You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8889909192 420>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 10:29pm
Or does longball football work at tiring defences out and then capitalising on mistakes in the last 20 minutes?

There is ever another way of looking at things.
Sponsored Links

greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 10:44pm
Maybe mon sees the qualifying campaign different than the finals. Hard work, grit and determination to get through the qualifiers and then let the reins off at the finals.
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 10:54pm
But when have we ever scored so many late goals?

Jack was the king of longball football, but I can't think of too many late goals. We did need a 90th minute equaliser against Belgium in a 2-2 draw in Brussels, but usually late goals under Jack were the icing on the cake in 2 or 3 nil victories.

What seems to be happening under O'Neill is that the longball gameplan often doesn't work and the opposition find themselves taking the lead. With about 20 minutes to go they drop further and further back in order to defend their lead, and that's when we throw the kitchen sink at them.

It's great that the players never give up, but it does suggest that we need to try something different to stop this from happening.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 11:05pm
I think the problem, certainly against Austria, is how we approach and start the game. I don't think we started the last game to play as direct, the problem was that Arter and Hendrick had little interest in looking for the ball so when any of the back 4 or Randolph was given the ball it was humped away. That isn't what I would call long ball, more wasteful than anything else and it stemmed from inviting pressure onto ourselves. When Murphy came on the tactic was clearer for the deeper players to look up and find either him or Walters. The hoofs were replaced with more accurate long balls forward and we got a foothold up the pitch and started creating chances.
There is nothing wrong with being direct, it is when we dilly dally on the ball, uncomfortably knock it about the back and it ends up being launched into the stand by a frustrated defender that is the problem. It isn't as if we are blessed with ball-playing defenders anyway!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 12:10am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I think the problem, certainly against Austria, is how we approach and start the game. I don't think we started the last game to play as direct, the problem was that Arter and Hendrick had little interest in looking for the ball so when any of the back 4 or Randolph was given the ball it was humped away. That isn't what I would call long ball, more wasteful than anything else and it stemmed from inviting pressure onto ourselves. When Murphy came on the tactic was clearer for the deeper players to look up and find either him or Walters. The hoofs were replaced with more accurate long balls forward and we got a foothold up the pitch and started creating chances.
There is nothing wrong with being direct, it is when we dilly dally on the ball, uncomfortably knock it about the back and it ends up being launched into the stand by a frustrated defender that is the problem. It isn't as if we are blessed with ball-playing defenders anyway!

If going direct is so effective why not launch it from minute 1?  (I think we did this anyway last week).
And this brings up the question of why the country was outraged when Trapattoni did it but now thinks its the correct tactic? Trap was sl*gged off for playing 4-4-2 and direct.  Now people are calling for its return! Unreal. At least Trap played long balls to two up front as opposed to a lone striker who to be fair did brilliantly with little help from anyone else.
To be fair to O'Neill his teams are usually well motivated and the late goals reflect a fighting spirit but that was never my criticism of MON.  Look back at any of y posts from 2013 and I always said he's a good motivator but offers little else.  We get by on spirit and nothing else.
Should I be happy with that?  No because his remit was to change things from the Trap era.

His remit was to:
Play a passing game:  failed
Play ''our best players'' :  half failed
Improve the tactics :  failed

His tactics show that he still is experimenting and hoping to stumble upon a working formula. At first it was McCarthy as a number 10 and it continued on.  He chops and changes every game. Sometimes it works but mostly it doesnt.  He throws players together who never played together before into vital qualifiers.  Qualifiers and major finals are no time to gamble on new partnerships. You would hope to have tested any new players or partnerships in 1 oe 2 friendly games before putting them into a big game.  Putting Duffy with Long was a bad mistake. Long played ok but that was a stupid gamble to take.  It paid off for MON against Italy and then backfired badly against France when Duffy was found out to be a poor player with no cop on.  The players should know their roles. With MON the players seem a bit lost similar to when Stan chopped and changed line up every game hoping to find the winning formula. 

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 1:08am
I'd rather a manager who changes partnerships when things arent working in a tournament, than one who stubbornly sticks with the same players.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 1:36am
MON didn't set us up to play long ball against Austria in my opinion. He wanted the same performance that the team produced against Uruguay.The Team couldn't do that in the tension of a vital qualifier. If we were intentionally playing long ball in the first 70 minutes why would he play Jonathan Walters on his own upfront? We played it long in the first 70 minutes because the players couldn't pass the ball to each other and had no other choice. It wasn't planned.

In the last 20 minutes in a 4-4-2 system the long ball game seemed much more effective. Other factors in that could have been Austria tiring, Austria sitting back and desperation for Ireland with the clock ticking away. It's hard to tell how much or if any of those also played a part.

I really don't like how late MON names the team.How he loves throwing in a surprise last minute inclusion and how the players don't know if they are in the team until the last minute. It would be a lot better if everyone knew they were playing from when the squad met up and all the tactics and positions were worked on down to a fine detail in training on the week of the games but that's not MON's way, sadly.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 1:57am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

If going direct is so effective why not launch it from minute 1?  (I think we did this anyway last week).
And this brings up the question of why the country was outraged when Trapattoni did it but now thinks its the correct tactic? Trap was sl*gged off for playing 4-4-2 and direct.  Now people are calling for its return! Unreal. At least Trap played long balls to two up front as opposed to a lone striker who to be fair did brilliantly with little help from anyone else.
To be fair to O'Neill his teams are usually well motivated and the late goals reflect a fighting spirit but that was never my criticism of MON.  Look back at any of y posts from 2013 and I always said he's a good motivator but offers little else.  We get by on spirit and nothing else.
Should I be happy with that?  No because his remit was to change things from the Trap era.

His remit was to:

His tactics show that he still is experimenting and hoping to stumble upon a working formula. At first it was McCarthy as a number 10 and it continued on.  He chops and changes every game. Sometimes it works but mostly it doesnt.  He throws players together who never played together before into vital qualifiers.  Qualifiers and major finals are no time to gamble on new partnerships. You would hope to have tested any new players or partnerships in 1 oe 2 friendly games before putting them into a big game.  Putting Duffy with Long was a bad mistake. Long played ok but that was a stupid gamble to take.  It paid off for MON against Italy and then backfired badly against France when Duffy was found out to be a poor player with no cop on.  The players should know their roles. With MON the players seem a bit lost similar to when Stan chopped and changed line up every game hoping to find the winning formula. 

When was McCarthy a number ten? Who exactly are "our best players" to the point that he's not played half of them if that objective is half failed? Was his remit ever to play a passing game? His remit, as it is with all of our managers in the last thirty years, was and is to qualify for major tournaments and to give a good account of ourselves while there. One campaign completed, one successful campaign.  
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 1:59am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

All results matter. 16 from 40 is not a resurgence, it's barely mediocre, which has us as fourth seeds for this campaign.

Sure who wants to beat Germany, Bosnia, Italy, Austria in competitive games when you can beat teams in end of season friendlies LOLLOL how far ahead of us are the top two seeds in our group again?
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 2:02am
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

MON didn't set us up to play long ball against Austria in my opinion. He wanted the same performance that the team produced against Uruguay.The Team couldn't do that in the tension of a vital qualifier. If we were intentionally playing long ball in the first 70 minutes why would he play Jonathan Walters on his own upfront? We played it long in the first 70 minutes because the players couldn't pass the ball to each other and had no other choice. It wasn't planned.

In the last 20 minutes in a 4-4-2 system the long ball game seemed much more effective. Other factors in that could have been Austria tiring, Austria sitting back and desperation for Ireland with the clock ticking away. It's hard to tell how much or if any of those also played a part.

I really don't like how late MON names the team.How he loves throwing in a surprise last minute inclusion and how the players don't know if they are in the team until the last minute. It would be a lot better if everyone knew they were playing from when the squad met up and all the tactics and positions were worked on down to a fine detail in training on the week of the games but that's not MON's way, sadly.
Exactly, although I am not sure if it is down to the tension of the qualifier, more the lack of ability to do it in the intensity of a qualifier but it amounts to the same thing. It wasn't long ball in the first half, it was rushed and hurried clearances fired anywhere as we had no composure and no movement in midfield. In fairness to MON, he rectified it, got Murphy on and that strategy worked far better. I just think we would work better the other way; start in a direct manner, get a foothold in the game and maybe then the team will have grown in belief to get on the ball a bit more. I also think, even if we are slow to admit it as it is not in fashion, that Irish fans still like a bit of 'put 'em under pressure'. Starting by getting balls into the box and trying to win free-kicks, corners and throw ins and aiming them at Walters and Murphy would improve the atmosphere too. I think it is our best hope against Serbia as I am not sure that they like it up 'em.

MON has always named his team late, back to his days with Leicester, as he believes it removes complacency in those that start and keeps intensity high in those that won't. I also remember a comment of his, possibly in his Celtic days, about the short notice removing some of the disappointment and not allowing resentment to build up; Cloughie's influence, essentially. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 7:47am
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

I'd rather a manager who changes partnerships when things arent working in a tournament, than one who stubbornly sticks with the same players.

Like a clearly under performing Randolph and in form Westwood?

Not to mention taking a huge gamble with Kevin Long.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 8:27am

He says it's to stop his players going on Twitter to rant about why they're not playing. i.e. a bunch of McCleans.

This idea that they couldn't pass the ball in a qualifier is bunkum. They were told not to do it, and they didn't. The pre game chat was all about fighting wars and kick and rush, put em under pressure claptrap. Not a great advert for decent football.
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

His remit was to:

Before I even start on this - this lad just hasn't a clue. It's scary, I actually laugh now when I read these posts and they very rarely make sense. If they were true and fair I would actually agree with you. 

Trap used pick the same 11 week in, week out. Someone might not even have a club LOL 

At least MON likes to go off some form. It blends this with a certain loyalty that I respect but is also cutthroat which is a huge plus on the last manager. No one is undroppable, a word Trap had no idea about. 

Can you tell me how Long and Duffy was a mistake? Then you say Long played ok? Which is it?

Backfired against France? We were 1-0 against a team who should have won the tournament for 55 mins? Are you on drugs?

Players certainly don't lost. In fact they look the opposite - they believe they will never lose a match and have a never say die attitude. We were beaten in some games before a ball was kicked under Trap - we are top of the group. Not bad for a clueless bunch who don't believe in the manager or system. Reached our furthest at a tournament for how long? How did Trap do at the euros bud?

As for this - 

His remit was to:

Nothing but Clown
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:04am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Mr. Horse - Was Randolph at fault for Austria goal? Did he make any mistake? Howler as you all predicted?

Make a great save? Yes he did. 

Team = justified.

Long was excellent - no issue there. Obviously impressed in few games / training etc. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:05am
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

He says it's to stop his players going on Twitter to rant about why they're not playing. i.e. a bunch of McCleans.

This idea that they couldn't pass the ball in a qualifier is bunkum. They were told not to do it, and they didn't. The pre game chat was all about fighting wars and kick and rush, put em under pressure claptrap. Not a great advert for decent football.

BULL - unless you have a direct quote from a player saying MON advised his players not to play ball at home in a qualifier - GIVE OVER will you. Jesus 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:43am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Mr. Horse - Was Randolph at fault for Austria goal? Did he make any mistake? Howler as you all predicted?

Team = justified.

Long was excellent - no issue there. Obviously impressed in few games / training etc. 

I never said he did make a mistake, nor did I predict he would make a howler, the point I am making is that Westwood is a better keeper than Randolph, which goes against the point Rolo made.

And the poll put on the side showed that all the fans wanted Westwood to start in goal instead of Randolph.

I don't think anyone bar you, thought Long had an excellent game. He did ok.

Again, the point is that O'Neill played 2 inexperienced players together in a crucial game, this in my opinion was a mistake.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:56am

Team = justified.

I never said he did make a mistake, nor did I predict he would make a howler, the point I am making is that Westwood is a better keeper than Randolph, which goes against the point Rolo made.

And the poll put on the side showed that all the fans wanted Westwood to start in goal instead of Randolph.

Again, the point is that O'Neill played 2 inexperienced players together in a crucial game, this in my opinion was a mistake.

But how was it a mistake? Please tell me? 

The poll? Jesus I forgot about that - Maybe MON didn't see it. Despite the fact Randolph was recently dropped by WHU doesn't change the fact he is a premier league keeper. He played a lot of games for them this year and has been brilliant for us since he came in. How is Westwood better? Why hasn't he got a better club that a championship one? Long had a great debut, he won all his aerial battles and was composed when he had it - better on the floor than Duffy who has played how many games now? If it was a mistake people would be talking about him. Everyone is quiet so to me MON's decision was fine. You can't call something a mistake for no reason. We didn't lose the game or drop points because of him and Randolph so it's not even a conversation to be had. In fact he actually made a save which probably got us a point but you didn't call out that. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 10:04am

Team = justified.

But how was it a mistake? Please tell me? 

The poll? Jesus I forgot about that - Maybe MON didn't see it. Despite the fact Randolph was recently dropped by WHU doesn't change the fact he is a premier league keeper. He played a lot of games for them this year and has been brilliant for us since he came in. How is Westwood better? Why hasn't he got a better club that a championship one? Long had a great debut, he won all his aerial battles and was composed when he had it - better on the floor than Duffy who has played how many games now? If it was a mistake people would be talking about him. Everyone is quiet so to me MON's decision was fine. You can't call something a mistake for no reason. We didn't lose the game or drop points because of him and Randolph so it's not even a conversation to be had. In fact he actually made a save which probably got us a point but you didn't call out that. 

You're responses are too childish, so I'm not going to discuss it with you any further.

You keep missing the point, try re-reading my post again and eventually the penny will drop.

Edited by horsebox - 20 Jun 2017 at 10:04am
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8889909192 420>
  Share Topic