You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wetherspoons in Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 39>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 4:02pm
I think that it's a fella from Derry that is CEO/founder of wetherspoons. Useless
Piece of info
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
AKA Sir Basil Butterpeas Esquire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Clonbhoy if you don't mind me asking what kind of pub do or did you work in yourself? Irish one?
It is a food led,English country pub, situated in London.

And yeah, Tim Martin is from smewhere in the 6 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 4:23pm
Would the independent English pubs be struggling due to the chain pubs over there? I was in a couple of nice independent bars in Edinburgh but feck were they expensive for a pint!Even so Id rather drink in a pub with atmosphere regardless of the price.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 4:27pm

Would the independent English pubs be struggling due to the chain pubs over there? I was in a couple of nice independent bars in Edinburgh but feck were they expensive for a pint!Even so Id rather drink in a pub with atmosphere regardless of the price.
we are a brewery owned tenancy. Yeah a lot are struggling, but if pubs cannot decide o their market and clientele base, they always will and always have.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Clonbhoy Clonbhoy wrote:

we are a brewery owned tenancy. Yeah a lot are struggling, but if pubs cannot decide o their market and clientele base, they always will and always have.

The pub you'd work in.What's your clientele demographic.40+ middle class or a mixture between young and old, families etc?
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 4:51pm

The pub you'd work in.What's your clientele demographic.40+ middle class or a mixture between young and old, families etc?
 30 to 70 odd but  wealthy
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 5:44pm
I live in Earlsfield Clonbhoy and there must be at least 5 Youngs pubs within a 10 minute walk. They seem to have south west London wrapped.

Definitely a better standard of pub to wetherspoon but no atmosphere in any of them at night.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Stillhuntinghenry View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

useless at posting links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stillhuntinghenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 5:59pm
We should thank our stars that Yates' isn't coming here. It makes wetherspoons look upmarket
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Stillhuntinghenry Stillhuntinghenry wrote:

Originally posted by UCDFAN UCDFAN wrote:

I have a limited experience with them (3 different pubs,all football trips).I don't trust them.
But I do welcome a change to the Diageo dominated taps in the Republic.

The one in Derry (The Fountain The Diamond) a few times and ....

That one in Derry is not in the fountain, it's in the diamond

Post corrected, Thanks for that Thumbs Up
www.ucdsupporters.ie
Clonbhoy View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clonbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2013 at 1:37am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

I live in Earlsfield Clonbhoy and there must be at least 5 Youngs pubs within a 10 minute walk. They seem to have south west London wrapped.

Definitely a better standard of pub to wetherspoon but no atmosphere in any of them at night.
agreed, Young's have really followed in Martin's fotsteps. Used to work for them, soulless kips. The Sergeant is a great boozer, that is tenanted, not managed though
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2013 at 10:25am

Wetherspoons cheap as chips - was in Liverpool one January and had a January beer sale......pints of Boddingtons 90p and 3 bottles of bud for £2. Very happy to sacrifice "ambience" for prices like these. Also free entertainment having the craic with of the some of the dregs that frequent, both men and women. The key is to get in have your fill and get out before the messing starts. Good spots to start the night off in.

On a serious note, it might force other publicans to reduce their prices. The last time they tried to open here the VFI successfully lobbied the govt to stop it.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2013 at 11:00am

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

agreed, Young's have really followed in Martin's fotsteps. Used to work for them, soulless kips. The Sergeant is a great boozer, that is tenanted, not managed though
Only live 10 minutes walk from there...I've seen a RnB session there one day and thought to myself how feckin odd. If it was in Ireland it would be some sh*te band pumping out Guns n Roses  LOL
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2013 at 2:50pm
Unless Im a student again,Id have atmosphere any day of the week over 90p pints tbh
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2013 at 2:52pm

Unless Im a student again,Id have atmosphere any day of the week over 90p pints tbh

Exactly sure otherwise you can drink at home for feck all.  Saying that nobody wants to be ripped off either.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2013 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Exactly sure otherwise you can drink at home for feck all.  Saying that nobody wants to be ripped off either.  
I would have no problem paying €4 for a pint if it meant I could have it in what we would recognise as a traditional local.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2013 at 5:42pm
Unless a pub is full of complete knackers, you'd enjoy yourself anywhere if you're with your mates. Couldn't give a sh*t about the atmosphere, it's the people you're with that will determine whether you enjoy somewhere or not.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2013 at 5:48pm
Publicans only have themselves to blame (Dublin ones anyway). If they weren't such theiving bastards Wetherspoons mightn't have been as interested. Anytime  I go out I rarely pay less than a fiver for a bottle of Heineken. town or elsewhere.
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Flanno7hi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2013 at 10:19pm
Wetherspoons is f**king sh*te. No atmosphere, sh*te beer but it's cheap.

The problem I have with this is the anglicisation of Ireland continues unabated. It seems like everytime I am home it is more and more English. English shops, English newspapers, English TV channels, People in English football teams gear and the first item on the sports news is invariably about the epl.

I think it is sad. I see it as an erosion of our culturally identity. We as a nation seem to lap up the crap that the English ship over to us.

Wetherspoons make it difficult for independent pubs to survive. A bit of cheaper drink would be nice but is it worth it if it hastens the demise of the uniquely Irish feel of a local Irish pub? 

Edited by Flanno7hi - 20 Sep 2013 at 10:19pm
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 39>
  Share Topic