You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 415416417418419>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Got his book as a present for Chriatmas. Only on the first chapter and he claims he is from a staunch nationalisy background (which he is) so surprising to hear him state he now considers himself Northern Irish because he got some criticism for his job as manager (The same as Trap got or Kerr or Stan etc)
Nordies are a strange bunch.

I dont think Mick or Stan or Kerr now claim to be other nationalities becaise they got professional criticism in the press
Do you believe we would have a better chance to salvage something from the Euros qualifiers with MON in charge? Or would you prefer full steam ahead with Stephen Kenny? 
Sponsored Links

Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Got his book as a present for Chriatmas. Only on the first chapter and he claims he is from a staunch nationalisy background (which he is) so surprising to hear him state he now considers himself Northern Irish because he got some criticism for his job as manager (The same as Trap got or Kerr or Stan etc)

I dont think Mick or Stan or Kerr now claim to be other nationalities becaise they got professional criticism in the press
Do you believe we would have a better chance to salvage something from the Euros qualifiers with MON in charge? Or would you prefer full steam ahead with Stephen Kenny? 

We would have a far better chance under MoN as its clear as day for even Kennys biggest fans he is well out his depth. However, even if there was no bad blood from MoN it would be a terrible backwards appointment. Brilliant manager for us who should have left after the Denmark game. Brilliant period but had naturally ran its course.

With the current crop of players, now is more important than ever that we get a decent top class manager (which is near on impossible in the current climate). 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 2:14pm

Well if he was the pre 2018 MON he might.  The 2018+ version was the worst football in the history of soccer.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 2:26pm

Not sure what O'Neill's quirks have to do with "Nordies". He's just an oddball, but easily parting with their Irishness is probably the most nonsensical thing you could accuse Irish people in the north of.
We're decent enough..
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

We would have a far better chance under MoN as its clear as day for even Kennys biggest fans he is well out his depth. However, even if there was no bad blood from MoN it would be a terrible backwards appointment. Brilliant manager for us who should have left after the Denmark game. Brilliant period but had naturally ran its course.

With the current crop of players, now is more important than ever that we get a decent top class manager (which is near on impossible in the current climate). 
Good post, Roberto. I might query why in the current scenario any dumping of Kenny would be regressive -  but MON has said he's available and, whatever his detractors spout, he'd be  a monumental upgrade on the current sh*t fest. 
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 2:43pm

Good post, Roberto. I might query why in the current scenario any dumping of Kenny would be regressive -  but MON has said he's available and, whatever his detractors spout, he'd be  a monumental upgrade on the current sh*t fest. 

No thanks, do you remember how utterly vile we were under Martin O'Nil. Utter scutter. Highly conservative, anti-football,. 19% possession against Georgia, and he managed to get into scraps with Tony O'Donoghue of all people. He was a lucky general, but once that luck ran out he was found out.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 2:45pm
He also beat the world champions and then took a point off them away from home, he also beat Italy and got us to the knock out rounds of the Euro's.

He's one of very few managers who actually qualified for a major tournament.

Having said that re-hiring him would be a backward step that is never going to happen.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He also beat the world champions and then took a point off them away from home, he also beat Italy and got us to the knock out rounds of the Euro's.

Having said that re-hiring him would be a backward step that is never going to happen.

It's unlikely to happen, but rehiring MON for the qualifiers in the current circumstances would absolutely not be a backward step. His record, under any scrutiny, screams he is overwhelmingly better qualified than Kenny to take the campaign. Your analysis of MON's achievements is timely and convincing but your perceived backward-step comment is, in effect, an endorsement of Kenny. 

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

100%

I wouldn't have minded us getting Michael O'Neill in tbh. I know our group is a lot more difficult but he's going to have the North more competitive and a lot closer in qualifying next year then Kenny will have with us imo. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 3:34pm

Well if he was the pre 2018 MON he might.  The 2018+ version was the worst football in the history of soccer.
So you'd stick with SK. If that's your opinion then that's your opinion. Could you please confirm you're being serious, sometimes it's hard to tell. 
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 3:43pm
If the alternative to Stephrn Kenny is Martin o Neill no thanks 

And his comments on his nationality is frankly perplexing embarrassing and a disgrace but as he’s an ex Celtic manager he will get a bye from plenty 

He can return his Irish passport while he’s at it 

Edited by Newryrep - 30 Dec 2022 at 3:44pm
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by dangere_here dangere_here wrote:

No thanks, do you remember how utterly vile we were under Martin O'Nil. Utter scutter. Highly conservative, anti-football,. 19% possession against Georgia, and he managed to get into scraps with Tony O'Donoghue of all people. He was a lucky general, but once that luck ran out he was found out.
I remember he got us to the Euros and then the last 16. Who gives a toss about that prima donna hack O'Donoghue. Totally irrelevant. Have a Happy Utter Scutter New Year. 
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 3:47pm

Originally posted by dangere_here dangere_here wrote:

I remember he got us to the Euros and then the last 16. Who gives a toss about that prima donna hack O'Donoghue. Totally irrelevant. Have a Happy Utter Scutter New Year. 

Hi Martin
Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 5:49pm
Whatever the merits or not of O'Neill's time in charge he's not coming back, I cannot see the FAI trying to get him back, and so this lauding of his management is a safe space to go way overboard and to say he was in fact the footballing messiah we just didn't appreciate at the time.

Whoever is in charge for the next few year, at least, has to cope with a pool of mostly very mediocre players. Several that we all had hopes for have drifted backwards (Knight, Connolly), become injury prone (Idah), the current squad aging without high quality replacements. We know all of this of course.
For me, Kenny is at least trying to coach the national team into being able to play together as footballers. Sometimes that's been two steps forward, three steps back.
I've read a lot that O'Neill didn't do coaching, in fact didn't organize the team tactically for games, he seems to have relied on the mystical powers of the "great man" leadership style. He protected that mystique like a dog with a bone, but it's gone now.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 7:33pm
What's Eoin Hand up to?
It would damage this forums' reputation
tapfit2004 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

And his comments on his nationality is frankly perplexing embarrassing and a disgrace but as he’s an ex Celtic manager he will get a bye from plenty 

I support celtic and was at loads of matches when he was manager in Glasgow and I have no time for him at all these days. He got well paid for his time with Ireland and was successful in getting to the euros. Unless some generous billionaire offers to pay all his wages he ain't coming back. No way he would even consider the money that Kenny is on. 

Edited by tapfit2004 - 30 Dec 2022 at 10:13pm
Let Christy Take It.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 2:22am
Originally posted by tapfit2004 tapfit2004 wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

I support celtic and was at loads of matches when he was manager in Glasgow and I have no time for him at all these days. He got well paid for his time with Ireland and was successful in getting to the euros. Unless some generous billionaire offers to pay all his wages he ain't coming back. No way he would even consider the money that Kenny is on. 
Shameful. Celtic fan stabs legendary manager in the back. You're worse than those ingrates in Dunfermline. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 3:27am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

What's Eoin Hand up to?

Very well-timed question, Artie, given who we face in the intimidating Euro qualifiers ahead. Just to clarify. Is that the Eoin Hand who beat Netherlands 2-1 in a WC qualifier? The same guy who beat France 3-2 in a WC qualifier? Him again beating Switzerland 3-0 in a WC qualifier? The same former Drumcondra icon who swept minnows Malta aside 8-0 and Iceland 0-3 in Euros?

Is that the Eoin of your query? You'll find him in the picturesque North Kerry town of Moyvane. He was last seen just down the road in Lizzy's Little Kitchen enjoying a skinny latte (with biscotti) in the company of two sloppy green-blazer types who looked like they could handle a dinner or three. Probably just a chat about John Egan. I mean, what in the name of jazus would Eoin Hand know?  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 415416417418419>
  Share Topic