Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 330331332333334 420>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 8:37am
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

The difference is we have taken 4 points from a side who this time round were ranked two levels of seed above us instead of one below.

You've repeatedly badgered Mon's record of no wins in his first eight games, most of which were friendlies and involved experimental formations and debutants. Would Trap have handed a competitive debut in the game just gone? Not a chance.

I've been watching Ireland for four decades and save for small periods we've almost exclusively played pretty much the same way. What's got us through down the years has often been simply having more desire and effort than some of our better skilled opponents. Clearly Mon and Keane have this in spades, hence our recent resurgence. Long may it continue.

It's a long way from a resurgence, it's 1 win in 5 games, and 16 wins from 40 overall, less than half. 4 years down the line, we don't know what our best team is, we're still experimenting, and the friendlies are still carrying coefficient points that we're not getting a lot of.

Yes I agree, we have played in much the same way for the past 30 years, but that was not considered acceptable with Trap. And if it wasn't then, it shouldn't be now. One of the finest coaches in world football had to be got rid of for Wycombe Wanderers finest, to get us to play "nice" football with our best players, which hasn't happened.

Im not anti-MON, but when the public demanded change, what we got was more of the same. I just highlight the hypocrisy of it.
Sponsored Links

AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 8:36am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

FAO Zizu:   Absolutely

My 'friend' also says yes.....
@AntrimMan85
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 1:34am
I hear Martin and Roy brought the lads to Harry Ramsdens last Saturday for a giant sized haddock and chips with a sweet to follow
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 1:20am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

So to sum up: 

Hoofing under Trapattoni: Didn't get results
Hoofing under MON: Gets results

Fixed for you there Thumbs Up

Btw. Didn't you call for MON's sacking after we beat Georgia? I know it was the ugliest brand of football in the history of football, but still, calling for a sacking after a win. 

And you have the nerve to brand specific Managers as 'Negative'

Edited by coyne - 16 Jun 2017 at 1:22am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 1:11am
So to sum up: 

Hoofing under Trapattoni: Sackable offence
Hoofing under MON: Prudent

deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

David Brent over at Celtic has said he'd like to manage Ireland at some point in his career, does anyone think we'd be hoofing the ball with him as manager? No.

So what's with this 'it's the only way we know how to play' bollixology 

No, we wouldn't be hoofing the ball. 

Next question, also an important one; Would it work ?? 
And where is the evidence to say it would work ? 

I accept there isn't a definitive answer to either of those questions, but with managerial tenures in general being so short these days, pragmatism tends to be an important factor. In an ideal world, a Rogers or Rogers type would come in & transform everything, but until someone tries it, and both the public & the FAI have the patience to persist with it if it does go wrong for a while, its just a theory. I wouldn't ever underestimate the fickleness of either the fans or the FAI , a few 3-2 losses while playing decent football would change the minds of an element of both pretty rapidly. 

Going back to one of the current critics in Kerr, whose underage teams played good football, and he is a consistent advocate of playing on the deck etc in his columns, which would all be well & good if we couldn't remember that under him, we played in much the same way as what we are playing now, similar to what we played before him, and probably will play in the future. If he was trying to get us to play a new expansive game, it firstly escaped my notice, and secondly, was unsuccessful in terms of qualification. The last bit is important, not least to the lads who count the money in the FAI. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

There's something I don't quite get re this discussion about Martin O'Neill.

As it seems to me, he has a pretty limited bunch of players, but despite doing at least as well (results-wise) as could be expected, he still comes in for stick from some quarters for the style of play he uses.

Which would be fair enough, were he consistently ignoring top quality ball players in favour of cloggers, or if ROI had a tradition of "Brazilian" football. But as we all know, neither applies.

What makes me say this is because our wee team has similar standard players and utilises a similarly pragmatic playing style, yet there is nothing but absolute pride in the team and manager.

I mean, had we drawn out in Baku, where we were mostly outplayed by what should be an inferior team, we'd still have accepted it. The fact that we snatched a win at the end was merely the icing on the cake.

Meanwhile, as for the game itself, a passing neutral spectator said to me that he thought it "awful".

And he was Scottish!

Spot on.

I think there'll always be more of an expectation for us as Ireland were always at least competitive for a 2nd place finish even during the Kerr/Stan days.

N.I. declined in that regard for the guts of two decades so there still is that Jack Charltonesque expectation whereas N.I. have more or less raised themselves up from nearly European minnows to winning a qualifying group as 5th seeds.

Your lot are definitely a lot more appreciative of their manager but I suppose its all relative given expectations.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
raclle View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

I love points

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raclle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 11:00pm
I still reckon we play better with the ball on the ground. We had an excellent Euros playing that way bar one game against Belgium where we played hooofball and got hammered. Was it the diamond we used and it was pretty effective? Anyway if we play like that more often and are consistent we would be winning games against the likes of the other three in our group at home anyway and if its not working we can resort to what we did in the last 15 mins of last weeks game.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

David Brent over at Celtic has said he'd like to manage Ireland at some point in his career, does anyone think we'd be hoofing the ball with him as manager? No.

So what's with this 'it's the only way we know how to play' bollixology 

Brent mused: ''yes one day I'd like to manage The Eire''

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 7:02pm

While it won't win any style awards, going direct isn't a crime. If that's the plan then great but the team needs to be set up to do it effectively. Big men, Midfielder runners and lads with good engines are key. Pumping it to a lone isolated front man and expecting him to chase down his own flick on for 90 mins is asking for a hiding. Especially against decent teams who will keep the ball, move it fast and will wear us down.
El Puto Amo
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 6:45pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 6:35pm
It isn't a broad thread, although it will become one if you keep bringing politics and under 20 World Cups into it.
Now you are asking me questions I have already answered before you went off on another tangent.

"The latter is very true and it isn't just true of England, although it certainly is true there. Size and strength has never been more important in football."

Football players are big now, not just in England. Physical characteristics are more important in the game now than ever before.
The only thing vaguely relevant was your point that the academies are truly international now, a point so obvious that it shouldn't need to be made

"But I really don't think you can blame the Academies for not employing some form of Positive Discrimination in favour of ROI kids, can you?" 

I presume this qualifies as humour where you come? 

Meanwhile; It was you who posted unrelated pictures of a politician, it was you who posted unrelated pictures of your manager getting the bumps  and it was you who has gone off on a tangent about academies. It was definitely you making distasteful jokes about discrimination.

Edited by pre Madonna - 15 Jun 2017 at 6:39pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Yes, England just won it. Players also don't stop developing until 21. From what I saw they were bigger than their opponents in most games, did you see the difference between England and Scotland in the tunnel.
This has bugger all to do with what was being discussed, but footballers now are, on average, bigger than twenty years ago and that is most definitely the case in England. Nobody mentioned technique in academies or anything else their Terence.
You seem determined to drag this thread off topic, either by discussing Nordie politics or Spurs academy or whatever.
In what is a wide-ranging thread, I chose to comment on one aspect, namely the standard/quality of player open to Martin O'Neill.

Several posters "blame" the English academies, from where the majority of ROI players come at one stage or another, for not producing technically proficient players, merely hulking great kids.

Imo, that is just a lazy stereotype. Or do you really think top foreign managers at clubs like Chelsea, City, MU, Liverpool and Spurs etc are completely happy to see the best kids recruited from all around the world at huge expense, turned into muscle-bound cloggers and hoofers?

Or that their German/French/Dutch etc U-20's counterparts are all puny?

Bizarre, truly bizarre.

Instead, the real problem imo is that no matter how much top-quality coaching and development a player gets in his late teens or early 20's, if he's not given the chance to test his skills in proper, competitive adult matches when he's 21, 22, 23 etc, then he will never get those years back and become by 27 or 28 the top player he lookd like being at 18.

Meanwhile, not only do the best ROI kids suffer under that syndrome, but because the Academies are recruiting from all over the world now, the slightly less-than-best ROI kids don't even get their chance in the top academies, but have to try to make it via Football League clubs.

But I really don't think you can blame the Academies for not employing some form of Positive Discrimination in favour of ROI kids, can you?

[Meanwhile, it was not I who introduced the topic of Michael, or Brendan, taking over from Martin; nor I who picked up on the scarf in the MO'N "bumps" picture; nor I who first made the comment:
"English academies are producing one type of player only. It's been said so many times that if Xavi, Iniesta and Messi were English you would never have heard of them", so if yoiu want to know who's really dragging this thread off-topic, I suggest you look elsewhere.]
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 6:11pm

Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

I don't mind as long as we can keep MON. I like the MON as they say in Belfast. Then when we get Michael from the nordies we have continuity MON.
Michael's only 47 - like Trapattoni, he won't be applying for his "FAI Retirement Pension Plan, sponsored by Denis O'Brien" for another couple of decades.

At least. LOL

In the meantime, though, we've got another Nordie O'Neill you can have:

Now that Stormont's suspended for the foreseeable, she should have the time...Wink

Nah I would rather have Arlene.Image result for nick cotton
Nah, that's her sister.

But she does look like Arlene (below):

Lads would yas give Michelle a dart??? Asking for a friend
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 5:53pm

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

It isn't the manager, it is the whole system. That is why we produce so few technically proficient players, you can't expect a manager of an international team, who sees them once every few months, to turn them into something they are not. 
Jack Charlton had McGrath, Lawrenson, Beglin, Brady, Whelan, Sheedy, Sheridan, Houghton etc and still played long ball.

English academies are producing one type of player only.
It's been said so many times that if Xavi, Iniesta and Messi were English you would never have heard of them.

He was obsessed with one way of playing and the results backed him up. That is an entirely separate debate and for elsewhere.
The latter is very true and it isn't just true of England, although it certainly is true there. Size and strength has never been more important in football.
England have just won the U-20 World Cup.

Since the Academy system has become established at big clubs with foreign managers like Chelsea and Man City, the standards (inc. technical) are extremely high - and not just the foreign lads, but the locals, too.

But one of the problems - arguably the biggest - for English clubs is that the best youngsters at 19 or 20 do not get a chance to play in the first team over the next, crucial 3 or 4 years. Instead, the demand for instant, perpetual success means that their clubs instead sign established 26 or 27 year olds from wherever, use them for two or three seasons, then replace them with more 26 or 27 year olds.

Meanwhile, the youngsters themselves have little incentive to move on, when they're picking up £20k or even £30k per week, before they've even made their first team debut.

However, on the rare occasion when a team/manager is prepared to trust the youngsters, English football can produce players of the highest technical ability eg Man U under Ferguson, Spurs under Pochettino
Yes, England just won it. Players also don't stop developing until 21. From what I saw they were bigger than their opponents in most games, did you see the difference between England and Scotland in the tunnel.
This has bugger all to do with what was being discussed, but footballers now are, on average, bigger than twenty years ago and that is most definitely the case in England. Nobody mentioned technique in academies or anything else their Terence.
You seem determined to drag this thread off topic, either by discussing Nordie politics or Spurs academy or whatever.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 5:53pm
There's something I don't quite get re this discussion about Martin O'Neill.

As it seems to me, he has a pretty limited bunch of players, but despite doing at least as well (results-wise) as could be expected, he still comes in for stick from some quarters for the style of play he uses.

Which would be fair enough, were he consistently ignoring top quality ball players in favour of cloggers, or if ROI had a tradition of "Brazilian" football. But as we all know, neither applies.

What makes me say this is because our wee team has similar standard players and utilises a similarly pragmatic playing style, yet there is nothing but absolute pride in the team and manager.

I mean, had we drawn out in Baku, where we were mostly outplayed by what should be an inferior team, we'd still have accepted it. The fact that we snatched a win at the end was merely the icing on the cake.

Meanwhile, as for the game itself, a passing neutral spectator said to me that he thought it "awful".

And he was Scottish!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 5:39pm
Lets hoof it from minute 1.  Lets get 200 long balls launched onto Johnny Walters head.  None of yer poncy passing sh*te.

http://cached.imagescaler.hbpl.co.uk/resize/scaleWidth/743/offlinehbpl.hbpl.co.uk/news/OMC/F2028AEE-B215-8C6F-D66D9130F8716DE0.JPG

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 330331332333334 420>
  Share Topic