Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=48498
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 9:36pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Gambling problem
Posted By: ringerbell
Subject: Gambling problem
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 2:54pm
As some of yous might know I decided back at end of last year to stop gambling. This was because I realised I was betting money I couldn't really afford to lose and this was affecting those around me. I didn't seek any outside help for this and just cancelled accounts etc and wasnt finding it as hard as I expected it to be.

That was until this week. With the hype around Cheltenham I found myself setting up new accounts etc and have been betting away with no real thought on what else I could do with the money. That was until today when I spent money I owed my sister and now I feel really bad about everything and realise I might need to get some help on this issue after I see how easy I slipped right back into it. Wondering if anyone has any info on people who deal with this type of addition

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Replies:
Posted By: greenforever
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 2:57pm
gamblers anonymous, professional help from people who know is your best option IMO

very brave off you to admit it and it's probably the most important thing to admit that you have a problem.

-------------
I know nothing :-)

Posted By: ShayGivensBum
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 2:59pm
Ringerbell fair play for coming on here and seeking some help with this. 

This is a very big problem in Ireland esp with young men and it is very much swept under the carpet. 

Firstly have you self excluded yourself from all online bookies you had accounts with? If not do that. You can also self exclude from the shops. Just go in and let them know.

Secondly I would recommend you contact Gamcare (They offer a chat service there's the link -   http://www.gamcare.org.uk/chat2/) They will give you tips and advice. 

Good luck with giving it up again Clap

Posted By: Richmond Ultra
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 3:02pm
On accounts like paddy power,they give a list of organizations to contact.

-------------
Omnia Causa Fiunt

Posted By: eire32
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 3:04pm
Very hard time of the year.
Best of luck

Posted By: Stillhuntinghenry
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 3:06pm
Dont know how close you are to Derry rb but there are GA meetings up here weekly. I had a family member who lost everything to gambling and I mean everything. I wish it had a happy ending but it isn't, he never managed to turn things around and is still gambling abd destitute. But it's up to how hard you want to turn things around

-------------
"Not one cent" - RTID on Mark Quigley's pay-off from Shamrock

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 3:08pm
Here you go pal, best of luck

http://mindingyourhead.info/service/gamblers-anonymous-lderry

-------------

Posted By: irish_major
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 3:08pm
Good man ringerbell. Keep the head up, i can only imagine how tough it is. Ive had some good days and some bad days, i wouldnt say im addicted but can see how people get really roped in. Avoid the tips thread and threads like cheltenham for starters, just completely ignore them. Dont be too upset, im sure your sister will understand. Take it one day at a time and you'll be grand. 
At the end of the day its only money

-------------
Here we go again

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 3:12pm
A friend of mine had to do 6 weeks in the Rutland clinic, he was a lose everything and was terrible. Best thing he has ever done

Your situation doesn't sound that bad but it could go that way, if not checked properly.

As you have already given it up for a good while, it shows you can.

Best of luckThumbs Up

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 3:14pm
He also met Paul McGrath at the Rutland too, which was an added bonus.

He put some serious time into playing chess as there was a lot of time on the addicts hands, so his chess game improved a lot  - these are the unseen benefits you don't hear about.

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

Good man ringerbell. Keep the head up, i can only imagine how tough it is. Ive had some good days and some bad days, i wouldnt say im addicted but can see how people get really roped in. Avoid the tips thread and threads like cheltenham for starters, just completely ignore them. Dont be too upset, im sure your sister will understand. Take it one day at a time and you'll be grand. 
At the end of the day its only money

At the end of the day it's his life, not only money, addicts can and have lost homes, businesses, families etc.

A very brave move to post the issue here, or anywhere publically and he will need plenty of support.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 3:16pm
Cheers everyone good to see people willing to help me. I feel so bad about it that this time I'm determined to give it up for good. Will keep yous updated on how it going

-------------
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by ringerbell ringerbell wrote:

Cheers everyone good to see people willing to help me. I feel so bad about it that this time I'm determined to give it up for good. Will keep yous updated on how it going
Fair play really , hard to come out and say these things but at least you now you have a problem and you need to act on it sooner than later . Great advice from others also Thumbs Up

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 3:25pm
Sound skin is Ringerbell. Good luck with it pal Thumbs Up

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

Secondly I would recommend you contact Gamcare (They offer a chat service there's the link -   http://www.gamcare.org.uk/chat2/) They will give you tips and advice. 

Good luck with giving it up again Clap

Just signed up to this site so that's the 1st step. Last year I didn't feel the need to tell anyone or look for help as thought I could do this by myself but knw now its easier to beat with help from others

-------------

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 3:39pm
Ringerbell

Give 01 8721133 a ring and have a little chat. You'll get the help you need.

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 3:44pm
Can only echo what's been said before best of luck and hope you get sorted

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 3:50pm
I'd say I bet on a horse about 5 times a year, just not into it so have no idea what it takes to give it up. Best of luck with itThumbs Up

Posted By: cm79
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 4:12pm
Good luck ringerbell, it took great willpower to go a year without placing a bet.

I am sure you will get through this.

Posted By: daffyp
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 5:21pm

Bet ya a fiver you cant do it manWink

Nah only messing man fair play to you for coming and admitting it, iv been working in the game for 8 years and people are fooling themselves if they think they are beating the bookies or even level with them. if you go into a bookies or listen to a few of the experts on here they'd be able tell you when a horse last had a sh*te, while also claiming they turn a profit every year. id go as far to say there's not more than 100 people in this country that make a yearly profit, and they are obviously professional gamblers.

anyways keep it up and knock it on the headThumbs Up

Posted By: Green Devil
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 6:38pm
I had a minor gambling addiction per say, I'd spend hours every day in the bookies when I was out of work going back a few years ago. Now, while gambling wasn't always on mind when I went home, if I had money on my online I could bet on anything too.

For luck I was never a huge gambler, most of my bets were under the €20/€30 mark aside from some big bets on the likes of a Gold Cup, Champions League Final etc.

I'd have a huge knowledge of football and though I can beat the bookies, my horse knowledge was really vast too (not anymore) but still I found myself never having any luck. So around 13/14 months ago, I said f**k it. No more gambling, unless I was going to throw a small bet on something I really fancied.

No word of a lie, since January 2013 i'd say iv'e had no more than 10 bets & when I do bet, I actually enjoy it and its a great feeling. As i'm in full control of the amounts of money I'm putting on and I find myself backing what I want too, a gambling addict often bets on anything just to feel that thrill.

The first step is addmitting it, so you're on the right track.

-------------
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 6:44pm
Best of luck Ringerbell

Wouldn't be a big gambler myself. Would have a small bet on the Irish and English Grand Nationals and maybe the odd bet at Cheltenham. Would have a bet on the Masters and British Open and then an outright bet when the Euros/WC is on.

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: brianie
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 6:57pm
Very Brave and wise posting it on here Ringerbell, some good advice already given, Stick with it and Hope it goes wellThumbs Up

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 7:00pm
Hope it all goes well, never had a problem with this, but used to smoke myself and hated it and know the feeling off wanting to stop, and feels like you cant.But stick at it and use the advice the lads have given you here.

Posted By: BabbsBalls
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 7:51pm
Best of luck ringerbell. You will be grand I'm sure

-------------
l hear you are a racist now, father ?

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Best of luck ringerbell. You will be grand I'm sure
good oul Irishism
Top man is Ringer,best of luck kid

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by brianie brianie wrote:

Very Brave and wise posting it on here Ringerbell, some good advice already given, Stick with it and Hope it goes wellThumbs Up
What he said. I know a share of lads that have gambling problems and their whole life revolves around it and they do nothing about it. Good luck with it lad

Posted By: Blue Man
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 9:16pm
I was warned off it when I was 16. Has been some serious gamblers in my family, massive sums of money at stake so the mother always kept me straight. Id throw a bet on the World Cup/Euros for an interest in other games and Id put a bet on a League of Ireland or a Leinster Senior League/AUL game if I have the inside info but I don't think Ive ever better over 20 quid. Few of my mates are now betting ridiculous sums of money (in my eyes) and posting winning dockets to Facebook (which infuriates me). I genuinely wonder how much they are losing.

Best of luck Ringer, not an easy thing to admit

-------------
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010

Posted By: athlonecelt
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 9:26pm
Ringer it sounds like you are in more control than you may believe.  Well done on your confession and best of luck. 

Posted By: Jackthelad
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 9:36pm
Ringerbell you'll know yourself whats best to do from here but you may be able to learn this hard lesson all by yourself.
Lots of good advice on here, fair play to the lads.
I've had issues myself in the past and come out the other side (I think!) so don't beat yourself up, this week could be the making of ya.

-------------
Oh Poland we loved you.....

Posted By: GarageFlower
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2014 at 10:17pm

Very Brave and wise posting it on here Ringerbell, some good advice already given, Stick with it rand Hope it goes wellThumbs Up
Brian was spot on .Brave and wise move Ringer!Keep the faith and you'll come out the other side...you're posts suggest you a smart lad(bar the Donegal ones)We all have our struggles in life but you've made a smart move on this and the lads here will support you...some sound advice given.

-------------
Heskey..Zorro..The match is Tomorrow!!                      She loves Cox!She loves Cox!!

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 12:21am
Ringer, very brave to post on here. Clap

Don't bottle it up and don't blame yourself either. Tell your family what has happened, tell your sister and tell her the money is on the way. Your family love you and they will be there to help. There might be anger at first but it comes from a good place.

-------------

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 1:52am
Fair play Ringer.best of luck .
I would say gambling addiction is worse than drink but doesn't get the same coverage.huge problem in Ireland.

Posted By: Del-Piero
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 2:45am
Originally posted by Blue Man Blue Man wrote:

Few of my mates are now betting ridiculous sums of money (in my eyes) and posting winning dockets to Facebook (which infuriates me). I genuinely wonder how much they are losing.

This absolute does my head in, have said it to a friend of mine to post up the docket of what he loses, never has unfortunately.

As some of yous might know I decided back at end of last year to stop gambling. This was because I realised I was betting money I couldn't really afford to lose and this was affecting those around me. I didn't seek any outside help for this and just cancelled accounts etc and wasnt finding it as hard as I expected it to be.

That was until this week. With the hype around Cheltenham I found myself setting up new accounts etc and have been betting away with no real thought on what else I could do with the money. That was until today when I spent money I owed my sister and now I feel really bad about everything and realise I might need to get some help on this issue after I see how easy I slipped right back into it. Wondering if anyone has any info on people who deal with this type of addition

I count myself lucky. I almost got sucked into an addiction with gambling around 2011, on accumalators especially. My late uncle had a great interest in horse racing and betting but it never passed onto me. Strangely enough after he passed away, I stopped my betting and have never looked back since. No real connection between the two but maybe it took a life changing event like that was for me to realise what was more important. I only hope its the same for you to lad.

I would echo what SuperDave has said, your family will understand. Sure they may not be happy for a start but they won't let that stop them from supporting and helping you through this, especially if you want to make that effort yourself.

It has taken massive courage to post up here for a start. I would think its a big step alone to admitto your family, but a forum is another step up altogether. Thankfully judging from the posts on this thread so far, posters here understand too Thumbs Up

Best of luck with it lad, you will have plenty of support no matter how tough it gets!

-------------
I don't quite see how you cherish the memory of the dead by killing another million. And, this is not combat, it's an act of lunacy, General Sir.

Personally, I think you're a f**king idiot.

Posted By: londonirish
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 1:15pm
Top man, very brave and nothing to be ashamed off. Good luck and keep talking to people as it will help. Hiding addiction is the biggest mistake people can make

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 1:49pm
Fair play ringer, all the best. Seeing you have a problem and seeking help is a great start for ya anyway. I know a couple of lads at home who could do with seeking help also but they can't see it themselves

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Fair play ringer, all the best. Seeing you have a problem and seeking help is a great start for ya anyway. I know a couple of lads at home who could do with seeking help also but they can't see it themselves

It's a big issue up here but a lot of people don't think it's a problem and I used to be like that, used to love when my college grant came in would blow the lot in the bookies by end of the weekend and think nothing off it

Determined to beat it this time though. Was a little worried about today that I would slip back to what I was like putting on numerous accumulators and few bets on the gaa but haven't felt the need to and won't do it. I have told myself that the money I save from not betting will go towards doing things I enjoy and also will give some of it to charity at the end of the year

-------------

Posted By: thebronze14
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 2:50pm

Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

It's a big issue up here but a lot of people don't think it's a problem and I used to be like that, used to love when my college grant came in would blow the lot in the bookies by end of the weekend and think nothing off it

Determined to beat it this time though. Was a little worried about today that I would slip back to what I was like putting on numerous accumulators and few bets on the gaa but haven't felt the need to and won't do it. I have told myself that the money I save from not betting will go towards doing things I enjoy and also will give some of it to charity at the end of the year
Yeah totally agree gambling addiction is a major problem amongst young males in Donegal, most cases I know being people who can't really afford to lose it as well. Not as easily spotted as it's not an addiction that is readily visible to the eye compared to alcohol or drugs as people are not staggering around or looking as though though they have taken something. The money saved will come in handy for the Ireland trips in the autumn as well as Donegal's march to Croke Park!Smile

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 3:27pm
Well today is day 3 since put this up here. Had the urge to put bet on the gaa this weekend but stopped myself. The parents returned home from their weekend away and as expected this news wasnt received to well. Have agreed to support me through it again as long as I go get support this time. Have looked up my local GA meetings and will be attending these this week

-------------

Posted By: colmoc
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 3:31pm

Well today is day 3 since put this up here. Had the urge to put bet on the gaa this weekend but stopped myself. The parents returned home from their weekend away and as expected this news wasnt received to well. Have agreed to support me through it again as long as I go get support this time. Have looked up my local GA meetings and will be attending these this week
fair play ringer early days but your on the road now at least

Posted By: FREEWHEELER
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 5:38pm
Besta luck man, fair play on facing it

-------------
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 5:47pm
Ringer you are a big sports fan and it is very hard because it is tied in with sport, cancel all accounts and keep the temptation away avoid the bookies and lads who you know are gamblers, enjoy the sport for what it is a competition between top players and avoid looking at it with a gambling mindset,

Good on you chief, hope it all works out.

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 6:09pm

-------------

Posted By: daithi
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 6:30pm
Good lad is Ringer, very best of luck with this Thumbs Up

-------------
Just because it's tradition does not make it right

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 9:21pm

ClapClapClap

Your parents love you, remember that. It was obviously tough to tell them but you're doing brilliantly. The first few days are always really tough.

You have to try not to look at sporting events as potential bets and also not beat yourself up if something you thought of betting on wins - you need to realise that you'll only remember the winners you didn't back rather than the losers you didn't. It's a tough road but you're going the right way.

-------------

Posted By: SuperDub
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 9:35pm

Well done ringer for getting support just take it one step at a time.

Posted By: JUICEBOMB
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 10:54pm
8/11 ringerbell to fall of the wagon.........6/4 to stay on it.....c'mon people who's betting????

-------------
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

Posted By: Joe Stalin
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 1:27am
I was on the fringes of severe gambling problems not so long ago. The low point was when I persuaded my missus that a night out in a casino wold be good way to spend our anniversary....and I then proceeded to lose 2k (well more than a month's wages at the time). There were other wknds like that too. She stuck with me thanks be to god, took control of the finances and we turned things around.

Stick with it buddy, like me it sounds like you're catching it before it becomes too late (and I've met those guys and heard their stories). You'll pull through and feel free to PM me if you want. 

It always infuriates me just how easy the gambling industry has - all of the opportunity and none of the responsibilities. I'd regulate it to within an inch of its life. Sky has ads for every sort of online casino -  I'm just glad online gambling wasn't as prevalent in my day. Bookies offices are sad places at the end of the day. 

Best of luck.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 4:28am
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

8/11 ringerbell to fall of the wagon.........6/4 to stay on it.....c'mon people who's betting????
you are one sad individual

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 4:29am

f**k off .places on here to act the bollix and this ain't one.

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 6:40am

Show a bit of respect for the lad

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 2:21pm

It's people like you and comments like this that stops people from talking about this addition. Tell you what if you so sure I won't succeed in this why don't you donate that money to a charity when I prove you wrong

-------------

Posted By: PanteirA
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 3:23pm

you are some gobsh*te

Posted By: Flanno7hi
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 3:31pm

Don't need ****'s like this on this kind of thread. Judge the thread before you make stupid f**king comments.

You are like the thick f**kers that tell alcoholics that "ah sure it's only one drink"

Fair play RB for coming on here and highlighting the problem.

-------------
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 3:39pm

what a ****

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 3:49pm

In a word, you are a c*unt.

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 7:28pm

Best of luck chief

Posted By: captkeen
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 7:51pm
Well done ringerbell, stick to it, you can do it, your a very brave person to post this up, i hope and pray you get all the help you need,  WELL DONE .

-------------
Live Long and Prosper.

Posted By: Scamper
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 8:02pm

You my good lad, are a qualified prick!!!! Angry

-------------
====#Everywhere you play, We'll Follow====

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Scamper Scamper wrote:

not a whole pile going on between the ears it seems

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by colmoc colmoc wrote:

Originally posted by Scamper Scamper wrote:

not a whole pile going on between the ears it seems

Be funny if yous took him up on them odds. Seen that comment last night and stopped myself her reacting till today so I had calmed down. Anyway this is day 4 without a bet and talked to people on the link SGB provided me

-------------

Posted By: captkeen
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 8:31pm
Well Done, Stay positive, YOU CAN DO IT.Thumbs Up

-------------
Live Long and Prosper.

Posted By: tony grealish
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 8:49pm
Fair play RB - keep it up, no bother to ya.Thumbs Up

-------------
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 9:09pm
Ever think of a new hobby RB ? It has worked for a couple of mates of nine mine trying to get off the partying - one is now a pretty handy triathlete. You don't have to go to that extent butyou get my point.

-------------

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 9:16pm
Am I the only one that sees the lighthearted side of Juicebomb's comment? People going way OTT.

Anyway best of luck Ringerbell

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Am I the only one that sees the lighthearted side of Juicebomb's comment? People going way OTT.

Surprised at you Kerzy, in my opinion one of the most inappropriate and disgusting posts on here in a long time, Where addiction is concerned and someone is brave enough to seek help, comments from Prats like Juicebomb contain no lighthearted side whatsoever and again Ringerbell Stay with itThumbs Up

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 9:38pm

Surprised at you Kerzy, in my opinion one of the most inappropriate and disgusting posts on here in a long time, Where addiction is concerned and someone is brave enough to seek help, comments from Prats like Juicebomb contain no lighthearted side whatsoever and again Ringerbell Stay with itThumbs Up

It was a sarcastic comment that Juicebomb obviously didnt post in a malicious manner. I dont know him but Im sure he also wishes him the best. I cerainly wouldnt be getting angry over it. Anyway each to their own

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 9:50pm

It was a sarcastic comment that Juicebomb obviously didnt post in a malicious manner. I dont know him but Im sure he also wishes him the best. I cerainly wouldnt be getting angry over it. Anyway each to their own

If you dont know him how do you presume it wasnt posted in a malicious manner, and how are you sure he wishes him the best? Genuine Poster is Ringerbell and a fine young man as well, Anyone who even begins to defend JBs original post is a complete and utter t**serCry

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 10:03pm

If you dont know him how do you presume it wasnt posted in a malicious manner, and how are you sure he wishes him the best? Genuine Poster is Ringerbell and a fine young man as well, Anyone who even begins to defend JBs original post is a complete and utter t**serCry

There is no reason to think otherwise. There would be something seriously wrong with Juicebomb if he didnt.

If that makes me a t**ser I'll just have to live with it. I think it was a light hearted post taken the wrong way and far too seriously.

Posted By: daffyp
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 10:05pm

How could you be surprised at Kerrzy, he always goes against popular opinion, he's YBIG answer to Ian O'Doherty

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 10:06pm
It would be like someone coming on saying they were an alcoholic and then someone else saying "do you want to have a pint and talk about it?". It's totally inappropriate and absolute w**kery.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 10:15pm

There is no reason to think otherwise. There would be something seriously wrong with Juicebomb if he didnt.

If that makes me a t**ser I'll just have to live with it. I think it was a light hearted post taken the wrong way and far too seriously.
Life is far to easy for you KerzyThumbs Down

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

Posted By: GreenArmy!
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 10:21pm
It took some balls for Ringerbell to come on and admit he has a problem and for Juicebomb to come on and take the piss was very disrespectful, there's a time and place for jokes and this isn't one of them.

Fair play RingerbellThumbs Up

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 10:21pm
As a matter of interest what is the difference between that comment and some of the posts on Greenforevers weight loss thread that are light hearted. There didnt seem to be any big deal there made over it and were taken in the right way.

Maybe that is the taboo with gambling addiction that you cant make any kind of light hearted comment over it. Thats more dangerous IMO.

Anyway Ive made my point and I dont have any more to say on it and its getting away from the point of the thread

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 10:29pm

As a matter of interest what is the difference between that comment and some of the posts on Greenforevers weight loss thread that are light hearted. There didnt seem to be any big deal there made over it and were taken in the right way.

Maybe that is the taboo with gambling addiction that you cant make any kind of light hearted comment over it. Thats more dangerous IMO.

Anyway Ive made my point and I dont have any more to say on it and its getting away from the point of the thread

Good Jesus what an immature post, no connection what soever, and i am sticking with the thread, Disapprove

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 10:40pm

Good Jesus what an immature post, no connection what soever, and i am sticking with the thread, Disapprove

Considering both are mental health problems that have a negative impact on physical health it seems to me that there is a taboo over this problem.

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 8:07am
sh*te talk kerrzy , there is a huge difference between an addiction to gambling and a fondness for pies FFS

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 9:03am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

sh*te talk kerrzy , there is a huge difference between an addiction to gambling and a fondness for pies FFS

Judging by GF's posts on the thread I think it was more of an addiction than "a fondness for pies" when you are eating jumbo breakfast rolls, McDonalds daily and continuously eating sh*te throughout the day. CVD is also the biggest killer in Irish society with obesity a major cause.

BTW I hope it doesnt sound like I am dismissing the seriousness that is gambling addiction. I just think that its a taboo subject unlike other addictions

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 9:34am
kerzy raises a good point. People joke about weight issues and see it as someone fault if someone is obese but don't see it the same way of its drink or gambling. It is interesting to see the different reactions to addictions from food, sex, drugs, drink and gambling.

best of luck with it ringer and fair play

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 9:39am

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Judging by GF's posts on the thread I think it was more of an addiction than "a fondness for pies" when you are eating jumbo breakfast rolls, McDonalds daily and continuously eating sh*te throughout the day. CVD is also the biggest killer in Irish society with obesity a major cause.

BTW I hope it doesnt sound like I am dismissing the seriousness that is gambling addiction. I just think that its a taboo subject unlike other addictions

ok will take your point there but i still reckon GF ( apologies for using you as an example ) is still in the "lifestyle" changes territory while an alcoholic for example would find it much harder ( and perhaps impossible ) than an over-eater.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 9:52am
Anyone trying to deal with any personal issues causing serious problems in their lives should be supported on this forum irrespective whether its food, drink, gambling or drugs and in fairness to the vast majority on here are bang on.

A crass joke or comment should be pitied and ignored rather than reacted to.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 10:48am

I was hazard a guess as to the people commenting on GF thread know him personally. If it was someone I knew made that comment I would of laughed it off but not when it's someone who I've never met in my life. I will admit I was very annoyed at it when I first seen it after I had received so much support on here from other people.

Anyway back onto the point today is day 5 and have planned to attend a GA meeting tonight. Also will be ringing the helpline on gamcare again later as its good to have support there on the other end of the phone

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

Ever think of a new hobby RB ? It has worked for a couple of mates of nine mine trying to get off the partying - one is now a pretty handy triathlete. You don't have to go to that extent butyou get my point.

I'm getting back playing gaa this year. Used to play non stop up until I was 18 and picked up an injury. Stopped playing and then lost all interest due to being preoccupied by betting played a few games last year and realised how much I missed it so going to get back from the start this year. Also helping to organise a charity event for a very worthy charity so keeping myself busy

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 10:55am

Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

I'm getting back playing gaa this year. Used to play non stop up until I was 18 and picked up an injury. Stopped playing and then lost all interest due to being preoccupied by betting played a few games last year and realised how much I missed it so going to get back from the start this year. Also helping to organise a charity event for a very worthy charity so keeping myself busy

good man RB , as i said before avoiding lads who gamble or asking them not to mention it in your presence will also help a lot.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 11:00am

I was hazard a guess as to the people commenting on GF thread know him personally. If it was someone I knew made that comment I would of laughed it off but not when it's someone who I've never met in my life. I will admit I was very annoyed at it when I first seen it after I had received so much support on here from other people.

Anyway back onto the point today is day 5 and have planned to attend a GA meeting tonight. Also will be ringing the helpline on gamcare again later as its good to have support there on the other end of the phone

You are right aswell, I don't take offence when people I know sl*g me off, but it is different when it's people you don't know.

Also being fat is in my case a lifestyle choice (not a good one) by being too lazy to exercise, and not eating properly.

A gambling addiction is completely different IMO as it is far more likely to destroy lives, not just the addict's live but also their partners, children's, and other relatives are affected by it.

Maybe anyone who wants to discuss addictions could do so on another thread and keep this thread solely for supporting Ringerbell.

Best of luck buddy,    YOU WILL SUCCEED

-------------

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 11:13am

+1

It was a joke, and it back fired, and now posters queueing up to have a pop.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 11:26am
Given the timing of his post, i'm assuming he has a few pints in him. Most probably feels like a bit of a prat now... i'm sure if an apology was put up all would be forgiven.

As for comparing this to weight loss decussions. You're either attention seeking or just plain stupid. Do me a favour...

Posted By: BigPodge
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

+1

+2

If a more well known poster had said it there would've been a totally different reaction!

Anyway, best of luck Ringerbell, you know you can always rely on YBIG for support and to get things off your chest!

-------------

Posted By: flow
Best of luck

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 11:39am
Good man RB. If there is anything more I can do to help then let me know, just send me an aul pm Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 11:47am
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

+1

+2

If a more well known poster had said it there would've been a totally different reaction!

Anyway, best of luck Ringerbell, you know you can always rely on YBIG for support and to get things off your chest!
Lads the person who was the butt of the "joke" has come out and said he was really offended by the comment. So all the +1 +2 is invalid,he didn't appreciate the joke,rightly so,and it's case closed. JuiceBomb is an idiot.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 11:51am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

+1

+2

Lads the person who was the butt of the "joke" has come out and said he was really offended by the comment. So all the +1 +2 is invalid,he didn't appreciate the joke,rightly so,and it's case closed. JuiceBomb is an idiot.

Just on that principle BSM,  the West of Ireland supporters club were offended also by jokes on here and posted as much but that did not stop the jokes.  (Not comparing but just pointing out that, that principle of being offended does not always hold water on here (pardon the pun).  

Who knows what Juicebomb is going through also.  Maybe he is suffering from mental health issues and it would not do him good that a load of people on ybig are having a pop at him.  Maybe he just had a few drinks and got the tone wrong. 

Again Ringerbell fair play on being so honest and  you are doing the right thing and have great plans.  Hopefully Juicebomb, knows now that he offended you and got his joke wrong.     

Jokes are made here all the time and many people get offended and some don't.  Does not mean the person making the joke meant to offend either.     What we do not want is a crowd of people turning on one person as that is not healthy either.  

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 11:53am

+1

+2

I don't think Juicebomb is an idiot.

People took him up differently.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 12:20pm

+1

+2

People? Does that include Ringerbell? I'm not losing any sleep over his comment,but feel for RB
Baldrick I don't see the comparison between this and Galway jibes. I really don't but maybe that's just me

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 12:26pm

+1

+2

People? Does that include Ringerbell? I'm not losing any sleep over his comment,but feel for RB
Baldrick I don't see the comparison between this and Galway jibes. I really don't but maybe that's just me

The comparison was just on the matter of principle  that just because someone gets offended does not mean offence was meant and it does not necessarily means the jokes stop on here. 

The West of Ireland gang did not like the comments on here and Ringerbell did not like the joke Juicebomb made either.  

Thats were the comparison begins and ends.  The seriousness of the issues are not comparable at all. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 12:29pm
Will you ever knock it off, FFS.

The lad very bravely publically admitted a problem and he should be supported.

The rest is all bollix.

-------------

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 12:33pm
Don't know why, but I'm only dying to make a bet related postEmbarrassed I will however hold off...

Good stuff RB, each day on its own Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Will you ever knock it off, FFS.

The lad very bravely publically admitted a problem and he should be supported.

The rest is all bollix.

Correct.
Keep going rb you have our full support don't mind the views of others

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 12:34pm
Yeah ffs shut up about the comment and move on - JAYSUS.

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

Yeah ffs shut up about the comment and move on - JAYSUS.

+1

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net