Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roy Keane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 146147148149150 163>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 12:47pm
We can only speculate as we're obviously on the outside but it does seem like Kane may not be suited to captain. He comes across as a quiet individual and it could be a case where he takes the captaincy too seriously or feels he has to take on more responsibility with it. I think Johnny Giles made a similar point before. 

I'm no defender of Keane on here but I think he's probably correct on Kane irrespective of how he behaved as captain in Saipan. 

We can't fully be sure either when none of us are privy to what goes on inside the Spurs and England camps. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

We can only speculate as we're obviously on the outside but it does seem like Kane may not be suited to captain.

Would that be same Kane who captained England to the World Cup semi-final in 2018?

Or the one who scored in every game of England's qualifiers for these finals (12 in 8 games,. actually)

Or the one who is England's highest scoring Captain ever?

We can't fully be sure either when none of us are privy to what goes on inside the Spurs and England camps. 
Exactly!

And your "we" includes Roy Keane - but that doesn't stop him from prognosticating about it in a TV studio.

He might as well hang a sign round his neck saying "Will talk sh*te for money"

Edited by Territorial - 21 Jun 2021 at 1:08pm
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 1:10pm
You don’t need to wear a little band around your arm to be a leader on the pitch. Generally leaders will step up and should be all over the pitch. 

Ask Keane a simple question: Did he need his captain to motivate him when he was playing? 
He’ll tell you to go F yourself.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

We can only speculate as we're obviously on the outside but it does seem like Kane may not be suited to captain.

Would that be same Kane who captained England to the World Cup semi-final in 2018?

Or the one who scored in every game of England's qualifiers for these finals (12 in 8 games,. actually)

Exactly!

And your "we" includes Roy Keane - but that doesn't stop him from prognosticating about it in a TV studio.

I'm not talking about Kane's ability as a player. It just looks from the outside that Kane isn't the assertive or confrontational (when it's required for an ill disciplined teammate) type and the captaincy may suit a player with those characteristics more than it does Kane. He could be overthinking it instead of concentrating on his own game. 

I wouldn't be a big fan of forwards being captains in general. Would prefer if it was given to a player further down the pitch such as a centre back or midfielder  (if there's a suitably experienced player) but that's just personal preference. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 1:33pm

Exactly!

How much of getting past Tunisia, Panama, Colombia (on penalties) and Sweden was to do with great capataincy all the same? Is that his only success as a captain?
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 1:42pm
Thou shalt not insult Spurs LOL 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 1:49pm

I'm not talking about Kane's ability as a player. It just looks from the outside that Kane isn't the assertive or confrontational (when it's required for an ill disciplined teammate) type and the captaincy may suit a player with those characteristics more than it does Kane.

Bobby Moore wasn't obviously assertive or confrontational either - didn't stop him from being the most successful England (and WHU) captain ever.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

How much of getting past Tunisia, Panama, Colombia (on penalties) and Sweden was to do with great capataincy all the same?
My point is that after years of under-performing in finals previously, England did much better in 2018.

Of course the captaincy is only a small part of that, but it cannot be denied that they stepped up to the mark, which is not easily done by a group of players who lack leadership.

Is that his only success as a captain?
Well he's only been captain since 2017 LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 2:04pm
Is he captain of Spurs though? 

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 2:32pm

I was wondering when someone might ask that question, and the answer is "No". For Poch made Hugo Lloris his captain in summer 2015 i.e. before Kane (then 21) was fully established in the Spurs team.

That's the same Lloris who has now captained France over 100 times, a record. (That's the France who are the reigning world champions btw, it was in  all the papers).

But curiously enough, here is what Poch had to say when Lloris had to drop out of the team injured:

‘Natural leader’ Harry Kane won’t be fazed by Spurs role, says Pochettino

England captain will wear armband in absence of Hugo Lloris

Mauricio Pochettino believes Harry Kane is a natural leader and will not be weighed down by the responsibility of taking on the Tottenham captaincy.

“Harry has become a natural leader,” Pochettino said. “We will miss Hugo for a few months and to have Harry step up is important. He does not need to feel too much pressure, just to act natural. When you do that, if you are a natural leader, you don’t feel the responsibility."

But heyho, what would Pochettino know about Harry Kane, compared to an all-knowing, all-seeing sage like Roy Keane? LOL

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 2:34pm

I was wondering when someone might ask that question, and the answer is "No".

For Pochettino already made Hugo Lloris his captain in summer 2015 i.e. before Kane (then 21) was fully established in the Spurs team.

(That's the same Lloris who has now captained France over 100 times, a record. You know France, the reigning world champions? You surely must have heard of them, it was in  all the papers).

But curiously enough, here is what Poch had to say when Lloris had to drop out of the team injured:

‘Natural leader’ Harry Kane won’t be fazed by Spurs role, says Pochettino

England captain will wear armband in absence of Hugo Lloris

Mauricio Pochettino believes Harry Kane is a natural leader and will not be weighed down by the responsibility of taking on the Tottenham captaincy.

“Harry has become a natural leader,” Pochettino said. “We will miss Hugo for a few months and to have Harry step up is important. He does not need to feel too much pressure, just to act natural. When you do that, if you are a natural leader, you don’t feel the responsibility."

But heyho, what would Pochettino know about Harry Kane, compared to an all-knowing, all-seeing sage like Roy Keane? LOL

Edited by Territorial - 21 Jun 2021 at 2:38pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 2:39pm
A simple "No, Lloris is the captain" would have done. 

You seem to read a lot into quotes from managers on their own players. There's a lot of diplomatic bullsh*t talked by managers when asked a question. They're hardly going to say "no i don't think Harry is a leader"

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 3:30pm

A simple "No, Lloris is the captain" would have done. 

A simple "No" would have seen me fall headlong into the trap you were trying to lay for me, though.

And whatever else, I'm not that stupid!

(Btw, I'm not still beating my wife, either)

You seem to read a lot into quotes from managers on their own players. There's a lot of diplomatic bullsh*t talked by managers when asked a question. They're hardly going to say "no i don't think Harry is a leader"

Er, no, I'm gping by their actions, not their words i.e. Southgate and Pochettino both made Kane their Captain, GS permnanently and MP temporarily (i.e. until his original captain returned).

Or do you imagine Poch would have selected Kane if he didn't feel he had the neecessary qualities?

Which gets to the heart of this. In makinjg my case, I try to produce hard evidence to back it up, including pointing to Kane's record, along with the actions of people who know and have worked with Kane on a daily basis for years.

Whereas all you have is the opinion of a studio pundit, who doesn't have any personal insight into the player, but who's being paid to say controversial things and attract attention - "human clickbait", if you like.

The irony being that that's just the sort of crappy punditry which Keane would have roundly derided in his playing days.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 3:35pm
Don't shoot the messenger. 
I got involved in this topic by reporting what I had heard Keane say in a clip I watched a few days ago on the same subject. 
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 3:36pm
That huddle in the dressing room on the Spurs documentary where Kane gives a gee up to the lads doesn't scream great captain. Based on that few seconds of footage and ignoring everything else, I am with Keano on this.
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 11:10pm
so now Territorial has moved from commenting on any player from the north to posting anecdotes from kane's supposed commando-like leadership ability from paintball. u have to laugh
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

so now Territorial has moved from commenting on any player from the north to posting anecdotes from kane's supposed commando-like leadership ability from paintball. u have to laugh
LOL
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 10:48am
Kane is the worst captain since that bloke who sank the Costa Concordia!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 146147148149150 163>
  Share Topic