Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 227228229230231 419>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 11:17pm
Excellent stuff. Very good article   Lee carsley for the Ireland job. -)
AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 11:39pm
Ironically enough I think O'Neill's biggest managerial fault isn't really a managerial fault at all, but rather a character defect: his hypersensitivity to criticism. We've seen it repeatedly over the past few years with O'Donoghue. It's not only embarrassing to watch, but it essentially rules out any possibility of O'Neill doing what the article suggests he needs to do, in fact it would only set him deeper into his ways...
We're decent enough..
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 8:23am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Ironically enough I think O'Neill's biggest managerial fault isn't really a managerial fault at all, but rather a character defect: his hypersensitivity to criticism. We've seen it repeatedly over the past few years with O'Donoghue. It's not only embarrassing to watch, but it essentially rules out any possibility of O'Neill doing what the article suggests he needs to do, in fact it would only set him deeper into his ways...

Very insecure and prickly.  Someone questions some decision he made as manager is some game and he starts going on about what he won as a player in 1979/80Confused

What has that got to do with taking off your midfield when they have a top class player who plays directly in fron of our back 4??ConfusedConfused
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:18am
Great article Deise, I do like a good read. He won't change. Do the FAI have the balls to ask him to change anyways? Not a hope. 

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Are we missing something here? Should he not be assisting with our underage sides or is it that he hasn't been offered anything? England clearly see something in his coaching. 
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:45am
As the dust settles I'm veering to thinking He should stay on based on the fact He has given us some of the biggest results We've had in decades. On paper the fact of been 4th seeds and finishing second seeds is positive.

And what sticks out is, He was a hero after wales, We were comfortable after Denmark Away and looking great 7 mins in in the home leg. It went to pot after that.

Yes the football is turgid, but the same can be levelled at Jack and Trap. We dont have any world class players. We dont have an organised structure from grass roots to internaitonal football and nothing short of a revolution would sort that out and its not gonna happen.

The sheer demand for tickets in the last few games shows the interest around the team is there. So its not driving fans away in their droves either
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:46am
Did we have a shot on target against Denmark away?

O'Neill needs to change, at least bring in an assistant who knows his ball.

Edited by horsebox - 23 Nov 2017 at 9:46am
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 9:53am
We had about one chance against Denmark away alright, but I always assumed an away draw was a good result. So I could see it as part of the plan

agree about the assistant. I cant see Roy sticking around anyway unless Hes offered the Job

Edited by OohAah... - 23 Nov 2017 at 9:55am
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 10:49am
The reason he has to go though is because of the fact he won't change. I believe that much is obvious. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 10:50am
But even if he wanted to change he hasn't a clue about tactics.  You can't give him a brain transplant.

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 10:58am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Did we have a shot on target against Denmark away?

O'Neill needs to change, at least bring in an assistant who knows his ball.

Lee Carsley ?
AKA pedantic kunt
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

But even if he wanted to change he hasn't a clue about tactics.  You can't give him a brain transplant.

Kinda making the same point. What people are suggesting / hoping I would say is this. 

MON stays as he has gotten us some great results. Clearly a good motivator etc. 

Bring in a better number 2 who does all the training and coaching and get us playing better. 

It was clear we were exposed against Denmark but tactics were spot on in Cardiff. Do we not think they worked on that? I can't get my head around the playoff game at the Aviva. My misses would have been better tuned in tactically. 

****not a hope this will happen. 

Edited by kearney304 - 23 Nov 2017 at 11:08am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 11:32am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Kinda making the same point. What people are suggesting / hoping I would say is this. 

MON stays as he has gotten us some great results. Clearly a good motivator etc. 

Bring in a better number 2 who does all the training and coaching and get us playing better. 

It was clear we were exposed against Denmark but tactics were spot on in Cardiff. Do we not think they worked on that? I can't get my head around the playoff game at the Aviva. My misses would have been better tuned in tactically. 

****not a hope this will happen. 

Not sure about Cardiff tbh  Result great yes. How he went about it?  Not good nor any different to any other performance this campaign imo.

In football there is things you can control and things you can't control.  The things you can control are preparing the best you can,  getting the set pieces right, the tactics etc...  Then there is the things you can't control.  When a ball is bouncing around a pitch like a pinball machine you are going to get some good bounces and some bad bounces no matter how good a team you are, there is a fair slice of chance and luck involved.  Sometimes the ball breaks into the path of one of our players and sometimes it doesn't.  That part of the game is pure chance. sometimes you get a run where the breaks seem to all go for you. Other times they all go against you.  Sometimes there is a fair amount of breaks in a game and its who is sharper in taking that chance that can determine the outcome.  These are the tactics MON employs.  He plays the gambling game.  He launches the ball into the box and hopes that lady luck is on his side tonight and the ball will fall into the path of one of our lads to score from.  He relies on luck.  Its his only plan.  And when you put one up front the odds of the ball falling to one of our lads is reduced again.  When luck deserts him, he is lost.

Then we go back to things we can control.  Being creative. Trying to work openings, one-twos. Trying to proactively make your own chances to score as opposed to putting all your eggs into the one basket-luck,  hoping chances fall to you by the grace of God from a jammy bounce or ricochet.   This is where every other team lives. Not us.

That performance in Wales was the same old same old. We got a break that night when Williams made a f**k up. We scored from their mistake i.e. the ball fell to us by the grace of God. Fair enough Hendrick played a part and McClean had a great shot.  But did we really play better that night than say Georgia away??  IMO no.  For the whole game bar our only chance we were muck.  Dominated by Wales, creating nothing, lumping the ball, having 30% possession as usual.  Going back to things you can't control. Wales had injuries and no firepower that night.  Lady luck was smiling down on us. The luck game plan paid off.

The only win under MON where after the match you could say 'yeah that was a good performance, we deserved to win that' was Bosnia at home. 

Edited by Trap junior - 23 Nov 2017 at 11:38am

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 11:36am
Austria away was a good performance which we deserved to win I thought.
As was Italy at the Euros

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 12:41pm
I don't necessarily think that Roy is in a mad rush to go. Nice wee job and salary for him to alternate with his TV work
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I know Carsley was very highly thought of at Brentford and they really wanted him to take the manager's job permanently after he stood in temporarily. Similar with Coventry, and possibly Birmingham City too.

But he's very much a family man, and a Brummie to boot, so he's not desperate for a high-profile job which would conflict with his overriding priorities. Also likes working with youngsters.

Which I assume is one of the reasons he was happy working with England U-21's - they're based just up the road at St.Georges Park in Burton.

But he shows all the signs of making an excellent (senior) manager should he take that road.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by John Wick John Wick wrote:

Hopefully Roy will walk and Mon will follow.
Eveyif Mon brings in a fantastic tactician....will be listen to him in the heat of battle

Its been over a week now.
The lads aren't going to leave unless they are pushed.

I don't mind if he stays as I believe he will get us to the next Euro's which is a must.
We will have some highs and lows along the way.

I wouldnt want him after that.
Being realistic our aim should be to qualify for every Euro and withing fighting chance of the world cups.
When the WCs move to 64 teams the expectations will change.

djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 2:03pm
Would probably rather O'Neil left, though cant see who i would want in his place, someone younger and more in touch with the modern game pretty much. people defend his tactics of long ball, and long ball is fine, but we dont even play long ball anymore, its hit it as far away from our box as you can to one big slow man up front, with noone pushing out. effectively turning it into a training game of attack v defense. we were completely outplayed by Wales and Denmark, two team who on paper, have equivalent players to what we have, everyone going on about allen, an average player in a crap stoke team. 

Denmark showed us how you play proper long ball, wingers pushing up high and wide, men flooding the box for the knock downs. We are playing the exact football we played during Trapatoni's last campaign in charge and is just not good enough
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 227228229230231 419>
  Share Topic