You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UFC - thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 118119120121122 185>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

People end up on the streets for all sorts of reasons, relationships breaking down, house repossessions, job loss and not able to pay extortionate rents.
What sort of question is that ffs?

Do none of said people have family’s to put them up while they get their ducks in a row ?

Some will, a lot won’t.
There’s an awful lot of people on the verge of homelessness in Ireland, especially in cities.
Homelessness as an issue is far bigger & wide reaching than those visible on our streets.
That’s the sad reality

That’s the common thread alright. But let’s be honest . Very few decent people have no one to turn to . Do you honestly know anyone who has no family or friends ? I struggle to think of one.

1 or 2. That’s about it.
Go up to the maldron in city west or the regency or plenty of other budget hotels during the week to see an unseen side to homelessness.
Was on a training course in city west a few weeks back and was shocked by the amount of single mothers living there
But yeah let this thread get back to the UFC
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 1:20pm

People end up on the streets for all sorts of reasons, relationships breaking down, house repossessions, job loss and not able to pay extortionate rents.

Do none of said people have family’s to put them up while they get their ducks in a row ?

Some will, a lot won’t.
There’s an awful lot of people on the verge of homelessness in Ireland, especially in cities.
Homelessness as an issue is far bigger & wide reaching than those visible on our streets.
That’s the sad reality

That’s the common thread alright. But let’s be honest . Very few decent people have no one to turn to . Do you honestly know anyone who has no family or friends ? I struggle to think of one.

1 or 2. That’s about it.
Go up to the maldron in city west or the regency or plenty of other budget hotels during the week to see an unseen side to homelessness.
Was on a training course in city west a few weeks back and was shocked by the amount of single mothers living there
But yeah let this thread get back to the UFC

The ngouannou chap is fantastic and scary. Real rags to riches story. Legitimately came from nothing

Alvarez seems a lovely fella delighted to see him get back on track with the win

Conor plonked on a table with Rita ora at the Versace awards last night. Hard life the mac life.

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 1:25pm
I know I said enough of the trash posts but I wonder what his lass thinks of Rita Ora calling her fella a date.

Personally if my lass saw me tagged on Facebook taking selfies with another girl captioning it as a date I’d probably get KO’d when I get home, or try to anyways

Edited by coyne - 05 Dec 2017 at 1:26pm
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Without being condescending, I've often wondered that myself
Sometimes their 'in-laws' wouldn't allow it.

If the person in question is on gear you would understand that to a certain extent. If not on drink or drugs the in-law should be f**ked out on the street . I’m not sure why at the moment there is an outcry from some people on the lack of action from the government. What exactly do they want to happen? Give out free houses and money ? In lots of cases there is free afterschool care now for single mothers. In countries the world over there are single mothers double jobbing and raising kids. But no, for some in our country having children is enough to get everything handed to you.

Edited by BabbsBalls - 05 Dec 2017 at 1:51pm
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 1:54pm

Thanks PM.

As someone who thinks quite rationally, of those who you know that are on the street, would you be of the opinion that some of their choices in life have contributed to their current situation ?

Yes, in the same way life choices lead to everybody's current situation. I doubt anybody wants to lose their job or struggle to pay the rent or mortgage, but you could argue that things they do may lead to that, that is open to debate. What isn't open to debate is how severe the punishment is for those 'choices'.
To argue the point, homelessness is doubling year on year in the city I currently live in as a result of a near complete absence of social housing, and an exorbitant private rental and buying market which isn't helped by the fact the rental market is dominated by a small few career landlords who monopolise the market, many of whom choose to deal exclusively with the large student population, exacerbating the problem.
As for them not being 'decent' people because they don't have family to turn to, I personally find that offensive. There are plenty of decent people on the streets, just because you might have a strong, supportive family doesn't mean that everyone will have. To give an example, one lad I know on the streets is an only child who had both his parents killed in a car crash as a teenager, he moved from the south coast to Cambridge at 18 to be with his girlfriend, when they split up he had nowhere to live and subsequently lost his job. I've had Ben over for dinner a few times, I can assure you he has no serious mental health issues, certainly has fewer than me and has no addictions as of yet. That's just one example, I know of others who have little or no contact with their families for a myriad of reasons. I understand as I don't talk to mine.
I think this is one of the major problems with homelessness, there is plenty sympathy but no empathy or understanding as people think everyone has the same family structure and relationships they do.
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

I know I said enough of the trash posts but I wonder what his lass thinks of Rita Ora calling her fella a date.

Personally if my lass saw me tagged on Facebook taking selfies with another girl captioning it as a date I’d probably get KO’d when I get home, or try to anyways

Id be willing to wear a slap if it was Rita Ora. I see she removed "date" from her Instagram.

These are the real issues in the world a long with the fan taking a dump in the Stadium of Light and a Sheff Utd fan having his prostethic limb stolen after a scuffle in darkest south east london. Never mind any of this hard brexit/soft brexit, the donald, north korea, terror attack stuff that is clogging up todays news

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 2:03pm
I presume that London you're talking about PM?
Is there the same lack of social housing in other English cities?
Why don't they move to another city to find a home, or would they just be in the same situation?

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 2:09pm

Why don't they move to another city to find a home, or would they just be in the same situation?

I live in Cambridge RB. There are numerous reasons why they don't move. Any 'decent' (see what I did there!) person I know has a homeless person they help out, many are afraid of losing that and starting in a new town with nothing. There is also the likelihood that they will be, unless they are incredibly lucky, unable to afford accommodation in another town, especially when they have no income to speak of. It would be, essentially, a huge risk for a small hope of reward.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 2:14pm
Rents and mortgages are high here in comparison to other countries, so are the wages . That’s life in Ireland . I might be far too harsh here but if someone has been in a job for more than a year or two they shouldn’t end up on the street if they lose the job. That’s just bad planning/managing your finances. I genuinely sympathise with people who’s luck had genuinely run out akin to Dan Akryod in Brewsters millions but the issue is rife with people who have made seriously bad choices.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 2:14pm

Rents and mortgages are high here in comparison to other countries, so are the wages . That’s life in Ireland . I might be far too harsh here but if someone has been in a job for more than a year or two they shouldn’t end up on the street if they lose the job. That’s just bad planning/managing your finances. I genuinely sympathise with people who’s luck had genuinely run out akin to Dan Akryod in Brewsters millions but the issue is rife with people who have made seriously bad choices.

If they're on minimum wage they aren't going to save much in a year or two.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 2:15pm
Walking down Gardiner Street about 20 minutes ago and a fella about 35 I guess wheeling a pram filled with full black sacks down the steps of one of the cheapo B&Bs. A girl behind him carrying another couple of black sacks and a little tricycle. Hopefully I'm thinking to myself that they have got somewhere permanent to live. The tears in the girls eyes suggests otherwise.

Still, the best small country in the world to do business.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 2:20pm

In that case I agree with you RB. At the same time you have to question the choices of someone whos only option is a job on minimum wage . Did they apply themselves in school, college ? School is open to everyone. It’s free to go ..
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I live in Cambridge RB.

Posh twat LOL
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 2:21pm

Did you hear anything about a financial crash that happened here about 10 years ago?
El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 2:21pm

This probably will seem churlish, but your opinion is exactly what I referred to. You have sympathy but a complete inability to understand anyone's situation but your own.
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 2:23pm

In that case I agree with you RB. At the same time you have to question the choices of someone whos only option is a job on minimum wage . Did they apply themselves in school, college ? School is open to everyone. It’s free to go ..
What a stupid post

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 05 Dec 2017 at 2:23pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Did you hear anything about a financial crash that happened here about 10 years ago?

I did . As someone self-employed with a mortgage and a wife in college at the time it nearly bankrupted me. I found other ways to make money to survive.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 2:25pm

I don't think someone who didn't apply himself/herself to the best of their ability in school should be punished with being homeless in later life. Bit harsh

Someone has to work in the minimum wage jobs. You can't expect them all to be on the verge of living on the streets within a few months.

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 05 Dec 2017 at 2:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 118119120121122 185>
  Share Topic