You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 228229230231232 419>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 2:45pm
MON has to stay. We've gotten some massive results with him in charge, played great in France (bar the Belgium game), and got to a World Cup Play-off as 4th seeds. The only 4th seeds to do so.

Add to this, we were missing Coleman and Walters for the majority of the campaign (2 x huge players for us) and the likes of Brady, Long, and Hendrick have not been at the races at all. Plus, McCarthy, although, never really been a big player for us. That is half a team either missing or simply not performing. We all knew there was little difference between ourselves and Denmark with the exception of Erikson, who turned out to be the match winner and ran the show. Individual errors and a world class player should not be the reason to dismiss a manager. On another night, we could have been 2 or 3 nil up!
Sponsored Links

pepper67 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepper67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 2:51pm
..we were 4th seeds cuz of trap
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by John Wick John Wick wrote:

Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

MON has to stay. We've gotten some massive results with him in charge, played great in France (bar the Belgium game), and got to a World Cup Play-off as 4th seeds. The only 4th seeds to do so.

Add to this, we were missing Coleman and Walters for the majority of the campaign (2 x huge players for us) and the likes of Brady, Long, and Hendrick have not been at the races at all. Plus, McCarthy, although, never really been a big player for us. That is half a team either missing or simply not performing. We all knew there was little difference between ourselves and Denmark with the exception of Erikson, who turned out to be the match winner and ran the show. Individual errors and a world class player should not be the reason to dismiss a manager. On another night, we could have been 2 or 3 nil up!

Mon dragged us down to 4 the seeds being hammered in all the friendlies and later admitting he never knew the ranking were tied into them.

I don't know about him staying on but I do agree he has done very well with us. He has given us some fabulous results, Germany and Italy in particular spring to mind and I think everyone enjoyed the euro campaign in France. However I think he has taken us as far as he can- managers have a span when it comes to international management and its usually 2-3 campaigns. MON has had two and I think we peaked during the euros especially against Italy. 2 good away wins in the world cup group aside we have really had little to shout about. And to be fair the result and performance against Denmark felt like one of those end of an era moments.

Edited by Stickittotheman - 23 Nov 2017 at 3:03pm
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Originally posted by John Wick John Wick wrote:

Mon dragged us down to 4 the seeds being hammered in all the friendlies and later admitting he never knew the ranking were tied into them.

I don't know about him staying on but I do agree he has done very well with us. He has given us some fabulous results, Germany and Italy in particular spring to mind and I think everyone enjoyed the euro campaign in France. However I think he has taken us as far as he can- managers have a span when it comes to international management and its usually 2-3 campaigns. MON has had two and I think we peaked during the euros especially against Italy. 2 good away wins in the world cup group aside we have really had little to shout about. And to be fair the result and performance against Denmark felt like one of those end of an era moments.

I think his tactics are suited to the A teams, keep it tight try get something on the break, i.e. performances against Germany/Wales/Austria. Italy was the only game we played where we actually played some good football and didn't look terrified of the ball. Playing that way against germany is fine but the Wales's and Denmark's, we should be able to atleast try and play a bit of ball. You watch two mid table prem sides play each other, its not usually one team backs to the wall clearing danger for 90mins. it seems whatever got a good result one time seems to be his blueprint for every game, instead of playing to each teams weaknesses and have a proper plan. for example, Denmark clearly having a big slow defense but playing Murphy upfront.

just think it's the end of an era, and will always be looked back as being one of our best managers, but time is up.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 4:27pm

This the man that gets the best out of the players yeah?  

Edited by Trap junior - 23 Nov 2017 at 4:28pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 4:41pm
Also the list of potential replacements to me is uninspiring. Its almost better the divil We know than the Divil We dont. 

I can see us playing better football alright under another manager, but I dont see us necessarily getting the results that MON got and having the team fired up.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Did we have a shot on target against Denmark away?

O'Neill needs to change, at least bring in an assistant who knows his ball.

Lee Carsley ?

That would be hilarious, the amount of bitching and moaning that used to be aimed at Carsley whenever he played purely for not being Roy Keane was ridiculous back in the day.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 11:57pm
Ain’t cars rly involved in English set up now
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 6:21pm
MON is now 3/1 favorite for the Everton job.

Would be interesting to see if he’d allow an injured James McCarthy join up with future Ireland squads if he did get the gig.
Peter View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Iced Gem

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 6:23pm
https://78.media.tumblr.com/d66cbe2620a80ff90e6f5b2db98c2395/tumblr_ozxppdP2qa1vilcqco1_400.jpg

Would take with a pinch of salt, but he is now frontrunner at 2/1.

Edited by Peter - 24 Nov 2017 at 6:26pm
Tea???? FECK!!!!!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

https://78.media.tumblr.com/d66cbe2620a80ff90e6f5b2db98c2395/tumblr_ozxppdP2qa1vilcqco1_400.jpg

Dear Everton,

Please please please offer Martin O'Neill the Everton job.  He is the man to get Everton up the table. He plays good football, and gets the best out of his players.  He once won the European Cup you know? Not once. But twice.  If you need a reference I am willing to give Martin a glowing reference for you over the phone.  If you can't afford his salary I am willing to chip in.

Yours in football,
Lord Trap Junior Esquire IV of Corribside

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 7:04pm
He will take it just to piss off Koeman
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 7:06pm
Would be a good move for O'Neill. Decent players at Everton, good support and he'd be mad not to take it if offered.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Dear Everton,

Please please please offer Martin O'Neill the Everton job.  He is the man to get Everton up the table. He plays good football, and gets the best out of his players.  He once won the European Cup you know? Not once. But twice.  If you need a reference I am willing to give Martin a glowing reference for you over the phone.  If you can't afford his salary I am willing to chip in.

Yours in football,

No mention of his league cups? Angry

MON favourite with every bookies.This looks on,lads.

Edited by TonyNotJack - 24 Nov 2017 at 8:14pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 8:19pm
Bielsa on the list.  Don't mind Everton Marcelo.  Come to   E  I   R  E

Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Should he get the job I wonder will the set piece expert in to coach Sigurds'son

Dear Everton,

Yours in football,

No mention of his league cups? Angry

MON favourite with every bookies.This looks on,lads.

The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 8:19pm
Martin O'Neill is not going 

Don't mind beting markets 
greenmachine68 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenmachine68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Martin O'Neill is not going 

Don't mind beting markets 

Cmon don't be a grinch, let people think they might get a nice xmas present!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 228229230231232 419>
  Share Topic