Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Roy Keane Diary: 'A day in the life'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 40>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 3:05pm
Whelan and Andrews
Sponsored Links

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 3:36pm

Hummmmm attacking Robbie , slow it down TJ you are on thin ice Angry

Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Hummmmm attacking Robbie , slow it down TJ you are on thin ice Angry

Go f**k yourselfWinkLOL
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 8:58pm
I officially retired from professional football in 2006 after 5 months with Celtic.  My hip had been at me and it was becoming a struggle to get through the 90mins.  It took me longer to recover from games even with the latest sports science methods.  In the summer of that year Niall Quinn and his Drumaville consortium had taken over Sunderland AFC.  Ireland was awash with money during the so called Celtic Tiger years.  Every fool thought he was a property developer. I despised these muppets. Lost the f**king run of themselves. The sports cars, the Rolex watches, the houses. Forgot the f**king people who got you the Rolex watches, the cars, the houses. Arseholes. The Drumaville consortium was full of them.  I despised them straight away.  Niall Quinn was the new chairman. Quinn had played for Sunderland for a few years.  I wasn't too popular up that way after missing his testamonial there in 2002. Quinn was struggling to appoint anyone to manage the Mackems. This didn't surprise me. Piss up and brewery came to mind. Quinn had to take charge of the first team and was manager for the first 4 games. It was a joke.  They lost all 4 and were rock bottom of the Championship.  It was 'Carry on up the Stadium of Light'. Quinn was desperate to get out of the dugout and renewed his search for a proper manager. Michael phoned me in August to tell me that I was going to be contacted about the position. I had no time for Niall Quinn. We had been team mates for ireland under JAck and Mick McCarthy. He was a goody twoshoes. I had jokingly called him 'Mother Theresa' back in 2002 but the name stuck. He had sided with McCarthy during the Saipan fallout. To me he was a traitor. He knew the shambles on that went on on that island and he stuck by the  man who arranged it all.
 I wanted to get into management. f**k it. I was willing to forgive but not forget. That was enough.
Michael arranged a meeting with Quinn at a house in County Kildare. We shook hands after a brief yet cordial meeting. He offered me the job and I accepted it. A press conference was called a few days later and I was presented to the media. Football is a strange business. Chairman, managers and players are pragmatists at the end of the day. They'll work with the devil himself as ameans to an end. I was the devil in Mother Theresa's dugout from where he could look down on me from above. I was happy with the role. I am in the stand for the first game. Sunderland win 2-0. I am in charge at Leeds a few days later. We win 3-0. Things are looking up.
The playing squad is poor. Results pick up but we are languishing mid table. Some of the players are f**king clueless. I knock on Quinns office door.  I tell him we need a whole new squad. He promises me cash to spend. It's going to be hard to get top talent so I go for some Irish rejects.  David Connolly, Graham Kavanagh, Liam Miller along with Dwight Yorke, Stan Varga and Ross Wallace. In January I sign Anthony Stokes, Carlos Edwards and Martin Fulop the goalkeeper. The Man utd duo Danny Simpson and Jonny Evans arrive to bolster the defence.  We go onto win the league. we romp to a clinching 5-0 win away to Luton Town.  The players are popping champagne in the dressing room after the game saying they didn't care if they won another trophy.  ''Hello'' I thought.  Was that it we have won the Championship, now we pack it in? 
''Let the lads enjoy it Roy'' I thought but something bothered me.
No matter how many people tell me I deserve that championship medal, I know I don't.
I am already planning for next season. Sunderland had been a yo-yo club for years. Now Quinn was pulling the string I was determined we were going to stay up. But first we needed more signings.

Next: My Premier League years with Sunderland

PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 10:58pm
Keep them coming
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 11:57pm
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 5:35am
Clap TJ, take a bow son. You've found a calling. This will run and run.

And yes, I'm another reading these with an R.K. Cork accent.

FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 11:45am
 I was the devil in Mother Theresa's dugout from where he could look down on me from above.  LOL

Tremendous. Clap
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 1:41pm

http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article2481206.ece/ALTERNATES/s510b/LIVE-Alex-Ferguson-and-Roy-Keane-2481206.jpg
A strong squad is a vital tool in the fight to stay in the Premier League. I felt while we had done ok in the transfer market we needed to strengthen further. Greg Halford, Michael Chopra and Kieran Richardson arrived at the club. Later on in the summer I persuaded Paul McShane, Dickson Etuhu and the Scottish 'Peter Schmeichel' Craig Gordon to join the club.  Craig had been getting some stick for being a scottish goalkeeper. It had been a long running joke in the game that scottish keepers were liabilities. Craig would turn out to be my best signing. A snip for £9million.  Andy Cole, Kenwyne Jones, Roy O'Donovan, Danny Higginbotham and Ian Harte joined before the deadline.  Still, I felt we hadn't a big enough squad and needed more signings. I felt we might struggle with such a threadbare squad.  Quinn had promised me a treasure chest to sign the talent we needed. Now the board were pinching on the purse strings. We had only signed 12 players in the summer transfer window. Not enough to survive a long hard season. I could tell straight away the premier league would be an uphill struggle.  
 Still we started promisingly with a last minute home win against Spurs on the opening day of the season. A draw away to Birmigham wasn't the worst result before we went on a bad run. A 3-0 away defeat to lowly Wigan followed by defeats against Liverpool and Manchester United.  The tie against United at Old Trafford had been much anticipated given my past with Ferguson. Sky were televising the game live.  It was hyped up beyond belief. Sky were promoting it with their usual PR bullsh*t. ''Was this a game of football or is the pope coming to visit?'' I thought .  When we arrived at Old Trafford, I had no feelings of regret. I had no feeling  for the club. Football is a business. A cruel business. They were a business. Mancheter United was a ruthless company ran by a heartless dictator who wanted complete control of the club and everyone in it. He was as ruthless as Stalin.  I had as much feeling for Ferguson as I had for a a used tissue. It's 3.55pm.  The bell rings which is the signal for us to take our places in the tunnel for the 4pm kick off. I hadn't seen Ferguson yet but now its going to be unavoidable. I barely look at him as we shake hands prior to kick off.  I want to show this f**ker we are here to win. We lose 1-0.  I dont take defeat lightly. At full time I single out Chopra and Higginbotham.  ''You two fools call yourselves professionals???''  ''You'll never play for this club again.''.  I kick a teapot in their direction. The pot hits the walls about 1 ft obove their heads.  They dont make a move as tea drips down over their faces. Manchester United weren't going to get off lightly either. Before catching the team bus home I take a ridiculous sh*t all over the bathroom floor smearing into the walls. There's a picture of Fred the Red on the wall. He'd do. I smeared sh*t all over his smug corporate face. ''Take that ya ****!''
Ferguson wanted a glass of wine up in his office with me. ''What the fook is this?''
''Were we football managers or f**king lovers?'' I thought
Football had become way too poncy. I rememeber with Rockmount we would purposely walk home barefoot throught streets of broken glass after a defeat. Now people had a glass of wine. I was expecting Jeremy Beadle to jump out and tell me I was being set up. No this was for real and I was beckoned to fergusons office. This sh*t was not what I am used to. I feel about as comfortable as Andy Reid in a gym. I knock on the door. ''Come in'' the voice of Stalin orders. It's going to be an interesting few minutes...

Edited by Trap junior - 15 Feb 2014 at 6:40pm

Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 1:55pm
Fred the Red LOL
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
max View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

My new name is Wax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 2:02pm
Just came across this thread LOLClap
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I feel about as comfortable as Andy Reid in a gym.

Best line yet !!!
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 5:50pm
Another gem, " I rememeber with Rockmount we would purposely walk home barefoot throught streets of broken glass after a defeat". Clap

Keep it going TJ, superb.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
packiesglove View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 6:03pm
Great stuff TJ
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 6:10pm
I cant help but think of this while watching Roy on ITV right now
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 6:23pm
Same here. Watching and thinking of Roys thoughts on Dixon LOL
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 6:28pm
Roy meets Sir Alex for a friendly chat
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BGxA792CAAEaa7N.png
'The Stare'

I sat down in 'Stalin's' office.  The last time I was in there was 2 yrs earlier when he had let me go.
''Good game today Roy. You pushed us hard today'' he says as he pours me a glass of Bordeaux.
My eyes narrow as I give him the stare.
''That sort of stuff almost insults me .  Are we not supposed to try or something???  You might as well praise Mother Theresa for not murdering people''
''Roy there's no need to be like that. Relax and have a glass of wine.''
''I am relaxed'' I say while giving him a look that could kill.
'' I think you've done a good job so far I have to say.  I think you could have a bright future in management.''
Now he has crossed the line. It's an insult of the highest order.
''What the f**k do you mean bright future???!!. Do you think I'm some sort of a child? Don't speak to me as if Im a f**king idiot you prick.''
''Roy I wasn't insulting you. Will you calm down for christ's sake!''
''Don't tell me to calm down you f**king imposter. Take a look at yourself! You lost the hunger! f**king sold me out you ****. We should have won 10 champions leagues but you got complacent, slacked off, started w**king off that horse of yours Cock of Gibraltar. Lost the drive that got you where you are today. You call youself a professional??? When I was on the dole back in Cork I worked harder than you!  You should have been scouting the whole of Europe for top talent! You f**king handed over training to Carlos f**king Quiroz! He's the worst coach i've ever seen! You're a bottler Alex!  You sold my career down the f**king drain ye **** and cost me winning trophies. Go f**k yourself with your patronising sh*te!''
I throw the glass of wine over his head and storm out.
''You're a wee bastard and you wont get away with this! Nobody f**ks Alex Ferguson over and gets away with it!  I'm going to find you and sue you!'' he shouts down the hallway.
He didn't and didn't.

Edited by Trap junior - 15 Feb 2014 at 7:47pm

Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 7:38pm

Request: When Roy brought Adrian Chiles to Croke Park to see Cork in hurling (it could have been football)

Edited by Landon Donovan - 15 Feb 2014 at 8:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 40>
  Share Topic