You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Football Governance - Coventry City (and others)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Football Governance - Coventry City (and others)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Football Governance - Coventry City (and others)
    Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 4:02pm
Twas just watching Wasps-Leinster at the Ricoh Arena. It was fairly full and since Wasps have moved to Coventry last month they have been getting 25k+ attendances. Very impressive for a team parachuted into the city.

Coventry since their return to the Ricoh had a sell them out on their first game but have regularly posted 10-12k attendances.

Coventry looks like Rugby country now. The large Football clubs in the whole Greater Birmingham area look dead (Villa, Birmingham) . WBA not doing too badly, Wolves mostly miss than hit.

The Birmingham Bears (formerly Warickshire) T20 cricket team were quite popular last summer too. There seems to be a shift away from the uninspiring football clubs to newer teams on the up.

Edited by Landon Donovan - 24 Jan 2015 at 4:03pm
Sponsored Links

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 10:21pm
Tried to sign the petition but my fake address was busted
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 9:57pm
Not my place to be the negative person but I can't see this working at all purely Coventry City isn't the first club which this sort of thing has happened to - You just have to look at the situation between MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon.

And their situation is still an ongoing as AFC Wimbledon need a stadium to fit Football League rules but the council aint granting their old plot of land back (back when they were known as Wimbledon in the 90's etc) so I can't see why Coventry should get the teacher's pet treatment
Monners View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monners Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

Originally posted by Monners Monners wrote:

Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

Unlikely that there is anything illegal - more about fit and proper persons, and hence the need for strong governance in the game. The plight of my club is all about money and investers, and not the fans and their communities. The footballing authorities have allowed this to happen.

Other clubs are and will suffer in a similar fashion, look at Leeds new owner - a convicted fraudster, Wimbledon, Cardiff, Hull and the Glazers at Man Utd (dunoing debt aon the club to serve investors)

Football has indeed gone to sh*t.

What have the owners of Cardiff and Hull done wrong? (and dont say something petty like changing the jerseys or the Tigers thing LOL)

If Coventry fans want a club about the fans and community then they shoud start up a new club like Wimbledon and FC United did. Or is walking away from league football too much? If the fan agenda was really about creating a club for the fans and community, the fans would have walked away ages ago to set up a new club. But they didnt because they only really care about league football.

Coventry City FC belongs to the owners, not the fans. They can run the club as sh*tly as they like. Unless football fans do what the likes of AFC Wimbledon and FC United did then stop whinging. The only reason why they dont do it because the only really care about big-time football.

I think you may have either missed the point or are just attempting to be provacative. Almost all football clubs were formed by the local communty and still exist because of them. That is why Wimbledon reformed, and it may well yet come to this for my club - we are not there yet, hence the campaigning.

The club in legal terms belongs to the owners of course, but the club isn't the owners  - they come and go - it is the fans. Most Cov fans, and in fact fans of most clubs, have a direct association with the city and therefore the community, or links through historic family associations - in other words we pass it on to the next generation. My old man came over from Dublin at 17 and followed the club for the rest of his life - same for his kids, and hopefully for mine. We do not belong in Northampton we belong in Coventry.

Anyway looking forward to supporting the team (not the owners) tomorrow along with 4,000 others at Notts County. We haven't given up yet!

The vast majority of fans we have come into contact with have been supportive, as demostrated by the Arsenal fans applauding our peaceful protest at the cup game 2 weeks ago.

Guess we will beg to differ - no problem, this thread is not a winge, merely an ask of fellow fans of the game to show some support.

Take no notice fella that Landon lad is a nark, trying to create an issue where there is no issue. You are 100% correct the fans are the club and fair play to you's for hitting back. Hard to believe that someone who spends so much time on a football forum can't appreciate the traditional and family ties to a football club. I'm a leeds fan, passed down from my dad, my brother is leeds, my little one is leeds and so on.
No worries. Our situation is complex, but it really down to the fundemantal issues of fans being treated so badly by various owners (and like yourselves, we've had plenty of those), and the FA/FL doing nothing about it - depsite all the  noises they make about being for the fans etc..

There's a lot of focus on other fans forums, and one of the Leeds forums has been excellent. You have had to put with plenty over the last few years. Handshake
It was like watching Coventry City on a good day!
Monners View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monners Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Signed and have spread the word to several folk in England.
Thanks Coleman - really appreciated. I shall spread the word tomorrow before the game with this kind of response. Cheers

Edited by Monners - 07 Feb 2014 at 9:43pm
Stillhuntinghenry View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 7:37pm

Unlikely that there is anything illegal - more about fit and proper persons, and hence the need for strong governance in the game. The plight of my club is all about money and investers, and not the fans and their communities. The footballing authorities have allowed this to happen.

Other clubs are and will suffer in a similar fashion, look at Leeds new owner - a convicted fraudster, Wimbledon, Cardiff, Hull and the Glazers at Man Utd (dunoing debt aon the club to serve investors)

What have the owners of Cardiff and Hull done wrong? (and dont say something petty like changing the jerseys or the Tigers thing LOL)

If Coventry fans want a club about the fans and community then they shoud start up a new club like Wimbledon and FC United did. Or is walking away from league football too much? If the fan agenda was really about creating a club for the fans and community, the fans would have walked away ages ago to set up a new club. But they didnt because they only really care about league football.

Coventry City FC belongs to the owners, not the fans. They can run the club as sh*tly as they like. Unless football fans do what the likes of AFC Wimbledon and FC United did then stop whinging. The only reason why they dont do it because the only really care about big-time football.

I think you may have either missed the point or are just attempting to be provacative. Almost all football clubs were formed by the local communty and still exist because of them. That is why Wimbledon reformed, and it may well yet come to this for my club - we are not there yet, hence the campaigning.

The club in legal terms belongs to the owners of course, but the club isn't the owners  - they come and go - it is the fans. Most Cov fans, and in fact fans of most clubs, have a direct association with the city and therefore the community, or links through historic family associations - in other words we pass it on to the next generation. My old man came over from Dublin at 17 and followed the club for the rest of his life - same for his kids, and hopefully for mine. We do not belong in Northampton we belong in Coventry.

Anyway looking forward to supporting the team (not the owners) tomorrow along with 4,000 others at Notts County. We haven't given up yet!

The vast majority of fans we have come into contact with have been supportive, as demostrated by the Arsenal fans applauding our peaceful protest at the cup game 2 weeks ago.

Guess we will beg to differ - no problem, this thread is not a winge, merely an ask of fellow fans of the game to show some support.

Take no notice fella that Landon lad is a nark, trying to create an issue where there is no issue. You are 100% correct the fans are the club and fair play to you's for hitting back. Hard to believe that someone who spends so much time on a football forum can't appreciate the traditional and family ties to a football club. I'm a leeds fan, passed down from my dad, my brother is leeds, my little one is leeds and so on.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 7:29pm
Good man Monners

Stick about on YBiG
Monners View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monners Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 7:19pm

Edited by Monners - 07 Feb 2014 at 7:20pm
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 5:32pm

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 5:19pm
Signed and have spread the word to several folk in England.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Monners View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monners Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Hoosay Hoosay wrote:

Signed
Thanks Hoosay - spread the word Thumbs Up
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 4:01pm
Signed
Monners View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monners Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 2:19pm
Those resident in the UK can sign regardless of nationality. The idea is to spread the word on the issues, and for encourage those that cn to sign.
Flanno7hi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Shouldn't that petition be for British citizens only?
And for those of us non-brits that live in the UK. You might have seen it in the news a few lads have left Ireland for work lately.
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi
Flanno7hi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 2:11pm
Some of those petitions are a f**king joke. Can people not spell check something that they want to be taken seriously?
IG @flanno_7hi
Flanno7hi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 2:00pm
I support your petition.

A bill to give football clubs special status community assets would be the final aim i assume. It could prevent the displacement of clubs and situations like MK Franchise FC.

If it gets over 10000 votes the relevant dept will have to give a response.
IG @flanno_7hi
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 1:51pm
Shouldn't that petition be for British citizens only?
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Monners View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Monners Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 1:44pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic