You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody know anything about cars?????!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9596979899 133>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 11:43pm
what’s sort of cost would we be talking about?

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 8:03am
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

what’s sort of cost would we be talking about?
I’d say somewhere around €130-170 in total 
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 10:58am
cheers, that wouldn’t be too bad, had a neighbour look at it that’s knows a lot more about cars than me and he says it’s def the spring

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 11:01am

cheers, that wouldn’t be too bad, had a neighbour look at it that’s knows a lot more about cars than me and he says it’s def the spring
That parts around €50/60 so realistically it’s whatever labour the mechanic/garage is charging on that. 
A broken spring would be considered wear & tear so wouldn’t be included on a warranty package 
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 9:08pm
got it all done for 120, got car back today

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 9:21pm

got it all done for 120, got car back today
Happy days, Dundalk cheaper than Dublin! 
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 9:26pm
ha not even Dundalk, out in the sticks here!

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 10:39pm
To answer the original thread title, I think 9 fingers does.  Hope that helps 

Edited by Baldrick - 17 Apr 2020 at 10:39pm
AKA pedantic kunt
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Only a matter of time before the online epidemioligists and horticulturalists turn their expertise to the motor trade, he's f**ked then. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Only a matter of time before the online epidemioligists and horticulturalists turn their expertise to the motor trade, he's f**ked then. 

LOLLOL
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 6:05am
Well a so called mechanic on Ybig told me that the noise from the front suspension might be the wishbone bushes. That's exactly what they want me to think though, a Barista who hasn't actually ever been in a car, never mind drive one, is certain that it is the rearview mirror. I don't know who to believe any more. 

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 8:03pm
Reckon now is the time to get a good deal on a car, anyone tried their hand lately? Looking at 201 hybrid Corolla Sol, one going there for 30.5, any idea what I might get off that? 

Never bought a car from a dealer before, bought my one and only car five years ago off a mate for a fair price.

Edit, just to point out they're not open so deals have to be done by phone 

Edited by nvidic - 22 Apr 2020 at 8:14pm
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 8:45pm
Hold off for a few weeks prices will come down further
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 10:59pm
Very hard to say to be honest but the margins on brand new cars are very fine, dealers make far more percentage wise on nearly new motors. So you’ve a better chance on getting a deal on a 3/4month old car than a brand new one. Especially now.  
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 1:06am
Haven't seen too many bargains around this way yet anyway. Very hard to know, usually when dealers are in bother, cashflow is the first thing to be affected, and in those cases, ya will be able to drive a bargain, not that you will know that they are in financial bother going in the door though. Cases like that, they will take a loss on a yoke just to pay wages. 

With the current situation though, a lot of dealers won't be paying their staff anyway, they'll be on the government scheme, so their outgoings might not be huge at the moment either, ie they aren't necessarily under pressure for immediate cash. Maybe look for one that recently completed an expensive showroom refurbishment, there will be bills to be paid on that. 

It is fairly certain though that the motor trade in general will be hit hard at some point soon enough, the last recession killed off a good few places, mainly small ones that bigger multi dealers stepped in & took over the franchises, if not the premises themselves. I don't think it is as straightforward this time though as regards who will be picked off or who could be in bother. 

An ex-employer of mine for example, sells hundreds of cars each year to the hire car industry, then re-sells them, having bought them back again, when they are 1 or 2 years old. Even if garages reopen tomorrow, that industry will be buying exactly nothing for a good while yet, so that's their biggest customer gone for the foreseeable. The hire cars just sit there and depreciate, hire crowds will either have to take that hit or sell them back to garages at a heavy enough discount, the 2nd hand market here is fairly flooded as it is, though not necessarily with good quality yokes, which is why imports were thriving in the last few years. 

For all I know, they might have plenty cash reserves and be able to see it out, but not an awful lot of businesses can lose their biggest customer and still keep going, never mind trying to replace those (lost) volume sales in the middle of a recession. It should theoretically prove to be something of a buyers market, but the value of the car you are driving now will also take a hit on a trade in, so in that sense yer nearly better off driving something of little value if looking for a bargain. 

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 8:40am
Cheers lads, current car is worth next to nothing so if I get 1.5k for it I'd be happy

The car I'm looking at was registered in Jan but hasn't sold for whatever reason so hoping will get a good deal, will ring them anyway and see what happens. 
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 8:47am
From what I have heard the Brands/Manufacturers are releasing funds due to dealers early to help with cash flow until things get back to normal. Given the 2 bumper months of the year had only gone before the lockdown this will keep main dealers going for a while.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Reckon now is the time to get a good deal on a car, anyone tried their hand lately? Looking at 201 hybrid Corolla Sol, one going there for 30.5, any idea what I might get off that? 

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Cheers lads, current car is worth next to nothing so if I get 1.5k for it I'd be happy
The car I'm looking at was registered in Jan but hasn't sold for whatever reason so hoping will get a good deal, will ring them anyway and see what happens. 

'Whatever reason' is likely a concerted campaign of pre-registering by Toyota to get the Hybrid Corolla to the top of the sales charts. These numbers are reported on in the media by month and quarter, and being top of those reports is normally worth some extra sales in themselves, that's the theory anyway. 

Some in this country don't engage in this practice at all (Mercedes being one) but Nissan were notorious for it back in the day- there was always heaps of newly registered Nissans available in the old Windsor Group at decent discounts, though most would argue they were still selling for more than they were worth after Nissan turned French. 

The Corolla certainly has some interesting sales stats this year compared to last, up 43% while any other single model was in negative figures. https://stats.beepbeep.ie. Whether you get a bargain or not depends on who took the hit for pre-registering the car, sometimes the manufacturer covers that, in which case the dealer still has a bit left to play with. Other times, say when a franchise is up for renewal shortly, the manufacturer will eh, gently suggest to the dealer that they register a few cars per end of month or quarter. If it's the 2nd case, you get fcuk all off, the tight margin that 9F referred to is nearly at the bottom line already. 

Could also be a case of being a demo model, which is something every dealer does legitimately, the bigger ones will even demo 4 or 5 of the same car at varying specs, particularly a new version of the model which the Corolla is. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9596979899 133>
  Share Topic