URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=45684
Printed Date: 24 Apr 2024 at 5:56am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Next Manager - press conference Saturday
Posted By: coyne
Subject: Next Manager - press conference Saturday
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:25pm
Source: PaddyPower

With all the individual threads on the different managers being mentioned thought I'd start a consolidated thread and discuss what's happening in the Market as of now.

Martin O'Neill's price has stayed static however McDermott's price has fallen sharply whilst Mick McCarthy and Roy Keane's price has risen.
Rene Muelensteen's name has been quietly mentioned a few times and at 41/1 is a really good shout at this moment.

Replies:
Posted By: colemanY2K
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:41pm
Hasn't rene muelensteen failed badly as a manager. Ok I know he only lasted 10 days in the last job but some people are coaches and some are managers. I think if rene was to get the job then a director of football akin to what bobby robson did for us would be required.

As has been said on other threads we are likely to be second seeds going into the euro 2016 qualifying draw therefore I firmly believe we shouldn't take a risk on someone like rene and go with a safe pair of hands like Mccarthy. We have a great opportunity to qualify next time round...lets not take risky decisions and blow it.

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: rolo
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 9:53pm
absolutely what ColemanY2K said.

Qualification for Euro 2016 is ours for the taking - even if the new format is introduced.

Therefore a safe candidate all the way.

Trialling Rene is too risky an experiment. Tried and trusted only please JD.

-------------
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 10:31pm
Have had a cheeky euro on:

Mick McCarthy
Roy Keane
Rene Mulenstein
Marcelo Bielsa
Guus Hiddink

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 11:05pm
Can't see anyone outside the top 5 getting the job except from Rene.. McDermott is a strange one for me he's newly appointed at Leeds, why are his odds so low?

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 11:07pm
How many people felt Trap would get the job the last time around? Good chance that our next potential  manager might not even be on the list.

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Can't see anyone outside the top 5 getting the job except from Rene.. McDermott is a strange one for me he's newly appointed at Leeds, why are his odds so low?

Id say its Because he attends most if our home games, and also because he's spoken many times of his ambition to manage us one day, But, it won't be for a while yet

Posted By: PhilliyK
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 11:30pm
What happened Philipe Troussier? Has he gone off us now CryIts not a good managers list without him being on it Thumbs Down

You'd think given the sterotypical names on that list he'd still be high up there ffs

-------------

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Hasn't rene muelensteen failed badly as a manager. Ok I know he only lasted 10 days in the last job but some people are coaches and some are managers.

How can someone fail badly in 16 days? The club changed its direction and strategy and sold all it's best players and got ridof the manager. Wrong place wrong time IMO
I do agree though that some people will coach some will manage, but I think someone deserves a little bit more than 16 days to prove themselves

Posted By: t_rAndy
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 11:39pm
Criteria is definitely out of work manager.
To be honest I think it will be o'neill. He has a devent recird, irish and great man manager. he knows the team. i'd have me reservations about his tactics and hunger but it also is a bit logical seeing as he is abailable. He is also the attractive name for the fair weather fans who have turned their back on Ireland but would be intrigued with o'neill given the role and may come back.

Posted By: ShamtheRam
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 12:01am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Most definetley.

FAI cant afford to pay off Trap and then buy another manager out of a contract.

-------------
YBIG NPF founder and CEO

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 12:10am
As has been said previously Jupp Heyneckes has to be worth a shout. Not working either so no contract to buy out and O'Brien has said he'll put up the $$$ again

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 12:17am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

As has been said previously Jupp Heyneckes has to be worth a shout. Not working either so no contract to buy out and O'Brien has said he'll put up the $$$ again

Jupp Heynckes is retired.. There's more chance of having Trap back than him. Dead

Posted By: corkery
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 12:48am
Good odds for Fenlon, lots of people at Hibs calling for him to be sacked. He'd be within the FAI's budget too.

-------------
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick

Posted By: Max Power
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 12:59am

To be honest I think it will be o'neill. He has a devent recird, irish and great man manager. he knows the team. i'd have me reservations about his tactics and hunger but it also is a bit logical seeing as he is abailable. He is also the attractive name for the fair weather fans who have turned their back on Ireland but would be intrigued with o'neill given the role and may come back.

I would put my house on O'Neill getting it. I will be absolutely shocked if he doesn't.

-------------
Co-Founder of The Paul McShane Fan Club, Portmarnock Branch

Posted By: Stoked Up
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 2:01am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Mick McCarthy
Roy Keane
Rene Mulenstein
Marcelo Bielsa
Guus Hiddink
Am I missing something? Bielsa is not on the above list. Cue one self-deluded, pseudo Argentine meltdown.
Checked PP just now. Betting suspended. Might be just an overnight thing.

Posted By: RKeane
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 2:24am
What a dream that would be, Jack Charlton

-------------
YESSSS! IT'S THERE

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 3:43am
Originally posted by Gibboisback Gibboisback wrote:

who is this rene guy and what club was this 16 days thing lads?

Sorry didn't see your post at first but I'll answer.

Took over Anzhi Machalaka but was sacked after 16 days after failing to register a win and their billionaire owner had enough of the likes of Rene, Eto and Willian on outrageous money with no return. 

Posted By: opa01
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 8:57am
MON is capable of negotiating his position before he takes on a role so that he has quite a lot of power - would Delaney be able to allow this to happen?

Keane also would want to ensure he gets the best organisation for team affairs - again would Delaney allow this?

Delaney's key criteria for a new manager is that they (1) qualify for Euro2016 and (2) fill the Aviva - both aims driven by money to make up for the mess that was made of the Vantage Club. No talk of developing the team as youth development meanders on into oblivion.

Until Delaney goes the manager could be Micky Mouse for all the difference it will make.

-------------
Will no-one rid me of this turbulent priest?

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:41am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Hasn't rene muelensteen failed badly as a manager. Ok I know he only lasted 10 days in the last job but some people are coaches and some are managers.

How can someone fail badly in 16 days? The club changed its direction and strategy and sold all it's best players and got ridof the manager. Wrong place wrong time IMO
I do agree though that some people will coach some will manage, but I think someone deserves a little bit more than 16 days to prove themselves
He only lasted a few months at a club in Denmark as well...

No matter how you cut it the FAI would be taking a massive risk on someone who has only had limited exposure as a manager and as I said before now is not the time to experiment given the leg up we're getting with the next seeding draw. 

Reckon McDermott will get it. Himself and Delaney were boozing together in the Berkeley Friday night  Wink

-------------
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.

Posted By: Humpy Gussy
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:54am

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

[QUOTE=colemanY2K] Hasn't rene muelensteen failed badly as a manager. Ok I know he only lasted 10 days in the last job but some people are coaches and some are managers.
Reckon McDermott will get it. Himself and Delaney were boozing together in the Berkeley Friday night  Wink

Really?...FFS.

-------------
'Joxer Goes to Poznan' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEjtiJ9udkM

Posted By: Huggybeer
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:48am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Mick McCarthy
Roy Keane
Rene Mulenstein
Marcelo Bielsa
Guus Hiddink

Never heard Marcelo Bielsa mentioned what odds is he, looked at his profile looks quality, hope the look at this kind of canditiate and dont just go for O'Neill

Posted By: Pipkin
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:51am
Delaney wont go international again this time around. He needs people through the gates and immediately. 

The likes of Mulenstein whom the wider public wouldnt have a clue who he is will not result in this.

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Max Power Max Power wrote:

I would put my house on O'Neill getting it. I will be absolutely shocked if he doesn't.

You still living with the folks

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: shoggy
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 12:15pm
Looks like we can rule McDermott out of the running.

'Leeds United boss Brian McDermott has insisted he is "100% committed" to the club after being linked with the vacant Republic of Ireland manager's post.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24062987" rel="nofollow - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24062987

-------------
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else!

Posted By: Cabra Hoop
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 12:28pm
McDermotts odds sure to take a walk..........now if you were planning a betting coup !!!

-------------
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "

Posted By: CEO For Life
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 12:53pm

MON is a shoe in

Posted By: Itsthere
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 1:33pm
Back in to 4/9 now, the 11/10 he was last night looks like easy MONey :-)

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 6:06pm
O'Neill's odds have dropped, but so has Mick McCarthy now only at 6/1

Posted By: colmoc
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 6:09pm

O'Neill's odds have dropped, but so has Mick McCarthy now only at 6/1

more to do with mcdermott and hughton ruling themselves out id say

Posted By: Newryrep
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 6:16pm
I would rather we made the right decision rather than a quick decision. No reason why a caretaker cant oversee the last 2 games. Don't think MON (A N Other) will put that many on the Kazack gate on a wet Tues and those that do are deluded themselves. Get him in place for the euro draw in Feb

would prefer to wait and sound out who would be interested and what they can bring to the table - would still prefer the continental route be it a young hungry manager or and older more experienced international coach. (having English as a language would be a necessity though)

-------------
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Posted By: brianie
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

I would rather we made the right decision rather than a quick decision. No reason why a caretaker cant oversee the last 2 games. Don't think MON (A N Other) will put that many on the Kazack gate on a wet Tues and those that do are deluded themselves. Get him in place for the euro draw in Feb

would prefer to wait and sound out who would be interested and what they can bring to the table - would still prefer the continental route be it a young hungry manager or and older more experienced international coach. (having English as a language would be a necessity though)
Right here, A new manager will not want to start with a dead rubber away to Germany, but would be useful to start v Kazak !

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time

Posted By: benboview
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 7:33pm
Why has noone suggested any of the present LOI managers?

I mean this is not a hard job and why give it to a foreign coach.

This is a cushy number. 7/8 matches a year.

Give me 100/1 Liam Buckley.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 7:38pm
If its going to be o'neill then might as well get him in ASAP in my opinion, I know the FAI will wanna save money in wages but O'Neill could get potentially two packed houses (potentially) for the Kaz game and November friendly.
Can you imagine he gets the job then calls back the likes if Reid and Gibson. Everyone starts feeling this is going to be great and shows the support with their feet. It gives the manager time to work more with the players.
Also means we get our man before someone else does. Be worth it in my opinion.
Although a daunting trip to Germany is not the ideal way to start, unless you can pull off the unbelievable!

Posted By: deco911
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 7:41pm
Anyone not think hiddink a good choice loads of experience downside being his age I suppose

Posted By: El_nino
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 7:51pm
JD was on talksport this evening. Basically in summary he said O'Brien would be stumping up money again. He also said they were in no panic to appoint a manager i.e. they wouldn't be panicking and getting one in before next months double header. He was asked about Roy Keane being in the frame and had a good laugh on it but when pressed on it he said he wouldn't be ruling anybody out at this stage. He also said they wouldn't be necessarily looking for a manager who was out of work.

Posted By: deisedevil
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 7:57pm
Think the fact that Delaney has said no rush to get anyone in before Germany games shows martin o neil is not what he is after, think we have another foreigner on the way

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by deco911 deco911 wrote:

Anyone not think hiddink a good choice loads of experience downside being his age I suppose

Yes he would be a top choice. He can also command one of the top job in world football and gets paid top $$$ wherever he goes so I think people are being realistic with the names they are mentioning

Posted By: stokes78
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 7:58pm
Niall Quinn on Today fm yesterday said we should get van Gaal that he would be wonderful for the whole development of irish football. Quinn said he was close to appointing him at sunderland and he was a great man. Niall didnt seem to realise he is a man who is going to a world cup with the oranges

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 8:02pm

Yes he would be a top choice. He can also command one of the top job in world football and gets paid top $$$ wherever he goes so I think people are being realistic with the names they are mentioning

Money won't matter as Denis o brien is funding it
As for top jobs his last few jobs have been Russia and anzhi doesn't exactly go balls out for big ones anymore does he

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by El_nino El_nino wrote:

JD was on talksport this evening. Basically in summary he said O'Brien would be stumping up money again. He also said they were in no panic to appoint a manager i.e. they wouldn't be panicking and getting one in before next months double header. He was asked about Roy Keane being in the frame and had a good laugh on it but when pressed on it he said he wouldn't be ruling anybody out at this stage. He also said they wouldn't be necessarily looking for a manager who was out of work.

He said in his interview on SSN that he thought it was important (or words to that effect) to get a manager in before next month's games but it wasn't a must.

I think he is right and it was needed that he has been speaking to the media in the last couple of days (dont forget he has done fook all proper interviews since the Dion Fanning interview post euros bar local radio ones) but name checking managers still in their positions is hilarious and plain unprofessionalLOL

Posted By: KING-CON
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 8:28pm
It looks Michael O Neill is ruled out anyways. According to SSN, the Nordy FA are readying a new 2 year deal straight after a hard fought, 3-2 defeat against Luxembourg !LOL

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 8:31pm

As for top jobs his last few jobs have been Russia and anzhi doesn't exactly go balls out for big ones anymore does he

This a wind up? Dennis O'Brien will fund about 1m altogether you would think with FAI covering the other 1m. That's to cover the whole coaching team.
At anzi and Russia he'd be getting about treble that. Hiddink is a money whore in my opinion and would leave for a higher bidder.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 8:35pm
zz

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 8:39pm
z

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 8:39pm

This a wind up? Dennis O'Brien will fund about 1m altogether you would think with FAI covering the other 1m. That's to cover the whole coaching team.
At anzi and Russia he'd be getting about treble that. Hiddink is a money whore in my opinion and would leave for a higher bidder.

no not a wind up im sorry but i aint well versed in salary hiddink may require

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 8:45pm

No worries. He goes to jobs who offer top, top $$.
He is a job hopper (rarely finished the job). Only thing he has done of note in the last while is win the FA cup

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 8:48pm

No worries. He goes to jobs who offer top, top $$.
He is a job hopper (rarely finished the job). Only thing he has done of note in the last while is win the FA cup

true but still think way better candidate then MON or macdermot

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by stokes78 stokes78 wrote:

Niall Quinn on Today fm yesterday said we should get van Gaal that he would be wonderful for the whole development of irish football. Quinn said he was close to appointing him at sunderland and he was a great man. Niall didnt seem to realise he is a man who is going to a world cup with the oranges

It's consistent with the likelihood we'll get a cheap Dutchman instead - Which is why Rene Meulensteen has been linked.

Has there been any names of a caretaker manager? I can't imagine anyone wanting Germany away with Dunne and O'Shea suspended as their first game.

Posted By: nvidic
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 8:57pm
Still reckon Ralf Rangnick could do a decent job, good record with mediocre teams

Posted By: Denis Irwin
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:01pm
Can see King or Doolin being caretaker for the Gemany and Kahzakstan games if it's not going to be O'Neill. If it's O'Neill he'll be appointed before then.

-------------
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn

Posted By: tribalarmy
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Still reckon Ralf Rangnick could do a decent job, good record with mediocre teams

Have a feeling he'll get it.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by tribalarmy tribalarmy wrote:

honestly? only one bookie offering odds on him and thats at 100/1

Posted By: Claret Murph
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:13pm
I always find that the early fav for the job never gets it .

-------------
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .

Posted By: tribalarmy
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:27pm

Sure why not. Supposedly he's looking to get back into management. He wanted the Everton job and didn't get it. Time for JD to take another person off Red Bull's hands. I have a feeling the FAI will go outside Ireland and Britain.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 9:33pm

Sure why not. Supposedly he's looking to get back into management. He wanted the Everton job and didn't get it. Time for JD to take another person off Red Bull's hands. I have a feeling the FAI will go outside Ireland and Britain.

I really hope you're right, there'd be an inevitable backlash with him not being irish nor a household name, nevermind dipping back into Salzburg's staff but itd be a better shout than names being spouted I think.

Posted By: JAVIER
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:51pm
it seems Guus Hiddink is the dark horse to get it, it appears all over the irish media and journals

Did He fail at Russia and Turkey?

Posted By: brianie
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by JAVIER JAVIER wrote:

it seems Guus Hiddink is the dark horse to get it, it appears all over the irish media and journals

Did He fail at Russia and Turkey?
Fook off

-------------
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 11:51pm

"Es el mejor manager y el más auténtico. De Bielsa aprendí la valentía de salir siempre al ataque sin importar dónde o contra quién" Pep Guardiola.  When Guardiola was alumni of Bielsa in some coaching spell when doing his firsts badges as a footie coach.  The myth says that in their meetings they were talking about football for 11 hours in a row at Bielsa's manor

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 12:15am
This is relevant.. how?

Posted By: Salzburglilly
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 12:18am

I really hope you're right, there'd be an inevitable backlash with him not being irish nor a household name, nevermind dipping back into Salzburg's staff but itd be a better shout than names being spouted I think.

Heard he  is more involved with Red Bull Leipzig than Salzburg,Dietrich Mateschitz the Billionaire owner sees Leipzig as his new baby now and will pump  cash into them,reckon Rangnick is on serious €!

http://www.google.at/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fde.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FDietrich_Mateschitz&ei=I0syUsTeG8nKswbTmoDIBg&usg=AFQjCNGYHIgeIjXQIXWnFXhwCvnCVYcoTw" rel="nofollow -

-------------
Nathan Collins - The best Kildare baller since Johnny Doyle!

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 7:19am
Betting suspended on PaddyPower (for now)

Martin O'Neill quoted this morning "I have had no contact with the Irish FA" stayed absolutely silent on asked if he was interested in the job.

Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 7:53am
O'Neill is a cert for the job, lets just hope he isn't too greedy.

Posted By: BigStrongMan
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 7:57am
Whoever gets it not everyone will be happy
With an average bunch of players we need someone to get that extra 10/15% out of them
Trap couldn't do that IMO
Someone like MON/MMcC has that ability

-------------
PM me for all forum moderation queries.

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 8:00am
In fairness most people will be happy BSM, will be a popular choice IMO.

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 8:16am
MON into 1/4

Posted By: RogerMilla
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 8:25am

Martin O'Neill quoted this morning "I have had no contact with the Irish FA" stayed absolutely silent on asked if he was interested in the job.

i bet he has had contact with the FAI though LOL typical oneill lawyers answer there , big fat jim boyce hasnt called him in a while LOL

-------------
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 8:29am

If its going to be o'neill then might as well get him in ASAP in my opinion, I know the FAI will wanna save money in wages but O'Neill could get potentially two packed houses (potentially) for the Kaz game and November friendly.
Can you imagine he gets the job then calls back the likes if Reid and Gibson. Everyone starts feeling this is going to be great and shows the support with their feet. It gives the manager time to work more with the players.

Kazackstan wont be a packed house in million years unless Pep Guardiola ditches Bayern for us and even then it would be a push. We are talking Tues night in Oct in a dead game against not very attractive  opponents not that we aourselves are renowned for free flowing football. It will be the hardcore 10-15K plus maybe another 10 depending on the manager

As to the friendly, the only realistic game that would fill it would be England and I doubt a return match is on the cards this soon.

Are we trying to destabilise the IFA now (not that they need it)

-------------
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 8:31am

exactly , MON knows the difference here..

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 8:44am

Quote Are we trying to destabilise the IFA now (not that they need it)

Nah it's just a typical O'Neill answer, doesn't like the media circus always distanced himself even when it became Captain Obvious. The fact Sky have caught sniff of the news I wouldn't expect anymore comments until the deal is done.

Quote Kazackstan wont be a packed house in million years unless Pep Guardiola ditches Bayern for us and even then it would be a push. We are talking Tues night in Oct in a dead game against not very attractive  opponents not that we aourselves are renowned for free flowing football. It will be the hardcore 10-15K plus maybe another 10 depending on the manager

As to the friendly, the only realistic game that would fill it would be England and I doubt a return match is on the cards this soon.

Pretty sure there's a reverse friendly against England pencilled at the Aviva for May/August but your right about Kazakhstan which is a shame cos I wanted to go.

Posted By: Eamonn68
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 9:01am
MON's first job will be to convince the younger lads to commit to Ireland above England
talk to their families ect
its the future

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 9:07am

Kazackstan wont be a packed house in million years unless Pep Guardiola ditches Bayern for us and even then it would be a push. We are talking Tues night in Oct in a dead game against not very attractive  opponents not that we aourselves are renowned for free flowing football. It will be the hardcore 10-15K plus maybe another 10 depending on the manager

Maybe not packed, but as said, if he comes in now, calls in the right players the. I think it will get people excited and try show their support with the feet. I would say it could attract an additional 10-15k. On top of the hardcores you could be looking at 30k. In and around the same in November depending on opponents.
As someone else said, lets hope o'neill is reasonable in his salary demands

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 9:12am

i cant see them falling out over salary, he knows what trap was on and he can ask for the same , delaney can plead poverty give him a little less, everyone happy

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 9:24am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

i cant see them falling out over salary, he knows what trap was on and he can ask for the same , delaney can plead poverty give him a little less, everyone happy

Hopefully that's the case. And the FAI and more importantly Dennis O'Brien are willing to make way with the cash to get him ASAP and its not drawn out. See no need for that if he is our number one target

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 10:03am
Theres no reason to make an appointment until the next year unless the chosen candidate has other offers.........the FAI would save themselves the cost of traps severance pay if they wait until next year by not having to pay a new manager in the interim. My feeling is that the MON is a done deal and will be announced later this year. It'll be interesting to see if MON starts to turn up at league games featuring Irish palyers.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Theres no reason to make an appointment until the next year unless the chosen candidate has other offers.........the FAI would save themselves the cost of traps severance pay if they wait until next year by not having to pay a new manager in the interim. My feeling is that the MON is a done deal and will be announced later this year. It'll be interesting to see if MON starts to turn up at league games featuring Irish palyers.

they need an appointment now , otherwise its 2 empty stadiums in october and november. it pays for itself in this case, traps severance is money gone now anyway, need to claw some cash back.

-------------

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 10:18am

Of course he will 

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 12:16pm
kazakhstan is a must-win game so we could do with having a manager in place for it.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 12:19pm
Baggio - I meant prior to an official announcement of him getting the job

-------------

Posted By: Roberto Baggio
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 12:22pm

Baggio - I meant prior to an official announcement of him getting the job

oh rite. 

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 1:35pm
Dion Fanning reporting that Cuper is very interested in this job.

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 1:40pm
Ah the candidate merry go round, when's Deschamps gonna make an appearance?

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 1:46pm
Houllier, Troussier all in the running....

for least wanted manager award

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

His CV is littered with failure. Was sacked as Georgia manager

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Posted By: Bob Hoskins
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 1:52pm
Stephen Hunt coming out with an unusual choice, actually talks a lot of sense what the hell is going on thereShocked.

Republic of Ireland winger Stephen Hunt believes the national side should spring a surprise and appoint http://talksport.com/real-madrid" rel="nofollow - Real Madrid assistant coach http://talksport.com/paul-clement" rel="nofollow - Paul Clement as the new manager.

http://talksport.com/football/trapattoni-leaves-role-republic-ireland-boss-13091159520" rel="nofollow - Giovanni Trapattoni left the role following a disappointing World Cup qualifying campaign , which suffered another blow with a 1-0 defeat to Austria on Tuesday night.

http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-holland-hails-trapattonis-ireland-reign-13091159535" rel="nofollow - Many have praised the Italian's five year tenure, including former midfielder Matt Holland, but agreed that the FAI were right to part company with the 74-year-old.

"There's no coincidence that Ancelotti has taken Clement to Real Madrid from PSG"
Stephen Hunt

Former http://talksport.com/football/sunderland" rel="nofollow - Sunderland manager http://talksport.com/martin-oneill" rel="nofollow - Martin O'Neill and ex-Ireland boss http://talksport.com/mick-mccarthy" rel="nofollow - Mick McCarthy are the early favourites for the job.

But Hunt, who is currently without a club, told http://talksport.com/drivetime" rel="nofollow - Drivetime they could look elsewhere and appoint the successful Clement.

He said: "In my opinion you could also go along the lines of Paul Clement. He's a young coach who's at Real Madrid, who's worked with a lot of experienced managers such as Mourinho, Rodgers and Ancelotti.

"You could give him the job in terms of how he knows how to structure and he knows how to deal with players.

"Irish players don't need motivation, they need someone to tell them where to go, how to play, what places to pick the ball up and to learn more and educate them more.

"He's done a good job in terms of what he does. There's no coincidence that Ancelotti has taken him to Real Madrid from PSG."

Hunt, who played 39 times for Ireland, reserved praise for the departed Trapattoni too.

"I loved my time with him. He gave me a lot of my caps that I have. Unfortunately he didn't give me any in the European Championships but that was probably down to injury and a lack of form.

"I always respect him for what he did and I know a lot of players do respect him. But that's also a good sign that a manager is well liked, that he hasn't played me recently and I still respect him and how he goes about things."

Ireland still have two matches remaining in their campaign including a daunting trip to group leaders and European giants Germany.

But Hunt said the FAI should take its time with any appointment and that he is confident with an expanded European Championships in 2016 Ireland will be one of those to qualify.

------------

Real Madrid coach Paul Clement on his rise from PE teacher

It takes a lot to fluster Paul Clement.

In only three years, the relative novice English coach had worked at two of the most famous clubs in Europe and trained the world's greatest players. His CV was impressive, and his stature was growing - life was perfect. But then he received news this year that even he found hard to comprehend.

"My knees started to shake at the possibility that I could work at Real Madrid," the 41-year-old told BBC Sport.

That golden carrot was dangled in front of him by his mentor Carlo Ancelotti, under whom he was working at Paris St-Germain and alongside whom he had worked at Chelsea. The experienced Italian accepted Real's approach, signed on the dotted line in the summer and asked Clement to join him.

Zinedine Zidane, Paul Clement and Carlo Ancelotti

Clement (centre) on the training field with Zinedine Zidane and Carlo Ancelotti

"When I came with Carlo that first day I felt the magnitude of the club," continued Clement. "The support for Madrid in the country and worldwide. They have incredible infrastructure. Then there are the sponsors involved with the club.

"It feels bigger than a club, it's an institution."

Clement, who worked as a PE teacher in Sutton from 1995 to 2000, is from a football family. His father is the former QPR and England full-back Dave, who took his own life at the age of 34, and his brother is the ex-Chelsea and West Bromwich Albion defender Neil.

Paul never played the game professionally, though. While working as a teacher he studied for his coaching badges and helped with Chelsea's Football in the Community programme.

After obtaining his Uefa 'A' licence, he managed to secure his first full-time football role, at Fulham, before returning to Chelsea in 2007.

He steadily rose up the ranks before being picked out by interim manager Guus Hiddink to become a member of his backroom staff.

"[Hiddink] really knew how to capture an audience and was a great motivator and influencer of people," http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18071937" rel="nofollow - says Clement.

However, it was was when Ancelotti replaced the Dutchman at Stamford Bridge in June 2009 that his career took off. The Italian, who won the Serie A and two Champions League crowns at AC Milan, made Clement one of his assistants, and in their first season together they secured the Premier League and FA Cup double.

Clement has huge admiration for his Italian boss.

"He treats the players like men," he explains. "He expects respect in both directions. He also loves to coach on the field - he's very active day to day.

"Carlo carries out the practices and does the work. He's very good in the classroom - with a flip chart, on the tactics board and with the video.

"He's really good to work for - over time he's given me more and more responsibility."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24032226#story_continues_2" rel="nofollow - Continue reading the main story
Deco

One player that really stood out for me was Deco when I was at Chelsea. When he was fit and playing at the top of ability he was one of the best players

Paul Clement on his favourite player

The duo went their separate ways when Ancelotti was sacked by Chelsea in 2011. Clement teamed up with Steve Kean at Blackburn, while the Italian joined Paris St-Germain.

However, in January 2012 they were reunited when Ancelotti asked his trusted assistant to join him at the big-spending Ligue 1 side.

More success came their way with the French championship and a good run in the Champions League. Then Los Blancos came calling.

Real finished a distant second to Barcelona last season and bowed out at the semi-final stage of the Champions League for the third year running. It's been 11 years since they were last kings of Europe.

The Londoner is adamant that Real have found their saviour.

"The list of top players at Real Madrid is endless," adds Clement. "These stars are under an incredible amount of pressure - especially at this club - and what Carlo does well is understand the pressure they are under.

"His calm temperament is a help to that, especially during the week in training - the way he manages them individually."

Clement's career has been very closely aligned to that of Ancelotti so far, but would he ever consider going it alone?

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/republic-of-ireland/news/hunt-clement-would-be-good-ireland-boss_104339.html" rel="nofollow - - Winger Stephen Hunt said this week -   that the Englishman should be considered as the next Republic of Ireland manager, following http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24043331" rel="nofollow - the departure of Giovanni Trapattoni.

Clement has said that he hopes there was "a chairman out there who will look at me and think 'he's had a good apprenticeship'".

Until then he is content to continue learning his trade from one of football's all-time great managers at one of its finest schools.

-------------
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 4:27pm

Héctor Cúper is a good manager, by he plays dull football, he comes from the Ferro Carril Oeste notion of football, they were champions in the 80`s him as a player.  They were a small time like Ipswich that won the national league of Argentina twice at least.

He reached 2 CL finals that is a pedigree and he has experienced from the european football as well,.  He was in the short list for the Argentina post when Batista was sacked, but it went Sabella instead.

He is very similar to M'ON, he was the manager of Inter of MIlan i think.  If you get Cúper you will get a very humble, hard working manager, low voice talker, 0 charismatic than Trapattoni, that will keep the team organized, but i dont think that he has the spark to go after a cutting edge attack.  
He wouldnt have any public fuss with players a la Giovanni, because he keeps everything in the dressing room a la old school of managers like Alex Ferguson, Bielsa, Hiddink, Wenger and some other.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 4:35pm
O'Neill into 1/8 with paddypower

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 5:40pm
JD said in several interviews since the departure of Trap that the board would be meeting next week. It will be interesting to see if they are meeting just to ratify the appointment of MON or whether they will be meeting to discuss the selection process of the new manager (similar to the process which ended up with us appointing Trap), personally I hope it's the latter as I don't see MON being the answer.

I would like to see us go to the continent again preferably someone schooled in the Dutch or German philosophy of playing football. No need to rush the appointment IMO.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 5:51pm
is Bert van Marwijk  an option ? is he out of work ? 

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 6:01pm
Certainly an option NR if the FAI wanted to go the continental route again. Been out of work since parting company with the Dutch FA after last summers European Championships.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 6:06pm
Hector Cuper is scraping the bottom of the barrel. Don't think he won a single game with Georgia when he was with them and has not been successful in years 

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Hector Cuper is scraping the bottom of the barrel. Don't think he won a single game with Georgia when he was with them and has not been successful in years 

Maybe he had sh1te players available to him.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: theheff1989
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 6:40pm
Looks like it will be MON. Didn't think a new manager would be involved before Germany game. But it's good to give him a bit if experience before the Euro qualifying campaign.

Posted By: planning
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 6:48pm
Hiring someone now is pointless. We have 12 months to the next must-win game. There is no rush.

My name put forward would be Gustavo Poyet. He is available, but whether he would be interested and/or affordable is another
question.

Hopefully, we're still in the "it's Paul Jewell" phase. Certainly the other names suggested so far, sound as hopeful and promising to me as Don Givens U21 reign.

-------------
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 6:51pm
Will people please get it into the fockin heads that the Kazakhstan game is a MUST win game!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 7:07pm

Will people please get it into the fockin heads that the Kazakhstan game is a MUST win game!!!

FW could manage us to a win over them, with the greatest of respect to FW

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 7:09pm

Care to elaborate? Our second seed position is relatively ok barring one of 3 teams winning their last 2 games in WC qualification or do I have that wrong?

Posted By: darmack
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 7:16pm

Care to elaborate? Our second seed position is relatively ok barring one of 3 teams winning their last 2 games in WC qualification or do I have that wrong?

And that's still providing we win against Kazakhstan.

So we still have to win, and hope that those other 3 teams don't pick up their wins.

-------------
The dark side.. And the light

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 7:17pm
Kazakhstan is must win if we want to be second seeds

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2013 at 7:18pm
We're in trouble if we don't win it. Rolo could confirm but I think we will be feckin 3rd seeds if we don't win. Winning pretty much guarantees second seed unless some spectacular results go against us.

So bottom line is win or we're fighting an uphill battle for Euro 2016. What a sh*t way to hand over the reins to the new manager...he'd be on a hiding to nothing from the start.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net