You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UFC - thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 169170171172173 185>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

Mcgregor living rent free in so many peoples heads. That's why he's the biggest draw. You either love or hate him.

There was definitely far less interest and hype in this fight than his previous ones and that isn’t all down to it being behind closed doors 
Not worldwide which is all that matters. He's a global draw and he's loved and hated equally. That was one of the top PPV's ever for the ufc and a Diaz Trilogy fight next could be even bigger. Mcgregor has lost 5 or 6 times. He's appeal isn't dependant on winning every fight as it is for almost every fighter. 

I love him as a fighter as I do most of the top lightweights. As a person I don't really care. Same for Mike Tyson, Ali, Khabib, Poirier, Tony Ferguson etc. Some have done scummy things some haven't. At the end of the day I'm paying to watching humans beat each other within an inch of their life.

The obsession by some of his haters here just reminds me of other platforms I get my mma news on. Some absolutely hate him and can't stop telling people how much they hope he gets knocked out while others love or like him. The end result is everybody pays attention when he fights good or bad. It's why he's such a global star and ultimately mega mega rich. 

Not only that but his legacy is sealed and now he's fighting either for money or love of the sport. Probably a bit of both. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 7:56pm
I paid no attention and have no interest in WWE, or whatever it is called. I do know he is a vile human being and was amused to discover he had got a fraction of what he deserves.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Mcgregor living rent free in so many peoples heads. That's why he's the biggest draw. You either love or hate him.

There was definitely far less interest and hype in this fight than his previous ones and that isn’t all down to it being behind closed doors 

It wasn't behind closed doors?

Was it not?
Point proven, shows how much interest I had in it lol 
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 8:06pm

Was it not?
And this is why mcgregor is a global superstar. People like you with no interest still take notice of this fight. So people who are casual fans who are not die hards will be very likely to tune in and even pay to watch.

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 8:10pm

Was it not?

Personal opinion on this but I think the declining interest is due to the fact the fanbase know he won't be fighting for a title anytime soon, and the nice man persona he's putting on isn't helping the cause, you watch McGregor for the WWE antics and sh*t-talk and the nice man persona has translated over into his ring performances - The likes of Jose Aldo, RDA and Eddie Alvarez were absolutely sh*t scared of him now he's this bloke who's literally asking what you time you went to bed last night and what you had for breakfast, it's just weird, uncomfortable and he's completely lost the fear factor he had because of it.

People might find the antics and sh*t-talking cringy but in both Boxing and MMA, being able to market yourself is more important than if you can actually fight - Look at the likes of the Youtubers 

Michael Chandler has been in the UFC quite literally 2 minutes and he decided to cut a Ric Flair promo afterwards and he'll probably end up getting a title shot out of it.

Edited by coyne - 24 Jan 2021 at 8:11pm
ChesterCopperpot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 8:18pm

Didnt seem to be as much of a media drive behind it, but would think that PPV buys would still be high. Will be interesting to see the buy rate

As a championship contender, McGregor appears to be finished, but is probably still the biggest draw that the UFC have so will headline many more PPV's before retiring a very rich man. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 8:29pm

Was it not?
And this is why mcgregor is a global superstar. People like you with no interest still take notice of this fight. So people who are casual fans who are not die hards will be very likely to tune in and even pay to watch.

The only reason I heard about it was because he’s Irish 

If I was a similar person with no interest in ufc living in Poland I’d say I wouldn’t have even heard the result 
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 8:57pm

Was it not?

The only reason I heard about it was because he’s Irish 

If I was a similar person with no interest in ufc living in Poland I’d say I wouldn’t have even heard the result 
You'd be very surprised. His media reach is far and wide. 
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I paid no attention and have no interest in WWE, or whatever it is called. I do know he is a vile human being and was amused to discover he had got a fraction of what he deserves.

When it was the WWF that was the best - Hulk Hogan, Ultimate warrior, the undertaker etc

It was never the same when it changed to WWE.

The current UFC format is rubbish. They don’t even to a royal rumble anymore or tag teams. 

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

The current UFC format is rubbish. They don’t even to a royal rumble anymore or tag teams. 

Post-Khabib fight suggests otherwise LOL

Was more like a Lumberjack match LOL
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

When it was the WWF that was the best - Hulk Hogan, Ultimate warrior, the undertaker etc

It was never the same when it changed to WWE.

The Ultimate Warrior had some unfortunate views about homosexual people.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 8:29am
The Ultimate Warrior was a man in good shape and had a job that involved dressing up, face paint, putting on a deeper voice and bad hair rock. It is fair to say that, like the majority of homophobes, he was more in the cupboard than the closet.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 9:31am

The Ultimate Warrior was a man in good shape and had a job that involved dressing up, face paint, putting on a deeper voice and bad hair rock. It is fair to say that, like the majority of homophobes, he was more in the cupboard than the closet.

I'd say he was definitely alot more in the cupboard as he had that illness where he genuinely thought he was The Ultimate Warrior and used to dress up in his WWE attire outside of his job LOL
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 10:06am
Can't believe some of the comments from the McGregor haters on here.
Next thing they will be telling us that the old lad in the pub didn't walk his head into McGregor's fist. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 10:28am

Was it not?

Personal opinion on this but I think the declining interest is due to the fact the fanbase know he won't be fighting for a title anytime soon, and the nice man persona he's putting on isn't helping the cause, you watch McGregor for the WWE antics and sh*t-talk and the nice man persona has translated over into his ring performances - The likes of Jose Aldo, RDA and Eddie Alvarez were absolutely sh*t scared of him now he's this bloke who's literally asking what you time you went to bed last night and what you had for breakfast, it's just weird, uncomfortable and he's completely lost the fear factor he had because of it.

People might find the antics and sh*t-talking cringy but in both Boxing and MMA, being able to market yourself is more important than if you can actually fight - Look at the likes of the Youtubers 

Michael Chandler has been in the UFC quite literally 2 minutes and he decided to cut a Ric Flair promo afterwards and he'll probably end up getting a title shot out of it.

Yes, Chandler is very exciting prospect now.

Also, McGregor is now living off his past reputation, which he earned mostly from his sh*te talk, antics and his left hand. sh*te talk and antics have diminished and potentially his left hand and fight game too are on the slide. 
His latest fights for me say he is not really that tough when the going gets tough. If you catch him with a half decent shot then he is in trouble. He may need to go back to Featherweight to really get back his upper hand when it comes to power, which I don't think he would put himself through the weight cut process.

So what is left for him are the money fights. Diaz makes sense as a next fight. 

It would be good if they brought back the sh*te talk and antics. It's what made him and it's no coincidence when you see the biggest buy-rates for last 12 months, you have Masvidal's fight with Usman the only fight doing similar numbers to McGregor, another sh*te talker!

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 10:36am

I'd say he was definitely alot more in the cupboard as he had that illness where he genuinely thought he was The Ultimate Warrior and used to dress up in his WWE attire outside of his job LOL

I’d say a more than a few of them went about like that! 
The daily injections didn’t help

Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 10:55am
Maybe steroid abuse is a reason for McGregor's behaviour. It's well known how the wrestlers all went crazy
It would damage this forums' reputation
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Maybe steroid abuse is a reason for McGregor's behaviour. It's well known how the wrestlers all went crazy

Unlikely as he was always a ****
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 169170171172173 185>
  Share Topic