You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 299300301302303 419>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 2:36pm
Who in their right mind thinks we're on par with the Swiss? 

Edited by Icy Bread People - 18 Jul 2018 at 2:36pm
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Icy Bread People Icy Bread People wrote:

Who in their right mind thinks we're on par with the Swiss? 

No idea.

These teams being named all have more technically gifted players than us. That's the difference.
Croatia and the Swiss are on a different level in that regard. Denmark would be next, and then Sweden and Iceland too are a level above us
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 2:55pm
I’m not completely convinced that Sweden or Iceland have far better technical players than ourselves, but they sure as hell have a rigid game plan that the players believe in. 

From reading Supples interview, it appears that there is actually a bad attitude and atmosphere amongst the players which has never really existed before for Ireland. 

Even when we’ve previously been poor, you could say that the players gave everything for each other and their country, right now I think a lot of players, particularly Robbie Brady, Jeff Hendrick and Harry Arter owe us alot more than they’ve given. 

Supple even says that players f*ck their dirty kits and stuff on the floor and let the kit man pick it up after them, that’s the kind of bollocks attitude you’d expect from England, France etc. 

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:01pm
Yeah, and it has really held France back...
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Or England. 

We have this perception that we’ve a squad full of genuine, hard-working players when Supple seems to be suggesting that we’ve a few Pre Madonna’s of our own... 
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

I’m not completely convinced that Sweden or Iceland have far better technical players than ourselves, but they sure as hell have a rigid game plan that the players believe in. 

From reading Supples interview, it appears that there is actually a bad attitude and atmosphere amongst the players which has never really existed before for Ireland. 

Even when we’ve previously been poor, you could say that the players gave everything for each other and their country, right now I think a lot of players, particularly Robbie Brady, Jeff Hendrick and Harry Arter owe us alot more than they’ve given. 

Supple even says that players f*ck their dirty kits and stuff on the floor and let the kit man pick it up after them, that’s the kind of bollocks attitude you’d expect from England, France etc. 

Is it a bird?
Is it a plane?
No, it's an aul lad picking up dirty football kit off the dressing room floor
El Puto Amo
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:30pm
LOL
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Is it a bird?
Is it a plane?
No, it's an aul lad picking up dirty football kit off the dressing room floor
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:31pm
LOL

The team spirit in the Irish camp is about the best thing they have going for them in the past few years I'd have thought. Many players said in interviews that they've the team spirit and camaraderie of a club side.

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 18 Jul 2018 at 3:32pm
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:36pm
Shane Supple sees way forward for Republic of Ireland

Bohemians keeper says Ireland can learn lessons from Gareth Southgate’s England
RYAN BYRNE

England have long been the butt of many jokes, but Martin O’Neill and the Republic of Ireland can learn plenty from what Gareth Southgate’s team achieved at the World Cup, according to one member of the last Irish squad. The Bohemians goalkeeper Shane Supple was drafted in for the end-of-season friendlies against France and the USA and wasn’t particularly impressed by what he saw and heard on his first call-up. Supple quit club football in England at the age of 22 because of attitudes in the game over there and, asked if his international call-up had made him reconsider, he replied: “Quite the opposite. It just confirmed to me my decision to come back.”

Supple was on the bench for both the friendlies and there was plenty about the experience that he liked, even though he was rushing back and forth between playing for Bohemians and training with Ireland. He valued chatting over a cup of tea with old friends such as Seamus Coleman, Jon Walters and Shane Long and catching up on what was happening back across the water.

“From what I heard, the attitudes in dressing rooms has gone on to another level, not necessarily in a good way,” says Supple, who left Ipswich Town in 2009. “The camaraderie is so difficult to get over there because there are so many different nationalities. You have lads who don’t really have a love for the club and it’s difficult to build that. Having been brought up in GAA circles it was difficult for me to comprehend how they couldn’t all be fighting for the same cause.”

If that was the extent of it, then it wouldn’t necessarily represent a problem for Ireland, but Supple is uneasy with some of the practices and attitudes on display in the Ireland camp. There were mitigating factors as he points out, in that these were end-of-season friendlies rather than competitive games.

“It’s a tricky one. You have a lot of inexperienced lads coming in who have an opportunity to get capped for Ireland and are hungry. There are other players there who have a lot of caps and had a long and tough season so the friendlies aren’t coming at an ideal time for them.”

Nonetheless, Supple would like to have seen better practices in place, better habits that he believes breed better teams. “We are not kids any more. We don’t need our mammies and daddies to be looking after us. You throw your dirty gear outside your room and the kit man comes along and picks it up. That wouldn’t be my way of doing things.”

Wasn’t that the kind of thing that Roy Keane fought for, that players shouldn’t have to sweat the small stuff and could just concentrate on their football?

“There is a balance. You have to take responsibility for yourself and you have to build character, if we want to improve our national team. We have got to start creating better people as well. The way to do that is to not let them be disrespectful or think everything is going to be done for them because of their status as professional footballers. They are playing for their national team. I don’t know whether you would see the Irish rugby lads doing that or the All Blacks. They have systems in place, self-regulated by the players. In rugby or GAA, it’s all player-driven.”

After studying the All Blacks model, Southgate decentralised decision-making as much as he could and England players adopted their own code of conduct, which included a ban on the use of mobile phones at the dining table. Irish teams down the years have also policed themselves and reacted badly when managers such as Giovanni Trapattoni made too many rules. However, Supple believes that the ethos of the Ireland camp needs to be re-addressed.

“Look at the England team and how Southgate has improved them. He has given them that kind of identity which we wouldn’t have associated with England in the past. Self-regulation would enhance the [Ireland] group and make them improve as a unit and as a team. Something similar enough to the mobile phones at the dinner table and bringing your laundry down to the laundry room. Bits and pieces like that. Being respectful to the staff. I am not saying they weren’t, it’s just something which could be brought in as well, in terms of creating the values and ethics of a team. Anybody coming in knows exactly that this is the way we do things and if you don’t come on board there are consequences. Most modern-day teams are taking initiatives along those lines to create their own culture.”

Some of Supple’s thinking is influenced by his involvement with the Dublin Gaelic footballers in 2013 under the guidance of Jim Gavin. Since returning to Dublin, he has also thrown himself into studying sports performance and work as a life coach. Martin O’Neill might argue that some of his ideas are a bit like reinventing the wheel. Supple and O’Neill did talk in the dressing room after the 2-0 defeat by France in Paris, but it was mostly about Gaelic football and O’Neill’s own experiences playing for the Derry minors in the late 1960s.

“He is similar to Joe Royle, who I played under at Ipswich. Joe would stand back and watch training from a distance and let his coaching staff look after all that. He would pick the team on a Saturday. ‘You are men, go out and play’. That is the way it is. The game has evolved a lot since then and players are maybe looking for a bit more direction, with the information and the technology available. That is there for the international team as well and a lot of the lads utilise it, but Martin I suppose would leave it up to the boys themselves. Again that kind of an old attitude; ‘You are grown men and this is way it is. Go out on the pitch and do your job’. Simple as that.”

Team spirit within the camp doesn’t seem that great. 
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:41pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Or England. 

We have this perception that we’ve a squad full of genuine, hard-working players when Supple seems to be suggesting that we’ve a few Pre Madonna’s of our own... 

Fuk me don't tell me there are more out there .......
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:43pm

Originally posted by Daragho Daragho wrote:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/martin-oneill-on-what-ireland-need-to-do-to-emulate-croatias-world-cup-heroics-37129993.html

Apparently we need players at the biggest clubs, just like Croatia, in order to succeed. Very insightful Martin. Might be waiting a few decades for that if it ever happens.

That kind of talk also conveniently absolves the manager (i.e. himself) of any responsibility to work with the players he has and get the best out of them.
While it's true that we don't have the calibre of player that Croatia have, it's just another excuse, a washing of the hands, a 'sure, what do you expect? we don't have the players' argument that the likes of Iceland, Switzerland and Sweden don't seem overly concerned with.

Switzerland are the outlier here. They’ve way better players than us and we seem to not rate them for some reason. 

Iceland and Sweden are certainly comparable though. 

They certainly have better players, but what the Swiss lack is one "outstanding" player; something which certain posters insist you need to achieve anything of note....

Iceland are overall far less talented than our squad, and Sweden are similar to ourselves, perhaps even worse off when you consider that they don't  even have a player of the quality of Coleman.
We're decent enough..
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/martin-oneill-on-what-ireland-need-to-do-to-emulate-croatias-world-cup-heroics-37129993.html

Apparently we need players at the biggest clubs, just like Croatia, in order to succeed. Very insightful Martin. Might be waiting a few decades for that if it ever happens.

That kind of talk also conveniently absolves the manager (i.e. himself) of any responsibility to work with the players he has and get the best out of them.
While it's true that we don't have the calibre of player that Croatia have, it's just another excuse, a washing of the hands, a 'sure, what do you expect? we don't have the players' argument that the likes of Iceland, Switzerland and Sweden don't seem overly concerned with.

Switzerland are the outlier here. They’ve way better players than us and we seem to not rate them for some reason. 

They certainly have better players, but what the Swiss lack is one "outstanding" player; something which certain posters insist you need to achieve anything of note....

Iceland are overall far less talented than our squad, and Sweden are similar to ourselves, perhaps even worse off when you consider that they don't  even have a player of the quality of Coleman.

I would rate Switzerland and Sweden well ahead of us at the moment.

The current version of Iceland would be in and around our level.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Sweden are well ahead of us as a functional team, but not necessarily in terms of the talent available to them. Like ourselves, their team is primarily conposed of solid, physical players. Unlike us, they arguably don't even have one "top quality" player. Forsberg might fulfil that task for them, but he's never greatly impressed me.
We're decent enough..
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

But this is exactly the point I was making in my post when I named those teams.
Why are they achieving much more than we are capable of at the moment? They don't have eleven players who are clearly much better than our own. They don't even have one 'world-class' player who makes the difference. They have workable plans, they seem to know what is expected of them and they don't crap themselves every time the ball comes to them and blem it up the field.

Granted, Switzerland have a few players at Borussia Dortmund and Arsenal.
But look at the teams the 11 Swedish players play for, who started in the World Cup quarter final against England:
Copenhagen, Man Utd, Helsinborg, Werder Bremen, Bologna, AIK, Hamburg, Leipzig, Krasnador, Al Ain (UAE), Toulouse.
I could do the same for Iceland.

Much better than us?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 4:53pm
Technically? Yes! They are a much better team than we are.
Icy Bread People View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 5:13pm
Forsberg is class, playmaker rated at something like 50 million euros. We were banging on about Wes a bench player for Norwich until he retired. Perspective.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 6:36pm
He's highly rated by some alright, I've just never seen what all the fuss was about. When we played Sweden at the Euros, Wes looked streets ahead of him. Now that's only one match of course, but he's been largely anonymous on the 9-10 occasions I've watched him play.
We're decent enough..
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Sure I have been saying it for years. The man is a dinosaur. His coaching methods are from the 1980 Brian Clough Coaching Manual and havent evolved. He and Keane are also great men for saying "we need to hold onto the ball better" but without telling them how to do it. The players havent a clue what their roles are.

Those methods worked for Jack for a long time. He didn't know much about tactics, and sometimes didn't even know the names of his own players, let alone the opposition's. 

But at least he was committed to the job. The current gombeens are more interested in getting club jobs. That's what putting on the Leprechaun act in the ITV studios was all about. Getting their name out to the Brits, by pretending they knew what they were on about. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 299300301302303 419>
  Share Topic