You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Crime Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 179180181182183 331>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 11:45am
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 12:05pm

If you marginalise people from society, giving them less opportunity then eventually disorder will ensue. In Ireland, we have seen the effects of poverty in relation to crime and violence in our own disadvantaged areas for decades. It is also a well worn path abroad. Ethnic groups will provide a handy scapegoat here as they have elsewhere. The narrative will further the careers and fortunes of plenty of eejits playing to the gallery as if "old Ireland" was some sort of utopia before the arrival of the dreaded foreigners. 
El Puto Amo
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

If you marginalise people from society, giving them less opportunity then eventually disorder will ensue. In Ireland, we have seen the effects of poverty in relation to crime and violence in our own disadvantaged areas for decades. It is also a well worn path abroad. Ethnic groups will provide a handy scapegoat here as they have elsewhere. The narrative will further the careers and fortunes of plenty of eejits playing to the gallery as if "old Ireland" was some sort of utopia before the arrival of the dreaded foreigners. 

100% spot on.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 2:17pm

What do ya think Ireland as a society has done to marginalise people? We've free education all the way to college at this stage, regardless of where they come from, I know some people are born into luckier situations, but what do ya think we could do as a society to reduce the "marginalisation"?
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 3:17pm
When we're referring to the incidents in Balbriggan these are first generation born here (most I would assume) so it's not like there's history of oppression or marginalisation. Can't be ticking that box just because the lads who have been running amok and burning houses aren't white. 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

When we're referring to the incidents in Balbriggan these are first generation born here (most I would assume) so it's not like there's history of oppression or marginalisation. Can't be ticking that box just because the lads who have been running amok and burning houses aren't white. 

Who was burning houses?
El Puto Amo
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

What do ya think Ireland as a society has done to marginalise people? We've free education all the way to college at this stage, regardless of where they come from, I know some people are born into luckier situations, but what do ya think we could do as a society to reduce the "marginalisation"?

My point was that you don't have to look far to find instances of violence and anti-social behavior in Ireland but why is ethnicity only worthy of comment when the act is committed by someone non white? 
Ireland doesn’t appear to be the worst country in the world for racism presently but then again we don’t have a history of inwards migration so give it time and I'm sure we'll be as bad as the Brits/ French/ yanks etc. 
To answer your question about marginalisation, look at how we treat poor people generally in this country irrespective of color. I'm sure a rich black person coming to Ireland has a different experience to a poor one.

El Puto Amo
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 10:10pm
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 10:22pm
White privilege isn't real, says a privileged, white pseudo-academic

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 10:35pm

[ look at how we treat poor people generally in this country irrespective of color. 

But Ireland is actually reasonably progressive when it comes to social programs with equality of opportunity as the basis, and parties have generally been expected to come with a manifesto which is deferential to key social needs. And that doesn't mention the various forms of universal and non-universal financial support which is on offer, and social-centric legislation which has been of assistance. I think programs may have not been suitably implemented, or were not fit for purpose, but that wasn't by will or design, nor does it mean they weren't underpinned by good intentions, with social justice in mind.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 10:49pm
 I could be wrong I could be right
could be wrong

I could be black I could be white
I could be right I could be wrong
I could be white I could be black
Your time has come your second skin
The cost so high the gain so low
Walk through the valley
The written word is a lie

May the road rise with you

Anger is an Energy 
Anger is an Energy 
AKA pedantic kunt
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

could be wrong

Walk through the valley

Anger is an Energy 
Anger is an Energy 

Have you been red PiLed?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 8:49am

could be wrong

Walk through the valley

Anger is an Energy 
Anger is an Energy 
Lydon is a ****, but PiL were amazing and so much more genuine than McLaren's boyband.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

[ look at how we treat poor people generally in this country irrespective of color. 

But Ireland is actually reasonably progressive when it comes to social programs with equality of opportunity as the basis, and parties have generally been expected to come with a manifesto which is deferential to key social needs. And that doesn't mention the various forms of universal and non-universal financial support which is on offer, and social-centric legislation which has been of assistance. I think programs may have not been suitably implemented, or were not fit for purpose, but that wasn't by will or design, nor does it mean they weren't underpinned by good intentions, with social justice in mind.
Sure, but casual racism and racist attacks are quite high in Ireland considering the small population involved. We may not have real systemic racism, unless you are unlucky enough to be part of the Travelling Community, like here in Britain or other former colonial states(formally at least), but we have a media and mentality that plays up to that which is highlighted by this thread.
This isn't one of my wind-up about Dublin, genuinely, but there seems to be a racism issue there. Every Wednesday the Irish Times has a feature called 'New to the Parish' where people who have moved here from abroad describe their Irish experience. Many who lived elsewhere first seem to have had their first experience of racism in Ireland when they go to Dublin. Most of those interviewed are relatively 'successful', to use a term I dislike for want of a better one; so I can only imagine what it is like to be both economically and socially marginalised. When you're a teenager and that happens you often get anger. The fact that when this anger explodes like it did in Balbriggan that they are treated differently again and everyone wanting to discuss their ethnicity rather than the reasons for the anger, the flames are just being fanned.
As has been said, young kids from marginalised areas and difficult backgrounds act up. Their ethnicity or skin colour doesn't need to be brought up other than to try and understand how racism might be an issue and not 'race' or because 'Africans like that' or any other tropes I have seen thrown about on social media. Given our history of similar vilification it makes it doubly disappointing.
Ireland may be more progressive, and I think that's open to a different debate, but it clearly isn't doing enough; otherwise this wouldn't happen. We also really have to stop pretending that we can't really be racist because we didn't colonise anywhere, or that it is just our sense of humour or our culture, to paraphrase Brendan Gleeson in 'The Guard'. We need to accept our racism and face it.
We all have some prejudices, it would be impossible to grow up in a racist society without them. They need to be faced and discussed if 'maturing as a nation's is to actually mean something other than obsessing about foreign royalty. 

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 9:58am

Fingal Communities Against Racism are concerned that a house fire in Balbriggan last Sunday has been used to push a racist agenda on social media. The cause of the fire has been investigated, but has still to be confirmed officially.
Initial inspections identified it as an electrical fire, amplified when an oil tank in the back garden also caught fire. However, this has been portrayed on social media as a deliberate arson attack as a result of racially motivated gang violence.
As a result of the fire, a local family lost their home and are in distress. However, this has not stopped inaccurate speculation on social media.
Among these comments, we have seen posts by obviously fake accounts, by people who have never set foot in Balbriggan and by people connected with far-right parties. A website owned by the Youth Defence group which purports to be a news site but in reality amplifies
far-right talking points and propaganda, attempted to link the fire to "gangs" and claimed there was a "media blackout". The reality, of course, is that house fires where nobody has been injured or killed and arson is not suspected, don't tend to make the national news.
The interest shown by individuals and groups linked with the far-right in a house fire in Balbriggan, a town which most of them have never visited, is a sign that something else is going on.
The far-right use every opportunity to exploit people's fears, including fear of crime and anti-social behaviour, to stir up hatred and division and turn neighbours against each other.
Their manipulation of social media to push their own agenda is sophisticated, including using multiple fake accounts and out of context video clips onto which they can project the narrative they want.
These tactics are part of a pattern and have been used by the far-right in Ireland and internationally. We ask that people keep this in mind when browsing social media and speak up against attempts to divide our communities.
Balbriggan is a diverse town made up of people from all over Ireland and other parts of the world who have made a home and are raising families here.
The far-right has its own agenda in pushing an image of Balbriggan to the rest of the country that is relentlessly sinister and negative. Those propagating this agenda do not care about the town or any of its residents or how Balbriggan is perceived.
We urge the community to speak out and refuse to let this far-right agenda erase the work of many good people in Balbriggan living and working side by side, trying to improve our environment and creating strong communities. Do not let a racist agenda define our town.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 9:59am
My point PM isn't really about racism. Ireland has a difficult past when it comes to social marginalisation, and we can be prone to forgetting the sins of the past when it comes to our treatment of people who needed it most. Hence, I think Ireland should dismiss its own views about a lack prevalence of racism, simply because we have an incredibly difficult history with difference and diversity. To that extent, I very much take you point about the way Ireland views itself.

But my point was generally about the way Ireland treats its poor, as opposed to marginalisation which is increased by, and a product of intersectionality.
TRV View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 10:16am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

could be wrong

Walk through the valley

Anger is an Energy 
Anger is an Energy 
Lydon is a ****, but PiL were amazing and so much more genuine than McLaren's boyband.
An endearing and likeable one though 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2020 at 10:36am
Originally posted by TRV TRV wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

could be wrong

Walk through the valley

Anger is an Energy 
Anger is an Energy 
An endearing and likeable one though 
I would say quite the opposite. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 179180181182183 331>
  Share Topic