Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 298299300301302 419>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Two unmarked headers missed the target, while one was saved. A McClean chance was saved by the keeper, and McGeady shot a half-volley over the bar.

On another day we would have won that game 2 or 3 - 1.

Georgia could also have won it by the same margin.

That was a game we deserved to lose.
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 12:13pm
The only way we can be any more primitive than we currently are is if the players regress a tad further and start swinging out of trees and regress into ape like creatures.  With MON I wouldn't rule it out.

He will be giving team talks by carving pictures into stones to illustrate and throwing bananas at TOD.

An artists impression of the Irish team coming out to play in Euro 2020 qualifying:

Related image
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 12:46pm
Hard to be optimistic right now. O'Neill is the wrong man, but many of our Premier League players are after losing their place. Hendrick, Arter, Clark. McClean has dropped a division, Brady and McCarthy are working their way back from awful injuries. Shane Long is surely finished at Southampton, they have just signed another attacker.

We have lost contributors like Wes and Murphy. Ward and Walters are getting on.

Doherty and Cunningham are positives but have never been given much of a chance before. Aston Villa will have to give Hogan a go as they can't afford anyone else. Hourihane, Browne and Maguire are probably important players by default despite not accomplishing a whole lot to date.

Some rebuild on the cards in fairness.
Icy Bread People View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 11:46am
https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/martin-oneill-on-what-ireland-need-to-do-to-emulate-croatias-world-cup-heroics-37129993.html

Apparently we need players at the biggest clubs, just like Croatia, in order to succeed. Very insightful Martin. Might be waiting a few decades for that if it ever happens.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Icy Bread People Icy Bread People wrote:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/martin-oneill-on-what-ireland-need-to-do-to-emulate-croatias-world-cup-heroics-37129993.html

Apparently we need players at the biggest clubs, just like Croatia, in order to succeed. Very insightful Martin. Might be waiting a few decades for that if it ever happens.

Well we have a youngster who plays for Inter Milan who I'd imagine he doesn't know about
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 11:56am
Shane Supple on MON”

“He is similar to Joe Royle, who I played under at Ipswich. Joe would stand back and watch training from a distance and let his coaching staff look after all that. He would pick the team on a Saturday. ‘You are men, go out and play’. That is the way it is. The game has evolved a lot since then and players are maybe looking for a bit more direction, with the information and the technology available. That is there for the international team as well and a lot of the lads utilise it, but Martin I suppose would leave it up to the boys themselves. Again that kind of an old attitude; ‘You are grown men and this is way it is. Go out on the pitch and do your job’. Simple as that.”

For a league of Ireland player to bemoan the quality of instructions given to players says all you need to know about MON. 

The technology line seems to hint that MON doesn’t bother watching clips of the oppositions playing style / previous games. 

Dinosaur. 
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 12:00pm
The more I hear players talking about MON the more concerned I get. Seems to have a very outdated approach to management.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 1:17pm
It was clearly evident in the Denmark game that the players were assigning themselves roles on the pitch, especially those in the "diamond"
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 1:21pm

A real mastermind. Some direction on how we could train our players to achieve that goal might be apt Martin...
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 1:22pm
Sure I have been saying it for years. The man is a dinosaur. His coaching methods are from the 1980 Brian Clough Coaching Manual and havent evolved. He and Keane are also great men for saying "we need to hold onto the ball better" but without telling them how to do it. The players havent a clue what their roles are. 

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Sure I have been saying it for years. The man is a dinosaur. His coaching methods are from the 1980 Brian Clough Coaching Manual and havent evolved. He and Keane are also great men for saying "we need to hold onto the ball better" but without telling them how to do it. The players havent a clue what their roles are. 

Why did you never say anything on here?
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

LOL
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 1:41pm

You know me. I hate starting threads. I have been biting my lip for years.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

LOL

LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 2:15pm

That kind of talk also conveniently absolves the manager (i.e. himself) of any responsibility to work with the players he has and get the best out of them.
While it's true that we don't have the calibre of player that Croatia have, it's just another excuse, a washing of the hands, a 'sure, what do you expect? we don't have the players' argument that the likes of Iceland, Switzerland and Sweden don't seem overly concerned with.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Daragho Daragho wrote:

That kind of talk also conveniently absolves the manager (i.e. himself) of any responsibility to work with the players he has and get the best out of them.
While it's true that we don't have the calibre of player that Croatia have, it's just another excuse, a washing of the hands, a 'sure, what do you expect? we don't have the players' argument that the likes of Iceland, Switzerland and Sweden don't seem overly concerned with.

Switzerland are the outlier here. They’ve way better players than us and we seem to not rate them for some reason. 

Iceland and Sweden are certainly comparable though. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 2:27pm
https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/exclusive-ive-won-the-very-top-club-prizes-but-the-disappointment-stays-with-you-for-much-longer-martin-oneill-37129988.html
Anyone get the feeling that O'Neill will put even more onus on scoring from set pieces after reading his comments on England here LOL
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by Daragho Daragho wrote:

Switzerland are the outlier here. They’ve way better players than us and we seem to not rate them for some reason. 

Iceland and Sweden are certainly comparable though. 
So do Iceland, certainly in key areas. Sweden are also technically superior and have a fine conveyor belt from their youth teams.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 298299300301302 419>
  Share Topic