Anybody know anything about cars?????!!

Printed From: You Boys in Green
Category: Other Forums
Forum Name: Whatever!
Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=46229
Printed Date: 25 Apr 2024 at 6:30pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Anybody know anything about cars?????!!
Posted By: JUICEBOMB
Subject: Anybody know anything about cars?????!!
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 1:14pm
Need to buy a new car,as the better half is expecting in a few weeks and the fact that we've 2 dogs we've decided to go for an estate.narrowed it down to an 04 Audi a4 1.8 turbo avant petrol or a honda accord executive 2.2 deseil .the Audi is a lovely looking car but I guessing it'd be an animal on juice or is there much of a difference between 1.8 petrol and 2.2 deseil??? The honda has loads more extras but the tax is nearly €300 more a year than the Audii!!!!!both cars are the same price....just seems to me what you gain in one you lose in the other...Any help???

-------------
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

Replies:
Posted By: Cotsy
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 1:18pm
9 fingers is your man.

-------------
Bohs Till I Die

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 1:30pm
The accord deisel every time! The €300 on tax you'll make back in fuel savings in no time. The accord will be more reliable, more hard wearing (for the dogs and buggies etc) Also the boot is bigger. Lovely car to drive too, only advice I'd give would be to get a cartell check done as both would be ideal for reps or taxis so high mileage would be commonplace.

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 1:34pm
Audi has 81,000 on it and the honda has 128,000 (both miles) is that a bit high for the honda or is that ok for a deisel engine??? The accord has a lovely cream leather finish aswell and as you said a massive boot.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

Audi has 81,000 on it and the honda has 128,000 (both miles) is that a bit high for the honda or is that ok for a deisel engine??? The accord has a lovely cream leather finish aswell and as you said a massive boot.

128 is a little high, but if it was well looked after there shouldn't really be an issue. Private sale or from a garage? Any sort of service history?

Posted By: Huggybeer
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 1:45pm
As 9 finger said, a cartell check worth the money,
mate of Mine sold a 04 A4 to two business students from kerry last week, with 200k+ on the clock, its now on Donedeal with 100k taken off the clock

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 1:46pm
Garage and full service history....2 owners and the car is in mint condition 9fingers.....would the Audi be a guzzler on juice??the garage even offered for me to take one of them for the weekend....what price would you put on both of them??

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 1:46pm
Will the cartel check show the cars original mileage???

-------------

Posted By: sausy
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 2:09pm
have had the 1.8T in my old Goft Gti and more recently a 180bhp version in an A3. Not great on petrol at all, I used to get about 280 miles to a tank (€70) and that would include a good bit of motorway driving too.

-------------
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 2:18pm
Think the a4 is 163bhp sausy so it wouldn't be much Better on juice I'd say...though 280 miles for 70 isn't bad.the car will be mostly used by herself for going up and down the m50 to her folks when she has the baby,so I'd say the deisel honda would prob be the better choice.the Audi looks a beast of a car though.

-------------

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 3:21pm
My focking Zafira is eating the juice
**** of a yoke
Also 9fingers...skreeching noise when I break from the back breaks
Didn't know there such a thing?
Thought breaks all in the front
Anything to worry about bud?

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 3:41pm
The Audi is a lovely car to look at but the honda will be way more frugal on juice. Cartell will show up the mileage from all services and NCT tests. I think with a nipper on the way the Honda would be my choice

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

My focking Zafira is eating the juice
**** of a yoke
Also 9fingers...skreeching noise when I break from the back breaks
Didn't know there such a thing?
Thought breaks all in the front
Anything to worry about bud?

yeah BSM there's brakes at all wheels, bring to a mechanic and get it checked. Brakes aren't really something you should gamble with

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 9:22pm
Cheers 9fingers....gonna have another look at the two of them 2morrow,prob gonna go for the honda.

-------------

Posted By: Scamper
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 10:21pm
Nissan Qashqai + 2, loads of space for you , missus, kiddies, dogs, and comes in 1.5 diesel , so cheap tax and very cheap to run.

-------------
====#Everywhere you play, We'll Follow====

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 12:15pm

Think the a4 is 163bhp sausy so it wouldn't be much Better on juice I'd say...though 280 miles for 70 isn't bad.the car will be mostly used by herself for going up and down the m50 to her folks when she has the baby,so I'd say the deisel honda would prob be the better choice.the Audi looks a beast of a car though.

Those 1.8T go from 150bhp to 225bhp depending on the mapping and turbo. Not a fast car, but definitely quicker than most, lovely pull through the revs once the boost kicks in. Take it for a test drive and see what you think.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 9:35am
Went to check the two cars out yesterday....have to say the Audi looks unreal,but I ended up taken the honda for the weekend.lovely car to drive and very high spec model but one thing that gets me is.......when I picked up the car the light was on for deisel,I stuck €15 worth into it yesterday and the light is back on already....it did 29 miles for the €15...is this about right???im not sure how to work out the mpg but seems to me to not be great value??? The deisel was 145 a liter and the car too roughly about 7 liters(or is it gallons??)

-------------

Posted By: St.Pauli Reloaded 2
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 10:36am

Went to check the two cars out yesterday....have to say the Audi looks unreal,but I ended up taken the honda for the weekend.lovely car to drive and very high spec model but one thing that gets me is.......when I picked up the car the light was on for deisel,I stuck €15 worth into it yesterday and the light is back on already....it did 29 miles for the €15...is this about right???im not sure how to work out the mpg but seems to me to not be great value??? The deisel was 145 a liter and the car too roughly about 7 liters(or is it gallons??)

If your getting 7 litres for 100 km then thats spot on for this bus , know someone who has one and he has never had a  bother  with it Wink

-------------
In Martin and Roy we Trust !

Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 10:42am
29miles for €15 wtf

I would get between 150-170km for the same amount in mine, it's a diesel car.

Also BSM you're some boyo!

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 11:25am

Every garage is the same, has them all running on fumes. Wouldn't worry about mpg until you fill it a few times and see what you get out of it.

As a petrol head I'd be telling you to go for the A4 over the diesel, much more fun to drive a petrol turbo!

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 1:54pm
Jasus sono....150-170km for €15!!!!!!!what size engine is that I hardly got 50km for €15 in a 2.2 deisel......so that doesn't make sense?????if it's running like test sausy I'd be better of driving the Audi cos it'd prob work out cheap on juice than the Audi and it's a petrol!!!

-------------

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 8:40pm
BSM LOL

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Doyler
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 12:23am
Estate carsThumbs Up
I've got a Renault laguna 1.9DCI, not too heavy on the fuel at all. Red diesel is the only job too(or green, whatever colour it is down there)

-------------
Look at these scenes, just look at these scenes!

"it's too strong lads!"

Posted By: Carmody 10
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 3:53am
Going to view a Fiat Stilo tomorrow providing it's still available. Anyone ever owned one ? Worth the hassle ? Do they give much trouble ?

-------------
Out of order

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 7:51am

Jasus sono....150-170km for €15!!!!!!!what size engine is that I hardly got 50km for €15 in a 2.2 deisel......so that doesn't make sense?????if it's running like test sausy I'd be better of driving the Audi cos it'd prob work out cheap on juice than the Audi and it's a petrol!!!

Only seeing this now, it's a 1.9 tdi, I actually thought it could be even more efficient but maybe I'm just being greedy, 50km for €15 is mental though!

Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 8:01am
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Only seeing this now, it's a 1.9 tdi, I actually thought it could be even more efficient but maybe I'm just being greedy, 50km for €15 is mental though!

Agreed........I would get around 65-70km for €15 and my engine is 5.2 Litre V10

-------------
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Carmody 10 Carmody 10 wrote:

Going to view a Fiat Stilo tomorrow providing it's still available. Anyone ever owned one ? Worth the hassle ? Do they give much trouble ?

Stay well away from all older fiats. I.E pre 06ish. Tbh personally I'd stay away from the post 06 too.

Posted By: HateHenry
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Carmody 10 Carmody 10 wrote:

F ix I t A gain T ony  ...stay away would be the general consensus on 2nd hand/new fiats

-------------
Polska Bialo Czerwoni

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 9:53am
soon as you buy a fiat it is worthless.

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 10:26am
I get about 170 miles for 50e...1.6 petrol
Is that normal?

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 10:33am
That's 272km, I thought it would be better but wasn't ever sure in the difference between a petrol and a diesel, for the same money I would get at least 500km, I won't ever be buying a petrol car again that's for sure.

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 10:38am
First car was a fiat. Jesus what a nightmare. Never again.

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 10:41am
French and Italian women Thumbs Up
French and Italian cars Thumbs Down

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 10:41am

I get about 170 miles for 50e...1.6 petrol
Is that normal?

A very rough guide but around 200miles per half tank would be fairly normal for 1.6 petrol

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 10:43am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Same as. Cost me more getting it repaired than what I bought it for. Bro had the same with his Alfa Romeo, are all Italian cars sh*te besides ferrari's?

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 10:47am
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Same as. Cost me more getting it repaired than what I bought it for. Bro had the same with his Alfa Romeo, are all Italian cars sh*te besides ferrari's?

Fiat own all 3 Drog

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 10:52am
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Generally great bodies, but awful temperamental.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 11:04am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

The cars or the women? Could genuinely apply to both!

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Posted By: greengiant
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 11:05am
Anyone any experience of Nissan Primeras?,the one im looking at is an 02 1.6 petrol,85,000 miles??

-------------
The first two-syllable word I ever learned growing up was discretion." Dunphy on a his childhood

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 11:18am
Originally posted by greengiant greengiant wrote:

Anyone any experience of Nissan Primeras?,the one im looking at is an 02 1.6 petrol,85,000 miles??

Not a bad car, no timing belt on them, ask about service history as regular oil changes are very important. Probably best off getting it checked by a mechanic before you buy as they can have gearbox and front suspension issues but both are easily checked.

Posted By: greengiant
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 11:38am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by greengiant greengiant wrote:

Not a bad car, no timing belt on them, ask about service history as regular oil changes are very important. Probably best off getting it checked by a mechanic before you buy as they can have gearbox and front suspension issues but both are easily checked.
Cheers lad!,gettin it cheap enough,hes throwin in a new clutch and im getting it fitted by a mate who has checked the car over,thanks Thumbs Up

-------------
The first two-syllable word I ever learned growing up was discretion." Dunphy on a his childhood

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 11:52am

That was the joke, damnit.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 11:54am

That was the joke, damnit.

Whoops LOL

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 10:14pm
I ended up buying the accord estate and have to say its a top notch motor,great to drive and loads of extras......I stuck €40 worth of deisel in it last week and got 226 miles out of it...which I think works out at about 44mpg so it's not as bad as I first thought(a lot of that was city driving aswell) the missus drives the accord mostly and I'm in a 00 ford focus works out I'm getting 39mpg out of that and it's a 1.6 petrol......I give up!!

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 10:36pm

I ended up buying the accord estate and have to say its a top notch motor,great to drive and loads of extras......I stuck €40 worth of deisel in it last week and got 226 miles out of it...which I think works out at about 44mpg so it's not as bad as I first thought(a lot of that was city driving aswell) the missus drives the accord mostly and I'm in a 00 ford focus works out I'm getting 39mpg out of that and it's a 1.6 petrol......I give up!!

That model (99-05)Ford focus is probably the best car made in the last 15 years.
When you take the accord on a long motorway spin you'll get serious mpg out of it. I think you made the right choice over the A4

Date Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 10:43pm
Have to say fingers the focus hasn't missed a beat in the 6 years I've had it.....I was never one for mpg in cars until I just a worked it out for the accord and said I'd do it for the focus....39 mpg for an 00 is great going.yeah I'm chuffed with the accord,it seems the more deisel I put into it the longer it lasts if you know what I mean

-------------

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 6:13pm
Need some car advice 9Fingers.

Went for my pre-NCT check today, car (03 Almera) was moving nicely so wasn't expecting much.

First off, needs 2 new tyres (185/65/15) - no brainer, but yer man is quoting me €100 for Firestone or €90 for Nove. Bit much?

Then apparently I need a new Gearbox Mount (quoted €245) and Exhaust Middle Box (€150). Are these both things you'd fail the NCT for? Are the prices right? Both prices are supplied and fitted.

And feedback would be great.

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Went for my pre-NCT check today, car (03 Almera) was moving nicely so wasn't expecting much.

First off, needs 2 new tyres (185/65/15) - no brainer, but yer man is quoting me €100 for Firestone or €90 for Nove. Bit much?

Then apparently I need a new Gearbox Mount (quoted €245) and Exhaust Middle Box (€150). Are these both things you'd fail the NCT for? Are the prices right? Both prices are supplied and fitted.

Very expensive garage.
Tyres way too dear.
In total he's looking for €595. You could easily get all that done for €400-450 put it through the NCT, see what it fails on and fix accordingly.
Don't waste money on Bridgestone tyres etc but don't go for second ones either! Somewhere around €50 each would be both a decent tyre and decent value

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 6:33pm
9f,

Grinding noise going left and right - it's not too bad. - CV boots or joint?

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Shedite
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 6:58pm

Very expensive garage.
Tyres way too dear.
In total he's looking for €595. You could easily get all that done for €400-450 put it through the NCT, see what it fails on and fix accordingly.
Don't waste money on Bridgestone tyres etc but don't go for second ones either! Somewhere around €50 each would be both a decent tyre and decent value
Cheers, figured it seemed a bid expensive alright. I'll ring around a few more garages in the morning to get more quotes. I've the NCT booked for next Thursday, would the Gearbox Mount and/or Exhaust Middle Box be reasons to fail the NCT?

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 7:12pm

Very expensive garage.
Tyres way too dear.
Cheers, figured it seemed a bid expensive alright. I'll ring around a few more garages in the morning to get more quotes. I've the NCT booked for next Thursday, would the Gearbox Mount and/or Exhaust Middle Box be reasons to fail the NCT?

Yeah both would be reasons for failure but both would have to be quite bad to fail the NCT

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

9f,

what car? Worn Cv joint will give a loud quick knocking noise (quicker the speed quicker the knock) when the steering is on full lock

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 7:32pm

9f,

what car? Worn Cv joint will give a loud quick knocking noise (quicker the speed quicker the knock) when the steering is on full lock

Lexus IS200.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 7:40pm

9f,

Lexus IS200.

Won't be a cv joint so as drive shafts are on the back axle so don't steer! Front wheel bearing possibly?

Posted By: Mick_G
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 8:14pm
You should be charging for this fingers :)
Might as well get my spoke in.have a 1.9 superb and it's coming up alternator workshop and battery light flashing.i had the alternator reconditioned so it shouldn't be that.any ideas ?

-------------
@mickgleeson82

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 8:38pm

9f,

Lexus IS200.

Won't be a cv joint so as drive shafts are on the back axle so don't steer! Front wheel bearing possibly?

Bring your tools and you can do it as a nixer whilst your on the bench for tomorrow's match

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Mick_G Mick_G wrote:

You should be charging for this fingers :)
Might as well get my spoke in.have a 1.9 superb and it's coming up alternator workshop and battery light flashing.i had the alternator reconditioned so it shouldn't be that.any ideas ?

Glad to help.
Starts ok every morning yeah? Battery replaced recently?

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 8:45pm
Yeah starts fine.not sure about the battery I only bought it a couple of months ago I doubt the battery was replaced recently though.ive done a heap of work on it

-------------
@mickgleeson82

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 8:57pm

Yeah starts fine.not sure about the battery I only bought it a couple of months ago I doubt the battery was replaced recently though.ive done a heap of work on it

Well if you only got the alternator refurbed I'd bring it back to whoever did it and let them have a look.

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 8:58pm

9f,

Lexus IS200.

Bring your tools and you can do it as a nixer whilst your on the bench for tomorrow's match

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2013 at 5:39pm

Well if you only got the alternator refurbed I'd bring it back to whoever did it and let them have a look.

Cheers fingers will do your a gent

-------------
@mickgleeson82

Posted By: Roll_It_There
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2013 at 10:05am
Think my car is f*ck crazy sound of metal scrapping off the road when I was breaking this morning nearly afraid to drive it home from work

-------------
Twitter @roisin_ob

Posted By: Sligo Hornet
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2013 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Roll_It_There Roll_It_There wrote:

Think my car is f*ck crazy sound of metal scrapping off the road when I was breaking this morning nearly afraid to drive it home from work
Sounds like someone may have stolen the tyres.

-------------
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2013 at 10:34am

Your brake pads are completely worn by the sounds of it and are grinding against the brake discs. Take it easy goin home and get a mechanic to check it tomorrow or Saturday

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2013 at 10:40am
Cheers 👍 any idea how expensive it is if both need to be replaced??

-------------
Twitter @roisin_ob

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2013 at 10:49am

Cheers 👍 any idea how expensive it is if both need to be replaced??

What are you driving?

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2013 at 10:54am
Peugeot 307 04

-------------
Twitter @roisin_ob

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2013 at 11:08am

Peugeot 307 04

Replace front brake pads and discs you'd be lookin around €150-€170. Now that's a rough estimate on an educated guess! So it mightn't be very accurate. But you should defo get it check as soon as possible

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2013 at 11:13am
Great thanks for your help I'll ring around try get somewhere to take it tomorrow

-------------
Twitter @roisin_ob

Posted By: Metal Paul
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2013 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

Sounds like someone may have stolen the tyres.

-------------
"There are no chicks with dicks Johnny, just guys with tits."

Posted By: DG80
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 10:38am
have to bring the car in for a service. its an 07 focus. yer man was saying that cars over 5 years old and over 120,000km must have the timing belt changed. is this correct. how much is a timing belt anyway?

-------------
cup champions

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 10:42am
Originally posted by DG80 DG80 wrote:

have to bring the car in for a service. its an 07 focus. yer man was saying that cars over 5 years old and over 120,000km must have the timing belt changed. is this correct. how much is a timing belt anyway?
petrol or diesel?

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 10:48am
petrol

-------------
cup champions

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 11:11am
Officially from Ford the replacement interval is 160k kms or 10 years on 1.2/ 1.4/ 1.6 petrol fords. But would usually recommend it around 140k kms(100k mls)or 8/9 years. Price should be somewhere between 3-400€

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 11:16am
thanks

-------------
cup champions

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 11:30am
9F, Engine light on on 06D 3 series. Am I in trouble? Or straightforward enough?

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 11:40am
Could be numerous things McG, but obviously 1 sensor has picked up a fault, if left unfixed it is possible that another sensor or component could become faulty. So best advice would be get it checked as soon as you can.

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 11:46am
Thumbs Up

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 12:00pm

9F, Engine light on on 06D 3 series. Am I in trouble? Or straightforward enough?

If it is an E46, yer probably looking at one of an exhaust sensor, a coolant temperature sensor or an airflow meter. 

If it is an E90, it could be anything, take yer pick from the turbo, engine oil breather, ignition coils (if it is a petrol) , various sensors, or worse again, the timing chain is out , a lot of these models were recalled by BMW to have a replacement timing chain adjuster fitted. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: The Huntacha
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 3:36pm
Quick question for you 9F, how much would I be looking at to replace a rear wheel bearing? It's a '97 VW Polo. Cheers Thumbs Up

-------------
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 4:13pm
I'd say that wheel barring would cost more than a 97 VW Polo.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 4:33pm

I'd say that wheel barring would cost more than a 97 VW Polo.

LOL I fcking hope not!

-------------

Posted By: daboi89
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Quick question for you 9F, how much would I be looking at to replace a rear wheel bearing? It's a '97 VW Polo. Cheers Thumbs Up

less than a tenner online for the bearing and kit ( seal nut grease and a split pin/circlip ). handy enough fit

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 7:51pm
When does the timing belt need replaced on a 09 Focus? 1.6 Petrol. Currently 59k on the clock. Some lad I was chatting to the other week reckons I should be looking a changing it once I hit the 70k mark.

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by El_nino El_nino wrote:

When does the timing belt need replaced on a 09 Focus? 1.6 Petrol. Currently 59k on the clock. Some lad I was chatting to the other week reckons I should be looking a changing it once I hit the 70k mark.

Same as DG80 above. All 1.2/ 1.4/ 1.6 petrol fords from 1998ish up to 2012ish are 160k kms or 10 years but around 140k kms or 8 years is when i'd recommend. ( I'm a former Ford technician)

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by daboi89 daboi89 wrote:

less than a tenner online for the bearing and kit ( seal nut grease and a split pin/circlip ). handy enough fit

Yep Daboi is right.
In a garage you'd be looking at €60-€80 to do the job

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 8:52pm

Originally posted by El_nino El_nino wrote:

Same as DG80 above. All 1.2/ 1.4/ 1.6 petrol fords from 1998ish up to 2012ish are 160k kms or 10 years but around 140k kms or 8 years is when i'd recommend. ( I'm a former Ford technician)

Good man.

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 9:40pm
9F...mates car is nearly 3 years NCT out of date
What would happen if he got it done in the new year?
Would the cert be unless?

-------------

Posted By: Wheelo
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 7:22am
Looking for a bit of advice 9fingers.

Need to get myself a car to get to and from a new job in January.

I'm open to any make or model (would prefer small engine with petrol in mind). Just need something reliable enough and nct'd preferably.

Have about 1k to 1.5k to spend.

Any suggestions? (Or even better do you or anyone else know someone selling an alright motor?)

Any advice or suggestions from anyone appreciated as my head is melted browsing carzone, carsireland,etc and I don't know much about cars at all, bar how to drive one!!!!

-------------
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 9:29am

9F...mates car is nearly 3 years NCT out of date
What would happen if he got it done in the new year?
Would the cert be unless?

No. Say for example his cert expired 3/9/10 the next time he gets it tested the cert expiry date will be 3/9/14.

The only thing that ever changes on a cert is the year. The day and month will always remain the same

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 9:58am

Originally posted by daboi89 daboi89 wrote:

Yep Daboi is right.
In a garage you'd be looking at €60-€80 to do the job

Cheers lads, changing a tyre is about the height of my expertise so I'll throw it into a garage Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Looking for a bit of advice 9fingers.

Need to get myself a car to get to and from a new job in January.

I'm open to any make or model (would prefer small engine with petrol in mind). Just need something reliable enough and nct'd preferably.

Have about 1k to 1.5k to spend.

Any suggestions? (Or even better do you or anyone else know someone selling an alright motor?)

Any advice or suggestions from anyone appreciated as my head is melted browsing carzone, carsireland,etc and I don't know much about cars at all, bar how to drive one!!!!

Don't know anyone selling anything at that price but you've plenty of options.
99-01 ford focus 1.4- loads on sale, 98-00 Toyota corolla, 00-02 nissan almera just make sure any you go to see has a recent NCT.
Buying a car is not about the newest reg no you can get for the money! If something seems to cheap to be true it is!

Posted By: Wheelo
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 11:10am

Thanks for those suggestions, appreciate it!

-------------
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 7:35pm
has the car tax gone up for next year. was looking at a car yesterday, same make as me current one but the tax is €580. currently paying €385.

do diesel cars pay lower car tax?

-------------
cup champions

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 7:46pm

has the car tax gone up for next year. was looking at a car yesterday, same make as me current one but the tax is €580. currently paying €385.

No I'd guess yours is a 1.4 and the one you saw was a 1.6.

Any cars registered post 1/6/08 are taxed on emmisions as opposed to engine size so a 1.6 diesel would probably have cheaper tax than a 1.4 petrol

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 7:59pm

Any cars registered post 1/6/08 are taxed on emmisions as opposed to engine size so a 1.6 diesel would probably have cheaper tax than a 1.4 petrol

just checked it there. i was looking at a 1.4 petrol. currently i have a 1.4 petrol also. thats what had me confused

-------------
cup champions

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 9:18pm

just checked it there. i was looking at a 1.4 petrol. currently i have a 1.4 petrol also. thats what had me confused

Their is no pre 2008 car with a tax rate of €580, the closest is €544

Posted By: daithi
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 4:34pm
Anyone able to help with a problem with power steering, (9 fingers or Deise 316)

-------------
Just because it's tradition does not make it right

Posted By: deise316
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 7:24pm
Probably a leak of sorts in a P/S pipe, or a fault in the PS pump. . Don't think that there is any cure for a pump bar replacement. Not familiar with Honda people carriers meself (Is that what yer driving?) so I'm afraid you will have to wait for 9F's greater expertise if it is something else. 

-------------
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....

Posted By: daithi
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Probably a leak of sorts in a P/S pipe, or a fault in the PS pump. . Don't think that there is any cure for a pump bar replacement. Not familiar with Honda people carriers meself (Is that what yer driving?) so I'm afraid you will have to wait for 9F's greater expertise if it is something else. 

Thanks deise, yeah Honda PC,  just hoping its not too expensive to sort it out, was hoping it would be something simple to fix

-------------
Just because it's tradition does not make it right

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net