You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 225226227228229 419>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stokeirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Time isn't really a problem is it? When is our next competitive game? Nearly 12 months. 

Not when you put it like that no but just saying hope it’s sorted well before even the next friendly in March, give the new manager time
Sponsored Links

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by stokeirish stokeirish wrote:

I wonder when he will make a decision. Have to respect he is entitled to give this some thought but if he is going, I hope it’s sooner rather than later to give the new manager time to bed in

Our next friendly is March at the earliest with maybe a couple of friendlies in May/June

Followed by the Nations League in Sep Oct and November.

I do not think there is any rush.   He could announce it anytime between now and April and it wouldn't make a  difference. 

AKA pedantic kunt
stokeirish View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stokeirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I wonder when he will make a decision. Have to respect he is entitled to give this some thought but if he is going, I hope it’s sooner rather than later to give the new manager time to bed in

Our next friendly is March at the earliest with maybe a couple of friendlies in May/June

Followed by the Nations League in Sep Oct and November.

I do not think there is any rush.   He could announce it anytime between now and April and it wouldn't make a  difference. 

Hope the FAI see this post and get thinking now cos it’s going to be very hard sell the next season ticket! I’ll renew cos I have no friends or social life lol but think we might take a hit on sales next time sadly
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:51pm
Next years season ticket will be around half of this years I would say at a guess. What did we have this year? 18K? Be no where near that.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stokeirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:52pm

Next years season ticket will be around half of this years I would say at a guess. What did we have this year? 18K? Be no where near that.

Think it was 16 k
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:54pm

Think it was 16 k

Point being - we won't touch that next time round. 
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:54pm
I hope he announces quickly that he is staying so as all this shoite can be put to bed on here, and the players can be safe in the knowledge that there will be no upheaval in staff and no new regime, we will be in the next euros regardless, keep the faith
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 5:01pm
yeah I agree, he/they really needs to decide soon... this is a nuisance... it could go on too long
Come on Irelind
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stokeirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 5:02pm

Think it was 16 k

Sorry mate, wasn’t disagreeing with your point. Just saying I’m pretty sure it was 16k
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 5:05pm

Think it was 16 k

Sorry mate, wasn’t disagreeing with your point. Just saying I’m pretty sure it was 16k

I know Thumbs Up
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

People will be happy until he's replaced with someone else in the exact same mould/a 3rd or 4th rate "progressive" manager. There question isn't so much has O'Neill taken the team as far as he can (he almost certainly has), but rather can we find a useful replacement (more debatable).

Ya, that's about the size of it. 

There is also another murkier question to be answered, and it never will be in public anyway, but what if major sponsor who it is better not to name is happy with MON, but FAI aren't (for whatever reason) ? Do we get stuck with MON by default, or does said sponsor withdraw his, eh, sponsorship ? If that is the case, the FAI might not even be able to afford Stephen Kenny, never mind anyone else. 

That isn't a question directed at anyone in particular, and the FAI has always stressed that the sponsor has never had an influence over the manager in the sense of picking the team or anything like that, which I would believe as few managers would operate in those conditions.  But as regards picking the manager in the first place, in the case of this appointment, it is believed that certain individuals had previous ties with MON and there was little in the way of managerial committees or interviewers set up to interview other candidates. 

Its a far from ideal scenario, though I would believe the sponsor has the football team's best interest at heart, at the end of the day, he is a mere fan like the rest of us when it comes to football judgement, there is certainly scope there to influence an appointment, or influence a contract extension. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 11:21pm
Not many candidates out there is there

Edited by Baldrick - 21 Nov 2017 at 11:22pm
AKA pedantic kunt
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 11:46pm
That depends where you want to look I suppose, and what parameters are defined by the FAI in the event we do need a new manager. Being the FAI, they probably won't look too far, and uppermost in their mind will be the short term ST sales, which likely rules out any foreign candidate that the majority would be unaware of, therefore yer stuck with Mick, Chris, Sam, Tony the hat etc, or whatever manager happens to get the sack around that time. But to their credit, nobody really saw the last 2 appointments coming, Trap or MON, so maybe they could surprise us again. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 12:08am
Sorry yeah should clarify realistic or likely candidates. I do think o Neill's race is run but equally from an Irish perspective there is Hughton (not going to quit Brighton for Ireland ) and Stephen Kenny.

I can't really see the FAI going for a leftfield appointment but I would have no issue if they went for Jupp Heynckes who won't be at Munich next season. Is Hitzveld too old ?. Would Ancelotti take it ?

Edited by Baldrick - 22 Nov 2017 at 12:09am
AKA pedantic kunt
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 12:23am
To appoint a good manager for us requires a little imagination, background research and making an attractive offer.  The Irish press and the FAI and fans don't have much of an imagination and reflexively think the only managers available to us are C list managers from the UK.  Irish football fans and media think the EPL is the only league in the world.

We have a lot to offer.  Firstly an attractive salary. Secondly the Irish players are known for their fighting spirit and love of playing for their country, which is not a given in many countries, so coaches would see that as a plus.  The job can be a stepping stone to the EPL or Championship for a relatively unknown foreigner looking to break into the UK.  Marco Silva took the Hull job for example.  Why would he choose a team that were doomed already to relegation?  Thirdly to be a success with us you just have to get us to the 2020 Euros which is very very achievable so its not all doom and gloom.

The only fear is the FAI having no imagination and plumping for a Pulis or Allardyce or someother UK reject.  Now they may well qualify us but the football would not be good and would be another 'lets kick the can down the road' appointment. And in 4 years we have been destroyed again because we play the worst football in Europe.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 12:29am
Anyone watch the TV3 buildup to the Liverpool match?Neil Lennon was on it. Paraphrasing a little here, 
Tommy Martin : "So Neil, you played under Martin O'Neill, the perceived wisdom is that he does almost nothing on the training ground and tells players very little tactically.Is that true?
Neil Lennon : "Yes, but good players should know their own role in the team without being told."
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 12:39am
KUDOS TO  NEILL LENNON.....this a way to defend a friend and former boss...
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 12:40am
Can't see people having much patience for anybody who has a similar style to O'Neill. (E.g Allardyce or McCarthy). We have had almost 10 years of playing a similar style.

Euro 2020 will be one of the easiest tournaments to qualify for, probably ever. That allows us to look at someone based on play-style as well as results.

McDermott would be a massive success were he to get it, in my opinion. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 225226227228229 419>
  Share Topic