You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gambling problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 28>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenArmy! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 10:21pm
It took some balls for Ringerbell to come on and admit he has a problem and for Juicebomb to come on and take the piss was very disrespectful, there's a time and place for jokes and this isn't one of them.

Fair play RingerbellThumbs Up
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 10:21pm
As a matter of interest what is the difference between that comment and some of the posts on Greenforevers weight loss thread that are light hearted. There didnt seem to be any big deal there made over it and were taken in the right way.

Maybe that is the taboo with gambling addiction that you cant make any kind of light hearted comment over it. Thats more dangerous IMO.

Anyway Ive made my point and I dont have any more to say on it and its getting away from the point of the thread
brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

As a matter of interest what is the difference between that comment and some of the posts on Greenforevers weight loss thread that are light hearted. There didnt seem to be any big deal there made over it and were taken in the right way.

Maybe that is the taboo with gambling addiction that you cant make any kind of light hearted comment over it. Thats more dangerous IMO.

Anyway Ive made my point and I dont have any more to say on it and its getting away from the point of the thread

Good Jesus what an immature post, no connection what soever, and i am sticking with the thread, Disapprove
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by brianie brianie wrote:

Good Jesus what an immature post, no connection what soever, and i am sticking with the thread, Disapprove

Considering both are mental health problems that have a negative impact on physical health it seems to me that there is a taboo over this problem.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 8:07am
sh*te talk kerrzy , there is a huge difference between an addiction to gambling and a fondness for pies FFS
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 9:03am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

sh*te talk kerrzy , there is a huge difference between an addiction to gambling and a fondness for pies FFS

Judging by GF's posts on the thread I think it was more of an addiction than "a fondness for pies" when you are eating jumbo breakfast rolls, McDonalds daily and continuously eating sh*te throughout the day. CVD is also the biggest killer in Irish society with obesity a major cause.

BTW I hope it doesnt sound like I am dismissing the seriousness that is gambling addiction. I just think that its a taboo subject unlike other addictions
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 9:34am
kerzy raises a good point. People joke about weight issues and see it as someone fault if someone is obese but don't see it the same way of its drink or gambling. It is interesting to see the different reactions to addictions from food, sex, drugs, drink and gambling.

best of luck with it ringer and fair play
AKA pedantic kunt
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 9:39am

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Judging by GF's posts on the thread I think it was more of an addiction than "a fondness for pies" when you are eating jumbo breakfast rolls, McDonalds daily and continuously eating sh*te throughout the day. CVD is also the biggest killer in Irish society with obesity a major cause.

BTW I hope it doesnt sound like I am dismissing the seriousness that is gambling addiction. I just think that its a taboo subject unlike other addictions

ok will take your point there but i still reckon GF ( apologies for using you as an example ) is still in the "lifestyle" changes territory while an alcoholic for example would find it much harder ( and perhaps impossible ) than an over-eater.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 9:52am
Anyone trying to deal with any personal issues causing serious problems in their lives should be supported on this forum irrespective whether its food, drink, gambling or drugs and in fairness to the vast majority on here are bang on.

A crass joke or comment should be pitied and ignored rather than reacted to.

" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 10:48am

I was hazard a guess as to the people commenting on GF thread know him personally. If it was someone I knew made that comment I would of laughed it off but not when it's someone who I've never met in my life. I will admit I was very annoyed at it when I first seen it after I had received so much support on here from other people.

Anyway back onto the point today is day 5 and have planned to attend a GA meeting tonight. Also will be ringing the helpline on gamcare again later as its good to have support there on the other end of the phone
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

Ever think of a new hobby RB ? It has worked for a couple of mates of nine mine trying to get off the partying - one is now a pretty handy triathlete. You don't have to go to that extent butyou get my point.

I'm getting back playing gaa this year. Used to play non stop up until I was 18 and picked up an injury. Stopped playing and then lost all interest due to being preoccupied by betting played a few games last year and realised how much I missed it so going to get back from the start this year. Also helping to organise a charity event for a very worthy charity so keeping myself busy
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 10:55am
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

Ever think of a new hobby RB ? It has worked for a couple of mates of nine mine trying to get off the partying - one is now a pretty handy triathlete. You don't have to go to that extent butyou get my point.

I'm getting back playing gaa this year. Used to play non stop up until I was 18 and picked up an injury. Stopped playing and then lost all interest due to being preoccupied by betting played a few games last year and realised how much I missed it so going to get back from the start this year. Also helping to organise a charity event for a very worthy charity so keeping myself busy

good man RB , as i said before avoiding lads who gamble or asking them not to mention it in your presence will also help a lot.

greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 11:00am
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

I was hazard a guess as to the people commenting on GF thread know him personally. If it was someone I knew made that comment I would of laughed it off but not when it's someone who I've never met in my life. I will admit I was very annoyed at it when I first seen it after I had received so much support on here from other people.

Anyway back onto the point today is day 5 and have planned to attend a GA meeting tonight. Also will be ringing the helpline on gamcare again later as its good to have support there on the other end of the phone

You are right aswell, I don't take offence when people I know sl*g me off, but it is different when it's people you don't know.

Also being fat is in my case a lifestyle choice (not a good one) by being too lazy to exercise, and not eating properly.

A gambling addiction is completely different IMO as it is far more likely to destroy lives, not just the addict's live but also their partners, children's, and other relatives are affected by it.

Maybe anyone who wants to discuss addictions could do so on another thread and keep this thread solely for supporting Ringerbell.

Best of luck buddy,    YOU WILL SUCCEED

Edited by greenforever - 18 Mar 2014 at 11:01am
I know nothing :-)
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 11:13am

Am I the only one that sees the lighthearted side of Juicebomb's comment? People going way OTT.

Anyway best of luck Ringerbell

+1

It was a joke, and it back fired, and now posters queueing up to have a pop.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
londonirish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote londonirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 11:26am
Given the timing of his post, i'm assuming he has a few pints in him. Most probably feels like a bit of a prat now... i'm sure if an apology was put up all would be forgiven.

As for comparing this to weight loss decussions. You're either attention seeking or just plain stupid. Do me a favour...
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 11:26am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Am I the only one that sees the lighthearted side of Juicebomb's comment? People going way OTT.

Anyway best of luck Ringerbell

+1

It was a joke, and it back fired, and now posters queueing up to have a pop.

+2

If a more well known poster had said it there would've been a totally different reaction!

Anyway, best of luck Ringerbell, you know you can always rely on YBIG for support and to get things off your chest!
flow View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 11:26am
Best of luck
ShayGivensBum View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

The lighter coloured grass is painted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShayGivensBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 11:39am
Good man RB. If there is anything more I can do to help then let me know, just send me an aul pm Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 28>
  Share Topic