Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=45716
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 7:04pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Wetherspoons in Ireland
Posted By: c90
Subject: Wetherspoons in Ireland
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 2:48pm
http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/agribusiness-and-food/british-chain-wetherspoon-set-to-open-up-to-30-pubs-in-ireland-1.1527271" rel="nofollow - http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/agribusiness-and-food/british-chain-wetherspoon-set-to-open-up-to-30-pubs-in-ireland-1.1527271

-------------
Maggie Thatcher, Winston Churchill, Lawrence Of Arabia, Elton John! Yiz can all go f**k yerselves

Replies:
Posted By: irishmufc
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 2:53pm
They were pretty good for their prices over in Britain whether it was food or drink.One of the lads who lives in London said how they were rough and complete dives.I never found them that bad tbh.It'll be interesting to see their drink prices

-------------
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 2:57pm
Been to the one in Stanstead a few times, no complaints, a lot of the English lads who live here say they are dirt cheap but can be shady, will create jobs though so Thumbs Up

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 2:59pm
Horrible pubs but rock bottom prices

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 3:04pm
crap pubs but the prices are rock bottom.Wouldn't bother with them too much but can be handy when you arrive in a city usually always beside bus/train stations .
be interesting how their prices compare between Britain and Ireland.

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 3:04pm
Have been in a few of them in England and thought they were grand. Been in the one in Wimbledon a good few times, a few dodgy looking characters in the place and loads of pensioners but the booze and food is dirt cheap.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Posted By: HateHenry
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 3:25pm
Please no..

-------------
Polska Bialo Czerwoni

Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 3:36pm
Been in loads of them in various locations, most recently Cardiff. They do attract the dregs of local society for cheap scoops and even the type who have no problem finishing off someone else's last mouthful. But overall I don't mind them, cheap drink, cheap grub and depending on location are a good option for a few cheap scoops per club. If they make some bars here cop on price wise then it can only be a good thing IMO.

Posted By: Dukla
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 3:40pm
Been to a good few over the years. Decent enough food & very good prices. All we need now is Greggs to come here as well Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Metal Paul
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 4:08pm
I hope their prices will be as cheap as the UK. 

-------------
"There are no chicks with dicks Johnny, just guys with tits."

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by sham157 sham157 wrote:

Been in loads of them in various locations, most recently Cardiff. They do attract the dregs of local society for cheap scoops and even the type who have no problem finishing off someone else's last mouthful. But overall I don't mind them, cheap drink, cheap grub and depending on location are a good option for a few cheap scoops per club. If they make some bars here cop on price wise then it can only be a good thing IMO.

Was just thinking that there. Might give the pubs in Dublin a boot up the hole in regards the price of their drinks.

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Dukla Dukla wrote:

Been to a good few over the years. Decent enough food & very good prices. All we need now is Greggs to come here as well Thumbs Up

and Dunkin Donuts or Krispe Kreme Clap

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 4:51pm
Jesus just what Ireland needs The Mc Donalds of pubs, cant stand them, their express one in Liverpool airport is a depressing kip if you were flying somewhere exotic though hard to beat their prices,

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: elroy45
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 5:00pm
Soulless places, food cheap but rotten, no thanks.

Posted By: Guf10
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 5:01pm
Dirt cheap food aswel. Will do well here

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Posted By: Guf10
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Don't know why either of them Donut places have not opened up here yet, would be good mines, can utilise small spaces aswel.

Greggs sausage rolls

-------------
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Posted By: flow
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by Guf10 Guf10 wrote:

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Don't know why either of them Donut places have not opened up here yet, would be good mines, can utilise small spaces aswel.

Greggs sausage rolls

there was dunkin dohnuts in the square for years!

Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 5:30pm
Please no! feckin souless kips that sell dirt cheap poor quality food.

Will be interesting to see how the likes of Diageo deal with them. They won't want them cutting the prices like they do in England.

Hopefully this is not the start of the english style chain pubs that many breweries own coming to Ireland. If they do it will be the death of the irish local. So few independently owned pubs over here now.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 5:37pm
They are boring dull places but hopefully when they enter they'll force other pubs to drop their prices.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 6:28pm
Social colonisation compete. Well done. 

Roooooooonnneeyyy!!!  (in manc accent obviously) 

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Posted By: drog addict
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 7:06pm
Souless kips. I wish all these English chains would f**k right off. Destroying Irish owned business here for the past ten years. Look at most towns up in the occupied six, destroyed by the likes of asdas, sainsburys and the likes.

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Posted By: Rostrevor Fan
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Souless kips. I wish all these English chains would f**k right off. Destroying Irish owned business here for the past ten years. Look at most towns up in the occupied six, destroyed by the likes of asdas, sainsburys and the likes.

Agree DA everyone should buy Irish lets support our local Lidl and Aldi Wink

-------------

Posted By: IrishPride
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Please no! feckin souless kips that sell dirt cheap poor quality food.

Will be interesting to see how the likes of Diageo deal with them. They won't want them cutting the prices like they do in England.

Hopefully this is not the start of the english style chain pubs that many breweries own coming to Ireland. If they do it will be the death of the irish local. So few independently owned pubs over here now.
This

Drink Prices are only a partial consideration when I decide which pub I go to. Mostly its the atmosphere of the public house and the friendlyness of the other punters and bar staff.

To see the old style traditional Irish pubs die out would be a crying shame...

-------------
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 7:56pm

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 8:34pm
Was in a few of these during the time of the London games. Fairly artificial and little or no atmosphere. Might get people going in there early in the night for a few filler drinks. I'd imagine all the tourists would still want the old time pub vibe when they come to Dublin.

Posted By: bhob
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 8:38pm
Awful kips with awful food. All they do is deep fry mccains food and put it on a plate

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 8:49pm
My cousin's friend worked in one for a while and he reckons the Sunday roasts are all premade on polystyrene plates and but in a microwave for a few minutes before being transferred to a plate.must be fookin rotten .they are actually dear when you consider they are just microwave dinners that are being served.

Posted By: brissy
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 8:50pm
Been in rakes of them in u.k all fine apart from birmghan full of cracks heads had one drink and legged it.They would be great over here if ran proper,pubs are to expensive.

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 8:52pm
Absolute dumps! Generally full of the local skanks, drug users, etc.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 8:52pm
Down with personal choice! no to wheterspoons!

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Down with personal choice! no to wheterspoons!

wanna drink in weatherspoons ? travel to the UK

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 9:40pm
They have 18 of them in Watford and one in Luton , hey says it all really Dead

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: Baldrick
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 9:42pm
NO reason they cannot open here.  Why should the public licence alochol trade be restricted from branding like nearly every other private trade out there. I will not go to them and I have no interest in them but I do not want to live in a world where things I do not like get banned.  

In addition it may mean people who like these pubs do not go into the pubs I like.  Win win.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

NO reason they cannot open here.  Why should the public licence alochol trade be restricted from branding like nearly every other private trade out there. I will not go to them and I have no interest in them but I do not want to live in a world where things I do not like get banned.  

In addition it may mean people who like these pubs do not go into the pubs I like.  Win win.
Could also mean that pubs you like are forced to close down as they are unable to compete with these 'superpubs'.

Two sides to every coin unfortunately Cry 

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Could also mean that pubs you like are forced to close down as they are unable to compete with these 'superpubs'.

Two sides to every coin unfortunately Cry 
So what. Competition is good. Publicans milked it for years.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 9:54pm
The only issue I  would have is that if they get into below cost selling which I think should be made illegal, but this goes on at the moment anyway. 

Its very hard to for a government to protect unprofitable business by preventing other business from opening.  Its a dangerous road if the government go down that way and in the end it does not work as it encourages inefficiencies.

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Posted By: packiesglove
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 12:56am
Good value beer ? Where is the problem? Pubs closing left right and centre in U.K. but not due to any pub chains bucking the trend, its the greedy governmeng and breweries killing pubs

Hope ye enjoy yer dear booze, £2.15 in a spoons pub in cornwall last week, pints of strongbow or carlsberg !

-------------
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....

Posted By: Landon Donovan
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 9:14am
Fock off with your "atmosphere" crack, who the fock goes to a pub for the atmosphere? I go to the boozer with my mates for a laugh with each other and a few beer, then fock off home. As long as there are no skangers in the place I'm a happy camper. The booze wont be cheap enough in Ireland like it is in the uk.

And f**k the Vintners, they refuse to listen to their customers and tell it's our fault that pubs are closing. They are like victimised fans of LOI clubs that do not realise that it is the product that is the problem, not the stay away customers.

I'll be very happy to walk into Wetherspoons for my €3 pints.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 9:41am
RIP Irish culture.

Slowly being eroded over the past few decades by external influences like US/UK tv, Internet, woeful international music, multinational chains and now the grim reaper of what all know as the Irish local.

Time to back the Gaelic League before it's too late.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: jinky
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 9:42am
A skanger who won't drink with his fellow skangers

-------------
tir gan teanga ,tir gan anam

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 9:47am
Originally posted by jinky jinky wrote:

A skanger who won't drink with his fellow skangers

Are you calling me a skanger? That's personal abuse in my book. I think you may have to pack the sombrero for your holiday

Posted By: Wheelo
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 10:16am
What's the problem?

If ye don't like them, don't go into them.

I have no time for the vast majority of publicans over here. D***heads the lot of them. Ripping us off for years, 20 quid into your local on New years, f*** right off. Trying to make offys charge more for cans, f*** right off. Overpriced pints, f*** right off.

Have to be honest, I always hit a wetherspoons when I'm in England with the lads. Always seem to be in a decent location, cheap pints, food ok, good laugh.

Have no sympathy for publicans over here, they deserve all they get. Though obviously would feel sorry for the ordinary workers

-------------
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster

Posted By: Barry
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 10:34am
Decent prices (non airport) grub in Weatherspoons

Posted By: elroy45
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 11:33am
A good chunk of the price of a pint here is taxes.

Posted By: tonyjaa
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 11:56am
if The Sun 'newspaper' was a pub it would be Wetherspoons

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 11:58am
Originally posted by tonyjaa tonyjaa wrote:

If Danny Dyer was a pub it would be wetherspoons.

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 12:07pm

What if Irishmufc was a pub?

-------------

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 12:16pm
Pros
Cheap drink
The cheap prices will force competitors to reduce their prices
Cheap food - prob horrible but you get what you pay for
All the local skanggers will be here and not in your local

Cons
Nasty establishments IMO
Likely some family owned pubs will have to close
The rise of the chain pubs would stain the Irish pub culture

Would I like one in Dundalk - NO!!

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by ZinedineKibane ZinedineKibane wrote:

Would I like to drink in Dundalk - NO!!

something whole forum can agree onClap

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 12:31pm
Was in the one in Enniskillen, a few in London and a couple in Manchester.They were sound but I don't like pubs where you can't sit at the bar.There's no cosyness to them with tables out in open spaces.No real snugs or partitioned booths and Id never leave my local for one of them no matter how cheap the drink is.My local is an auld fellas pub with a shop in the front.We've the best pubs in the world for craic, atmosphere and the humour so id hate to see that go.It'll be interesting to see how it develops if they come over

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Was in the one in Enniskillen, a few in London and a couple in Manchester.They were sound but I don't like pubs where you can't sit at the bar.There's no cosyness to them with tables out in open spaces.No real snugs or partitioned booths and Id never leave my local for one of them no matter how cheap the drink is.My local is an auld fellas pub with a shop in the front.We've the best pubs in the world for craic, atmosphere and the humour so id hate to see that go.It'll be interesting to see how it develops if they come over

Whats your local in westport?

Posted By: fochie
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 12:56pm
If Ryanair was a pub..

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 1:01pm

What if Irishmufc was a pub?

The Jockey

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 1:05pm
Aldi don't do pubs but if they did they would probably be a wetherspoons.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 1:25pm
I can't believe people are worried about the Vinters, a small bit of popularity and they sky rocket their prices, they are the most greediest bunch out there. Feck them.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

I can't believe people are worried about the Vinters, a small bit of popularity and they sky rocket their prices, they are the most greediest bunch out there. Feck them.

So true.

6+ Euro for a bottle of Miller in some pubs and you can get them for under 70 cents in the supermarket.

How they justify these sort of prices I don't know.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

So true.

6+ Euro for a bottle of Miller in some pubs and you can get them for under 70 cents in the supermarket.

How they justify these sort of prices I don't know.

Neither are the true reflection either. 70 cent is a joke also.   Below cost selling is not the answer either. ITs cheaper for some publicans to pick up their drink in supermarkets than it is from their supplier.   I do not blame all of the supermarkets for this as many of them do not want to enter this price war but have had to, otherwise nobody would shop there.  But I do think they should do away with below cost  selling for a product such as alcohol. 

However as long as Wetherspoons do not try to introduce below cost selling in the pub industry in order to burn everybody out of the market I have no problem with them.  I probably will not go there but that does not mean they should not be allowed open.  Freedom of choice. 

-------------
AKA pedantic kunt

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Johnny Morans (right across the road from Matt Molloys).Its a good horseracing pub if you're into that as well.€3.75 for a Guinness (class Guinness),€1 for Bacon Fries Clap.Id say you were probably in it Rossie were ya?

-------------

Posted By: Hoosay
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 2:04pm
Wetherspoons will drive good pubs out of business. They sell beer at less than what other pubs can buy it.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 2:04pm

Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Johnny Morans (right across the road from Matt Molloys).Its a good horseracing pub if you're into that as well.€3.75 for a Guinness (class Guinness),€1 for Bacon Fries Clap.Id say you were probably in it Rossie were ya?

Yeah have been it in plenty of times,its good for the racing alright and bookies beside it,do go to the other Moran's as well.
Will be down there on a stag in 2 weeks time ,will drop in with my crew for a few scoops and pints.We won't trash it till Sunday Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 2:45pm
Lads, how do yiz all reckon this will be "the end of the Irish local"? Where I work we do €3 pints during football matches, €3 Guinness between 6pm and 11pm on a Sunday, we have Tuborg permanently at €3 a pint and a 10% discount for the regulars. There is also hot finger food thrown out weekend evenings and during midweek Champions League games. Why would the regulars go to Wetherspoons when they can get all this in their local??  

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Metal Paul Metal Paul wrote:

Lads, how do yiz all reckon this will be "the end of the Irish local"? Where I work we do €3 pints during football matches, €3 Guinness between 6pm and 11pm on a Sunday, we have Tuborg permanently at €3 a pint and a 10% discount for the regulars. There is also hot finger food thrown out weekend evenings and during midweek Champions League games. Why would the regulars go to Wetherspoons when they can get all this in their local??  

It wont be the end of the local,not a chance.
It will most likely effect some pubs in the area's where they open put I doubt the majority of towns/villages will see any difference.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 2:57pm
Exactly dude. The way some of them are going on you'd swear the entire country was going to be overrun with these pubs. Wacko A bit of competition for the greedy publicans (especially in Dublin) who think they can charge what they want for drink is needed. Charging €6 and over for a pint of Guinness (the cheapest pint in most pubs) is disgraceful. 

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

What's the problem?

I have no time for the vast majority of publicans over here. D***heads the lot of them. Ripping us off for years, 20 quid into your local on New years, f*** right off. Trying to make offys charge more for cans, f*** right off. Overpriced pints, f*** right off.

Have no sympathy for publicans over here, they deserve all they get. Though obviously would feel sorry for the ordinary workers

ClapClapClapClapClapClap 

-------------

Posted By: colmoc
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 4:02pm

Lads, how do yiz all reckon this will be "the end of the Irish local"? Where I work we do €3 pints during football matches, €3 Guinness between 6pm and 11pm on a Sunday, we have Tuborg permanently at €3 a pint and a 10% discount for the regulars. There is also <span style="line-height: 1.4;">hot finger food thrown out weekend evenings and during midweek Champions League games. Why would the regulars go to Wetherspoons when they can get all this in their local??  </span>
the lad who owns my local could do with reading this

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 4:06pm
Well show it to him then!  

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 4:10pm

Well show it to him then!  
if he throws out fingerfood on the very rare rare occasion he does be whingin about the price/effort it took. He's unbelievable.
Great little pub with good booze though hence why it does well

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 4:19pm
a blow in cavan man colm?

I don't like it...this shower is bad news.

A lot of lads giving out about being ripped off by piblicans are in Dublin. My local is similar to IrishMufc as it's €4 a pint of Guinness in my local but these coonts will spread like Japanese knot weed and will choke the life out of the irish local.

-------------

Posted By: jinky
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 4:28pm
If weatherspoons was a football league it would be the EPL... 'souless with dodgy customers'

-------------
tir gan teanga ,tir gan anam

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 4:32pm

funny enough he is

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 5:23pm

A lot of lads giving out about being ripped off by piblicans are in Dublin. My local is similar to IrishMufc as it's €4 a pint of Guinness in my local but these coonts will spread like Japanese knot weed and will choke the life out of the irish local.
No it f*cking won't!! Angry It will give the publicans a kick up the arse and they might actually consider dropping their prices for a change. Plus it'll only affect the likes of Dublin and Cork so don't worry, the majority of towns and villages will be safe from their evil clutches. Wacko 

-------------

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 5:31pm

Lads, how do yiz all reckon this will be "the end of the Irish local"? Where I work we do €3 pints during football matches, €3 Guinness between 6pm and 11pm on a Sunday, we have Tuborg permanently at €3 a pint and a 10% discount for the regulars. There is also <span style="line-height: 1.4;">hot finger food thrown out weekend evenings and during midweek Champions League games. Why would the regulars go to Wetherspoons when they can get all this in their local??  </span>

Jaysus sounds great! Might have to drop in sometime

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 5:39pm

No it f*cking won't!! Angry It will give the publicans a kick up the arse and they might actually consider dropping their prices for a change. Plus it'll only affect the likes of Dublin and Cork so don't worry, the majority of towns and villages will be safe from their evil clutches. Wacko 

Won't get a barman like you either Paul in Weatherspoon's

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by The Q Man The Q Man wrote:

No better reason then to Welcome Wetherspoon's with open arms  Handshake MPWink

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 6:35pm
If a pint of Guinness is say €4 a pint how much of that is tax?

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 6:58pm

If a pint of Guinness is say €4 a pint how much of that is tax?

Cmy2k As I work voluntary in my local GAA club a beer keg costs about 160 stg to buy inc vat 80 Pints normally in a keg so technically it costs £2 a pint before you make a cent - I would reckon the tax on it would be about 40 to 60 % so 90p to £120 for every drink you take goes to the state I don't know if it is the same down south but not a lot of profit if you have to pay staff

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 7:08pm
Cheers RF...very interesting. Can't see publicans making too much on a €4 pint when the cost of the beer, tax and overheads are calculated. I reckon people's ire should be directed at the government who take such a huge % of the customers money when paying for a pint.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 7:12pm

Cheers RF...very interesting. Can't see publicans making too much on a €4 pint when the cost of the beer, tax and overheads are calculated. I reckon people's ire should be directed at the government who take such a huge % of the customers money when paying for a pint.

I reckon we should all quit drink and smokes for a while to see the governments reaction - drinkers, smokers and motorists are easy  targets Embarrassed  

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 7:14pm
I did for 4 months earlier this year. Going back off it until Cologne. I don't smoke and sold the car.

Who else is joining me?

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 7:30pm

I did for 4 months earlier this year. Going back off it until Cologne. I don't smoke and sold the car.

Who else is joining me?

Me for one drink wise it might not be so easy smoke wise but will give it a go

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 7:38pm
I would love to know exactly were they plan to set up shop. Would they actually make any money by having a bar in the city center with the rental rates there and selling cheap beer. I really could not see it doing well in my opinion. Didn't the one in Derry close down. The dregs of the town drink there, horrible dump.

-------------
Chips don't bounce

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 7:50pm
Drog was in the one in Belfast last year horrible place with no atmosphere bit like the new Aviva stadium but with cheaper prices  

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 8:17pm

Originally posted by Rostrevor Fan Rostrevor Fan wrote:

A lot of lads giving out about being ripped off by piblicans are in Dublin. My local is similar to IrishMufc as it's €4 a pint of Guinness in my local but these coonts will spread like Japanese knot weed and will choke the life out of the irish local.
No it f*cking won't!! Angry It will give the publicans a kick up the arse and they might actually consider dropping their prices for a change. Plus it'll only affect the likes of Dublin and Cork so don't worry, the majority of towns and villages will be safe from their evil clutches. Wacko 

No better reason then to Welcome Wetherspoon's with open arms  Handshake MPWink

-------------

Posted By: Stillhuntinghenry
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 8:18pm

I would love to know exactly were they plan to set up shop. Would they actually make any money by having a bar in the city center with the rental rates there and selling cheap beer. I really could not see it doing well in my opinion. Didn't the one in Derry close down. The dregs of the town drink there, horrible dump.

No we still have 2 up here, I wouldn't frequent them at all, dirty, no atmosphere and full of scroats.

Posted By: Trapped
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 9:52pm
Great news. Each one is different obviously but in general they are quality boozers. Not somewhere you'd go for special occasions but they don't claim to be that type of place. It is what it is - cheap drink and food in a pub. Often been on the lash over there on a Monday drinking pints of Carlsberg in the Monday club for something like £1.30. They used to do beer burger specials as well for less than a fiver - including chips, a quarter pounder and a pint. You'd pay €15 anywhere in central Dublin for that. They should open one in Temple Bar and people will see how much they're being ripped off.

-------------
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 9:59pm
Can't imagine many people would head out to Blackrock just to go drinking there?

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 10:18pm

Can't imagine many people would head out to Blackrock just to go drinking there?

Why would that matter? It is a very well populated area. Wetherspoons will eat up the clientele of the wicked wolf and a couple of the other local boozers. Plus it is on a decent bus route from Cherrywood to the city centre.

The closest town (Dun Laoghaire) is a very depressing place to drink, people may migrate 10 mins up the road to Blackrock.

The boozers in my area (Ballybrack, Cabinteely, Killiney) have started to play live music at nights which is chasing away a lot of customers. If Wetherspoons does not play live music on a Saturday night, I would consider drinking there. Its only 20 mins on the bus. The walking time from my old regular boozer was 40 mins.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 10:31pm
Shame will take wicked wolf clients but thats exactly what it'll do, Eugene the lad in charge there is a very sound skin

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 10:57pm
The best place for competition is Thurles, pubs doing drinks for €2:50, one as low as €1:50.

-------------

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 11:21pm
Seen one of these pubs in Gatwick, didn't realize that they had a reputation for crap food and crap drink, and dodgy people.Will know in future about going on the lash in this place if ever in the UK.

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 11:49pm
Can't really judge them by the airport ones. Very different clientele obviously 

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Posted By: the_walls
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

Why would that matter? It is a very well populated area. Wetherspoons will eat up the clientele of the wicked wolf and a couple of the other local boozers. Plus it is on a decent bus route from Cherrywood to the city centre.

The closest town (Dun Laoghaire) is a very depressing place to drink, people may migrate 10 mins up the road to Blackrock.

The boozers in my area (Ballybrack, Cabinteely, Killiney) have started to play live music at nights which is chasing away a lot of customers. If Wetherspoons does not play live music on a Saturday night, I would consider drinking there. Its only 20 mins on the bus. The walking time from my old regular boozer was 40 mins.

Live music drives people away? Most pubs I know that do well have live music every weekend. I love a bit of music in the pub myself

Posted By: erimus
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 9:39am
Love their brekkie.cheap booze also.

All i can say,is welcome to Ireland

-------------
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016

Posted By: UCDFAN
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 6:59pm
I have a limited experience with them (3 different pubs,all football trips).I don't trust them.
But I do welcome a change to the Diageo dominated taps in the Republic.

The one in Derry (The Fountain, The Diamond) a few times and Lisburn (Town centre) both were fine, I know  I asked for local Hilden Brewery brews in Lisburn and I think they stocked them.

The one in Hereford town centre was hilarious, very busy with families at 10:30am Sunday morning. Went in for breakfast, sat at a table waiting for service. Saw a staff member drop a fork on the floor, pick it up and put in on the plate of food again and walked on.  After a few minutes asked about food and told I have to order at the bar.  The bar told me food would be about an hour.  I went left but I had a good time there anyway.

Their heavy furniture may discourage older generation from visiting, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to stop kids showing up.

after edit:thanks to Stillhuntinghenry

-------------
www.ucdsupporters.ie

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Live music drives people away? Most pubs I know that do well have live music every weekend. I love a bit of music in the pub myself

The smoking areas do be jammers with people trying to escape the live music. I go to the pub to meet friends and have a chat not listen to Hotel California covers. 

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 9:21pm
Hate live music in my local as well. I go to the local to talk to my mates. Can't hear a fooking thing with some 60 year old singing brown eyed girl

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 9:46pm
Dont like English culture taking over here again. Its ok but we want to have our own identity instead of having their shops, pubs, etc... Wetherspoons is a soulless sh*thole.

Saw a load of Irish spurs fans on a flight home from Stansted last saturday all wearing their spurs jerseys and it just seems weird to me.  Obviously loads of Irish support English teams and most people dont see it as weird but seeing middle aged men wearing jerseys and acting all 'English' just makes me cringe a little.  Why do we not take pride in ourselves and our league?

We got back our independence but many of us seem to want to be British. 

-------------

Posted By: JohnnyD87
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 9:49pm
How much a whiskey and coke in Dublin now?

Posted By: Zinedine Kilbane 110
Date Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Dont like English culture taking over here again. Its ok but we want to have our own identity instead of having their shops, pubs, etc... Wetherspoons is a soulless sh*thole.

Saw a load of Irish spurs fans on a flight home from Stansted last saturday all wearing their spurs jerseys and it just seems weird to me.  Obviously loads of Irish support English teams and most people dont see it as weird but seeing middle aged men wearing jerseys and acting all 'English' just makes me cringe a little.  Why do we not take pride in ourselves and our league?

We got back our independence but many of us seem to want to be British. 

What the fock where you doing in Stansted Trap Junior? I hope you didn't take back any of that English culture with you!!

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 10:12pm
Shut up or I'll smash your back doors in you Oirish Kant!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net