You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody know anything about cars?????!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8485868788 133>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Missus wants to change her car.

Looking at another VW Golf, but now likes Hyundai i30.

Are i30’s any good??
Probably going to go for a 2014 reg plate.

With diesel’s getting a bad press and resale value dropping, I presume it’s way better to go for a petrol, and stay clear of a diesel?
Green and red diesel still cheap enough 
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 10:37pm

Missus wants to change her car.

Looking at another VW Golf, but now likes Hyundai i30.

Are i30’s any good??
Probably going to go for a 2014 reg plate.

With diesel’s getting a bad press and resale value dropping, I presume it’s way better to go for a petrol, and stay clear of a diesel?

Used work for Hyundai, they are generally a reliable car, have a 5 year warranty from new. Their sister car, the Kia Ceed, comes with a 7 year warranty though, and its more or less the same car, same engine with a few styling differences. Personally would prefer the Kia design, and if you bought one of them off a main dealer, ya would still have 3 years warranty left, as opposed to one year with the Hyundai. 

As regards petrol or diesel, if she is doing less than 15k a year, go for petrol, anywhere above that and you should look at diesel. Resale value, all cars more or less lose 50% of their value when they reach 3 years old, depreciation actually slows down from that point, but with our government's track record with fcuking around with motor tax rates, ya couldn't trust them to not make diesels utterly worthless at some point in the next few years, same as they did to all petrols above 1.4 litre engines back in 2008. If you intend keeping the car a few years, it won't be worth much more than 5K anyway at that point and any depreciation loss is in the hundreds, not thousands. 

All that with one caveat, the Gardai changed to Hyundai (i-40's) from a Ford/Toyota mix back around 2015- they aren't too fond of them, mainly because they spend more time in the workshop than the Fords & Toyota's used to. It hasn't got anything to do with reliability, more so that the wearables in the Hyundai like shocks, brake discs, calipers & various suspension parts are not of the same standard as yer VW, Toyota, Ford etc and don't last as long.  That wouldn't put me off a Hyundai or Kia though, ya have to remember those lads are running those cars 24/7 putting up serious mileage, a normal driver doing 10/15k a year won't ever get near the mileage the Gardai are doing, so that type of wear won't be a significant factor for the normal driver. Though if she does happen to be doing huge mileage, I'd go for something else, like an Auris or Civic. 

Edit; Look at the Kia Ceed ahead of the i-30 though, the extra warranty is worth it, and to my mind, a nicer car too, even though more or less identical underneath. 

Edited by deise316 - 11 Jun 2018 at 10:40pm
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 10:49pm
Funny you say that about the styling of the Ceed, the folks bought that one a few months apart from the brother getting the i30 - both either 2013 or 2014. Would prefer the looks and styling of the Hyundai myself but thats just a personal preference. Preferred the drive as well, a bit sharper, even its its 'sportiest' mode i find the Kia a very soft wallowy thing - which again, some people might prefer.

The 7 year warranty is a good point though and the offical dealerships have been very easy to work with so fat for both of them
@AntrimMan85
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 10:51pm
Did ye trade in the WRX or the Evo Lancer ??

GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 11:49pm
Thanks deise
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 7:51am
lads I have an esp light on my dash on vw golf and it’s been there almost a year LOL and I never did anything about it as it hasn’t affected the performance of the car. 

Nct last week and that was the only thing it failed on, have to go back for a visual, any cheap way of knocking this light off? Ta 👍
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 11:41pm
Any mechanic with a handheld generic diagnostic yoke may be able to clear the fault code & temporarily switch off the light (I say may, some of them won't go off without a part being replaced)- only thing is it will come back on again at some point- might be 5 minutes, might be a year's time, so ya would want to go straight to the NCT centre when tis switched off. 

ESP light on a Passat is nearly always the electronic handbrake switch (newer ones obviously, not the manual handbrake ones) but I'm actually not sure what brings that on in the Golf. At a guess, one of handbrake switch or one of the ABS sensors. 

Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 12:38pm
Thanks Deise will get it looked at this week 👍
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 6:57am
Im considering getting a yaris hybrid 1.5l anyone driving one of these? ive never really drove an automatic so am just a bit unsure of the performance from them.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 8:05am
Originally posted by greenlad greenlad wrote:

Im considering getting a yaris hybrid 1.5l anyone driving one of these? ive never really drove an automatic so am just a bit unsure of the performance from them.
All hybrids & electric cars are auto so if you’re going down that route you really don’t have a choice. 
Toyota/Lexus hybrids are the best available, the Yaris hybrid will also hold its value best. Hybrids thrive in urban areas, if you’re doing long motorway or country driving maybe consider something different as you won’t get full value for money
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 10:06am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Any mechanic with a handheld generic diagnostic yoke may be able to clear the fault code & temporarily switch off the light (I say may, some of them won't go off without a part being replaced)- only thing is it will come back on again at some point- might be 5 minutes, might be a year's time, so ya would want to go straight to the NCT centre when tis switched off. 

ESP light on a Passat is nearly always the electronic handbrake switch (newer ones obviously, not the manual handbrake ones) but I'm actually not sure what brings that on in the Golf. At a guess, one of handbrake switch or one of the ABS sensors. 

Finally got around to sorting this out during the week, ABS module needed to be replaced and it was a costly trip to the garage too, hopefullynever goes again Ouch

bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 5:09pm
Drove to Donegal over the weekend and at times the drivers footwell would get very hot, like the heating was on but it wasn't. Then it would be fine and the passengers side would get roasting hot. Car wasn't over heating or anything, fluids were all topped up. Any ideas what it could be?
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 7:42pm
VW Golf, there was an awful noise today when I put down the passenger window (electric window).
It’s down fully now and won’t come back up.
Sounds like the glass has come off the runner/cog whatever.
Quick fix......or loadsamoney???
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Drove to Donegal over the weekend and at times the drivers footwell would get very hot, like the heating was on but it wasn't. Then it would be fine and the passengers side would get roasting hot. Car wasn't over heating or anything, fluids were all topped up. Any ideas what it could be?
Possible faulty/blocked cat
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 7:55pm

VW Golf, there was an awful noise today when I put down the passenger window (electric window).
Window regulator is knackered. Around €80 plus fitting 
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Nothing to do with the heater matrix then? I had to replace the O rings a few months ago due to leaks
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 9:13pm

Nothing to do with the heater matrix then? I had to replace the O rings a few months ago due to leaks
Obviously it’s very hard for me to tell over the internet but if coolant level was fine & the carpet/floor is dry then I’d guess the heater is fine. 
Just get it checked 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 9:28pm

Window regulator is knackered. Around €80 plus fitting 

Thanks, not too bad.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8485868788 133>
  Share Topic