You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wetherspoons in Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 39>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

There are far worse pub chains in England! Greene King managed houses are an abomination, for example! sh*t beer, sh*t food, rude staff and expensive; why would anyone choose that over a Wetherspoons? 
Some cracking buildings too! I only occasionally use them now, but when I was going through harder tones I loved the one locally. I could get pissed on decent beer for f**k all and nobody judged or bothered you for sitting depressed in the corner! In fact, seeing poor ****s who had more to be depressed about often takes the edge off!
Greene King are bit expensive alright! What’s the craic with Jacket potatoes in Cambridge impossible to get so they are! Do you ever go to the Stonehouse carvery and pizza pubs? 
Really? Seems to be a lot of places do then. I can never understand the attraction, an incredibly boring foodstuff! 
I can’t say I’m much of a lover of carvery either. I can’t say I have ever heard of Stonehouse though.
Can never get one and I’d be there a bit during the summer! The Stonehouse are the same chain as Toby Carvery they’re all over the UK the closest ones to Cambridge would be in Hitchin or Luton
Luton is an hour away and I have been in Hitchin once; how far do you think I’m willing to travel for over cooked meat and bisto?
LOL
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 8:45pm

Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I didn't realise there was other pub chains in England bar the o'neils Irish bars. 

A shed load of chains over here. In this town alone you have:

Greene King
Wetherspoons
All Bar One
Slug and Lettuce
Giraffe
Las Iguanas
Walkabout
O'Neills
Popworld
Yates
Revolution
The Botanist
Revolucion de Cuba
Be at One
Brewdog

And that's just the ones that are all named the same. You have other chains who, like Wetherspoons, own a lot of pubs and name them differently. 

Wow. I've heard of virtually none of them. 

Slug and lettuce, what a name LOLLOL
Not all of them are pubs. Slug and Lettuce are an abomination.

It has nothing on The Swan And Paedo. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 9:50pm

There are far worse pub chains in England! Greene King managed houses are an abomination, for example! sh*t beer, sh*t food, rude staff and expensive; why would anyone choose that over a Wetherspoons? 
Some cracking buildings too! I only occasionally use them now, but when I was going through harder tones I loved the one locally. I could get pissed on decent beer for f**k all and nobody judged or bothered you for sitting depressed in the corner! In fact, seeing poor ****s who had more to be depressed about often takes the edge off!
Greene King are bit expensive alright! What’s the craic with Jacket potatoes in Cambridge impossible to get so they are! Do you ever go to the Stonehouse carvery and pizza pubs? 
Really? Seems to be a lot of places do then. I can never understand the attraction, an incredibly boring foodstuff! 
I can’t say I’m much of a lover of carvery either. I can’t say I have ever heard of Stonehouse though.
Can never get one and I’d be there a bit during the summer! The Stonehouse are the same chain as Toby Carvery they’re all over the UK the closest ones to Cambridge would be in Hitchin or Luton
Luton is an hour away and I have been in Hitchin once; how far do you think I’m willing to travel for over cooked meat and bisto?
I’d say if you tried it the once you’d definitely go back maybe once a month great food and great value

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 11 Nov 2019 at 9:50pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 9:58pm

I’d say if you tried it the once you’d definitely go back maybe once a month great food and great value
I’d say not! I had a Toby once and it was enough. As I say, carvery isn’t really for me. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 10:02pm
Toby Carvery.  I always used to have to stay in Innkeepers Lodges which were always attached to the Toby.  The hotel was actually a nice chain. Homely.  The carvery was the usual soulless food for soulless people.

England is a country in moral decline. They eat poison food from poison supermarkets.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 10:29pm
id rather do a line of my granny's ashes than drink in a spoons.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Toby Carvery.  I always used to have to stay in Innkeepers Lodges which were always attached to the Toby.  The hotel was actually a nice chain. Homely.  The carvery was the usual soulless food for soulless people.

England is a country in moral decline. They eat poison food from poison supermarkets.
It’s like anywhere, there is good and bad. Toby is just a chain version of all the awful carvery places in Ireland. Crumbling small town hotels with inedible food. 
Too many chains in England, but that’s the result of a global economy that discourages small and independent businesses and larger urban population centres.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

How are the Wetherspoons pubs doing in Ireland?

Many off here use them?

Sitting on a big site here in Waterford that they bought about 2 years ago, no intention of doing anything with it until next year. It will do well when it opens, whenever that will be, its right in city centre, in an area there are less than half the pubs there were 10 years ago. 

Site bought December 2014, still sitting on it. Put in planning permission a month ago, now after revising/amending it, so that's another delay. They said in their latest submission that work will start on it in November 2020, pending approval of amendments. 6 years. 

Welcome to the pace of economic 'recovery' outside Dublin. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 11:05pm
Whereabouts in the city is it Minty?
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

Whereabouts in the city is it Minty?

Old TSB bank in Arundel Square, opposite City Sq shopping centre, or opposite where Sullys snooker club entrance used to be years ago to be more precise about it.  They also bought the building backing on to it on the Broad St/John Roberts square side, that used be a clothes retailer. Basically they will have an entrance on each of the 2 busiest shopping streets. 

Will do well when it opens, there must be about 6 pubs closed in that area in the last 10 years, there's nearly no competition around there only the Gingerman (Lords years ago) and the latest version of the City Arms (third version, this one used be Flash's/Fitzgeralds before that), which is for sale. 

Egans, T&H's, Temple Bar (as was when closed, though it had many names over the years) , Old Stand, 2nd version of City Arms, Belfry hotel all gone from that area in last 10 years or so. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 11:17pm
The site for the Spoons in Galway has been bought long ago but sitting idle with work not even started on it yet which I did think was unusual.  I have a feeling it might end up be like Waterford after hreading that post.  Was supposed to open in January. Can't see it now.

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 11:22pm

The site for the Spoons in Galway has been bought long ago but sitting idle with work not even started on it yet which I did think was unusual.  I have a feeling it might end up be like Waterford after hreading that post.  Was supposed to open in January. Can't see it now.

Nah, Galway has more footfall, a bigger student population and more tourists than Waterford, they'll belt on with that one without too much delay. Though obviously they'll have plenty more competition in Galway too. Around here, they bought at a low price in a distressed auction type thing, and could afford to sit on it until such a time as they deemed things were getting better economically. 

The local council were starting to put pressure on them here with whatever derelict building laws they have, I'd nearly think that is what pushed them in this case rather than them deeming there to be a significant improvement in the local economy. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2019 at 11:27pm

Nah, Galway has more footfall, a bigger student population and more tourists than Waterford, they'll belt on with that one without too much delay. Though obviously they'll have plenty more competition in Galway too. Around here, they bought at a low price in a distressed auction type thing, and could afford to sit on it until such a time as they deemed things were getting better economically. 

The local council were starting to put pressure on them here with whatever derelict building laws they have, I'd nearly think that is what pushed them in this case rather than them deeming there to be a significant improvement in the local economy. 

Would rather it be used than derelict all the same.  I presumed once it was bought the builders would be in and get it up and running in a few weeks but nothing has been done for the last few months. 

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/jd-wetherspoon-buys-carbon-nightclub-in-galway-city-1.3958390

the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 1:26pm

Would rather it be used than derelict all the same.  I presumed once it was bought the builders would be in and get it up and running in a few weeks but nothing has been done for the last few months. 

Is that the place that used to be the GPO?
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 2:55pm

This thread has served the purpose of identifying the YBIG tight kunts. 
El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2019 at 2:59pm

Is that the place that used to be the GPO?

It is indeed. Has been called Carbon for the last few years.

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 12:46pm
Have they started work on the Camden Street, Dublin site? 

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Have they started work on the Camden Street, Dublin site? 

yes it’s well under way. Will be open in the new year
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 39>
  Share Topic