You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How Do We Keep Up With Our International Rivals?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How Do We Keep Up With Our International Rivals?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2014 at 4:02pm

State involvement in certain key industries and killing the infirm and old. How very Germany c 1936.

Sponsored Links

roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2014 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Just saying like Just saying like wrote:

If you can't see the difference between state funding for the horse industry and state funding for football then I suggest you go back to counting LOI football matches where 1+1 apparently equals 4 Wink

I do get the difference you jackass.

My point is that it is backwards. The state should not fund profitible but politically powerful private industry over funding a sports infrastructure. You are arguing this on the basis it should be public policy to divert funds from the community to the rich and try and kill off people as early as possible.
Just saying like View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The truth is out there

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just saying like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2014 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Originally posted by Just saying like Just saying like wrote:

If you can't see the difference between state funding for the horse industry and state funding for football then I suggest you go back to counting LOI football matches where 1+1 apparently equals 4 Wink

I do get the difference you jackass.

My point is that it is backwards. The state should not fund profitible but politically powerful private industry over funding a sports infrastructure. You are arguing this on the basis it should be public policy to divert funds from the community to the rich and try and kill off people as early as possible.

So you obviously think the state should not give funds to Bord Failte to promote our profitable tourism business or to Bord Bia to promote our very profitable agri-food industry and give it to the FAI instead.  Only one jackass on this thread and it's not me.  Just stop digging for fcuk sake and move on.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2014 at 5:07pm
If certain industries are so successful why do they need state funding. Surely the job of the state is to intervene where their is market failure not where there is a successful market in place.

I.e. unemployment benefit for people who cannot find work esp in a recession as wholesale poverty and homelessness would affect the whole of society and not just those directly affected.

Using your logic the state should only help people who are doing well for themselves as they will get a better Return on investment helping out those who can help themselves.

Not everything is about the immediate return on investment.

Certain areas of society give longer term returns in investment and others give you a return which cannot be mesusred in monetary terms.

Edited by Baldrick - 30 May 2014 at 5:08pm
AKA pedantic kunt
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2014 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

So in about 120 years we lost one established pro to the Gardai/Gah nexus and one promising player who drifted back into rugby. Hardly scientific proof.

I would love to blame the agrisports for Paul Greene, but it is way to simplified.
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The truth is out there

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just saying like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2014 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

If certain industries are so successful why do they need state funding. Surely the job of the state is to intervene where their is market failure not where there is a successful market in place.

I.e. unemployment benefit for people who cannot find work esp in a recession as wholesale poverty and homelessness would affect the whole of society and not just those directly affected.

Using your logic the state should only help people who are doing well for themselves as they will get a better Return on investment helping out those who can help themselves.

Not everything is about the immediate return on investment.

Certain areas of society give longer term returns in investment and others give you a return which cannot be mesusred in monetary terms.

As was pointed out so eloquently by my friend RTID I am not an economist.  However as far as I know it is the role of the state to encourage and support economic activity.  I have no problem with the state directly assisting unemployed persons but it would be far preferable from a social and economic viewpoint if the state could encourage the creation and retention of employment so that these people could actually go out to work.  I never at any time suggested the state should only help people who are doing well for themselves.  My point was and remains the state should prioritise funding for industry where it is necessary to ensure the retention and creation of jobs over funding for sporting organisations like the FAI, GAA and IRFU.

Edited by Just saying like - 30 May 2014 at 6:16pm
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 1:43am
First off, congrats to Ybig on their 9th anniversary, which is some feat for any forum website which invariably ends up canned after a few months. I only discovered the site by chance a couple of years ago and it offers a great sounding-board for the opinions of Irish soccer fans.

Given there are more threads on this site than a textile factory in Bangladesh, it`s hard to keep up with the various comment. I began this thread with a pointed and what I thought was a pertinent question: how do we keep up with our international rivals? (i.e., nations across Europe are currently developing state-of-the-art coaching academies for their youth, while we`re dithering and hoping "ah sure, if we send enough young lads over to England we`ll end up with a great team").

My thread soon went south, with the usual suspects continuing their spats or squabbles decidedly off-thread. I was trying to address the issue of future development for our international soccer team and MayoMark made an interesting contribution. As for RTID, Roger Milla, etc, arguing about the merits or otherwise of the Irish Bloodstock industry to the Irish economy, do these guys not grasp the basic characteristics of a thread - that you stay within topic and dont wander off to nitpick with other posters? It`s otherwise known as online etiquette...

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The truth is out there

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just saying like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 7:27am
Originally posted by Xpro Xpro wrote:

First off, congrats to Ybig on their 9th anniversary, which is some feat for any forum website which invariably ends up canned after a few months. I only discovered the site by chance a couple of years ago and it offers a great sounding-board for the opinions of Irish soccer fans.

Given there are more threads on this site than a textile factory in Bangladesh, it`s hard to keep up with the various comment. I began this thread with a pointed and what I thought was a pertinent question: how do we keep up with our international rivals? (i.e., nations across Europe are currently developing state-of-the-art coaching academies for their youth, while we`re dithering and hoping "ah sure, if we send enough young lads over to England we`ll end up with a great team").

My thread soon went south, with the usual suspects continuing their spats or squabbles decidedly off-thread. I was trying to address the issue of future development for our international soccer team and MayoMark made an interesting contribution. As for RTID, Roger Milla, etc, arguing about the merits or otherwise of the Irish Bloodstock industry to the Irish economy, do these guys not grasp the basic characteristics of a thread - that you stay within topic and dont wander off to nitpick with other posters? It`s otherwise known as online etiquette...

I couldn't agree more.  Well said Xpro.  Cop yourselves on lads, stop bullsh*tting about horses and dogs and learn a bit of online etiquette Big smile.  
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 9:46pm
This is the 4th time I've seen Chile this year and they have looked so efficient everytime. Backed them to reach the semi and it's not a bad bet!

But I remembernot so long ago Chile were very average. I remember they beat us at landsdowme about 10 years ago and it was a shock.

Chile are not the only team who have come from the wilderness.

Anyway my point, we need to find out what the hell is going on in these countries and try and emulate it.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 9:54pm
Cycles.

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

This is the 4th time I've seen Chile this year and they have looked so efficient everytime. Backed them to reach the semi and it's not a bad bet!

But I remembernot so long ago Chile were very average. I remember they beat us at landsdowme about 10 years ago and it was a shock.

Anyway my point, we need to find out what the hell is going on in these countries and try and emulate it.

They have a population of 17 million people, soccer mad nation and happen to have a competitive domestic league. 

Edited by Green Devil - 18 Jun 2014 at 10:16pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
tribalarmy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Marcelo Bielsa happened.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 10:34pm
Zamorano and Salas were long before Bielsa.

Edited by Gary McKay - 18 Jun 2014 at 10:34pm
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 10:38pm
The simple fact is that the South Americans know how to play football and we don't .
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
tribalarmy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

But Bielsa is what happened in the 10 years that trandy was talking about. He's the one that gave this group of players an identity and style that suits their abilities perfectly.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2014 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by tribalarmy tribalarmy wrote:

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

But Bielsa is what happened in the 10 years that trandy was talking about. He's the one that gave this group of players an identity and style that suits their abilities perfectly.

I know that and my point is that it goes in cycles.
In 4 years time Paraguay and Peru may qualify in place of Chile and Uraguay.
trapscat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trapscat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 10:08am
1st the fai need to invest in underage and forget about paying the aviva debt off by 2020
2nd get more coaches into national schools
3rd merge the SFAI, Junior leagues, FAIS etc under direct FAI control, to prevent them operating as separate entities, producing a unified body promoting soccer in this country.
4th Try to change the irish mindset from national sports, to international sports. As a GAA player I enjoy the game and enjoy when waterford do well, but I love when my country beats another on the international stage a whole lot more,
5th The CEO needs to get out of his bubble, that he thinks our underage system, is producing enough talent up to standard, for our international team. Listen to your grass roots, rather than your well paid advisors, and ERSI reports that allows him quote the areas that look good.

Edited by trapscat - 19 Jun 2014 at 10:22am
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 11:01am
Delaney was quoted recently as saying they wouldn't be able to pay off the Aviva debt before 2020.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic