You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Next Manager - press conference Saturday

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 223224225226>
Author
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okey dokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Originally posted by Okey dokey Okey dokey wrote:

Maybe we need to take a chance on some young hungry man. I would love to get a guy like Bilic.

What like the same Bilic who West Ham appointed only last week? LOL

I know he isn't available just saying would of loved that guy.
Sponsored Links

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I would love to see a left field appointment from the continent. Some hidden gem or someone who wants a semi retirement job. If this is not possible Mick McCarthy is the best candidate from Britain, or possibly Neil Lennon. I think both would do a decent job. However we need to move away from the british style. But that would be a major long term project which I doubt will ever happen here for a variety of reasons.

1. The FAI and schoolboy leagues are short sighted and have an Irish 'cut corners' approach that will take generations to rid ourselves of if it indeed ever happens at all.

2. We may have to endure a decade or maybe 15 years of potentially being absolutely rubbish in Senior football implementing a new philosophy and new way of playing. But again I dont think the IRish are willing to pay that price so we will continue as we are.

3. Irish kids are too well off. No one kicks a ball on the streets for hours anymore. They are too busy getting Playstations and laptops. Too much distractions. Even kids who do play dont have the hunger to make it and practice all day.

4. The game is mismanaged and underfunded here. We need to make the LOI a better standard league where it becomes a feeder system for talent. The LOI teams also needs to implement a totally new way of playing. This will never happen.

To sum up:  Irish people want quick fixes, scapegoats, would rather cut corners than do it right.  We refuse to think long term and its a me me me culture.

A small silly example is this. My neighbour was learning to be a wrought iron worker many years ago at FAS. He had a German instructor.  One day my neighbour was making some gate or something and he cut a corner. It didnt really make much of a difference to the integrity of the gate and no one would notice. Then the German instructor came over to inspect the work and noticed that a small corner had been cut. He noticed that he had not followed the procedure to the letter and was giving out. My neighbour said ''ah sure nobody would notice that.''.  The German replied ''you are cheating the honour of workmanship.''

My neighbour told me in retrospect the german was dead right.   The German worker wont pull a fast one while the Irish look for every opportunity to do it. 

This mindset is why we will never fix football here.

For the monies we are paying MON/RK we should of been aiming higher than MON/RK for an international manager
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 8:11pm
Truthfully though when you have a squad not playing with confidence and regularly making mistakes, you need a veteran head who can inspire.

The strict management approach just doesn't work nowadays and Martin O'Neill couldn't motivate a handjob. Trap wouldn't have worked either he has much charisma as a dead cat.

Guus Hiddink is leaving the Dutch National side next year, although he's done quite a poor job compared to LVG he's the veteran head I was referring to and as Newryprep said he's the type of Manager we should be aiming for on our budget. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

I would love to see a left field appointment from the continent. Some hidden gem or someone who wants a semi retirement job. If this is not possible Mick McCarthy is the best candidate from Britain, or possibly Neil Lennon. I think both would do a decent job. However we need to move away from the british style. But that would be a major long term project which I doubt will ever happen here for a variety of reasons.

1. The FAI and schoolboy leagues are short sighted and have an Irish 'cut corners' approach that will take generations to rid ourselves of if it indeed ever happens at all.

2. We may have to endure a decade or maybe 15 years of potentially being absolutely rubbish in Senior football implementing a new philosophy and new way of playing. But again I dont think the IRish are willing to pay that price so we will continue as we are.

3. Irish kids are too well off. No one kicks a ball on the streets for hours anymore. They are too busy getting Playstations and laptops. Too much distractions. Even kids who do play dont have the hunger to make it and practice all day.

4. The game is mismanaged and underfunded here. We need to make the LOI a better standard league where it becomes a feeder system for talent. The LOI teams also needs to implement a totally new way of playing. This will never happen.

To sum up:  Irish people want quick fixes, scapegoats, would rather cut corners than do it right.  We refuse to think long term and its a me me me culture.

A small silly example is this. My neighbour was learning to be a wrought iron worker many years ago at FAS. He had a German instructor.  One day my neighbour was making some gate or something and he cut a corner. It didnt really make much of a difference to the integrity of the gate and no one would notice. Then the German instructor came over to inspect the work and noticed that a small corner had been cut. He noticed that he had not followed the procedure to the letter and was giving out. My neighbour said ''ah sure nobody would notice that.''.  The German replied ''you are cheating the honour of workmanship.''

My neighbour told me in retrospect the german was dead right.   The German worker wont pull a fast one while the Irish look for every opportunity to do it. 

For the monies we are paying MON/RK we should of been aiming higher than MON/RK for an international manager

I agree as I think a few may have noticed I wasnt in favour of his appointmentLOL

I think it was playing to the barstooler appointing him and Keane and showed no ambition or imagination.
I mean after the Euros it was clear as day that Ireland needed technically better players, a better way of playing and then we appoint O'NEill who is the anthisesis of a new method.

I am in favour of a contintental but if it has to be a quick fix as usual then Mick McCarthy would be my choice as he has showed in the past that his team can beat better sides and play good football.  Then again the fear is that second time around it wont be the same. No Robbie, no Roy, no Duffer...
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 8:24pm

Wouldnt sack MON for Mick but you're dead on with the rest.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 8:29pm
Dont really know woul we be better off getting rid of him or giving him another 2 years. After the mess Trap left us in it was going to take a while to change things around. Bit you would have thought that 8 friendly games before the 1st qualfier would have been long enough to do that..

I think he will be kept on as it was a JD appointment but I definitely think they should at least assess the alternatives in the next few months before deciding
Irish Duke View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 8:31pm
It was painfully clear at Euro2012 that our players lack the required basic skills and the football brain. Trap was a dinasaur and had to go as he was clearly not up to the job anymore but to bring in O'Neill who football philosophy is still at Leicster City almost 20 years ago and was sacked at Sunderland because his football was outdated and regressive and bringing in Roy Keane who was a disaster with not one tactical brain cell in his head and is a comic figure in the media is f**king backward in anybodys book. The results of this stupid appointment are plain to see. They can't even motivate the team which is supposed to be their strogpoints ffs.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 9:06pm
Good post Trap Junior and totally correct.

In our club Id noticed a severe slip in standards over the past few years.
Id been concentrating on the senior side as Id brought them up from u8s.

I made a conscience decision to focus on the Academy and set out a five year plan, not a quick fix.
Any teams over the age of 12/13 were basically a lost cause, sadly.

Three years into the plan the results are remarkable.
Despite pressure within the club I refused to enter a team in u8s last year, keeping them back for quality coaching.
The kids are not only very technical but are encouraged to use their brains.
I do not make decisions for them.

Irish kids are every bit as techinical as any kid in the World up to the age of say 14.
Its what happens after that is the problem.

Ive also brought a tactical coach into the club to help the over 12s as I cant do everything.
Its amazing how many managers are against it.
Ive sacked one already and 2 more will follow if they dont tow the line.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Good post Trap Junior and totally correct.

In our club Id noticed a severe slip in standards over the past few years.
Id been concentrating on the senior side as Id brought them up from u8s.

I made a conscience decision to focus on the Academy and set out a five year plan, not a quick fix.
Any teams over the age of 12/13 were basically a lost cause, sadly.

Three years into the plan the results are remarkable.
Despite pressure within the club I refused to enter a team in u8s last year, keeping them back for quality coaching.
The kids are not only very technical but are encouraged to use their brains.
I do not make decisions for them.

Irish kids are every bit as techinical as any kid in the World up to the age of say 14.
Its what happens after that is the problem.

Ive also brought a tactical coach into the club to help the over 12s as I cant do everything.
Its amazing how many managers are against it.
Ive sacked one already and 2 more will follow if they dont tow the line.

fair play Gary. There are progressive coaches out there. Its just not across the board and they seem to have to constantly justify what they are doing and come under fire from those around them.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 9:16pm
If O'Neill goes then the only man for the job is Mick McCarthy. An expert at getting the most from his squad.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Irish Duke View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 9:26pm
I like Mick McCarthy and have great respect for him as an Irish manager but I think it may not work the second time around. I think we have to aim higher for a manager with modern skills to get the best out of our players. We have the likes of Iceland & co punching above their weight but they are more tactically astute as well,we are 20 years behind. Traps best years were behind him and his tactics were as well and now we have the same with O'Neill.  But if we cannot get a top manager then Mick would be the man.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 3:40pm
Hiddink about to resign as Dutch boss. Wouldn't say no to him (if MON does go after this campaign) even if the Dutch haven't exactly been firing on all cylinders under him.

Edited by Denis Irwin - 29 Jun 2015 at 3:41pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 5:03pm
WOULD LOVE GUUS for the irish fold
KILCRUISE View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KILCRUISE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 6:37pm
I say hold the daggers on mon campaign has a bit to go
may the road rise to meet you but make sure it does not slap you in the face
fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by KILCRUISE KILCRUISE wrote:

+1,
It aint over till its over.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by KILCRUISE KILCRUISE wrote:

+1

I thought Brady gave a very classy response when Maloney asked him after the Scotland game his thoughts on a prospective replacement. He seemed to think it was disrespectful to O'Neill, didn't have much time for it anyway.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
TheMightyQuinn View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMightyQuinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 8:35pm

no point in spending a lot of money on the manager for this group.

you can't make chicken salad out of chicken s***.

would be better off getting a strong technical director, and investing the money in better coaches/programs at the youth level, and figuring out a way to help good 16/17 year olds become good top flight professionals.

For the manager...go and hire a young and hungry (and unknown) coach that has aspirations to leave us after helping us overachieve. if he does half the job, at an eighth of the cost it’s a bargain...

You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 10:09pm
Firstly, we shouldnt have any third party with such a phenomenal interest in an employee of the FAI's, don't mind the man who is funding the manager at the moment. 

At the time when Trap took over and DOB initially got involved, it was money well spent. We had the spine of a very good team with Keane, Dunne, Shay and O Shea in their prime and yet Stan couldnt get us to challenge for 2nd. Bringing in a very successful manager on a short term two year deal was the right decision with the one aim being qualify for South Africa. We performed to our potential that campaign. 

This is not what we need now. If DOB wants to give money to the FAI it should not be directly to fund overpaid managers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 223224225226>
  Share Topic