You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 304305306307308 419>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Nearly everything coming back to Clough and other completely irrelevant stuff

Just finished listening to the whole thing and thats all I got from it..

..and it says it all really, as good as a manger Clough was back in the day he retired 25 years ago with his best stint in charge being closer to 40.

Its quite clear not only from this interview, but from others as well as the displays on the pitch he very much still basis his 'style' on Clough which is completely irrelevant in the modern game.

It doesn't help he has Roy as his right hand man either, having worked under the same Clough regime and then a similar regime under Ferguson ..who was really the last of the dying bred of that type of manager.

Sponsored Links

Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 10:37pm
MON met with Troy Parrott tonight, as he watched Alan Judge play in Brentford's game vs Cheltenham.
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 11:07pm
shocking stuff from the Derry Dinosaor
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 11:21pm
holy fk he is some bluffer Embarrassed

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 11:25pm
Problem with Martin is because our players are pretty poor we need a manager who really does their work on the training pitch and has a plan.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 12:24am
when O Neill started waffling about Ireland not having the players to qualify for every tournament he should have turned it and asked him whether he thought his salary was justified for a team not expecting to qualify - granted it’s the scumbags in Abbottstown that dish out the salaries. 

He’s not as brash as Mourinho in defending his record but he has the feels he deserves the same entitlement to respect
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 11:43am
A lot in that interview I would have liked to have pulled up MON on.  I will listen back to it fully when I have a chance but from my first listen here are a few things I have trouble with:

Asked about picking the team last minute:

His response was the players might not sleep the night before to other excuses such as 8 of the players will pribably know they are playing. Other excuses was Clough did it or Ferguson.

Firstly players play every week. Is he saying that they all have sleepless nights the night before as they know they will be playing on a saturday for their clubs? Ridiculous explanation.

What about the other 3 Martin who havent a scoobie if they are playing and havent time to sort out communication with their teammates and prepare themselves mentally?

So what if Clough did it 40 years ago! This is 2018!  

Whwn asked about the lack of detail on the training ground I can hardly recall what he actually said as it was so much bluster and waffle that he never really addressed the point. I think he said Clough did no work on corners and they scored a lot from corners. Yes Martin. In 1979. All of 40 yrs ago.

Asked about the lack of innovative set pieces (one of my biggest criticisms) he moaned the lack of time to prepare. Thats great but its the same for every other international team and yet somehow they are able to prepare some routines. Northern Ireland had one or two. He has been in the job 5 yrs and I have never seen anytjing other than a lump into the box. Is he saying he hadnt even a few hours to spare in 5 yrs to prepare something?

Asked about some players quotes about the lack of training ground work. E.g. Bellamy on corners.  He went onto say they are professional footballers and should know what to do. Good delivery and attack the ball.  What about the defensive side Martin? We have been caught cold time after time switching off from corners. E.g. Scotland and Denmark

Asked why he doesnt do much on the training ground he again talks about Clough who was largely absent. Again 40 yrs ago!  As if things havent evolved!!  He probably names his team by typing it on typewriter and thumbtacking it to a notice board.

He then goes onto talk about his achievements as a manager. He has done f**k all. 2 league cups and a Uefa final which Rangers and other small clubs like Fulham and Middlesbrough also achieved in a 2nd rate competition.

Asked about the lack of clearly defined roles I honestly cant remember what he said. He talked yet nothing came out. Must liaten back again to hear if he said anything that remotely answrred the question.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 12:08pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 12:29pm
Did he say in the interview that he doesn't have the time to work on corner routines?
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 12:30pm
Ok wasn't going to post this, but this is an extract from a message I received from a mate of mine who's involved with the FAI on a junior level, from a conversation he had with someone in the know up higher in the FAI, don't slate me for this, I'm only quoting the conversation direct, but it backs up some of the stuff in previous posts.:-

"Heard some stories about that muppet Martin O Neill

Go on?

Apparently he names the team an hour before kick off and leaves the dressing room for the players to decide their own positions. Before one game he only named 10 players and it wasn't noticed until 15 mins before kick off when they went to do their 5v5

f**king hell -

heard he doesn’t do training sessions either

Before the Sweden game in the Euros the four midfielders didn't even know who was left or right and he had told the wrong player to play in the hole players had to fix it

Hahaaaaaaaaaa

Plays 13v13 in training so no one sits down
Keane says nothing except when he abuses Arter he hates Arter for some reason
Training is a farce"
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Howdo Howdo wrote:

Ok wasn't going to post this, but this is an extract from a message I received from a mate of mine who's involved with the FAI on a junior level, from a conversation he had with someone in the know up higher in the FAI, don't slate me for this, I'm only quoting the conversation direct, but it backs up some of the stuff in previous posts.:-

Go on?

Apparently he names the team an hour before kick off and leaves the dressing room for the players to decide their own positions. Before one game he only named 10 players and it wasn't noticed until 15 mins before kick off when they went to do their 5v5

f**king hell -

Before the Sweden game in the Euros the four midfielders didn't even know who was left or right and he had told the wrong player to play in the hole players had to fix it

Hahaaaaaaaaaa

Training is a farce"

Absolutely none of this surprises me 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 12:35pm
He should have gone after the Denmark debacle. That was the time for a clean slate and someone with new ideas to come in. Its only going to get worse.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

Go on?

f**king hell -

Hahaaaaaaaaaa

Training is a farce"

Absolutely none of this surprises me 

Plus 1. 

Robertson was the brains.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 12:40pm
He's meant to be a very smart man O'Neill. Then you hear stories like this throughout his managerial career, and listen to him as a pundit. Contrary to many, I think he's a sh*te pundit and very rarely says anything informative or interesting
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

He's meant to be a very smart man O'Neill. Then you hear stories like this throughout his managerial career, and listen to him as a pundit. Contrary to many, I think he's a sh*te pundit and very rarely says anything informative or interesting

He's smart in the sense that he has convinced the FAI that he's worth a couple of million every year. And he's also a smartarse. I think that's about the limitations of his intelligence. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 12:49pm

Go on?

f**king hell -

Hahaaaaaaaaaa

Training is a farce"

Kin ellLOL

If true that is focking attrocious
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 12:54pm

Go on?

f**king hell -

Hahaaaaaaaaaa

Training is a farce"

aah lads surely it can't be that shambolic?? you would think Keane would have great training sessions seen as he played at Man Utd for so long. surely the training sessions there were of the hightest standard? like some of that stuff sounds too laughable to be true...surely....
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2018 at 12:57pm
Not really.

I attended the open training sessions and thought it was embarrassingly amateurish.

Shots on the keep and a rectangle with man in the middle chasing the ball.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 304305306307308 419>
  Share Topic