You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 416417418419>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by tapfit2004 tapfit2004 wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

If the alternative to Stephrn Kenny is Martin o Neill no thanks 

And his comments on his nationality is frankly perplexing embarrassing and a disgrace but as he’s an ex Celtic manager he will get a bye from plenty 

He can return his Irish passport while he’s at it 

I support celtic and was at loads of matches when he was manager in Glasgow and I have no time for him at all these days. He got well paid for his time with Ireland and was successful in getting to the euros. Unless some generous billionaire offers to pay all his wages he ain't coming back. No way he would even consider the money that Kenny is on. 
Shameful. Celtic fan stabs legendary manager in the back. You're worse than those ingrates in Dunfermline. 

Ah thanks. 
Let Christy Take It.
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 12:58pm
O'Neill considering himself Northern Irish because of Tony O'Donoghue asking him stimulating questions is up there with Mike Love going on about Brian Wilson taking drugs every time he's interviewed even though Wilson hasn't taken any drugs in 45 years in terms of pettiness.
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 9:22am
This is excellent from MONs press liaison during the last two years of his Ireland gig. Has no time for MONs suggestion that he was treated as an outsider....

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 10:08am
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

This is excellent from MONs press liaison during the last two years of his Ireland gig. Has no time for MONs suggestion that he was treated as an outsider....

The final three paragraphs sum up what a spineless little coward of a man he is.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

The final three paragraphs sum up what a spineless little coward of a man he is.
So he stands up for himself, takes no sh*te from journalists with agendas, defends his political views, loves where he was born, defines nationality on his own terms, has a short fuse and doesn't handle criticism well. 

Mallon thought he was on to a scoop ("I texted Martin before writing this piece, pointing out I'd much prefer if he sat with me and expanded on the various points he made in his book"). O'Neill gave him short shrift so Mallon pushed ahead with Plan B - the knife job. 

I don't think O'Neill is the nicest person in the world, but he's not your "spineless little coward" either. And he was a bloody good manager for Ireland. 

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 4:27pm
His behaviour to the media, especially with TOD in his final year in charge, was nothing short of a disgrace. The media were asking questions that the public wanted asked. There was no agenda aside from a manager on an enormous salary, overseeing a behind the scenes meltdown and several on pitch disasters.

Attempting to reframe that as 'taking no sh*te from journalists with agendas' is utterly hilarious.

He was a good manager for a time and I wouldnt dare denigrate his achievements like many other people do in their attempt to pretend Kenny is good, but his conduct and our performances in his last year were just embarrassing. 

When he writes a book where several excerpts mean the book would be more fitting in the comedy and fiction section, expect people to challenge it.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 1:28am
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

His behaviour to the media, especially with TOD in his final year in charge, was nothing short of a disgrace. The media were asking questions that the public wanted asked. There was no agenda aside from a manager on an enormous salary, overseeing a behind the scenes meltdown and several on pitch disasters.

Attempting to reframe that as 'taking no sh*te from journalists with agendas' is utterly hilarious.

He was a good manager for a time and I wouldnt dare denigrate his achievements like many other people do in their attempt to pretend Kenny is good, but his conduct and our performances in his last year were just embarrassing. 

When he writes a book where several excerpts mean the book would be more fitting in the comedy and fiction section, expect people to challenge it.
If I withdraw the allegedly hilarious bit ('taking no sh*te from journalists with agendas') it's more or less handbags. Do you want a Mrs Doyle v Mrs Dineen brawl over that? Or, perish the thought, a HH v O'Shea cataclysm? 
Best differ and push on.

Edited by Mr Brick - 03 Jan 2023 at 5:49am
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 2:06am

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

What's Eoin Hand up to?

Very well-timed question, Artie, given who we face in the intimidating Euro qualifiers ahead. Just to clarify. Is that the Eoin Hand who beat Netherlands 2-1 in a WC qualifier? The same guy who beat France 3-2 in a WC qualifier? Him again beating Switzerland 3-0 in a WC qualifier? The same former Drumcondra icon who swept minnows Malta aside 8-0 and Iceland 0-3 in Euros?

Is that the Eoin of your query? You'll find him in the picturesque North Kerry town of Moyvane. He was last seen just down the road in Lizzy's Little Kitchen enjoying a skinny latte (with biscotti) in the company of two sloppy green-blazer types who looked like they could handle a dinner or three. Probably just a chat about John Egan. I mean, what in the name of jazus would Eoin Hand know?  

As you are going down the road of resurrecting previous manager to take over. Suggesting Eoin Hand is as pointless of talking about Martin O'Neill.
It would damage this forums' reputation
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 4:15am

What's Eoin Hand up to?

Very well-timed question, Artie, given who we face in the intimidating Euro qualifiers ahead. Just to clarify. Is that the Eoin Hand who beat Netherlands 2-1 in a WC qualifier? The same guy who beat France 3-2 in a WC qualifier? Him again beating Switzerland 3-0 in a WC qualifier? The same former Drumcondra icon who swept minnows Malta aside 8-0 and Iceland 0-3 in Euros?

Is that the Eoin of your query? You'll find him in the picturesque North Kerry town of Moyvane. He was last seen just down the road in Lizzy's Little Kitchen enjoying a skinny latte (with biscotti) in the company of two sloppy green-blazer types who looked like they could handle a dinner or three. Probably just a chat about John Egan. I mean, what in the name of jazus would Eoin Hand know?  

As you are going down the road of resurrecting previous manager to take over. Suggesting Eoin Hand is as pointless of talking about Martin O'Neill.
Gee Artie, I paid you the compliment of believing your question was rhetorical. But that's just me, seeing the good in everyone. Athbhliain faoi mhaise duit, a chara. 
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 10:23pm
Martin O’Neil on The Reset podcast talking about mental health and the stresses of management 

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 7:24pm
Read his autobiography.   Poor read like many footballers autobiographies.   No insight into Clough or Taylor and just breezes through the interesting parts of his career.  Literally only gave Ireland a few pages and discusses nothing of any interest.  No game plans or his tactical thoughts on how we beat Germany or Italy.  Nothing.  More a ''we beat Italy and then played France only to lose out 2-1 but what a great achievement it was for us.  The End.''
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

No game plans or tactical thoughts 

Sounds about right to be fair.
1874eire View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1874eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 7:00pm

Read his autobiography.   Poor read like many footballers autobiographies.   No insight into Clough or Taylor and just breezes through the interesting parts of his career.  Literally only gave Ireland a few pages and discusses nothing of any interest.  No game plans or his tactical thoughts on how we beat Germany or Italy.  Nothing.  More a ''we beat Italy and then played France only to lose out 2-1 but what a great achievement it was for us.  The End.''

Yeah I'd have to agree. As a Villa fan I was looking forward to reading that chapter but there was little enough of interest. Says little of interest, let alone anything controversial. For example, he mentions James Mccleans stance in regard to the poppy at one stage but never dwells on it or offers his opinion on the matter,  just moves on to the next subject. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by 1874eire 1874eire wrote:

Yeah I'd have to agree. As a Villa fan I was looking forward to reading that chapter but there was little enough of interest. Says little of interest, let alone anything controversial. For example, he mentions James Mccleans stance in regard to the poppy at one stage but never dwells on it or offers his opinion on the matter,  just moves on to the next subject. 

Yes you are right.  When I read that sentence I was expecting somethign along the lines of ''being from Derry myself I understood James position but ultimately decided to wear it myself. etc..  Even that would have been a bland answer!  But nothing.

What I took from the whole book is how insecure and narky he was his whole career and how he frequently fell out with managers, chairmen and owners. 

Even though I wasn't particuarly enamoured with him he had a fascinating career as a player and manager and thought there would be some good insights as to how Clough had Forest punching above their weight and how he then got the likes of Wycombe, Leicester and Celtic playing above themselves.
The book gave nothing away.  Then thought when I go to the Ireland chapter he would have a few pot shots but it didnt bar the one sentence about Andrews and the press.  No insight as to what he said in his team talks or his tactical approach.  It was one long bland summary ''we won the Coca Cola cup with a late goal.  A great achievement'' lots of words but said nothing.

My opinion of his management style hasn't changed since reading the book.  His forte I am sure is inspirational words and team talks that can make a player feel 10ft tall for the fever pitch games.  There is very little tactics or sophistication I'd say. A pure motivator.  Like Clough when he lost Taylor, O'Neill lost a lot of the magic once Robertson left his side and only had his motivation  skills to fall back on.  Robertson did most of the donkey work.

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 8:02pm

Does every chapter end with ‘ needless to say I had the last laugh ‘ 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 8:07pm
Agree with the above. I bought it to read about Celtic and Ireland and ending up enjoying the bits about his playing career more. Rangers having his wife and daughter turfed out their hotel was about as exciting as it got.

Will end up getting pulped 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Does every chapter end with ‘ needless to say I had the last laugh ‘ 

Close.  Close.

One particular chapter on Sunderland ended with and I paraphrase ''they sacked me. They were relegated shortly after''. 

The Ireland one ended with ''Andrews is now finding out getting results is not so easy.  Luckily he has been given more than ample time.''

The whole book smacked of childish bitterness and tryign to portray how good he was and how things always fell apart once he left/was sacked.

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 8:54pm

Incoming……..

Edited by 9fingers - 01 Feb 2023 at 8:54pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 416417418419>
  Share Topic