Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9091929394 419>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 12:39pm
Not enough multi-quotes on this thread. Thumbs Down
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 12:40pm
Quinn played left side of midfield. Wheland was the holding player. Walters on the right. McCarthy pushed up behind the striker.

Yeah Trap played Sammon in one campaign.  He was sh*te. Who would you have played up front?
Daryl Murphy is poor and he gets his game. 1 goal in 26 caps is it? I could easily go to town on that record. 

The fact that you're from Cork simply means that you are a Keane worshipper.  You can never see a fault in Keane because he is from Cork.  That's why you wont criticise O'Neill because he has Cork's favourite son in the dugout.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

I'd rather a manager who changes partnerships when things arent working in a tournament, than one who stubbornly sticks with the same players.

Like a clearly under performing Randolph and in form Westwood?

Not to mention taking a huge gamble with Kevin Long.

Mr. Horse - Was Randolph at fault for Austria goal? Did he make any mistake? Howler as you all predicted?

Make a great save? Yes he did. 

Team = justified.

Long was excellent - no issue there. Obviously impressed in few games / training etc. 

I never said he did make a mistake, nor did I predict he would make a howler, the point I am making is that Westwood is a better keeper than Randolph, which goes against the point Rolo made.

And the poll put on the side showed that all the fans wanted Westwood to start in goal instead of Randolph.

I don't think anyone bar you, thought Long had an excellent game. He did ok.

Again, the point is that O'Neill played 2 inexperienced players together in a crucial game, this in my opinion was a mistake.

It doesnt go against the point im making. The point I made (as you quoted) is that MON changes it when things arent working. But when it aint broke, MON doenst fix it. In Randolph's case, MON made it clear that he didnt see him as broken. He said as much after the game.
I'd have had Westwood in but MON picked Randolph cos he hasnt let him down before. He isn't afraid to change it though when things arent going well.

As for your point about Long. I know that ppl may forget now but Richard Keogh passed the ball straight to Garreth Bale in the final moments v Wales and Bale was a whisker away from scoring the winner after accepting the gift and closing in on goal with our defenders at sixes and sevens.
MON clearly decided - correctly imo - that he's a liability.
JOS obviously didnt impress him in training or his end-of-season form to merit selection.
So MON clearly saw himself bereft of options. He opted for Long, who played in two friendlies and 3 PL games in the lead-up, and trained well presumably. I dont see where the gamble is there.

Edited by rolo - 20 Jun 2017 at 2:14pm
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:04pm
TJ why did you dodge my question when I called you out for previously calling MON to be sacked after we won a game.

I genuinely don't think you actually believe anything you post.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:11pm
"As for your point about Long. I know that ppl may forget now but Richard Keogh passed the ball straight to Garreth Bale in the final moments and Bale was a whisker away from scoring the winner after accepting the gift and moving in towards goal, with our defenders at sixes and sevens.
MON clearly decided - correctly imo - that he's a liability.
JOS obviously didnt impress him in trainig or his end-of-season form to merit selection.
MON clearly saw himself bereft of options. He opted for Long, who played in two friendlies and 3 PL games in the lead-up, and trained well presumably. I dont see where the gamble is there."

I agree that there wasn't much of a gamble in picking Long, but it would be harsh to drop Keogh on the basis of one nearly costly error and to persevere with Duffy after a catalogue of them, many costly.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:18pm
Harsh or not he has his job on the line.
Has to make the right call.

Anyway Keogh made a mistake for one of the French goals too, and he just doesnt inspire confidence. The ball is like a hot potato to him. He's just a bit all over the shop.
Cant remember how he got on in the Mexico game.
The pass to Bale was the final straw. Rightly so.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Harsh or not he has his job on the line.
Has to make the right call.

Anyway Keogh made a mistake for one of the French goals too, and he just doesnt inspire confidence. The ball is like a hot potato to him. He's just a bit all over the shop.
Cant remember how he got on in the Mexico game.
The pass to Bale was the final straw. Rightly so.
Then Duffy should never play for Ireland again! He can't even hoof it straight! It isn't just the French goals either, there was Moldova and whatever he was at in Vienna too. I think the reality is that there is very little between the two of them, although there is probably more scope for improvement in Duffy. As it stands now there is probably a case for Clark and Long being our first-choice pairing.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:27pm
It was Duffy who was at fault for both goals against France. Not to mention his red card and his horror show against Moldova. What does he need to do to get dropped?

Duffy of all defenders would be the biggest liability.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:36pm

Duffy has been ropey but I reckon allowances are granted given his age profile. You would HOPE that he will calm down a bit and his judgement might improve with experience. 
For example Richie Dunne came on a lot as he got older. 
El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Duffy has been ropey but I reckon allowances are granted given his age profile. You would HOPE that he will calm down a bit and his judgement might improve with experience. 
For example Richie Dunne came on a lot as he got older. 
Duffy is 25 now  though, I do think that he can improve aspects of his game like Dunne did, positioning especially. 
Richie Dunne's big problem in his younger days was a fondness for the beer, by all accounts,including his own.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

TJ why did you dodge my question when I called you out for previously calling MON to be sacked after we won a game.

I genuinely don't think you actually believe anything you post.

Can you show me the post where I called for him to be sacked after that game? Not sure I said that tbh. I'd let him finish out this campaign regardless of results.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:51pm
Duffy reminds me of when Clark broke into the team, it took him an age to actually find his feet and was as bad as duffy has been to date in certain games, but eventually settled into it a bit more but still not the finished article in regards international football, so hopefully duffy starts to settle into the role 

Edited by DUBLIN DOC - 20 Jun 2017 at 2:52pm
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

unless you have a direct quote from a player saying MON advised his players not to play ball at home in a qualifier

If you want quotes, look up Keane's press conferences.
If you want evidence, look at all the wild rash kickouts and elbows that went in the last two home games, and the amount of hoofball in both. That's not accident, that is clearly an instruction from the top. You could never accuse Trap's teams of being full of dirty players.

Quote as you saw at the Euros we were exposed and embarrassed. Did you feel embarrassed after Poland? Were you quiet then? I'm sure you were.
We lost 1 game in the Group at the Euro's, drew one and won one. We rattled France for an hour. 

We beat Bosnia comfortably in the play offs, beat Germany, won out in Vienna plus many more good results. We are top of this Group. It's his 2nd campaign and we have a great chance of qualifying.

Talk about rules changing there or Italy B.

He should talk about them, as despite beating Germany, Bosnia, and Italy B, if there was no third place, we would not have gone any further in the tournament. That's where the 10 dropped points against Poland and Scotland come in. Bosnia were no better than Estonia 4 years ago, a team we destroyed away from home, and the only time we ever won an away playoff. Despite winning it the easy way for once, Trap was crucified for doing so with RTE boasting while we were 2 and 3-0 up that "the job wasn't done" when the dogs in Tallinn knew the tie was already over.

I wasn't embarrassed by the results in Poland. We were the weakest side in the championships in the toughest group, playing against the best in Europe, and the results showed it. There's no embarrassment in that, it was great to be there. 37 other nations had to stay at home.

Quote He continues to pick Kevin Doyle in squads over potential like Sean Maguire - seriously we have had this. I'm from Cork and don't think Maguire should be in squad.

He isn't in the squad because he plays LOI, and despite so many ex-LOI players in the current squad, they have been banned from playing for the national side since 1986. He'll be at Preston a wet week and be in the squad. Nothing much will have changed in such a limited time. You can either score goals as a forward or you can't, regardless what league you're in.

Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Far better way of doing it instead of everyone including the opposition knowing the team 3 months in advance

And despite knowing all this, very few sides beat us. We lost 5 qualifiers in 5 years with Trap, and lost 1 of 16 away qualifiers. MON lost two in one campaign. Just a year ago, we were getting embarrassed at home by Belarussia. So the advantage of not knowing who will play until ko is?

Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

when you hear the likes of Tardelli coming out and saying Irish players aren't tactically intelligent I think that tells you all you need to know about the type of tactics Trap was always going to employ. It made us hard to beat and we got to a European Championships with it. But I don't think you'll ever hear MON or Roy Keane coming out and calling the players tactically stupid or not able to understand what they're trying to do. I think if there's one thing you can say for Martin O'Neill is that he instills belief in the squad. They battle away because they believe in what is being done. You can't deny that. MON isn't perfect, but he has done decent enough so far. If he gets us to a World Cup you'll have to give him huge credit.

So can ye just stop crawing on about Trap, that's done, it's over, just get over it. Are we a better team now than we were under Trap? Yes, I think so.

No we're not. We've mainly got by in the past 4 years on luck and good fortune. We're not a better football side, we don't have better players, we don't have revolutionary tactics, we still haven't shown we can qualify automatically out of a group as of yet, even a group as weak as this. Smash it forward and see what happens is not sophisticated tactics, it's the game at it's most primitive.

Tardelli and Trap bluntly told the truth about the squad, the way Keane used to. They're all adults, if they can't deal with the truth, that's their problem.

The day I stop comparing this regime to the one before is when I see a massive improvement, not more of the same.
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 4:10pm
Not debating Trap's record Planning. I was a big fan of him until near the end when things got stale and he was too stubborn. Last campaign I wasn't a fan of ONeill at all. I've seen lots in the last year however to suggest he is doing a good job
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 4:10pm
What's the story with implementing an ignore button for the forum?
El Puto Amo
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Duffy reminds me of when Clark broke into the team, it took him an age to actually find his feet and was as bad as duffy has been to date in certain games, but eventually settled into it a bit more but still not the finished article in regards international football, so hopefully duffy starts to settle into the role 

I don't recall Clark making many mistakes at all (for Ireland) in his early career, bar one against Austria. That was down to him being caught in possession, which isn't really reflective of the types of errors Duffy has been making, as they have been more positional/lack of pace in nature.
We're decent enough..
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

No we're not. We've mainly got by in the past 4 years on luck and good fortune. We're not a better football side, we don't have better players, we don't have revolutionary tactics, we still haven't shown we can qualify automatically out of a group as of yet, even a group as weak as this. Smash it forward and see what happens is not sophisticated tactics, it's the game at it's most primitive.

Tardelli and Trap bluntly told the truth about the squad, the way Keane used to. They're all adults, if they can't deal with the truth, that's their problem.

The day I stop comparing this regime to the one before is when I see a massive improvement, not more of the same.

I said we're a better team. I didn't claim that there were revolutionary tactics on show, I didn't claim we've shown we can qualify automatically, I didn't even say we were a better footballing side or have better players. I said we're a better team than we were under Trap. I believe we are. 

You can have your own little argument in your head and huff and puff and be bitter about whatever Martin O'Neill or any future manager does because the wrongs against Trap in your head will never be righted. You'll be on here again after Georgia no matter the result of performance, you'll be on here again after the Serbia game and again after that just going on and on and on and on and on about records and tactics and limited group this and primitive football that, it doesn't matter what happens on the pitch or if we qualify or anything. MON won't get any credit from you regardless of what happens.

Just cut your losses and switch off until O'Neill eventually resigns or is sacked and then you can come back to try and enjoy watching your national team maybe.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

So can ye just stop crawing on about Trap, that's done, it's over, just get over it. Are we a better team now than we were under Trap? Yes, I think so.

Well that's one thing I agree with you on. We don't have better players now. 

Trap had Richard Dunne and a pre-decline JOS in defence, he had Damien Duff, Shay Given, and Robbie Keane. 

To say that this is more of the same is absurd. We've a weaker panel of players now. And the results have been good. Great management to get some great days and nights out of these players, at times it's been like a return to the good old days, winning big qualifiers, claiming big scalps, winning a match at a tournament (by the way the most games we've ever won at a single tournament is one, the only time we fell below that was 2012).

It hasn't been perfect but MON did well to turn us around from the rabble we were in the last couple of years under Trap. 

Also, Bosnia were a better side than Estonia, simple as. The highlight of the Trap era was beating the nine men of Estonia 4-0. Heady times. 

I don't agree with the people who said Trap had a great record in the first two campaigns.

The second campaign was a weak group: Russia, Slovakia, ourselves, Macedonia, Armenia, Andorra. 
We had bad days in that campaign, poor home performances (Russia and Slovakia) and nothing much to shout about, we got by ultimately because Slovakia were sh*te. 
So don't be so critical when we're second in a group that is much, much tougher than that group.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9091929394 419>
  Share Topic