Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Soccer Republic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 39>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 2:02pm
Croly and Cawley apart from the odd time when Kerr makes an appearance are the best pundits on it...As an aside anyone hear Fahey's pronunciation of the teams in the FAI cup draw 
Sponsored Links

Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Xpro Xpro wrote:

I`d agree with a lot of that "Terzino" and I hope the SR production crew take your points on board. You`ve a huge amount of content or angles covered there and it could be quite challenging to fit it all in within the 50 minute slot, if you exclude ad breaks?

Actually I thought last night`s show was one of the best yet. Collins looked relaxed and moved the show along at the right pace. Croly and Cawley were cheerful and laid back and the overall vibe in the studio came across well. Plus, the analysis wasn`t half bad either.

I`ve no idea of the budget that SR is working with. I`d imagine it`s tiny compared to MOTD or Sky or BT. But even a regular Skype interview with former LOI players across the water like Forrester, Towell, Gaffney, Stevens, Doyle etc would be interesting. Also, some great archive footage of the past involving LOI clubs, showing stuffed-out grounds, (when Irish football fans supported their own league), might remind viewers of a vanished era.

Maybe this is the way it could be done to make everyone happy:

25 minutes of uninterrupted highlights.

then an ad break

When the programme returns you have a panel to discuss, for ten minutes, what we just witnessed.

then another ad break

Finish the programme with a ten minute profile of clubs/ players / upcoming important match - top of the table clash, derby, Ireland game, relegation battle, etc, etc.
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 12:29am
I suppose it takes time to find the right combination in the studio but the three C`s - Collins, Croly and Cawley - just seemed to click on the night. There was a relaxed air between them and I hope the producer doesn`t keep chopping and changing.

A lot of viewers like Kerr, others prefer Stuart Byrne or Richard Sadlier. But based on the evidence of the other night, I`d like to see Croly and Cawley return for another episode and I`d say Collins would be well happy with that combo as well. 
"If you fail to prepare, you`re prepared to fail" - Mark Spitz
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 10:03am
Better off just scrapping this, improve the highlights package from each match, put them to music from young Irish bands, a few quick post match quotes from the bosses and done. 25 minutes, shove it in that 7 o'clock spot on RTE2 as well as getting it on a weekend morning. Cheaper and better.
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 1:57am
I`d be well up for music from young Irish bands but is that not a radical departure from the tried and trusted format of a highlights package? Good analysis from football pundits is what interests me and others who tune into SR. I thought Croly and Cawley covered that area well, while managing a smile and not taking themselves too seriously.
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 10:49am
It's RTE all over. Even when they had the Premier League highlights, they would show 2 minutes highlights of the game and use the rest for "showcasing" their pundits. They are completely set in their ways of thinking that their pundits opinions are equally important to the actual football. Even though their pundits opinions are forgotten about 5 minutes later.

It's not even like they are even giving expert analysis. They only give their opinions on Player X, Manager X or Team X, opinions that would rarely differ to many people that regularly watch the games. If they want to give their expert opinions on defensive techniques or marking on set-pieces, that's great. I dont care if they think Team X might struggle this season or Manager X is doing a good job, who cares????

Just give us the goals, and if they are not going to analyse them then we will do it ourselves.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 11:28am
They can't even get loi fans to tune into it! I try and find teams own highlight packages on a Monday or Tuesday or else spend my team cutting through Peter Collins et al talking about nothing in particular. As LD said, the punditry is given importance and it isn't anything new, unless Kerr is on. There is nothing in that show that gets me excited, what is it going to do for your generic EPL fan? I think it is actually damaging for the league. The old TV3 show with Trevor Welch sounding like a racing car and Paul Osam looking like zombie was better.

Edited by pre Madonna - 30 Apr 2016 at 11:30am
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 11:31pm
The singing taxi man tonight! They need to kill this song for Ireland sh*te now.
Is the winner of it actually going to be the official song?
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 12:32am
Given the apathy of Irish football fans towards our homegrown league, and the infatuation of our media with leagues in other countries, I`m just grateful to our national broadcaster for giving us a highlights package every week.

I`ve just watched SR and can`t say I can fault it. The Song for Ireland slot is a bit naff and cringe inducing but apart from that, I thought the analysis from Cawley and Byrne was both interesting and accurate. Collins did what any anchor/presenter does, in asking the questions while being mindful of moving the show along. 

A highlights only package, without the studio panel discussion, may as well be a compendium of youtube clips with an audiodub of a soundtrack. But is that what LOI fans want? I for one prefer to hear the opinions of managers and ex-players like Cawley and Byrne   
deise View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 1:19am
Well said
bla bla bla
Terry Mancicni View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Mancicni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 1:33pm
You got to have analysis and debate. Completely agree on a highlights-only show resembling a youtube reel with classic scooter banging out in the background. when the chemistry between pundits is good. Their input, debates and comments add alot to the production. 
Polug View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 7:24pm
They need Roddy on it. Tongue
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 10:00pm
And Joanne Cantwell to present it. Lets make Irish football sexy again.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

Anyone but Collins, I can't take the unnecessary changes in octave, the need to sound like a motorbike, especially when in contrast with Trevor Croly, a man who sounds so excited you can only think he is having beans from a can for tea. To be fair to Croly, his punditry isn't the worst but he sounds half dead. 
The reason I suggested doing a half hour show of highlights and music was because what we have now is encouraging nobody to watch it. All it is is a bad copy of a mix of English football shows and done without any love or passion. I mean has Collins any interest in football at all? It certainly doesn't appear so!
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 12:56am
Nah, can`t agree with that "pre Madonna", you`re being overly harsh. The role of a presenter is to remain low-key and to stimulate discussion and debate among his guest panellists by asking the right questions. 

Collins may not be flamboyant and egocentric, (in other words, the show is not all about him), but he knows how to probe his guests and get interesting answers/analysis from the likes of Cawley, Byrne, Kerr, Croly or whoever. 

SR is dedicated to us fans of the LOI. I honestly couldn`t care less about fans of clubs outside this island and whether or not they enjoy the show. SR speaks to those of us who follow and attend games in our national league and without the punditry it may as well be footage from anywhere on earth. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 1:08am
Nobody can enjoy that, nobody! And I bloody know what egocentric means, thank you. Trevor Croly doesn't take himself seriously? How can you tell he is alive? The show is an unmitigated disaster from start to finish without any redeeming features whatsoever. I don't know of anyone who enjoys it who follows the league.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 1:59am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

Anyone but Collins, I can't take the unnecessary changes in octave, the need to sound like a motorbike, especially when in contrast with Trevor Croly, a man who sounds so excited you can only think he is having beans from a can for tea. To be fair to Croly, his punditry isn't the worst but he sounds half dead. 
The reason I suggested doing a half hour show of highlights and music was because what we have now is encouraging nobody to watch it. All it is is a bad copy of a mix of English football shows and done without any love or passion. I mean has Collins any interest in football at all? It certainly doesn't appear so!

He's a massive Man UTD fan. If you watch him when he gets to do the after match interviews at OT he's fit to burst.
He must have an interest in the league. He's been covering it for close to 30 years!
Here he is in the early 90s having the head melted off him by Cork Tom (around 30 seconds)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQF5z0kCtRc

There are plenty of passionate intelligent people that contribute to the show (Stuey Byrne, Croly, Kerr, Alan Cawley....)

I only found out lately that Stuey Byrne works in advertising. The league is crying out for promotion and there's a pundit who works in advertising and he hasn't been asked once to give his opinion on promotion.

It's really coming from the top down. RTE are merely going through the motions. The FAI have no problem with them doing it. And round and round it goes.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 2:46am
Agree with the last part in particular. I don't think you can accuse Croly of being passionate though, you have to be alive first!
Regarding Collins, there are plenty lads who have done jobs for a long time with little interest, I imagine Motorsport is really his thing and that is why he talks like an engine.

By the way, I am pretty sure the fella in that video isn't from Cork, anyone I have asked at City said he was from Dundalk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 39>
  Share Topic