You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UPC Horizon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 13>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 11:20pm
The landline cannot receive a call but can make an outgoing callLOL

I think I'm going to cancel the upc and switch to sky.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 12:07am
Do this:

1) get an ethernet cable (UPC probably gave you one with the box)
2) plug one end of the cable into the UPC box and the other end into the laptop
3) (it should connect to the network automatically)
4) do a speed test and see what you get

If it is consistently good doing that, then the issue is with wifi. Changing wifi channels by accessing the modem settings can fix this issue although that can be complicated to do. If you live in a built up area with lots of available networks, this can be an issue. By way of an example, when you open your list of networks, are there loads of other wifis around that belong to your neighbours? If so, interference with wifi could be the issue and moving to sky won't fix a f**king thing.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 18 Feb 2015 at 12:07am
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 1:06am
ok did the speed test with the cable  and its 208mbs.  Some change up from 30mbs on wifi.  So whats my next step?  Obviously my wifi is goosed.  The wifi was fine before I installed Horizon when I was on my old router and modem.

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 1:29am
You can try logging onto the wifi modem.

Type this into your address bar:

Then put in the username "admin" and the password "admin". Those should be the defaults for a horizon box. Go into advanced settings and try changing the wifi channel. It may be set on automatic. Maybe try changing it to a higher number, as that can work.

You will probably need to do this when it is plugged in, rather than through wifi, as changing the channel will affect your connectivity. You might need to then forget and rejoin the wifi network on your laptop and phone before it will work wirelessly again.

By the way, don't take my advice as gospel on this. I only have the vaguest of handles on what I am doing and this could equally screw things up. Give it a good google yourself and maybe try boards.ie (although beware of the ridiculous mods there) and see what you can figure out.
Guest View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 3:15am
I used to get emails from upc telling me change to a different channel if the wifi slows down. They used to do things from their end too but it always went back to been slow after a few days. Its too inconsistent or maybe i just got a crap box but ive had a few different modems with upgrades and never had a problem with any of them
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

ok did the speed test with the cable  and its 208mbs.  Some change up from 30mbs on wifi.  So whats my next step?  Obviously my wifi is goosed.  The wifi was fine before I installed Horizon when I was on my old router and modem.

The UPC equipment is working as expected so the issue is either with your laptop or other devices that you might be using.

If you have an old laptop the wireless network card might not support the wireless speeds currently available.

How old is your laptop?
If you read here - your wireless network card might only support legacy bands.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11
Hence the slow speeds.

This might help too.
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/179344-how-to-boost-your-wifi-speed-by-choosing-the-right-channel

I'd ring up UPC support and them as they might be able to help.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

My laptop was bought in December 2012, and my phone last june (galaxy note3) so I doubt its my equipment. My phone is losing the signal too.
The UPC equipment is working as expected so the issue is either with your laptop or other devices that you might be using.

If you have an old laptop the wireless network card might not support the wireless speeds currently available.

How old is your laptop?
Hence the slow speeds.

This might help too.
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/179344-how-to-boost-your-wifi-speed-by-choosing-the-right-channel

My laptop was bought in December 2012, and my phone last june (galaxy note3) so I doubt its my equipment. My phone is losing the signal too.

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 2:23pm
Having thoughtfully considered all the issues, here are my conclusions.

Trapjnr your the issue. 
Solution reboot your ass back to Galway
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 2:42pm

How old is your laptop?
Hence the slow speeds.

This might help too.

My laptop was bought in December 2012, and my phone last june (galaxy
note3) so I doubt its my equipment. My phone is losing the signal too.

Ok so take your Galaxy device, it has a Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2.4+5GHz spec.

ac being the highest spec - you need to verify if the Horizon box is configured to support this channel (it should be).

The horizon box might need to be tweaked so that you can get a better WiFi speed.

Get in contact with UPC support, they should be able to help.

I must admit, I really don't understand how and why a home user would need a 240mb internet connection.

Edited by horsebox - 18 Feb 2015 at 2:45pm
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 3:01pm

I must admit, I really don't understand how and why a home user would need a 240mb internet connection.

TJ is into some pretty freaky sh*t....
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 3:23pm
As I say know feck all about interweb stellar technology. Upc advertise 240mb so thought thats what I was supposed to get. What is a good speed that is fine for a house?

I will give them a buzz. Cheers Horse!

rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 4:15pm
I would say any home user getting 50mb would be more than enough.

Would that be the general consensus ?

Edited by rossieman - 18 Feb 2015 at 4:19pm
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 4:52pm
Unless tire doing some mad downloading, then 40-50mb is more than enough. It's worth noting TJ, that speeds are edger tossed as up to... That means achievable, but not guaranteed and even 'up to' requires so many things to fall into line. I have the 120mb package and my wifi speeds are 45 or there abouts. I'm gonna bring the work laptop home the weekend and do a wired speed check.
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 5:20pm
Can't get wifi up stairs anymore since getting the horizon. The interface was designed by a cabbage and it deletes recordings, or else misses the end of them or freezes half way through. I despise the thing.

Very much feels like they were in a rush to roll it out, or couldn't wait any longer to showcase their new toy, like a kid who hasn't got the patience to build his new kite properly and ends up  looking like a complete spastick running around the green at the top of his road with a mashed up bundle of sticks and fabric on a string dragging behind him.

http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

Can't get wifi up stairs anymore since getting the horizon. The interface was designed by a cabbage and it deletes recordings, or else misses the end of them or freezes half way through. I despise the thing.

Very much feels like they were in a rush to roll it out, or couldn't wait any longer to showcase their new toy, like a kid who hasn't got the patience to build his new kite properly and ends up  looking like a complete spastick running around the green at the top of his road with a mashed up bundle of sticks and fabric on a string dragging behind him.

I'm sure you mean a spastic ......

Never had the horizon, always refused the upgrade and stick with the separate TV and router. Few lads in work have it and I've yet to hear anything good about it.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 5:27pm
just been doing some pricing there. Reckon it works out pretty much the same price to get phone and internet with UPC and tv with sky sports from sky as opposed to getting a 3 in 1 bundle from either UPC or Sky.

Edited by Trap junior - 18 Feb 2015 at 5:28pm

Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by heighway2heaven heighway2heaven wrote:

If you remember back to around 07/08 the dodgy boxes were in circulation and were costing UPC a lot wjth people downgrading to the minimum packages yet being able to get every channel on their menu through these boxes. I do believe that if it continued that they would in fact have gone bust(only my opinion on it) upon introducing this new horizon box they have gone backwards with technology in terms of user friendliness and speed and it is everything bad that you say and mores depise their tv service.

I was at a marketing survey on Monday and they have a new sevice coming down the line called connect and play. It will have new features such as

- my prime(upc' version of Netflix)
- sports Channels all bundled into one package
- Wi fi hubs around dublin so you can connect to one of These if you are an existing BB customer
- horizon app for phone which will allow you to use you minutes you get in your telephone package on your landline on your mobile
- 240mb fibre power network
- rewind and play, if you turn on the tv in the middle of a show this feature allows you to go back to start of the show even if you didn't have it recording.

There were other ones I just can't remember them all, I spent a good while saying that instead of introducing all this why not get the basics right first such as menus, responsiveness, user friendliness of the tv.

These new features will be out in the next few months

Edited by Sono - 18 Feb 2015 at 6:30pm
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 7:30pm
This is what's called a user issue
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 13>
  Share Topic