You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Crime Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 173174175176177 329>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Racism is rife in Ireland, unfortunately. Over the past week I have come across many stories of how black people have been racially abused in Ireland. As I have said on here before, Irish people seem to have this belief that we cannot be properly racist because we were victims ourselves and weren't colonisers. The reason I went to a protest was that I feel it was important that communities show that people are anti-racist. It isn't enough to not be racist, people have to be anti-racist. I assume that is what most people who went were doing. Or maybe they are all superheroes.

Yeah all Superheroes like you! The expert on all things racist now along with everything else.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 07 Jun 2020 at 9:59pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 10:02pm
Ffs here we go again . LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 10:02pm
I don't think there is a blueprint or anything like it. I guess the most obvious thing is to not be quiet when people are being racist, casually or otherwise. 
I think we are all racist to some extent because we are conditioned to it from a young age and we all need to unlearn it and also to try and understand what it is like for black people and other minorities too. I also think if you think one group of people are less deserving of anything, then it isn't a grand leap to thinking the same of other groups. In Ireland  I am specifically thinking of the travelling community, who many of us have had no problem discriminating against.

Other than that, there are some books on the subject that I found enlightening. Akala, the incredibly articulate London rapper, wrote a superb book on the matter. Anything Afua Hirsch writes on the subject is similar, her book 'Brit(ish)' is based from being constantly asked where she was really from when answering Wimbledon.  Reni Eddo-Lodge 'Why I'm Talking to White People about Race' isn't a comfortable read, she certainly doesn't pull any punches, but it is really eye-opening. I have also started listening to her podcast which is also brilliant. I'm sure there are loads of other books and podcasts out there too. I think white people have a duty to at least try and educate ourselves.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Ffs here we go again . LOL
LOL He really loves an edit, almost as much as an apostrophe. 
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 10:27pm
Trig LOL
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 10:37pm
As Homer said to Ned  

WILL YOU TWO SHUT UP!

Edited by Jackal - 07 Jun 2020 at 10:39pm
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 11:05pm

I don't think there is a blueprint or anything like it. I guess the most obvious thing is to not be quiet when people are being racist, casually or otherwise. 
I think we are all racist to some extent because we are conditioned to it from a young age and we all need to unlearn it and also to try and understand what it is like for black people and other minorities too. I also think if you think one group of people are less deserving of anything, then it isn't a grand leap to thinking the same of other groups. In Ireland  I am specifically thinking of the travelling community, who many of us have had no problem discriminating against.

Other than that, there are some books on the subject that I found enlightening. Akala, the incredibly articulate London rapper, wrote a superb book on the matter. Anything Afua Hirsch writes on the subject is similar, her book 'Brit(ish)' is based from being constantly asked where she was really from when answering Wimbledon.  Reni Eddo-Lodge 'Why I'm Talking to White People about Race' isn't a comfortable read, she certainly doesn't pull any punches, but it is really eye-opening. I have also started listening to her podcast which is also brilliant. I'm sure there are loads of other books and podcasts out there too. I think white people have a duty to at least try and educate ourselves.
I watched this today. It's from Oprah in 1992. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 11:21pm
Jane Elliott is great. She really cuts through all the bullsh*t and simplifies it. She must have been a wonderful teacher.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 11:38pm
Twitter is an absolute sess pit at the moment. Re the cork stabbing, was there a racial motive or was this just a case of scrotes being scrotes, sake as you would unfortunately see else where (and we have)?
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 12:19am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Twitter is an absolute sess pit at the moment. Re the cork stabbing, was there a racial motive or was this just a case of scrotes being scrotes, sake as you would unfortunately see else where (and we have)?
From what I can gather on Twitter, it was not race related. It was over two euro. One of the fellas arrested done something similar last week. People think it is race related because the four fellas arrested were African.

Edited by Jackal - 08 Jun 2020 at 12:20am
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 12:24am
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Racism is rife in Ireland, unfortunately. Over the past week I have come across many stories of how black people have been racially abused in Ireland. As I have said on here before, Irish people seem to have this belief that we cannot be properly racist because we were victims ourselves and weren't colonisers. The reason I went to a protest was that I feel it was important that communities show that people are anti-racist. It isn't enough to not be racist, people have to be anti-racist. I assume that is what most people who went were doing. Or maybe they are all superheroes.

Yeah all Superheroes like you! The expert on all things racist now along with everything else.

Confused
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 12:25am

There are many thousands of people in Ireland, and outside actors, who are only dying to start a race war in this country. 

We should never, ever think we are immune from the far right insanity going on elsewhere - we've alredy had a taste of it ourselves, with that **** Peter Casey and scumbags like Mattie McGrath and Verona Murphy, as well as the far-right media scumbags like you know who. There is massive open racism towards Travellers in this country, and plenty of open and much more less open racism towards other ethnic minorities. Our media shows zero sign of learning from the mistakes made in other countries.

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 1:06am
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

From what I can gather on Twitter, it was not race related. It was over two euro. One of the fellas arrested done something similar last week. People think it is race related because the four fellas arrested were African.

Maybe it was just some trolls or whatever but there were posts going up from black ‘gangs’ congratulating the guys behind the attack and saying all the white boys are going to have their women taken as prizes for the black kings, etc.
As said, could be just online bullsh*t
I’m sure there’s as much coming from the white side too. 

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 1:14am

As Homer said to Ned  

WILL YOU TWO SHUT UP!

How can you classify the two lads as the same. Whether you agree with him or not PM adds to the forum with humour and intelligent posts. I don’t really see what trig adds just childish digs and thinks he has won by attempting to wind someone up. Think PM has dealt with it pretty well to be fair. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 1:21am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Maybe it was just some trolls or whatever but there were posts going up from black ‘gangs’ congratulating the guys behind the attack and saying all the white boys are going to have their women taken as prizes for the black kings, etc.

That's a fake Twitter page. It's called the 33rd Dail. It was used before for basically anything anti government. 100% fake account.

The front page of the Examiner says released without charge.

Edited by Jackal - 08 Jun 2020 at 1:24am
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 1:37am

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

That's a fake Twitter page. It's called the 33rd Dail. It was used before for basically anything anti government. 100% fake account.

The front page of the Examiner says released without charge.

Ah cool. I don’t use twitter much. When I seen the video and then seen posts like that I was thinking “what the feck is happening with these teens” and was thinking the situation with the protests And a ‘black power’ movement could make things worse. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 5:41am

What has surprised me the most has been the ages of those who have given interviews recently, especially the athletes. All relatively young (early 20's). Every single one of them painted a grim picture of what it's like to grow up here. 

Stefan Okunbor, the Kerry minor winner who now plays in the AFL, spoke about how he was racially abused by ex-team mates/friends during games when he played against them. He even said he had been called a "black b@stard" by an older person he worked with, who just received a warning and nothing more.

Why it surprised me is that I would have thought (naively, as I look back on it now), that those whose families arrived in the mid-to-late 00's had more chance at smoother integration as Ireland was starting to become more of a multi-cultural place, compared to when I was in primary school in the 90's (How multi-cultural Ireland really is is certainly up for debate). 

According to an EU-wide study, Ireland ranks worst among workplace racism, 10-15% above the EU average. As PM says, there seems to be this myth that we can't be racist because we were victims of oppression for so long. 

Have heard David McWilliams talk about the book "How the Irish became White" and how it examines the course of Irish America's relationship with the African-American community from the 18th & 19th centuries to present day. There's a free PDF available online for anyone looking to read it.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 9:34am
That sounds interesting, is there a link?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 173174175176177 329>
  Share Topic