You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Soccer Republic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 39>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 5:25pm
If that's true its a joke.

11 teams going into a playoff for one EL spot?
It doesn't make any sense and it's clearly a reach to try and keep a 16 team league interesting.
Bigger leagues than ours are 10 team leagues, like Austria and Switzerland.
The options are 10 or 12 teams.
When I look at the current PD and see clubs struggling to get 300 of their own fans through the gate I'd lean towards a 10 team with high stadia requirements.

The pyramid system is a good idea but would require a major over haul of the intermediate game.
Currently there aren't any intermediate leagues just glorified Cork,Donegal and Dublin county leagues.
We'd probably need 4 intermediate sub leagues along the lines of West/Nortwest, East & midlands, Dublin area and south. Forget about provincial leagues they don't make any sense.

As for full time football the costings are all wrong. I remember reading that a full time 10 team league would cost around E10 million/year. They seem to be leaning towards a 16 team full time league!
A E2.25M prize pot isn't going to put a dent in that.

Then there's this:
"But to help cover the increased prize money, the suggestion is clubs hand out over five per cent of their European prize money from the first round, ten per cent from further rounds and a portion of transfer fees."

They want top clubs to go full time and increase costs and at the same time give away some of their income.

Edited by Bitored - 10 Aug 2016 at 5:32pm
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Sponsored Links

Doyler1993 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 11:47pm
Absolute bullsh*t that rte took a 15 minute break to soccer republic to show the paralympic swimming final, could they not show the swimming on rte news like they did for the olympics. Only get 1 hour of highlights at a sh*tty hour and than they decide to take 10 mins off it. No offence to the swimmer but she isnt even in with a realistic chance of getting a medal.

Edited by Doyler1993 - 12 Sep 2016 at 11:52pm
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 12:46am
Originally posted by Doyler1993 Doyler1993 wrote:

Absolute bullsh*t that rte took a 15 minute break to soccer republic to show the paralympic swimming final, could they not show the swimming on rte news like they did for the olympics. Only get 1 hour of highlights at a sh*tty hour and than they decide to take 10 mins off it. No offence to the swimmer but she isnt even in with a realistic chance of getting a medal.

They just don't give a sh*te.
Programmes a joke.
Part of the Derry/Youths match looked like it was recorded on a potato.
JD should have taken the 2 Mil!

The swimming wasn't even listed on the TV schedule so anyone that had any interest in it probably missed it because they had no idea it was on!
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Nah Nah Nah Nah View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Doyler1993 Doyler1993 wrote:

They extended the show to take the swimming into account. Still the same length
Doyler1993 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 9:47pm
Thr programme including the swimming only lasted an hour from 11.05 to 12.05, is that not the normal lenght of soccer republic every monday, or is it normally only 40 mins?
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 8:55am
I recorded the programme and it lasted an hour and a quarter on my sky box
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 12:00am
I thought Dave Barry made some good points on last night`s SR. He`s right about Galway, they`ve a good squad of players but aren`t turning up at away grounds and are letting Tommy Dunne down.

I also agree with him about Sligo Rovers, Robertson is building a good project there and with the right recruitment during the winter Sligo will be in a much stronger place next season. 

As someone who punts on LOI games, (between doubles, trebles and accumulators), the formbook can go out the window with Sligo. They seem to do really well against Cork for some reason, with 2 draws and a win this season. Yet Sligo go to Bray and get thrashed and a punter like me is left wondering wtf is going on here?!!  
"If you fail to prepare, you`re prepared to fail" - Mark Spitz
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 8:50am
Bray are the form team in the country and we have an awful record down there. You should do some more research before punting!
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 12:41am
Nah I don`t buy that. Cork have one of the strongest squads in the league and yet couldn`t beat Sligo in 3 league games this season. Yet Cork easily brushed Bray aside down at the Cross, while Bray tanked Sligo at the Carlisle. 

Don`t worry pal I do my research, but sometimes logic gets turned on it`s head. If Sligo can limit a title-chasing side like Cork to 2pts from a possible 9pts in a season, (and effectively deprive Cork of winning the league), then why can`t the Bit of Red blow away a lesser side like Bray? It doesn`t make sense.
"If you fail to prepare, you`re prepared to fail" - Mark Spitz
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 8:55am
We obviously play a game that Cork find very hard to play against. Other teams don't find it as hard obviously. If they did we'd be top of the league. We're far from it. That's the second 4-0 defeat we've taken in Bray this season. 

RKBarmyArmy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKBarmyArmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah wrote:

We obviously play a game that Cork find very hard to play against. Other teams don't find it as hard obviously. If they did we'd be top of the league. We're far from it. That's the second 4-0 defeat we've taken in Bray this season. 

For some reason, and this stretches back well before City were going well, I've always hated having to play Sligo Rovers, I dont know is it a mental thing or what, but we never have it easy and this seems to have been passed over to the squad. Of course having to travel to Donegal on a Tuesday and then head back up to the North West again on the Saturday is draining on the players, by all accounts McNulty kept us in the game and on the performance alone, it was a point gained rather than three lost. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Yea Yea Yea Yea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nah Nah Nah Nah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 12:48pm
Ah it could have gone either way really. Draw a fair result but either team could have knicked it. 

We had Wexford away on Friday and then Cork away on the following Monday earlier on this season. Some great fixtures put together.
RKBarmyArmy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKBarmyArmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah wrote:

Ah it could have gone either way really. Draw a fair result but either team could have knicked it. 

We had Wexford away on Friday and then Cork away on the following Monday earlier on this season. Some great fixtures put together.

The travel is crazy, our closest away trip is Wexford, 174km, but time wise its Shamrock Rovers cause its 2 hours up the motorway. Its almost impossible to maintain any sort of away following. Same applies to anyone outside Leinster. 
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 8:59pm
11:30 pm start time this year! Why do they even bother, would be better letting eir sports do it

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 10:22pm

Why bother is right. Its a f**king disgrace to have it on that late , especially with all the sh*te RTE have on

GUFC_Andy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUFC_Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 12:23am
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

11:30 pm start time this year! Why do they even bother, would be better letting eir sports do it
what a load of bull
Don't ban me for no reason, please.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 12:59am
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Fooking hell AngryAngryAngryAngry
Why even bother!
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 7:15am
Super time really,as I may get to see it just before I do to work Wacko
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 39>
  Share Topic