You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dan Crowley

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 62>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 11:59am
That's true, if anything people were calling for Hoolahan to never be played.
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Sponsored Links

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Did you intentionally miss the other half of those players that are playing in the premier league?

You missed more then you actually named.

And neglected the fact all of them have played international level too. 
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Mikeire Mikeire wrote:

There are a lot of Irish fans that are risk adverse, they see players like hoolahan, Crowley and Byrne as players that can lose you a game rather than win you a game.

They will defend the Glenn Whelans of the world because he’ll never try something that’s not 100% tried and tested like passing back to the goalkeeper so that he can launch it up field.

If Ireland ever went 2 forwards up front in a game they’d sh17 their pants.

They will never see the amazing things Wes did against Sweden (technically brilliant goal) or the chances he created against Italy (awesome assist) 
You will just hear the usual - “get him off before he loses the ball and costs us the game”

None of which were his first international match so aren't comparable. 

I gave my reasons for not wanting to risk him in a big game and said I understood why others would.
Bainneban View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bainneban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Do you reckon I want him to start Vidic?

Can you list the elite level quality we have in that position that could potentially unlock a defence that are playing against superior standard week in week out.

Let's have a look at our elite squad playing at a super high level.

Randolph - championship - same as Crowley 

Coleman - prem 
Duffy - prem 
Keogh - championship - same as Crowley 
Stevens - prem 

Attacking players (capable of unlocking the defence like Crowley would be asked to do)

Conor H - prem  
Jeff H - prem 
Callum R - prem 
James Mc - championship - same as Crowley 

Scotty H - championship - same as Crowley 
David Mc G - prem 

Point made?

7/11 are higher standard.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 6:29pm
Hoolahan’s biggest problem was never knowing when the killer pass wasn’t on, it was his biggest fault. He was incredibly talented but played every game like a kickabout, is Crowley similar?
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Hoolahan’s biggest problem was never knowing when the killer pass wasn’t on, it was his biggest fault. He was incredibly talented but played every game like a kickabout, is Crowley similar?

What do you mean? 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

What do you mean? 
He always tried to play a killer ball, even when there was no need or opportunity. I watched him recently for Cambridge, before he f**ked the club over, and he did it again and it cost a goal.

I am well aware that every player misplaces passes, it is risk and reward though and I always felt he struggled with that.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 7:21pm

Jayses - xavi misplaced killer passes for crying out loud.

Can you give any examples of games when he misplaced too many passes to solidify your position?

Poland at home.

Passes straight to their defender from deep, then goes up and kicks the defender, gets booked and minutes later Poland score.

That's 1 example that sticks out in my mind.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 7:29pm
The whole game away to Austria, apart from that one pass. I think that game sums him up. He was brutal but still creates the goal. Incredibly talented but equally squanderous and frustrating.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 7:32pm
So people who take risks can fall flat on their face? Is this what you're getting at?

But more often than not Wes didn't fall flat on his face and his risk was rewarded. A team needs risk takers. Seems more like nit picking to me.

Hey, look at these 10 successes I have here.

Yeah, but what about that one failure there?

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 7:38pm

What do you mean? 
He always tried to play a killer ball, even when there was no need or opportunity. I watched him recently for Cambridge, before he f**ked the club over, and he did it again and it cost a goal.

I am well aware that every player misplaces passes, it is risk and reward though and I always felt he struggled with that.

F*cked the club over LOL Would you get over yourself you sad moper. You hate the idea of our national team being decent so much that you feel compelled to denigrate our best players. You really have become a running joke, shoehorning poisonous negativity, bitterness, and sarcasm into every post.
We're decent enough..
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

What do you mean? 

F*cked the club over LOL Would you get over yourself you sad moper. You hate the idea of our national team being decent so much that you feel compelled to denigrate our best players. You really have become a running joke, shoehorning poisonous negativity, bitterness, and sarcasm into every post.

ClapClapClap Glad someone finally said what most are already thinking.

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 12:03am
I see we have another welcome addition to the ever growing army of fantasists on here. 

Crowley, or Byrne, Connell, Cullen, or anyone else with more or less zero international experience will not start against the Swiss in midfield, one of them would probably be doing well to even make the bench. A more realistic discussion would be whether McCarthy will play instead of Whelan, but because we all know the unglamorous job those lads do, its just not really interesting enough for a discussion for the fantasy football managers. 

One or maybe even 2 of the above might play V Bulgaria alright, that's kind of the way football works, young lads play well for their club, get noticed at international level, get picked in squad, get a run as a sub in friendly, start friendly, get a run in a qualifier, become member of first team. Anyone thinking Mick McCarthy is the man to change this formula hasn't watched much of his career. 

There's no doubt Stephen Kenny won't be as risk-averse, but it is doubtful he would have any of those lads starting either- where he might differ from Mick is by having them on the bench & not be afraid to bring them on if he trusted them & deemed them good enough. I'm all for having those lads in the squad ahead of a fella like Meyler, but they have a bit to go yet before they are first team material.

Not a single one of those players is even established at championship level, Byrne didn't cut it at that level, Crowley has only just gone there (though looks to have a very good chance of playing regularly), Connell has played 10 games for an already relegated Bolton and for Cullen, it is a step up from league 1. 

In isolation, picking one of these lads won't change an awful lot either, we are still picking too many lads who give away the ball regularly, whether that is Duffy hoofing it diagonally or McClean thinking he is a footballer who can beat men through his skill, and as a result, we are primarily a defensive team. To compensate for that, the manager will pick midfielders that can run a lot and put in tackles (like Hendrick) over creators.

Basically, the entire style of play will have to change before one or all those lads become regulars, and that's extremely unlikely under McCarthy. Kenny will change it, I'd have little doubt about that, but until his tenure starts, this stuff about Crowley being the man to unlock the Swiss defence on the back of a few decent passes V Brentford is delusional. Think people are also forgetting just how few games there are to go in this campaign, with only 2 friendlies scheduled in that same time. 

What will likely happen is a few of those lads, and some of the exciting forwards we have, will get a chance in the friendlies, and maybe move up to the bench for one of the later qualifiers, not the Swiss game on September though.  A bit like what I said in the opening paragraph. Meanwhile, lads on here will continue to pick fantasy teams and provide hourly updates on Ryan Johansonn's eligibility. Whatever floats yer boat I suppose. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 12:14am
Clap

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 1:30am

Nice rant but I don’t think anybody has said what you seem to be accusing people of. 

Who said any of these players should start against the Swiss?

Maybe you should climb down from your very high position.

Rant; Bombastic extravagant speech or use of language, or to speak or shout (maybe even write) in an angry, impassioned way. 

I don't think a single sentence in that post would qualify for those criteria. 

Who said any of these players should start against the Swiss ? 

Balls out of the bath on this one and play Crowley and Byrne at the same time. 

Think that would be yerself, though it could have been a joke, or seeing as you didn't specify the opposition, you might have been referring to the next Ireland training session. Not going to quote Kearney's entire conversation with Vidic, but he seems to believe that Crowley would be worth a place on the bench. I wouldn't actually disagree with that at all, as said above, I think it's unlikely. Pointing out that something someone has posted is unlikely to happen (in my opinion) is not a rant either. 

Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

1. This is a game in which could well be hanging in the balance. More than likely be 0-0 and we need a creative spark. We have to try beat the Danes or Swiss at home. Why not go for it in this one? I don't agree with leaving it until the last home game v the big team to go for it. He could unlock their defence.

Mind telling me what other 'proven' lads like Obafemi, Meyler, Long etc had done before they played / started for Ireland. 

Obafemi - Came on as a sub for the ending minutes of an EL game where we had already finished bottom of the group, there was nothing at stake, and a few strikers were already missing from the squad. 

Meyler- Senior debut V Oman in Craven Cottage 2012. A game we won 4-1. 

Long (S)- Made debut away to San Marino in 2007, which was a competitive game (too fcukin competitive) but Doyle and Elliot, who were both 'ahead' of him in the squad at that point, had pulled out injured. 

Long (K)- Made debut in friendly V Mexico in USA. 

Just answering that to further back up my point, which is that we have had very very few players in our recent history that made their senior debuts by starting in full competitive games, regardless of who the manager was at the time. I haven't actually seen Crowley play, but all the same, I would suspect he isn't going to be the man to break those trends under the current manager. 

I don't have anything to climb down from, those are merely opinions that you don't appear to agree with, which is fine. I very much doubt you would stick much money on Crowley appearing V the Swiss all the same. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 1:54am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

What do you mean? 

Big smile
Our best players! I don’t really think Wes would ever describe himself as that! An average player! 
And yes, he unquestionably screwed Cambridge over!  What a ****ish move!
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 10:25am
I read someone a few days ago on here saying he couldn’t see Mick playing Crowley and Byrne in the same team LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I read someone a few days ago on here saying he couldn’t see Mick playing Crowley and Byrne in the same team LOL
That was a classic alright.LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 62>
  Share Topic