Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin O'Neill...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 154155156157158 419>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

The only stat that matters in football is thr final score.

True but the scoreline can be just a fluke masking the performance.  Good performances generally lead to good results.  But keep performing poorly over and over and getting consistently good results will not go hand in hand. You will get lucky now and again.

Our possession stats have regressed under MON I'd wager.  I am in no doubt that the success he has gotten with us is more changes in circumstantial luck than any improvement in performances.

Edited by Trap junior - 18 Oct 2017 at 8:31pm
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 8:35pm
However we have got good results now for a while under o Neill playing poorly many times so he is going against that theory.

Who cares how he does it as long as he does.

And it has happened too many times

Edited by Baldrick - 18 Oct 2017 at 8:39pm
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

And are prepared to ignore things like the opposition taking strikes from distance and getting infuriated as the game went on, and treating two shots on target the same, even when one goes in and one doesn't, because it doesn't suit your agenda.

You're a law man. Which argument would hold up in court better in a hypothetical case? Stats and hard facts or your pro biased interpretation of the facts? 

I was at both games. I saw what happened. 

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

I don't wind people up. I tell them the truth and they don't like it. Not my problem.

planning is miles (or kilometers) ahead of us all lads. That's just how it is

LOLLOLLOLLOL

He wouldn't go to the Euros last year because we'd be "sitting ducks" for ISIS. Pretty shrewd stuff LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 8:41pm

Possibly yes.

But watching the ball being booted from our keeper to their keeper you get a bit of a pain in your hoop.

These are full time professional players and managers and can't do something that 8 year olds do every week.

My young lad plays under 8/9 and you are not allowed to hoof the ball from keeper to the forwards, you have to play it out from the back.

They have a 12 yard retreat line that allows the keeper and full back to bring the ball out, the opposition are not allowed past the retreat line.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 8:42pm

However we have got good results now for a while under o Neill playing poorly many times so he is going against that theory.

Well we have had one or two good results and a few bad results and relying on luck to bail us out. He has had a ridiculous amount of luck go his way to date.  Definitely more than your fair share.

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 8:54pm
Yes if we were watching it every week but if it happens a few times a year I couldn't give a sh*t as long as we get r results and get nights like Cardiff Germany at home and Italy in Lille and Bosnia at home and Austria away. Denmark played passing football and got feck all with it and fans got quickly bored and wanted a change. So it's all about results
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 8:56pm
The only metric is results whether that's by hook or by crook or by luck or whatever.

I think you would prefer his luck to run out so you could be proven right in your head
AKA pedantic kunt
BriMurt View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriMurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

True but the scoreline can be just a fluke masking the performance.  Good performances generally lead to good results.  But keep performing poorly over and over and getting consistently good results will not go hand in hand. You will get lucky now and again.

Our possession stats have regressed under MON I'd wager.  I am in no doubt that the success he has gotten with us is more changes in circumstantial luck than any improvement in performances.

Agree with the first paragraph. I think the, what you might call 'great', Irish defensive performances of recent years have been characterised by a lot of determination and grit, but it's never that confident defending where you're dispossessing your opponents before they get into the box, and limiting them to wild shots from range. I guarantee that, against decent to great opposition, a solid Irish defensive performance will still allow about 3 good chances to the opposition. A poor Irish defensive performance will afford about the same. The difference being whether the opposition takes them or not. 

But the team's performance has definitely improved under MoN vs. Trap, overall. Trapattoni steadied the ship after the ghastly Staunton years, but it became clear after a point that Trap had not placed a glass ceiling above the team, but a bulletproof perspex one. Absolutely no intention of changing the system or the personnel. This sapped the team's, and our, belief, and you can't expect any growth of success, or even a sustained level of success in those conditions. 

OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 9:00pm

Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

That Italian 11 would walk in to any Irish team and they were all trying to play for a place in their National team.

None of that Italian team would get into our team. Besides the fact they are all ineligible, they were also crap, every one of them that played in Lille without exception, was absolutely crap. They played that game because their betters having already won them the group, (amazing actually winning a group!!!) were given a few days more rest before beating the then European Champions.

Beating the Italian B side in the last 5 minutes led to wild celebrations. Sadly, we were already on our way home before that next Italy game even took place.

LOLLOL can imagine you in front of the telly going berserk at the Italian lads for conceding "f**k off lads youre all sh*t" and storming off in a huff
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Possibly yes.

But watching the ball being booted from our keeper to their keeper you get a bit of a pain in your hoop.

These are full time professional players and managers and can't do something that 8 year olds do every week.

My young lad plays under 8/9 and you are not allowed to hoof the ball from keeper to the forwards, you have to play it out from the back.

They have a 12 yard retreat line that allows the keeper and full back to bring the ball out, the opposition are not allowed past the retreat line.

That's becAuse kids football is about education and fun not results whereas professional football is only about results

Edited by Baldrick - 18 Oct 2017 at 9:00pm
AKA pedantic kunt
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by BriMurt BriMurt wrote:

Agree with the first paragraph. I think the, what you might call 'great', Irish defensive performances of recent years have been characterised by a lot of determination and grit, but it's never that confident defending where you're dispossessing your opponents before they get into the box, and limiting them to wild shots from range. I guarantee that, against decent to great opposition, a solid Irish defensive performance will still allow about 3 good chances to the opposition. A poor Irish defensive performance will afford about the same. The difference being whether the opposition takes them or not. 

But the team's performance has definitely improved under MoN vs. Trap, overall. Trapattoni steadied the ship after the ghastly Staunton years, but it became clear after a point that Trap had not placed a glass ceiling above the team, but a bulletproof perspex one. Absolutely no intention of changing the system or the personnel. This sapped the team's, and our, belief, and you can't expect any growth of success, or even a sustained level of success in those conditions. 

Good post. 

A totally open minded take on Trap's and O'Neill's current reign. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 9:09pm
I have a problem with how O'Neill sets us up myself, but its not the ugly style of football as such. More that if we have to play ugly (i'm a very strong believer that there is no 'way' to play and that direct, agricultural football is just as valid as pretty passing football) we could be doing so much more effectively. 

In a lot of the games in the group i was going mental in the stands shouting not because we werent playing attractive football, but because we were half committing to whatever game plan we were implementing. We were playing 4-5-1 with ball players in the team and hoofing it over their heads leaving 3 midfield passengers instead of 2. We play walters out wide which helps absolutely nobody. 

Most importantly from my view how we could immediately improve - pressing. in Georgia they had the freedom of the pitch up until our box, same as at the start of Wales. These are not world class teams. If you get in their faces, they make mistakes. I saw a stat at some point last season - Arter was the number 1 premier league midfielder at winning the ball high up the pitch last year. Similarly, our great chance and great goal in Wales came from Hendrick putting the squeeze on Ashley Williams and creating something out of nothing. When we press these teams we create chances for ourselves to win the ball somewhere that isn't our own box and have a good platform to build attacks. And if we do so, these chances will be there against all but perhaps the very best in the world.

If we let Denmark pass all around us and do nothing about it, as we did too many times in that last campaign, we'll be in serious trouble. Get at them when they have the ball, win it back high, create more chances. The lack of urgency when we dont have the ball is my biggest complaint right now and it bleeds into what we do when we do have the ball. in the positions we win the ball, a lot of the time the team has nowhere to go but to hoof it as every player is in our half. When we win it higher, as we saw in a few games, we have much more to play with and we have gotten very quick ball out to players running forward into attacking positions. Ive said it before and i will again, i don't give a sh*te whether or not our play is 'pretty' but i do care that it's effective.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 18 Oct 2017 at 9:11pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 9:12pm
Austria v Ireland  2013 v 2016

Possession     Austria 65%  Ireland 35%
Shots              Austria   17   Ireland 8
On Target       Austria    6     Ireland   2
Corners          Austria    6     Ireland   6

2013:
Possession    Austria 55%   Ireland 45%
Shots             Austria  21     Ireland  9
On Target      Austria   7      Ireland  0
Corners         Austria   11    Ireland  2

Again the stats are fairly similar bar the possession. In 2013 was 10% more possession but we had more corners in 2016.  However we had the similar attempts on goal. 9 in 2013 and 8 in 2016. 2 were on target in 2016. None in 2013.

Again I don't see much difference bar the scoreline which can be decided by a bad decision or just taking your only chance.  

Again I was at both games.

If anything our stats are regressing in some areas. Particularly possession.  We had 30% versus Georgia this year and Moldova dominated us in the 2nd half in possession. In Wales we had 29% possession. 

Possession  Wales 71%    Ireland 29%
Shots         Wales   16     Ireland   9
On target    Wales   4      Ireland   2
Corners       Wales   10    Ireland    2

Now I don't know how he is managing to come away from these games with victories.  It's not like we have clinical strikers who only need 1 chance.   But we seems to be taking our only chances in games.  Somehow.   That is not sustainable. 

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 9:14pm
It's only the scoreline that matters trap. All the other stuff is meaningless
AKA pedantic kunt
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 9:15pm

I don't wind people up. I tell them the truth and they don't like it. Not my problem.

The truth is that Bonucci, Barzagli and Florenzi were not B team players. You just ignore that every time I point it out to you. To say they wouldn't get into the Irish team is not the truth.

You just ignore these posts where your "facts" are called out as bullsh*t.

Edited by rolo - 18 Oct 2017 at 9:22pm
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 9:15pm

Trap's system was extremely rigid and essentially defensive minded. It meant we didn't lose many games but didn't win many either against good opposition. It worked up to a point and nearly took us to a WC as well as a Euros, but was found out a bit in Poland.

MON is more fluid and willing to experiment and change which probably accounts for the quality of our performances going up and down under him. We can be really good on our day but put in below par performances as well.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Trap's system was extremely rigid and essentially defensive minded. It meant we didn't lose many games but didn't win many either against good opposition. It worked up to a point and nearly took us to a WC as well as a Euros, but was found out a bit in Poland.

MON is more fluid and willing to experiment and change which probably accounts for the quality of our performances going up and down under him. We can be really good on our day but put in below par performances as well.

I've no problem with what you say about the rigidity. But had MON been the manager in 2012 the results would have been the same.  I do not believ the quality of our performances have gone up at all.  Whats happened is we have gotten better results in certain games and peoples perception of the game is skewed because if the scoreline.  I believe we play less football now that under Trap. For instance the wales game last week was a horrible performance. Had that finished 0-0 which would have been a fair result do you think people would have been looking at the tactics and football we played in a different light?  Nobody on here was criticising the football the days after yet it would have been outrage had it finished 0-0.  That's the change in perception one kick of the ball into a net can do.

You can't keep playing the way we are and getting away with it. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 154155156157158 419>
  Share Topic