Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 361362363364365 419>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 12:14am
I’d be interested to know what the plan in in 2019. This year we had the Nations League and friendly matches. It has been as bad a year as we could have feared for. One win, a few draws and a few defeats. Very few goals scored, not a huge number conceded and a lot of players tried. Rice and Kelly refuse call ups, Arter has industrial relations issues, Coleman, McCarthy, Brady, Maguire, Walters and Long all have injury problems. 

In 2019 is the hope to revisit the Rice and Kelly situation, hope all the injuries clear up, Arter re-establish himself, use Coleman and Doherty in coordination as opposed to competition, hope Long ends the goal drought, or Hogan rediscover his Brentford form, or Alan Judge wash away the injuries of the past seasons. Or implement a system which clearly uses players in their normal position.

I don’t believe the methods used this term can follow us into 2019, and MON will know that resolute 0-0 draws will only get us so far before we either concede in an important game, or score and need to implement a system which suits the defence of a lead. 
Sponsored Links

Guf10 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
...fond of the jar.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guf10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 12:24am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I’d be interested to know what the plan in in 2019. This year we had the Nations League and friendly matches. It has been as bad a year as we could have feared for. One win, a few draws and a few defeats. Very few goals scored, not a huge number conceded and a lot of players tried. Rice and Kelly refuse call ups, Arter has industrial relations issues, Coleman, McCarthy, Brady, Maguire, Walters and Long all have injury problems. 

In 2019 is the hope to revisit the Rice and Kelly situation, hope all the injuries clear up, Arter re-establish himself, use Coleman and Doherty in coordination as opposed to competition, hope Long ends the goal drought, or Hogan rediscover his Brentford form, or Alan Judge wash away the injuries of the past seasons. Or implement a system which clearly uses players in their normal position.

I don’t believe the methods used this term can follow us into 2019, and MON will know that resolute 0-0 draws will only get us so far before we either concede in an important game, or score and need to implement a system which suits the defence of a lead. 

There is no plan, there was no plan for 2018 either.
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 12:24am

This is all futile as long as O'Neill remains. He's lost the fans. He's lost the press. I would say he's lost a fair few players (with Christie like decisions being made). 

This is just going to get worse. Everyone knows this. Why? Cause something this bad never gets better. Managers don't turn this type of scenario around. 

Edited by Banjaxed - 20 Nov 2018 at 12:31am
DalyerRegular View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DalyerRegular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 12:40am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Dan McDonnell on twitter....

"O'Neill argued that Cyrus Christie grew into the game 'really strongly' after a deliberate start. Sounds like he's keen to continue with him in midfield. Would like to know what the midfielders on the bench make of that..."

Ermm
brings Meyler, Williams and Arter over and gives them 0 minutes between the two gamesDead
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 1:27am
NYLoch Garman View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYLoch Garman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 1:29am
Have only ever posted I think twice in 4 from years watching this forum from afar. But tonight I feel completely compelled, almost in a sense that I need comfort in other folks who “get it”.

I lost my Dad last August and I’m a long time emigrant, I managed to get off a transatlantic flight for maybe his final hour, which as anyone here who has experienced that will tell you, it’s both horrific, life-changing and incredibly special all at the same time....

To put all in context, my old man introduced me to the Irish team, it was Spain at home, we won 1-0 circa 1989, I was about 8 years old and from that day henceforth, this team has been my love. 

Fast forward, emigrated to US and this team was my connection to my Dad and we’d text during all games, it was some of our greatest joys of all time. Added that to living overseas and the boys in green was the one constant in my world - as much as life changed, I always had the Irish football team and the memories.

Without getting too personal, I remember a few moments after my Dad slipped away thinking “Ireland games will be so hard to watch for ever more and I’ll always be thinking of Dad” But I resolved to keep the flame alive for him and pass that same love along to my kids..

But this is why I’m so angry and dismayed tonight, over the past year, I just don’t care anymore and I hate it..I hate that the FAI let it come to this, I hate that management team don’t seem to care and most of all I hate that this connection that we all feel is now numb...

Sorry for rant-just needed to vent! Please God we see better days and have the chance to pass the love of this great institution along to future generations. It’s a hard sell to any kid now, which is such a shame. 

RKeane View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKeane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 3:43am

f**k Kelly, he was called up and he refused, next.
YESSSS! IT'S THERE
Green rebel View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 7:35am
Did Kelly actually refuse a call up,im not sure was this ever clarified properly or was it a case of miscommunication again,which seems to be common practice with this management set-up.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 8:12am
Its an absoloute no brainer that he needs to call up Crowley and even Jack Byrne. We have zero creativity at the moment.
Dr. Pat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 8:50am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Dr. Pat Dr. Pat wrote:

I'm done. Not going to another game or even watching the senior team on TV while he's there. I'll check back in in Apri 2020. Peace.

Close the door on your way out Thumbs Up

Have I offended you somehow? The current set up is toxic and damaging Irish football. Supporting it in any way, shape or form is at best futile and at worst contributory to the mess we find ourselves in. I attend Ireland underage and LOI games and will continue to do so (and contribute on this forum re- those topics). 
Geremi has let Kilbane in here, cross comes out to Holland, 1:1!!
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 9:08am
Christie in midfield is enough for him to be burned at a stake. He has lost the plot. Seriously.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 9:08am
O Neill still talking about lacking a goal scorer LOL hes f**king deluded but credit to him he’s playing Delaney & plenty of bellend fans. 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 9:10am

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I'm done. Not going to another game or even watching the senior team on TV while he's there. I'll check back in in Apri 2020. Peace.

Close the door on your way out Thumbs Up

Have I offended you somehow? The current set up is toxic and damaging Irish football. Supporting it in any way, shape or form is at best futile and at worst contributory to the mess we find ourselves in. I attend Ireland underage and LOI games and will continue to do so (and contribute on this forum re- those topics). 
No you’re not allowed comment on here DrPat, unless you wholeheartedly pledge your allegiance to the senior team and comment positively on it here
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 9:32am
Good man Pat  Vote with your feet. If they aren't getting the €€€ then it makes the decision for them.

They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 9:35am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Good man Pat  Vote with your feet. If they aren't getting the €€€ then it makes the decision for them.

I get the sentiment but am struggling to think of an example when that's actually worked in bringing about long term change....
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 9:37am
Fair enough Drum but I'm struggling to see how keeping up with this will force any change either. People can't even vent their feelings on a banner ffs
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 9:38am
It will all go quiet now for the next few days, everyone will put international football to the back of their mind for a few months and the rot will continue in March. If this was club football he would be gone but because international football is so broken up, Delaney knows they will just take flak for a few days either side of the games and then everyone will forget for a few months.

Is there anything as fans we can do to put pressure on Delaney?! The draw for the euro qualifiers in Dublin next month would be a good opportunity to give those flags that were confiscated in Aarhus a run out!
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2018 at 9:38am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Fair enough Drum but I'm struggling to see how keeping up with this will force any change either. People can't even vent their feelings on a banner ffs

I hear ya.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 361362363364365 419>
  Share Topic