Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Diego Maradona - 1986

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 20>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

The mystique around foreign players is gone in the modern era.  In the past you never really saw great foreign players play except at major finals.  Nowadays you know what players eat for breakfast if you really wanted to find out. 

Euro 96 was the last one IMO 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 4:41pm
The film documentary doesn;t really answer some questions the viewer may have. 

1. Where did Napoli get the money to buy M A R A D O N A?
2. What happened in 1988?
3. Did Napoli fans lose some affection for him after the 1990 world cup defeat of Italy?
4. What happened in Sevilla and hen onto his come back at  USA 94. Why was he was singled out for a drugs test at USA '94?  He is the only player I have ever seen to be walked off the pitch by a drugs tester in full public view.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 4:43pm

3. Did Napoli fans lose some affection for him after the 1990 world cup defeat of Italy?
4. What happened in Sevilla and hen onto his come back at  USA 94. Why was he was singled out for a drugs test at USA '94?  He is the only player I have ever seen to be walked off the pitch by a drugs tester in full public view.

The Fat Tony types as far as I'm aware 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

The Fat Tony types as far as I'm aware 

Yeah I hazard a guess it was but then why blow the title in 1988 on purpose?  Why would they take on bets that they wouldnt win the scudetto in 1987/88 seeing as they had the best player int he world at his peak at the time?  Surely they were favourites. Also seeing as they were mafia they could sinply not pay out.

Edited by Trap junior - 27 Nov 2020 at 4:47pm

sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Every World Cup has absolutely brilliant players playing in it. Everything just seems better when you’re young. Italia ‘90 was the first I remember. Lots of people think it was sh*te. I thought it was fantastic.

I reckon this is it.
Innocent eyes when you are looking forward to every match.

Lack of internet also helped as you didn’t know all the players for the top teams. 
It's quite possible to cast an objective eye 

I don't believe it's a case of everything seeming better when you're young - that does happen, because it's human nature, but it also doesn't mean you can't cast an objective eye

Like, no objective eye can say that the popular music scene now is remotely close to the quality or cultural significance of what was being produced in the 1980s, or back to the 1960s of 1970s for that matter, when I wasn't alive

1990 was the first World Cup I properly remember and it's precious to me for all sorts of reasons, but that hasn't fooled me into thinking it was a good World Cup in football terms - it wasn't - in football terms it was the worst World Cup of the television age, certainly up to that point it was

However I think it was the last of the old school World Cups where everything was novelty

The pop culture that surrounded the 1990 World Cup was amazing and that's what most people remember - and that only happened because the World Cup then was such a big deal, I'd been waiting three and a half years for it because I just missed the 1986 one in terms of real memory, which to this day I feel regretful, angry and cheated by

But the pop culture that surrounds World Cups now is no big deal - the real pop culture or what remains of it now surrounds the club game

Even by '94 this had gone somewhat because live television had already changed the game

The truth is we'll almost certainly never have a World Cup like '86 or '82 again - those were different times and the World Cup meant simply meant more then than it does now

The World Cup up to '86 was the pinnacle of football not just in terms of excitement but in terms of standard - tactical systems were nowhere near as advanced in the club game as they are now

That began to change around the time of Sacchi's Milan - they were better than the West Germany team which won the World Cup, Capello's Milan were better than Brazil in '94

The best team in the world were no longer the team that won the World Cup, it was the team which won the European Cup

In the old days the World Cup was the cutting edge of football tactics - it was a less globalised world, players generally played in their home leagues, teams would bring different styles, and the game was slower, therefore there was more time for playmakers

Now, club tactics are so much more advanced, because they are finely tuned attacking systems which cannot happen at international level because there is no time to rehearse them - this is why Stephen Kenny has a big problem in what he is trying to do

World Cups now are just more football in a sea of never ending football - that's why they're not as special

Another thing that changed about major finals tournaments was the sense of local flavour, it has declined significantly - all the stadiums now are corporate lookalikes, all seater, they could be anywhere

Another thing about '86 that makes it special was that what Maradona did was achieved in the greatest World Cup venue ever, the Azteca Stadium

People invaded the pitch after the final, there was much more of a sense of realness about it all, like the crowds didn't seem nearly as corporate, nothing seemed as corporate and soulless

Italy-Brazil 1982 was not just memorable because it was such a great match, but because of its setting, Sarria in Barcelona, a cauldron with flags and klaxons blaring and real supporters, not corporate types

France-Portugal '84 was similar - even '88 in Germany was similar, in Italy in 1990, we saw the first of the soulless FIFA bowls - Bari and the Delle Alpi in Turin

The novelty factor World Cups had in the 1970s and 1980s has actually moved to things like elections in politics now, which are way more exciting than they were in the 1980s and 1990s, they're media extravaganzas

Edited by sid waddell - 27 Nov 2020 at 5:15pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 6:21pm
Statement: Maradona's second goal against Belgium in 1986 is the second greatest goal of all time

Agree or disagree?
trevwaterford View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevwaterford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 6:37pm
It was a brilliant goal and is often overlooked because of the two v England in the quarters. I love the way he kept his balance after scoring the goal. The first goal was a lovely finish too. I looked the two of them up today on youtube. What a player. He really hit his peak at that World Cup.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 7:51pm
We have a new subject for a documentary!

30 April 1980 saw the League of Ireland XI play Argentina for a second time, this time at the Estadio Monumental. On this occasion, a team that included Liam BuckleyTerry EvistonJohnny Walsh and Tommy McConville lost 1–0 to a goal scored by Diego Maradona.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/argentina-v-league-of-ireland-30-april-1980-235861/
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 7:58pm
When dribbling at top speed,the weight of his touch was incredible. It was in coordination with stride. He never broke stride. Each touch was perfectly placed for the next one. Unbelievable 
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

We have a new subject for a documentary!

30 April 1980 saw the League of Ireland XI play Argentina for a second time, this time at the Estadio Monumental. On this occasion, a team that included Liam BuckleyTerry EvistonJohnny Walsh and Tommy McConville lost 1–0 to a goal scored by Diego Maradona.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/argentina-v-league-of-ireland-30-april-1980-235861/
ive just been watching this in YouTube - never heard of the game before and was a bit confused as didn’t recognise any of the players compared to the game in landsdowne. The footage on YouTube is without sound and a bit faded so I was giving myself a pass. Cracking goal.

You’d just have to wonder how this was organised and where the €€ came from. Was it one game in South America or a mini tour.

Edited by Dalymount79 - 27 Nov 2020 at 8:07pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 8:06pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 8:12pm
HERO 1986 on FIFA facebook live now

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 8:28pm

Every World Cup has absolutely brilliant players playing in it. Everything just seems better when you’re young. Italia ‘90 was the first I remember. Lots of people think it was sh*te. I thought it was fantastic.

It's the Star Wars effect. Grown men geting upset that the follw ups were childish. The originals were childish ffs, they're kids' movies! LOL

World Cups are definitely better when you're a kid especially the first you remember. 

Although the ones I went on the p1ss at were great as well tbf.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

It's the Star Wars effect. Grown men geting upset that the follw ups were childish. The originals were childish ffs, they're kids' movies! LOL

World Cups are definitely better when you're a kid especially the first you remember. 

All football is childish

It's escapism

Football is supposed to bring out people's inner child, it's supposed to excite you

If it doesn't, there's not much of a point to it
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by trevwaterford trevwaterford wrote:

It was a brilliant goal and is often overlooked because of the two v England in the quarters. I love the way he kept his balance after scoring the goal. The first goal was a lovely finish too. I looked the two of them up today on youtube. What a player. He really hit his peak at that World Cup.
I've never seen anybody dominate a game of importance like Maradona dominated that game against Belgium

Messi has come close on a few occasions 

The 10 minute highlights package with BBC commentary is always worth watching

Some of John Motson's best ever commentary on it as well with lovely interjections from Jimmy Hill, the BBC at its very best - Jimmy Hill had a great World Cup in '86

Speaking of the BBC, the programme where Gary Lineker went to Argentina to meet Maradona in 2006 is on at 10pm tonight, I've already set record

What I remember coming across in the programme was that even for Lineker, just getting to meet Maradona was a huge thrill, he has an almost child like sense of wonder at the prospect

It seems everybody who ever met him feels the same in that regard

It seems everybody who ever even saw him play in the flesh feels like this

Edited by sid waddell - 27 Nov 2020 at 9:10pm
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 9:40pm

All football is childish

It's escapism

Football is supposed to bring out people's inner child, it's supposed to excite you

Speaking of points, that's quality missing it. Clap

None of what you said means that experiencing your fourth, fifth, sixt World Cup as an adult will have the same magic as when you're a child watching your first or even your second. 

Obviously, you'll still enjoy it. At times it will hopefully bring out your inner child. It's still not the same. That's all. It's generally not the quality of the games that will capture your attention at that age, it's the spectacle and the drama. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 9:54pm

All football is childish

It's escapism

Speaking of points, that's quality missing it. Clap

None of what you said means that experiencing your fourth, fifth, sixt World Cup as an adult will have the same magic as when you're a child watching your first or even your second. 

Obviously, you'll still enjoy it. At times it will hopefully bring out your inner child. It's still not the same. That's all. It's generally not the quality of the games that will capture your attention at that age, it's the spectacle and the drama. 

But how am I missing the point, whatever that is?

The "point" apparently being made is that it's impossible to evaluate World Cups you experienced as a child compared to other World Cups - if that's not the attempted "point", I'm not sure what the point is

That point is horsesh*t
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 9:59pm
For some reason if I could go back and see a WC it's always been the 86 WC. Was only a few months old at the time

Edited by Denis Irwin - 27 Nov 2020 at 9:59pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 20>
  Share Topic