You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 377378379380381 419>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 3:59pm
For me the final straw was away to Georgia, I was stunned by how poor they were. By the end, the last 2 games, I don't think I've ever seen a team that bad. Panama in the World Cup just gone spring to mind maybe. 
Sponsored Links

Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 4:17pm
he gave us some great times for which I will be grateful. We could have been 3up and cruising against Denmark. When they scored he was found out big time. He couldn’t go and win a game he had too. His whole mantra was keep it tight and create a few chances and score. Worked brilliantly for him. SOmetimesrode his luck.when he needed to score against denmark he was found out badly . Lost players after that. Glad to see him go he’s an ignoramous 
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

he gave us some great times for which I will be grateful. We could have been 3up and cruising against Denmark. When they scored he was found out big time. He couldn’t go and win a game he had too. His whole mantra was keep it tight and create a few chances and score. Worked brilliantly for him. SOmetimesrode his luck.when he needed to score against denmark he was found out badly . Lost players after that. Glad to see him go he’s an ignoramous 

LOLLOLLOL

Funny how this post starts reasonably balanced and finishes with that line.

I agree with it btw
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

'Agent Marty' led us to competative victories over the World Champions, Italy, Wales, Bosnia and Austria..all of whom were ranked above us. He got us to the last 16 in the Euros and a World Cup play off.

Yes the wheels have come off wagon in the last 12 months and it was time to go but he gave us a really enjoyable first 3 years following Ireland. History will be kind to him me thinks 

Absolutely - in totality his reign was a success. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 4:46pm
This line from a lot of ex players and pundits that O'Neill "just didn't have the players" is starting to get annoying.

We've just been played off the park at home by a team with players from Burton Albion, Kilmarnock and Oxford among their ranks.

Its almost as if we should accept playing some of the worst football of any team in Europe and that O'Neill has been getting the best out of them the past 12 months.
McCarthyy21 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McCarthyy21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 5:38pm
Thanks for the memories, but thank god he's gone.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 7:18pm
Matt Doherty on RTE 2FM now spilling the beans on the state of the set-up. 
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

What’s he saying?
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

What’s he saying?

Will try transcribe when it’s finished. Decent interview.

Training consisted of 5 aside and 11 aside kick arounds. Players told to interpret formations themselves etc. 

Was asked what Roy Keane did, Matt just basically said he did nothing. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 8:05pm
what he say?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 8:17pm

Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

What’s he saying?

Will try transcribe when it’s finished. Decent interview.

Training consisted of 5 aside and 11 aside kick arounds. Players told to interpret formations themselves etc. 

Was asked what Roy Keane did, Matt just basically said he did nothing. 

When you played with Ireland, you didn't really have that much coaching. It was more go and play a little five-a-side game or an eleven side game and then that would be it. So you could lead all the way up to the game, maybe the day before a game and you would do a few set-pieces here and there and then you would go into a game and you were thinking to yourself 'what shape we are going to play.'

You'd have a few players thinking, 'aw, I think we are going to play this shape' or you might have someone else thinking 'I think it might be this one.' You can't really have that, especially at international football, people not really sure on what their role is the next day

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 8:19pm
f**king hell Ouch
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 8:23pm
Luke Edwards then came on and defended MON to death.

Implied Christie was a better player than Doherty and that the only reason Doherty was having a go was because he never played.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 8:26pm

''When you played with Ireland, you didn't really have that much coaching. It was more go and play a little five-a-side game or an eleven side game and then that would be it. So you could lead all the way up to the game, maybe the day before a game and you would do a few set-pieces here and there and then you would go into a game and you were thinking to yourself 'what shape we are going to play.'

You'd have a few players thinking, 'aw, I think we are going to play this shape' or you might have someone else thinking 'I think it might be this one.' You can't really have that, especially at international football, people not really sure on what their role is the next day.

OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 8:28pm
I find the list of replacements, so far, considering we have about 1 year to qualify, as uninspiring as you can get.

Considering Martin o Neill was the first manager in 20 years to beat a team higher seeded than us, and on a couple of occasions, the list is worrying.

However I do accept  how it has all come to an end. I still think it was better the devil we knew than dont know
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 8:29pm
I was talking to someone who coaches  underage football whi attended a closed to the public training session before the Denmark game.  He said the training was a joke.

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 8:32pm

Luke Edwards then came on and defended MON to death.

Implied Christie was a better player than Doherty and that the only reason Doherty was having a go was because he never played.

There's a surprise, MON's rentboy defends him to the hilt LOL
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

I find the list of replacements, so far, considering we have about 1 year to qualify, as uninspiring as you can get.

Considering Martin o Neill was the first manager in 20 years to beat a team higher seeded than us, and on a couple of occasions, the list is worrying.

However I do accept  how it has all come to an end. I still think it was better the devil we knew than dont know

Hi Luke.

fair enough he got some big scalps but he had outrageous luck and the changing format of the Euros made his achievements look a lot better than they were.  Name me the good performances in 5 yrs in charge.  I would concede Bosnia home, Austria away 2nd half, Sweden, Italy and France. All the other performances were utter toxicity but he got very lucky in the 2 Germany games, Wales away, and a load of other good fortune went his way.  When the luck ran out he was totally exposed as a coach.

How could you stick with a man who has seen the performances free fall since he took over?
http://www.punditarena.com/features/rbarrett/statistical-martin-oneill/

The last year is the worst football I have ever seen from a ''professional team''

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 377378379380381 419>
  Share Topic