You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Neck nomination

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 2:54pm
Rules in situations like this are generally pointless anyway Ger, sure we cant as a people obey rules as it is. They are there to be broken, thats the mindset. People lie like fook on everything from mortgage apps to buying car/home insurance for example, all of which is important stuff. It's always grand until something goes wrong, then chickens begin the oul roosting process, so to suggest that rules in an online, social media powered drinking game would make one iota of difference is naive to say the least.

I don't think anybody can dispute that the more people doing something like necknomination then the more likely there is to be undesireable outcomes, it's a numbers games really. Your last line about the idea of the game is right, but what led to people doing stupid things is stupidity, nothing else.

I wasnt nominated either before or after the deaths occurred. If I had of been, I'd have probably downed my beer and re nomintated. If I had of been nominated to down stupid stuff and do something stupid/dangerous, what little common sense I have would kick in and I'd refuse. That's not being stupid enough. Would it be the games fault if I refused to do something stupid or would it be well done me for not doing it? I'm going to plump for the well done me one as I'm sure you would agree. In that case if the game cannot be blamed for me being sensible, how can it be blamed i f I chose the stupid option?? 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 2:58pm
There is always going to be peer pressure growing up and there is always going to be pressures to do things from mates etc.  Its one of lifes learning skills that you have the cop on to no do things that have a high risk factor and to be able also to spot the high risk factor.  

Some people getaway with doing the stupid things and live to tell the tail and learn later or others are not so fortunate and end up dying by doing stupid things.  

These things have been in many forms over the years. The only difference now is that the games spread quicker due to social media.  But when I was in school there was a stupid game where people held their breath and were then slapped on their chest causing them to faint.  I think there was deaths at the time in parts of the country due to this craze.  These things spread throughout Ireland years ago but were just slower moving.  

Edited by Baldrick - 11 Feb 2014 at 3:08pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 3:05pm
remember that 'game' alright, done it a few times. Think it was 10 deep rapid breaths stand against something solid and one of yer mates presses against your chest and you pass out. Fcukers thoigh I was messing doing it and let me drop to the floor, woke up with a killer sore head from itLOL stupid looking back alright, but again lucky enough to survive. no internet those days or fb either, only one thing for it, ban school and breathing. Breathing is the real culprit here
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 3:08pm

If you're trying to blame necknomination for the deaths then you might as well accuse the internet of killing them, or try to ban peer presure. Yes pleople died as a result of doing something thick after being dared to down to a pint but unfortunately the term death from misadventure is too common these days and will happen with or without internet games.

Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by sham157 sham157 wrote:

Rules in situations like this are generally pointless anyway Ger, sure we cant as a people obey rules as it is. They are there to be broken, thats the mindset. People lie like fook on everything from mortgage apps to buying car/home insurance for example, all of which is important stuff. It's always grand until something goes wrong, then chickens begin the oul roosting process, so to suggest that rules in an online, social media powered drinking game would make one iota of difference is naive to say the least.

I don't think anybody can dispute that the more people doing something like necknomination then the more likely there is to be undesireable outcomes, it's a numbers games really. Your last line about the idea of the game is right, but what led to people doing stupid things is stupidity, nothing else.

I wasnt nominated either before or after the deaths occurred. If I had of been, I'd have probably downed my beer and re nomintated. If I had of been nominated to down stupid stuff and do something stupid/dangerous, what little common sense I have would kick in and I'd refuse. That's not being stupid enough. Would it be the games fault if I refused to do something stupid or would it be well done me for not doing it? I'm going to plump for the well done me one as I'm sure you would agree. In that case if the game cannot be blamed for me being sensible, how can it be blamed i f I chose the stupid option?? 

You are a bit older and mature (cough cough) than the yoof of today.
Peer pressure via social media can be a big problem. Thats what this game thrived on.
I woukd ask the question. Would an 18 year old attempt to down a bottle of vodka in one go in normal circumstances? Or coukd they, under the watchful eyes of their peers on Facebook, gain the courage and do it. To outdo others as the lad in England is reported to have said.

Ps. .I never said the game is to blame. I said its is a combination of things.
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 3:14pm
the game itself is fairly cringe tbh, people necking a can in their kitchen of a Tuesday and making a video of it. 
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

the game itself is fairly cringe tbh, people necking a can in their kitchen of a Tuesday and making a video of it. 

Couldnt agree more.

That's why I left mine for a Saturday.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 3:30pm

the_walls Clap
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 3:31pm

I agree on a Tuesday, WTF is the world coming to, on a Tuesday FFS :-D
I know nothing :-)
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2014 at 3:40pm
Not buying the peer pressure angle on this....its down to the fact that nominee plays the game because it involves drink, bravado and doing something for which the drink can be blamed. In our dysfunctional little country any behaviour as a consequence of drink is permissable, tolerated, forgiven and becomes an amusing episode.

" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Flanno7hi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 9:39am
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/neknominate-watch-steph-lou-jones-baywatch-6698970
EnjoyThumbs Up

Can't post up the youtube link in work but it's there somewhere.

Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 4:45pm
flow View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

Jaysus Ouch

Didnt read it but seems like an april fools?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
  Share Topic