You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 224225226227228 419>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 1:09pm
So what does MON actually do?

He doesnt take training
He doesnt coach
He doesnt give out tactical instructions.

I’m starting to question what is the actual point in him
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

He doesnt take training
He doesnt coach

He offers witty anecdotes.

At this point I think he just wears glasses to look smartLOL

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 1:13pm

He doesnt take training
He doesnt coach

He proves claret murph wrong as he is the one that actually makes the tea LOL

Some amount of absolute bullsh*t that MON does nothing but motivate players LOL 
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

It's hardly revelatory news that O'Neill isn't a particularly accomplished tactician, in fact I'd say its a widely acknowledged fact.

Agreed. But if senior players are telling family members, it suggests that frustration is creeping in - can MON win the dressing room back if he stays on?
where has any player actually came out in public and said they dont want to play for mon,where? apart from in the barbers ffs.........
Lads yous need to stop taking them mushrooms or get off the glue.....
who we gonna bring in? BIG SAM..... now that would be a massive improvement in our playing style..... unreal some peeps are....
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by greenlad greenlad wrote:

It's hardly revelatory news that O'Neill isn't a particularly accomplished tactician, in fact I'd say its a widely acknowledged fact.

Agreed. But if senior players are telling family members, it suggests that frustration is creeping in - can MON win the dressing room back if he stays on?
where has any player actually came out in public and said they dont want to play for mon,where? apart from in the barbers ffs.........
who we gonna bring in? BIG SAM..... now that would be a massive improvement in our playing style..... unreal some peeps are....

No one is suggesting that. You can like someone but lose faith and belief in them.  Big Jack for example.

There is no doubt that the players will be wondering if he knows what he is doing.

His indifference to technical aspects is well published, even by players themselves. In 2014 when Ireland took on Germany, Aiden McGeady lined out in an unfamiliar number 10 slot. A position new to everyone, including him:

The manager didn’t actually say much to be honest with you, he kind of just read out the team and we were trying to figure out where everyone was playing. When he read the team out a few of the lads were saying ‘are you playing off the striker?’ and I was like ‘I think I could be’.

But then Steve Walford comes around and he gives you the set-pieces and how the shape is going to set up.

Obviously as we got closer to the game I realised that I was playing there and it was another challenge.

Aiden McGeady, 2014, post Ireland 1-1 draw with Germany

It's well documented he doesn't do much team shape or organisational stuff, that's just the way he is. That's his management style, probably going back to what Brian Clough did to him and he's took that on to his management style.

Shay Given, interview with Second Captains, 2017

Ireland won't go through the normal preparation the players are familiar with at their clubs ahead of their upcoming play-off. Given explained it's not O'Neill's style.

From a team-shape point of view, for example we're playing Denmark. What is their system? Normally when the lads meet up, the first couple of days you'd be doing team shape and walking through stuff. This is how they play, Eriksen likes to drop into the hole. Schmeichel gets to the back, he wants to zing it early up front and how to counteract that and all this kind of stuff but we don't. He won't.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 1:47pm

Big Sam actually does training and coaches so it'll already be a massive improvement LOL
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 1:51pm

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Nothing that anybody doesn’t know about MON already.

But heard tonight from a reliable source close to the family of a senior Ireland player that MON names the team - says off you go lads, go out and communicate - gives them no tactical instruction.

Again it’s nothing we haven’t heard from players who have previously played under MON, but if current players have starting talking out about MON then you’d have to think he’ll struggle to win back the dressing room if he does stay on.

I would bet my life that this is 100% pure bullsh1te.

I really cant believe people think a man is paid over a million a year to pick a team and say "good luck".

He is really into american football because he loves the whole tactical side of the game.

Brother of a north side player who is a barber. You could probably find out who it is for yourself - he’d tell you the exact same thing.
OMG, barber shop story, must be true.......
I work as a manager and i dont address my team face to face as there is over 30 of them, i have 3 supervisors that i communicate my instructions to then its down to them to relay it to the rest of the team. delegating i think its called.
you know the old saying, why bark when youve a dog to bark for ye...

Delegating, a word for saying you couldn't be arsed to do it yourself.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 1:52pm
"We live in a world where the idiots are currently being given a lot of air time as we seem to more concerned with being outraged at something rather than just speaking sense in the first place. The sensible lot stop talking for fear of being shouted at and the shouters can’t stop because any air time is good air time right?"

Quote ZZ Nov 2017

Actually stolen from F365 but relevant here!

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 21 Nov 2017 at 1:53pm

greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 1:53pm

Big Sam actually does training and coaches so it'll already be a massive improvement LOL
itll be an improvement until he loses a playoff then the knives will be out for him and the next 1 after him and the next 1 after him......................etc etc etc.
btw wasnt it sammy lee that took the training sessions under big sam?
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 1:55pm

itll be an improvement until he loses a playoff then the knives will be out for him and the next 1 after him and the next 1 after him......................etc etc etc.

No. Did the training himself at Sunderland and Sammy Lee didn't join him here so that kills that one off well and truly

Edited by coyne - 21 Nov 2017 at 1:56pm
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

He doesnt take training
He doesnt coach

He proves claret murph wrong as he is the one that actually makes the tea LOL

Some amount of absolute bullsh*t that MON does nothing but motivate players LOL 
Pweehhh never has Martin ever stooped so low .
Just waiting for Hornet to raid google again and prove me wrong Big smile
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 2:20pm

No. Did the training himself at Sunderland and Sammy Lee didn't join him here so that kills that one off well and truly
i feel that if we do change manager,( and i hope we dont) we need to go for a younger manager, someone who knows how to mix things up on the pitch. the likes of big sam or tony pulis arent the answer anymore, football has changed and these type of managers(no dis respect) are all too common and too predictable. if we had a sniff of getting michael oneill then i would say push martin and roy out the door but if we're not getting someone of that ilk then stick with what we have coz he hasnt done a bad job at all imo.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 2:22pm

Wanting someone to come in doesn't automatically mean we think he will be an improvement on the past four years, I want someone to come in because I think he will do better than MON will do in the next 2/4/6 years. Of course, should that happen, it will always be hypothetical but I feel it is necessary.

I don't think it is as drastic as he has lost the dressing room, but this has a very similar feel to the summer of 2012. I have stated that MON has been a success in his time here and I fail to understand how anybody can argue otherwise. He has provided many big results and performances and for all the claims that he has been lucky on occasion, he has been very unlucky on others. He was certainly very unlucky to inherit the worst squad of players for thirty years or more, whether you agree with how he utilised them or not, and I don't think that can be disputed either. There is also the fact we lost our captain at a critical time due to a horror challenge that gave us little more than a ten minute numerical advantage, as well as losing our talisman from the last campaign at inopportune times.
  I would argue that he has provided more big results and performances than bad ones, but it is very hard to see where he goes from here. He took massive gambles in the playoff against Denmark, rightly or wrongly, but there has to be some fallout from those gambles failing. 

On top of that, while he proved his ability to outsmart an opposing manager against Wales, something I would still trust him to do, even after the Danish debacle, there are other criticisms that have been valid for a while but overshadowed by results.
 He has long been a manager who trusts a core group of players, throughout his managerial career, all the way back to Leicester, but in someways I feel that reliance on continuity cost him at times as I think there were players in certain positions who in some cases should have been blooded. I am aware of the counterargument, we certainly felt the benefit of players regularity at times, but I think it has created an air of comfort and complacency in others .Doherty being one obvious example, in other cases being utilised at the right time, horses for courses, to use the old cliche,  I think O'Kane should have been involved instead of being left out completely against Georgia, while in other cases I fee lplayers could have cases blooded earlier, Maguire being an obvious one. These are pretty minor criticisms of a good job overall, but he has given these criticisms validity after Denmark and while I am sure the players still want to play for him, he is very much that kind of person, I do wonder if there is an unsettling nervousness in the back of their minds that he could get it so wrong again . As bad as many of the players were on the night, and as much as I don't rate a lot of their talents, his gamble hung them out to dry in the second-half.
I just don't see it ending well for anyone if it stays on, even if we can't get anyone who is better, which I actually think might be likely, I believe that a fresh start is important for Irish football now. I just feel that it has all started to unravel and it is very hard to stop that.

Edited by pre Madonna - 21 Nov 2017 at 2:39pm
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 3:50pm

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Nothing that anybody doesn’t know about MON already.

But heard tonight from a reliable source close to the family of a senior Ireland player that MON names the team - says off you go lads, go out and communicate - gives them no tactical instruction.

Again it’s nothing we haven’t heard from players who have previously played under MON, but if current players have starting talking out about MON then you’d have to think he’ll struggle to win back the dressing room if he does stay on.

I would bet my life that this is 100% pure bullsh1te.

I really cant believe people think a man is paid over a million a year to pick a team and say "good luck".

He is really into american football because he loves the whole tactical side of the game.

Brother of a north side player who is a barber. You could probably find out who it is for yourself - he’d tell you the exact same thing.
OMG, barber shop story, must be true.......
I work as a manager and i dont address my team face to face as there is over 30 of them, i have 3 supervisors that i communicate my instructions to then its down to them to relay it to the rest of the team. delegating i think its called.
you know the old saying, why bark when youve a dog to bark for ye...

Maybe you should get your dog to proof read your posts.
Gallowgate 67 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gallowgate 67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:10pm
If O'Neill does go I'm not sure we will be happy ....Its hard to please people....

What the lovers of the sky hyped English premier league forget is the Irish team is made of of average and less than average players and O'neill does well to get what he has out of them...

Edited by Gallowgate 67 - 21 Nov 2017 at 4:12pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:16pm
People will be happy until he's replaced with someone else in the exact same mould/a 3rd or 4th rate "progressive" manager. There question isn't so much has O'Neill taken the team as far as he can (he almost certainly has), but rather can we find a useful replacement (more debatable).

Edited by The O'Shea - 21 Nov 2017 at 4:18pm
We're decent enough..
stokeirish View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stokeirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:38pm
I wonder when he will make a decision. Have to respect he is entitled to give this some thought but if he is going, I hope it’s sooner rather than later to give the new manager time to bed in
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:42pm
Time isn't really a problem is it? When is our next competitive game? Nearly 12 months. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 224225226227228 419>
  Share Topic