You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody know anything about cars?????!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 107108109110111 133>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Does anybody on here buy their cars brand new and if so why.  

Was always told that the car depreciates approx from anything to 20 to 40% in the first year.  

Surely a nearly new car is better value.  

Will probably look at a 2020 car in 2022.  

Don't buy new cars myself but really glad that people do as otherwise there would be very limited availability in the used market (there would be ex lease and ex hire). 

Availability and the price of used cars is likely to be an issue in the near future. As a result of Brexit the vast majority of cars imported from the UK will now be subject to VAT and customs duty (in addition to the VRT). This includes vehicles purchased in the North which had previously been registered in Great Britain. 

Garages were importing like it was nobody's business in the final months of 2020. Once this stock is flogged it'll be interesting to see what happens to prices in the used car market. In my opinion it is obvious the lack of supply will drive up prices.

Edited by colemanY2K - 12 Mar 2021 at 3:11pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Was always told that the car depreciates approx from anything to 20 to 40% in the first year.  

Don't buy new cars myself but really glad that people do as otherwise there would be very limited availability in the used market (there would be ex lease and ex hire). 

Availability and the price of used cars is likely to be an issue in the near future. As a result of Brexit the vast majority of cars imported from the UK will now be subject to VAT and customs duty (in addition to the VRT). This includes vehicles purchased in the North which had previously been registered in Great Britain. 

Garages were importing like it was nobody's business in the final months of 2020. Once this stock is flogged it'll be interesting to see what happens to prices in the used car market. In my opinion it is obvious the lack of supply will drive up prices.

Absolutely. Given that car sales fell off a cliff in 2008 and never recovered, having the ability to import at very reasonable costs from the UK over the last decade has meant that used cars were very affordable. The exchange rate really helped. The downside to importing used from the UK meant there was also an impact on new car sales here and higher depreciation of new cars bought due to increased supply. The why go for a new car here when you can get a year old car from the UK with much better spec for significantly less argument made sense for a lot of people. 

There might be a small boost in new car sales now, however, what consumer sentiment will be like is another thing given the medium to longer term impact of Covid measures. In the short term there is a cohort who have increased savings due to no holiday or social spending. 

Even with the extra costs you have highlighted, given the lack of supply of used cars, importing from the UK of hybrids, premium brands and EVs will likely continue to be a viable option for dealers here imo. 
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Availability and the price of used cars is likely to be an issue in the near future. As a result of Brexit the vast majority of cars imported from the UK will now be subject to VAT and customs duty (in addition to the VRT). This includes vehicles purchased in the North which had previously been registered in Great Britain

I thought if it was NI registered then no VAT and same as normal. But could be wrong.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 4:27pm
Sausy, this is to get around the North being used as a back door to avoid VAT. If the car first registered in the north the VAT doesn't apply. 

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The thing about buying a new car is you have to bring it back to the same garage for every service\maintenance work.

And this is where they'll take you to the cleaners.
No you dont. You can bring it wherever you like, and once its a proper/genuine mechanic/garage that uses genuine parts then your warranty is not affected.

The EU brought in laws in 2003 or 2004 to this effect unless they have since been changed and I didnt notice. Ive only ever used the main dealer for warranty related works. Anything else and I use a mechanic I know.

Edited by Sham157 - 12 Mar 2021 at 4:28pm
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

I've never bought a new car but solely for the reason that I could never afford what I wanted new. Makes sense for some people to buy new, especially if they plan to keep upgrading every few years. They are covered under manufacturer warranty, don't have to bother with NCT's and a lot of garages now offer service plan deals to so no unexpected bills.

I would advise anyone looking at a new car to stay as far away from PCP as possible.

Whats wrong with PCP ?
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

I've never bought a new car but solely for the reason that I could never afford what I wanted new. Makes sense for some people to buy new, especially if they plan to keep upgrading every few years. They are covered under manufacturer warranty, don't have to bother with NCT's and a lot of garages now offer service plan deals to so no unexpected bills.

I would advise anyone looking at a new car to stay as far away from PCP as possible.

Whats wrong with PCP ?
It wouldn’t still exist if it benefitted customers 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 7:27pm
Mrs Claret has only had new cars since the last 26 years .

Hey it works for us Approve
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Mrs Claret has only had new cars since the last 26 years .

Hey it works for us Approve

Aye murph 2 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 8:33pm

Whats wrong with PCP ?
I have seen fellas get in an awful hoop on it. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The thing about buying a new car is you have to bring it back to the same garage for every service\maintenance work.

And this is where they'll take you to the cleaners.
No you dont. You can bring it wherever you like, and once its a proper/genuine mechanic/garage that uses genuine parts then your warranty is not affected.

The EU brought in laws in 2003 or 2004 to this effect unless they have since been changed and I didnt notice. Ive only ever used the main dealer for warranty related works. Anything else and I use a mechanic I know.

That's correct. There are reasons you might decide to stick with the main dealer you bought the car from. The obvious one is that if you are getting free servicing as mentioned above. The other aspect is that after the warranty period has expired and in the event of you having an expensive failure, manufacturers tend to be more likely to offer you goodwill in terms of covering the cost or part of the cost of the repair. Some manufacturers are better than others in terms of offering goodwill outside of warranty. Lexus seem to be excellent in this regard with the likes of MB and BMW being quite poor. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 8:42pm

Whats wrong with PCP ?

There are plenty of benefits to PCP once you know what you are getting into. Haven't used it myself but if my driving/purchasing habits change I would certainly consider it. 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Whats wrong with PCP ?
It wouldn’t still exist if it benefitted customers 
Same could be said for any finance really. Im on PCP and it works well for me, lower monthly payments over a 3 year PCP than 5 year HP and with regards to the final payment, I have almost half of it saved anyway, but regardless I can opt for a secured CU loan if needs be, all at lower interest that the HP rate at the time I bought. Basically with HP id have been paying higher interest on the full amount from day 1. Obviously I’m lucky to be in the situation whereby I can save regularly and have the option of a Secured loan from the CU. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 9:32pm
if you need to borrow To but a car I would have thought that it’s hard to beat the credit union car loan rather than pcp.  You don’t need a deposit or a balloon payment. 

Is there any benefits to a pcp setup over a credit union loan. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 9:37pm
The advantage of PCP over a CU loan are the interest rates. 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 9:51pm

if you need to borrow To but a car I would have thought that it’s hard to beat the credit union car loan rather than pcp.  You don’t need a deposit or a balloon payment. 

Most Credit Union loan rates are comparable with the banks these days.  Clearly if you dont have a deposit/trade in then a mainstream loan is the way to go. In my case PCP is suitable as im mnot paying any interest on that portion of the finance. When it becomes due for payment, I have had time to save and so then finance a lesser amount if needs be for a lesser rate than either HP or the mainstream loan due to squirrelling away a few quid in the intervening three years.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Most Credit Union loan rates are comparable with the banks these days.  Clearly if you dont have a deposit/trade in then a mainstream loan is the way to go. In my case PCP is suitable as im mnot paying any interest on that portion of the finance. When it becomes due for payment, I have had time to save and so then finance a lesser amount if needs be for a lesser rate than either HP or the mainstream loan due to squirrelling away a few quid in the intervening three years.

Thumbs Up
AKA pedantic kunt
Fitzinho View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitzinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 10:53am

Originally posted by Fitzinho Fitzinho wrote:

Anybody gone for their 

Karoq or Kodiaq or Kamiq.  

I have a Kodiaq on PCP, went for it due to low APR (0%) and it took our three rear facing child seats (2 x ISO) in the middle row leaving a huge boot for buggies, bikes etc. It's been great so far. Not sure what I'll do when the 3 years is up. Been looking at the electric Skoda but it's 5.9% APR which is disappointing.

Great stuff great to hear. What did the monthly payment work out as and what deposit did they require.  

I would be with McG with regards new cars but if there is financial logic to it I could be convinced. 

It's €370 a month, the deposit was c. 17k if memory serves, we got a 5k for an old Audi A3 which was great also. Not sure these numbers are any use to you as you might decide on a different model than I got, I got a good few bells and whistles put on. Base model you can get for €320 pm I think 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 107108109110111 133>
  Share Topic