Print Page | Close Window

Football Governance - Coventry City (and others)

Printed From: You Boys in Green
Category: International
Forum Name: Rest of The World
Forum Description: All football chat from around the globe
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=48132
Printed Date: 29 Apr 2024 at 3:10pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Football Governance - Coventry City (and others)
Posted By: Monners
Subject: Football Governance - Coventry City (and others)
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 1:17pm
Hello to all YBIGers

Coventry City fan here (and Ireland of course). . Support for the club began in my family in 1948 when the old man moved over from Dublin.

In order to bring to light the problem with football governance Cov fans, and those of many other clubs, are demanding an enquiry by the UK government.

A petition is underway to have the issue considered by a Parliamentary Select Committee, with an obligation to do so if it reaches 100,000 signatures.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/59884" rel="nofollow - http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/59884

In order for this petition to be effective us Cov fans rely on the football community coming together in this time of need. Your help is much appreciated, so please forward to family and friends in the UK, and of course please sign up yourself if UK based. This is not about club allegencies, but how the game is run (and not just in the UK) - it could happen to any club, at any time.

For those not aware of the background to the CCFC situation the extract below is as short hand as it gets.
Most people blame our owners, the Sisu hedge fund, and many people suspect their actions over the last two years are all about trying to get ownership of the Ricoh Arena on the cheap.

The Coventry City saga makes Lord of the Rings look short, but here goes –
• Until the mid 1990s we were well run and solvent
• 1996 a new chairman decided to ‘have a punt’ on success
• 2001 relegated from the Premiership with something like £60 million debt
• 2005 after more crises moved from our Highfield Road ground to the Ricoh Arena as tenants with the Arena owned by ACL (Arena Coventry Limited), a joint venture between Coventry City Council and a local Charity
• 2007 CCFC was taken over by Sisu, a hedge fund
• 2010 with the global financial crisis hitting Sisu hard, Sisu’s owner Joy Seppala took direct control
• 2012 Sisu declared the rent being paid to ACL was too high and stopped paying it
• 2012 Relegated to League 1
• 2013 Sisu declared they are going to build a new stadium in ‘the Coventry area’, but not in the City itself
• 2013 club went into Administration
• 2013 Sisu relocated the club to Northampton, approved by the Football League for a period of 3 to 5 years

• Today – CCFC has been described as a basket-case. Currently:

- The crisis continues to be played out in the courts and media, with the next phase being a Judicial Review Sisu has sought against the Council but that won’t happen for months
- Sisu continue to say they will build a new stadium but have not purchased land, engaged in discussions with planning authorities nor submitted a planning application
- Our owner is so secretive there is no publicly available photo of her so we don’t even know what she looks like
- The vast majority of City fans are boycotting games at Northampton and attendances there are hitting record lows with an average of around 2,000 including visiting fans, but there’s been a massive increase in numbers going to away games
- A generation of new football fans is being lost and the heart is being ripped out of our club
- There is no indication of when, if ever, we will return to Coventry

Please follow this link for more info.
http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/42063-The-Official-Petition-Thread" rel="nofollow - http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/42063-The-Official-Petition-Thread  

Many thanks, and feel free to pm me

All the best
Neil

-------------
It was like watching Coventry City on a good day!

Replies:
Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 1:29pm
What do you want the government to do and What is an inquiry going to achieve? 

Has anything happened that has been allegedly illegal? Or is it just a case of a football club gone to sh*t?

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 1:44pm

Unlikely that there is anything illegal - more about fit and proper persons, and hence the need for strong governance in the game. The plight of my club is all about money and investers, and not the fans and their communities. The footballing authorities have allowed this to happen.

Other clubs are and will suffer in a similar fashion, look at Leeds new owner - a convicted fraudster, Wimbledon, Cardiff, Hull and the Glazers at Man Utd (dunoing debt aon the club to serve investors)

Football has indeed gone to sh*t.

-------------

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 1:51pm
Shouldn't that petition be for British citizens only?

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: Flanno7hi
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 2:00pm
I support your petition.

A bill to give football clubs special status community assets would be the final aim i assume. It could prevent the displacement of clubs and situations like MK Franchise FC.

If it gets over 10000 votes the relevant dept will have to give a response.

-------------
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 2:11pm
Some of those petitions are a f**king joke. Can people not spell check something that they want to be taken seriously?

-------------
IG @flanno_7hi

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Shouldn't that petition be for British citizens only?
And for those of us non-brits that live in the UK. You might have seen it in the news a few lads have left Ireland for work lately.

-------------
IG @flanno_7hi

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 2:19pm
Those resident in the UK can sign regardless of nationality. The idea is to spread the word on the issues, and for encourage those that cn to sign.

-------------

Posted By: Hoosay
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 4:01pm
Signed

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Hoosay Hoosay wrote:

Signed
Thanks Hoosay - spread the word Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 5:19pm
Signed and have spread the word to several folk in England.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Monners Monners wrote:

Unlikely that there is anything illegal - more about fit and proper persons, and hence the need for strong governance in the game. The plight of my club is all about money and investers, and not the fans and their communities. The footballing authorities have allowed this to happen.

Other clubs are and will suffer in a similar fashion, look at Leeds new owner - a convicted fraudster, Wimbledon, Cardiff, Hull and the Glazers at Man Utd (dunoing debt aon the club to serve investors)

What have the owners of Cardiff and Hull done wrong? (and dont say something petty like changing the jerseys or the Tigers thing LOL)

If Coventry fans want a club about the fans and community then they shoud start up a new club like Wimbledon and FC United did. Or is walking away from league football too much? If the fan agenda was really about creating a club for the fans and community, the fans would have walked away ages ago to set up a new club. But they didnt because they only really care about league football.

Coventry City FC belongs to the owners, not the fans. They can run the club as sh*tly as they like. Unless football fans do what the likes of AFC Wimbledon and FC United did then stop whinging. The only reason why they dont do it because the only really care about big-time football.

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

What have the owners of Cardiff and Hull done wrong? (and dont say something petty like changing the jerseys or the Tigers thing LOL)

If Coventry fans want a club about the fans and community then they shoud start up a new club like Wimbledon and FC United did. Or is walking away from league football too much? If the fan agenda was really about creating a club for the fans and community, the fans would have walked away ages ago to set up a new club. But they didnt because they only really care about league football.

Coventry City FC belongs to the owners, not the fans. They can run the club as sh*tly as they like. Unless football fans do what the likes of AFC Wimbledon and FC United did then stop whinging. The only reason why they dont do it because the only really care about big-time football.

I think you may have either missed the point or are just attempting to be provacative. A file://%5C%5Clsmost" rel="nofollow - lmost all football clubs were formed by the local communty and still exist because of them. That is why Wimbledon reformed, and it may well yet come to this for my club - we are not there yet, hence the campaigning.

The club in legal terms belongs to the owners of course, but the club isn't the owners  - they come and go - it is the fans. Most Cov fans, and in fact fans of most clubs, have a direct association with the city and therefore the community, or links through historic family associations - in other words we pass it on to the next generation. My old man came over from Dublin at 17 and followed the club for the rest of his life - same for his kids, and hopefully for mine. We do not belong in Northampton we belong in Coventry.

Anyway looking forward to supporting the team (not the owners) tomorrow along with 4,000 others at Notts County. We haven't given up yet!

The vast majority of fans we have come into contact with have been supportive, as demostrated by the Arsenal fans applauding our peaceful protest at the cup game 2 weeks ago.

Guess we will beg to differ - no problem, this thread is not a winge, merely an ask of fellow fans of the game to show some support.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 7:29pm
Good man Monners

Stick about on YBiG

Posted By: Stillhuntinghenry
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 7:37pm

I think you may have either missed the point or are just attempting to be provacative. A file://%5C%5Clsmost" rel="nofollow - lmost all football clubs were formed by the local communty and still exist because of them. That is why Wimbledon reformed, and it may well yet come to this for my club - we are not there yet, hence the campaigning.

The club in legal terms belongs to the owners of course, but the club isn't the owners  - they come and go - it is the fans. Most Cov fans, and in fact fans of most clubs, have a direct association with the city and therefore the community, or links through historic family associations - in other words we pass it on to the next generation. My old man came over from Dublin at 17 and followed the club for the rest of his life - same for his kids, and hopefully for mine. We do not belong in Northampton we belong in Coventry.

Anyway looking forward to supporting the team (not the owners) tomorrow along with 4,000 others at Notts County. We haven't given up yet!

The vast majority of fans we have come into contact with have been supportive, as demostrated by the Arsenal fans applauding our peaceful protest at the cup game 2 weeks ago.

Guess we will beg to differ - no problem, this thread is not a winge, merely an ask of fellow fans of the game to show some support.

Take no notice fella that Landon lad is a nark, trying to create an issue where there is no issue. You are 100% correct the fans are the club and fair play to you's for hitting back. Hard to believe that someone who spends so much time on a football forum can't appreciate the traditional and family ties to a football club. I'm a leeds fan, passed down from my dad, my brother is leeds, my little one is leeds and so on.

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Signed and have spread the word to several folk in England.
Thanks Coleman - really appreciated. I shall spread the word tomorrow before the game with this kind of response. Cheers

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

Take no notice fella that Landon lad is a nark, trying to create an issue where there is no issue. You are 100% correct the fans are the club and fair play to you's for hitting back. Hard to believe that someone who spends so much time on a football forum can't appreciate the traditional and family ties to a football club. I'm a leeds fan, passed down from my dad, my brother is leeds, my little one is leeds and so on.
No worries. Our situation is complex, but it really down to the fundemantal issues of fans being treated so badly by various owners (and like yourselves, we've had plenty of those), and the FA/FL doing nothing about it - depsite all the  noises they make about being for the fans etc..

There's a lot of focus on other fans forums, and one of the Leeds forums has been excellent. You have had to put with plenty over the last few years. Handshake

-------------

Posted By: coyne
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 9:57pm
Not my place to be the negative person but I can't see this working at all purely Coventry City isn't the first club which this sort of thing has happened to - You just have to look at the situation between MK Dons and AFC Wimbledon.

And their situation is still an ongoing as AFC Wimbledon need a stadium to fit Football League rules but the council aint granting their old plot of land back (back when they were known as Wimbledon in the 90's etc) so I can't see why Coventry should get the teacher's pet treatment

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 10:21pm
Tried to sign the petition but my fake address was busted

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 4:02pm
Twas just watching Wasps-Leinster at the Ricoh Arena. It was fairly full and since Wasps have moved to Coventry last month they have been getting 25k+ attendances. Very impressive for a team parachuted into the city.

Coventry since their return to the Ricoh had a sell them out on their first game but have regularly posted 10-12k attendances.

Coventry looks like Rugby country now. The large Football clubs in the whole Greater Birmingham area look dead (Villa, Birmingham) . WBA not doing too badly, Wolves mostly miss than hit.

The Birmingham Bears (formerly Warickshire) T20 cricket team were quite popular last summer too. There seems to be a shift away from the uninspiring football clubs to newer teams on the up.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net