Forum Description: Anything else going on
URL: https://forum.ybig.ie/forum_posts.asp?TID=45598
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 2:23pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: UPC Horizon
Posted By: Siralex
Subject: UPC Horizon
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 4:16pm
Anybody got this, can anybody tell me what it is exactly?

-------------
If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job

Replies:
Posted By: Sham157
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 4:33pm
20 HD channels as part of the package, wifi built in the the digi box and record 4programmes at once. Oh and u can watch telly on your ipad, phone etc but only if you connected to your upc wifi. Big load of marketing for a mediocre improvement imo
Suppose i should mention home phone included

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by sham157 sham157 wrote:

20 HD channels as part of the package, wifi built in the the digi box and record 4programmes at once. Oh and u can watch telly on your ipad, phone etc but only if you connected to your upc wifi. Big load of marketing for a mediocre improvement imo

Cheers Sham - I was talking to UPC this morning, and I can get the Horizon in for no extra monthly charge (I already have TV, phone and broadband with them)....I suppose it would be worth getting in so?  Do you have it mate?

-------------
If I keep writing enough hagiographic articles on Man Utd, they might give me a job

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Siralex Siralex wrote:

Cheers Sham - I was talking to UPC this morning, and I can get the Horizon in for no extra monthly charge (I already have TV, phone and broadband with them)....I suppose it would be worth getting in so?  Do you have it mate?
Nah dont have, im on contract for another 8 months. Ah look if its costing no extra go for it with bells and whistles. Its just no big draw if your a new customer, its nothing exciting basically. With sky you can watch on 2 devices anywhere you want for example but with UPC you need to be on your own wifi. Theyre making a huge fuss about very little.

Oops ballsed up the reply on the phone

Posted By: ShayGivensBum
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 2:26pm
Cancelled my upc account before my contract is out. They are looking for 200 euro to cancel it. If I just dont pay that what would happen? I no longer live at the address?

Posted By: FrankosHereNow
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by ShayGivensBum ShayGivensBum wrote:

Cancelled my upc account before my contract is out. They are looking for 200 euro to cancel it. If I just dont pay that what would happen? I no longer live at the address?
They'll send the bill to a debt collection agency, they sent my bill to Iterum Justitia. They're hounding me and threatening to sue me for €42 at the moment.

Now UPC never contacted me about my final bill, the first I heard was about two months later when I received a letter from the debt colletion agency.

-------------
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 2:38pm
I just googled it there and someone suggested if I tell them I am moving to an area where upc isnt available they cant charge me the fee. Is there anywhere that it is not available? I thought it would available everywhere? 

Posted By: horsebox
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 2:42pm
Yes.

Parts of Dalkey are not supported yet by UPC - try Military Road or Station Road.

-------------
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to

Posted By: Trap junior
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 4:08pm
UPC are sh*te. The remote control is a joke and no interactive on bbc or sky is a pain in the hole when watching sports that are only on the red button

-------------
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 2:28pm

Anybody got Horizon in?

Got it today, wouldn't mind asking a few questions on it.....

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 2:46pm
Ask away..

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 3:35pm
Cheers Horsey,

Can you add to the apps that already come on the system?

-------------

Posted By: greenarmy
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 3:36pm

Anybody got Horizon in?

Have it since May. Ask away

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by greenarmy greenarmy wrote:

Anybody got Horizon in?

Have it since May. Ask away

Cheers lads,

Can you add to the apps that already come on the system?

Also, how do get your TV on your smart phone and iPad?

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 3:43pm
They are all pre installed apps so cant make any changes or add to whats available.

Download the horizon tv app from the iTunes store. You will have to be connected to your UPC wifi for the channels to work. The channels wont work on 3g or other wifi providers

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 3:54pm

They are all pre installed apps so cant make any changes or add to whats available.

Download the horizon tv app from the iTunes store. You will have to be connected to your UPC wifi for the channels to work. The channels wont work on 3g or other wifi providers

Shame about the apps. Having Netflix would be great, but I suppose they're competition to UPC really, do wouldn't make sense them adding it. Pity there isn't a web browser either.

Sorted the Tablet and iPhone. I have a bloody android phone and it isn't available on android until the end of the year.

Cheers....delighted with the Horizon, it's some advancement in technology...and certainly far from finished. Jaysus, once everyone has Smart TVs, TV networks are gonna find themselves in the same sh*t newspapers are in right now.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 4:19pm

Shame about the apps. Having Netflix would be great, but I suppose they're competition to UPC really, do wouldn't make sense them adding it. Pity there isn't a web browser either

Yeah a web browser would be have been handy. At the start only a few apps were available then UPC added more a few months ago. Cant see them adding Netflix anytime soon, like you say they are already competition with their own On Demand service.

Posted By: Hoosay
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 5:41pm
Virgin Media in the UK, who are now owned by the same crowd that own UPC have recently signed a deal with Netflix to have the Netflix app on their Tivo boxes so they might get it too.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 11:24am
By the way lads,

ANYONE who has UPC in their home, I'd highly recommend getting the Horizon package. For me, it cost zero extra to have it, but that's because I already had their broadband and home phone with them. Even if you don't have home phone and broadband with them, it is still worth enquiring about.

I work from home, so having the broadband speed is really advantageous. The Horizon TV however, is the future. There's still more evolving to be done, but being able to watch your TV on your mobile phone whilst on the go is definitely the future. The interface on Horizon is great also. This is only the start. When they open up the apps store, TV networks are in big trouble.

Highly-recommended. It's very good value.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 11:30am
I thought you can only pick up the tv on your phone and computer when connected to your home wifi. If thats the case I think its a bloody ridiculous offer.

-------------

Posted By: erimus
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 11:42am
i am completely bamboozled by this horizon thing.
does it make your tv the same as a smart tv or something?
what exactly is on offer with it?

-------------
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 11:47am
Oh no, it's not all done yet, and probbaly far from being perfect. But it is the future.

As it is, you can only access your TV on mobile and tablet once you are in the house and there are only so many channels you can watch on other devices; it's the future, but it ain't here yet. What Horizon has done is prove to us that that technology is there and UPC have it all in place.

As for the Smart TV, no - once again, UPC just have everything in place for that, but it's not there yet. You can't actually purchase Apps yet, you just have the Apps that the deal comes with at the moment. But once you can buy apps (in the future) then TV networks are in trouble. Obvioulsy once you can buy apps, then we'll all be buying Netflix and other sites which are sure to breathe out of the success of Netflix.

It's far from the future - but everything is in place.

Here's a guide to it's current benefits. My whole raving about it it, is mainly due to where TV viewing is going as opposed to where we are at right now.

http://www.uswitch.ie/broadband/guides/upc-horizon-tv/" rel="nofollow - http://www.uswitch.ie/broadband/guides/upc-horizon-tv/

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 11:49am
what apps are there

-------------

ROLL ON 2016

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 11:54am
Originally posted by erimus erimus wrote:

what apps are there

Well YouTube, which is a great App to have on your TV.

Facebook, Twitter, Wikepedia, The Irish Times, Journal, Score, Weather app, Google Maps, Rotten Tomatoes, CNN, Daily Motion, a few kids apps.....

It's quite contained. It ain't great yet. But when it gets to the stage of Smart TV, and when everyone has Smart TV, then TV will change forever. Nobody will ever be watching TV series at teh same time, everything will be On Demand.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 11:59am
It sounds like a basic smart tv without internet access to me

-------------

ROLL ON 2016

Posted By: Gaz
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 12:05pm
You're getting very excited SA LOL

SkyGo is a million times better, you can watch say Sky Sports 1 on your iPad when you're not in your own house, which is an actual benefit as I can not think of any instance that I'd want to watch RTE 1 on my iPad, when I'm sitting in my own gaf with the TV on in the background

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by erimus erimus wrote:

It sounds like a basic smart tv without internet access to me

Yeah, in terms of it's Smartness - it is very basic as things stand. But it is no extra charge, so to have this interface and accesibility to your TV - it is worth changing over for alone. But the broadband speed is exceptional. If you use the internet at home regularly in Ireland, you really need to be with UPC.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

SkyGo is a million times better, you can watch say Sky Sports 1 on your iPad when you're not in your own house, which is an actual benefit as I can not think of any instance that I'd want to watch RTE 1 on my iPad, when I'm sitting in my own gaf with the TV on in the background

Yeah SkyGo is a bit ahead of UPC in terms of accessibility to your TV. I'm mostly excited though about where TV is going as opposed to anything else. I'm just saying to those that have UPC to upgrade to Horizon, it's no extra cost and has everything set in place to show you where broadcasting is heading...

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 12:12pm

Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Yeah SkyGo is a bit ahead of UPC in terms of accessibility to your TV. I'm mostly excited though about where TV is going as opposed to anything else. I'm just saying to those that have UPC to upgrade to Horizon, it's no extra cost and has everything set in place to show you where broadcasting is heading...

Thumbs Up

-------------
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 12:49pm
Not convinced by it tbh, I have Apple TV and can throw anything up on the FC from the iPad/iPhone. Having to be connected to your UPC broadband to watch is abit sh*t but like SA says, when it evolves a bit then great. I can watch loads already with www.aertv.ie and netflix. Also the dodgy boxes are huge now, my mate is a host so I get if for €0

Posted By: AntrimMan
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 12:52pm
So hang on.

You can watch the tv on your mobile device, but only in your own home, connected to your own wifi. Aye, sounds class alright...

I know you say it'll be developed but whats the f**king point of even launching that as a feature.

-------------
@AntrimMan85

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 1:52pm
Think some people are mixing this up. The iphone/ipad app is very limited and has to be used when connected to UPC wifi. What we are mostly talking about here is the actual UPC Horizon box for your TV which has the potential to be much better than the Sky box.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzHF2P2ZeeY" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzHF2P2ZeeY

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 2:09pm
The app to watch this will from non a UPC network is a work in progress.

The browse menu is brutal and when you go to info on a program the writing is waaay too small to read.

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 4:08pm

Not convinced by it tbh, I have Apple TV and can throw anything up on the FC from the iPad/iPhone. Having to be connected to your UPC broadband to watch is abit sh*t but like SA says, when it evolves a bit then great. I can watch loads already with www.aertv.ie and netflix. Also the dodgy boxes are huge now, my mate is a host so I get if for €0
I've got Apple TV too, it's OK, but needs more apps, I really only use it for Netflix and for sharing stuff on the TV from my iPad, which is the best thing about it. Most of the iTunes films available are available on my cable on demand service and are cheaper there. I've had it a couple of years now but Apple haven't really done anything with it to make it better.

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 9:02am
Was onto them as Im already a customer to see what the craic was
Scumbags have no deals for existing customers on it. To get the full pack its 73pm whereas new customers get it for 50 for the 6months.f**k them. Off to sky

-------------

ROLL ON 2016

Posted By: elroy45
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 9:44am
Was gonna 'upgrade' to horizon.  For the same price of about 70 quid a month, I can get the horizon tv.  I currently just have tv and BB.  I will get a phone at 'no extra cost' (wont use it anyway).  but the real reason I decided not to go with a fairly average 'upgrade' is that my BB would be limited each month.  I would need to pay an extra 5 quid a month to keep my unlimited BB.  I do alot of streaming online so no way am i giving that up/paying extra for it.

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Hoosay Hoosay wrote:

I've got Apple TV too, it's OK, but needs more apps, I really only use it for Netflix and for sharing stuff on the TV from my iPad, which is the best thing about it. Most of the iTunes films available are available on my cable on demand service and are cheaper there. I've had it a couple of years now but Apple haven't really done anything with it to make it better.

Jailbreak the sh*t out of that lad

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 10:16am
I stil cant understand why anybody woupd bring out that "sky go" type service that will only work in your own house. Its a laughable offer.   Theyll be bringing out chocolate teapots next.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 10:17am

Can ya jailbreak the latest Apple TV? Think you can only do the earlier versions 

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 10:19am

How and what will that allow me to do?

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2013 at 10:39am
BF tried to get UPC Horizon into new apartment but they said its not available there Confused

Going to get Sky instead but dont want their internet as its very slow. Any suggestions on internet providers that are as fast as UPC? 

Thanks, 

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2013 at 10:45am
Eircom are running on eFibre now

Have a look at this too -

http://www.uswitch.ie/broadband/?gclid=CLPJlPKtkbsCFQlb3god_lwAjg

-------------
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.

Posted By: Cotsy
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 11:46am
I have just bought a smart tv and moved into a new place and am going to get a UPC package for tv and bb. Are all the UPC packages now with horizon? From reading this thread i am still not sure what it is tbh.

If i can choose between a horizon package and a normal (fibre??) package would i be mad not to go for the horizon one?

-------------
Bohs Till I Die

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 12:03pm
no they have other 'basics' bundles. Horizon is a load of hot air, you'd want to be a serious recorder of programmes to have much benefit. They rang me there last week to save me money. This will be interesting I thought, so I let yer man waffle away. He kindly offered me Horizon for an extra €1.50pm. Says I to him, I thought you were going to save me money. not cost me more. Chancers

http://www.upc.ie/bundles/tv-broadband/" rel="nofollow - http://www.upc.ie/bundles/tv-broadband/

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 12:59pm
Cheers Sham, so as i have a smart TV would i be as well to just go with a normal bundle? Only 2 of us and never really record all that many shows.

-------------
Bohs Till I Die

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 1:04pm
Personally, telly is crap. I'll be getting rid once my contract is up and sticking an aerial up to get Saorview and free sat from the UK. 

I'm on the value 60 plan, but got my broadband speed doubled the last time I threatened to leave. If you don't record much then go for that. They'll include a free phone and if you can trust yourself and more importantly her, to only use it when its free, then grand, if not, tell them not to send the phone or you'll burn their office block in East Point. 

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 1:26pm
Top man Sham.

Torn between the value 60 plan and the horizon select extra 120. Not too much difference in the price but a fair few more channels on the horizon one.

I am hopeless with this stuff.

-------------
Bohs Till I Die

Posted By: Sono
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 1:28pm
Anyone looking to leave UPC broadband should ring up and say you're leaving, I did this and it went from €44 to €22 per month with one call. Don't think it's worth full price myself, €22 is about all it's worth, good broadband though

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Cotsy Cotsy wrote:

Top man Sham.

Torn between the value 60 plan and the horizon select extra 120. Not too much difference in the price but a fair few more channels on the horizon one.

I am hopeless with this stuff.
Trust me, the vast majority of channels are crap. You look and see the number of channels and think, jaysus thats great. I bet though you will never watch most of them. The only excellent thing about UPC is the broadband

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Anyone looking to leave UPC broadband should ring up and say you're leaving, I did this and it went from €44 to €22 per month with one call. Don't think it's worth full price myself, €22 is about all it's worth, good broadband though

Dont hink you can actually get broadband as a stand alone anymore, or at least its not on their site. You with them a while? I'll chance my arm when the contract is up to keep the broadband only. Eircom are now fibre powered in my area but their price for BB alone is €1 dearer than UPC's lowest priced BB and TV package, so makes no sense 

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 1:55pm
Got it 12 months ago Sham, reckon if you wanted stand alone they would probably say yes, these companies are desperate to keep customers in today's market.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 2:09pm

Got it 12 months ago Sham, reckon if you wanted stand alone they would probably say yes, these companies are desperate to keep customers in today's market.

yeah and sure if not, I'll just get the Eircom one or Wimax at €19 pm for life

Posted By: 9fingers
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 2:49pm

yeah and sure if not, I'll just get the Eircom one or Wimax at €19 pm for life

Eircom BB isn't a patch on UPC. UPCs BB is the only thing keeping half their customers with them I'd imagine. Sky are far superior for tv

Posted By: Fitzinho
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 4:48pm
The last two times I told Sky I was leaving they gave first gave me 6 months free (whole package, HD, 3D, movies, sports, multiroom etc €109 pm value) when that ran out they gave me the next 9 months half price which ends this December when I'll be cancelling again Wink

I'd rather have nothing than UPC TV, very poor products for this day and age. Great broadband though

Posted By: Declanus
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 11:21am
Is the €1 a month deal  for sky sports (for 1st 6 months) on upc a genuine deal or are there catches. Half thinking of changing from sky because the heavy rain recently messed with the sky dish reception.

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 11:29am
18 month contract and must take out the horizon essential/complete bundle

Upc broadband is good
Tv is pathetic

-------------

ROLL ON 2016

Posted By: seanyshuffler
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 11:33am
Father is thinking of changing over to UPC from Sky. Is the tele really cat lads?

Posted By: DUBLIN DOC
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 11:40am
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Father is thinking of changing over to UPC from Sky. Is the tele really cat lads?
No problems with it for me seany to be honest

-------------
When all is said and done there is nothing left to say or do

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

It's shocking, if he is used to sky and switches to UPC he will be driven mad, terrible move if he does it, as erimus says their broadband is great, TV is a joke.

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 1:34pm
Does anyone know much about sky sports mobile tv?
Is it any good for watching games?

-------------

ROLL ON 2016

Posted By: SuperDave84
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 1:36pm
The broadband router isn't the best - it sometimes drops on me for no discernible reason. It seems to be an interference issue, which should be easily remedied if you just buy a new router. Don't forget, though, that UPC retain ownership of all the boxes, unlike sky, who give them to you.

The TV selection is okay (minus sky atlantic of course) but the big issue is ease of use - the box is slow and often counter-intuitive. While it does let you record four things at a time, it can be a right pain in the hoop at times.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 1:42pm
At times? Come off it, there is never a time I use the UPC box in the folks that I don't get frustrated, menu is rubbish, remote and box response time is awful, the amount of times it flicks you back to channel 100 is ridiculous, you have to be so quick with the numbers for the TV channel yet the remote isn't one that's easy to use, an awful TV provider

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 1:44pm

At times? Come off it, there is never a time I use the UPC box in the folks that I don't get frustrated, menu is rubbish, remote and box response time is awful, the amount of times it flicks you back to channel 100 is ridiculous, you have to be so quick with the numbers for the TV channel yet the remote isn't one that's easy to use, an awful TV provider

LOL think you could be the problem the sono

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 1:46pm
no sono is spot on
dreadful piece of equipment

-------------

ROLL ON 2016

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 1:48pm
Jaysus i just hope neither of you drive LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

It's garbage, compared to sky there is absolutely no competition who wins out, I presume you have had experiences of both and can comment on both?

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 2:14pm
I have experience of both. Sky is a joy to use in comparison.

-------------

Posted By: The U
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 2:18pm
I agree with the above, a few years with upc you start to put up with it, then you are using sky at a mate's house and you realize how easier life could be Cry

Posted By: garytwigg21
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 2:19pm
You have to quicker than Usain Bolt to use the UPC remote. f**king thing is a nightmare.

-------------
This time next year........

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 2:23pm

Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

It's garbage, compared to sky there is absolutely no competition who wins out, I presume you have had experiences of both and can comment on both?

I have the sono, but i am not that fussy as i don't sit there morning noon and night watching the goggle box, its more or less for the kids, i just keep playing 1 against the other when contract runs out and get a deal from either supplier, as you said if you are not quick enough deciding the channel number it will go back to 100 but i have no problem with quickness as regards picture quality and anything else i have no problem with either but some people like yourself can be fussy little feckers Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 2:26pm
I have experiences of UPC and SKY.  The sky box and remote are way better. The UPC ones drive you crackers. You can be flickign the channels then all of a sudden 'your recordings' pops up for no reason.  pressing 402 is a pain. I get 4 and 0 in thne you press the 2 button and it goes to channel 100.  Some fault with the remore/box buts its like that 60% of the time. Other times it works fine.   The other issue is when sky decide to show sport through the red button  and with upc you cant access that.

The only think I like better about UPC is the old terrestrial channels are bundled together instead of being scattered around like sky have.

-------------

Posted By: Saint Tom
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 4:27pm
The terrestrial channels from 101 to 111 is a big plus imo

-------------
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation

Posted By: McG
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 4:08pm
Anyone know if you can watch sky sports on the horizon app yet? Too hungover to stay up and would much rather watch in the cot on ipad.

-------------
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Posted By: Zico
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 4:09pm
No.

Only a few select channels.

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Anyone know if you can watch sky sports on the horizon app yet? Too hungover to stay up and would much rather watch in the cot on ipad.

Just stream it through the puffin app, job done.

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 9:50pm
Although I have UPC, this is more to do with the SCART cable. I'm running a SCART from the TV through a false Chimney Breast to the UPC box contained ina  unit to the side. The cable is 10ft I think. The problem is that every so often the TV will flick with the screen going black and the source status appearing in the top left corner, the same source status that would pop up for a moment when changing from say HDMI 1 to EXT or PC..... Anybody else running a similar length cable and suffering /suffered this issue?

Note: I've tried the fridge and freezer but no joy. Also tried any other unhelpful smart arse response tooLOL

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 9:54pm
Burn it all, ring sky and get yourself a proper supplier.

That's my plan once the contract is up.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Burn it all, ring sky and get yourself a proper supplier.

That's my plan once the contract is up.
Otherwise happy Dave, issue is the SCART which I bought myself

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 10:14pm
Was it a chape scart ya bought?

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 10:27pm
Aye Power City job. Looked up about replacing the scart with a more expensive version, but it would appear that expensive wans are no better generally.

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 10:32pm
while we are at it is there any difference in getting an expensive HDMI cable as opposed to one that costs 10 beans?

-------------

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

while we are at it is there any difference in getting an expensive HDMI cable as opposed to one that costs 10 beans?

none.

Posted By: Guest
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 5:51am
Horizon is a load of sh*te. I changed mine back to the previous box 2 weeks ago and its much better.
The Horizon kept disconnecting, wouldn't record properly and the BB was a nightmare. Glad i went back

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 3:41pm

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Just stream it through the puffin app, job done.

What is this puffin app you speak of?

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 4:58pm
App which supports flash player on iPad SA, below is an example, not a great still photo but it's spot on normally, all down to the quality of stream really.

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 5:11pm
Oh nice.

Always wanted live ball when on the go.

I've had a quick peak in the App Store but am just seeing Puffin browser...Is that right?

Can you tell me the full title of the actual app? Cheers.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 5:41pm
Puffin web browser free is what you want.

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 5:48pm

You're a ledge.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 5:50pm
Oh - just had a quick look at it there...How do I find a live match on it? Do I have to go to firstrowsports on the HTML bar?

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 5:54pm
Yes

-------------
AS YOU WERE McGx

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 6:09pm

You're a ledge.

Coming from a legend such as yourself SA I truly am honoured

Puffin will support flash it's up to you where you get the stream from, I use firstrowsports quite regularly. There are a lot of popup ads but once you manage to shut them down and make it full screen you're laughing.

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 6:16pm
Lovely stuff...

Don't suppose you know anyway that you could watch live streams via the Playstation 4?

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 6:30pm
I know it can definitely be done on Xbox cos I've seen it, I'll ask about ps4

Posted By: Zico
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2014 at 7:48pm

Lovely stuff...

Don't suppose you know anyway that you could watch live streams via the Playstation 4?

FFS
Do you want the lads to pop around to service your car while they are at it  LOL

-------------
I want to eat your ....

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 6:14pm
just got in horizon today. Very disappointing I have to say. The interface is sh*te. Overly complicated and doesnt allow for easy flicking around to see whats on compared to my old upc box. The wifi so far (supposed to be 240mb) is disconnecting to my phone and laptop. Assumed that horizon go allowed you to view sky sports but no. Absolutely raging we didnt get sky now.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 6:29pm

just got in horizon today. Very disappointing I have to say. The interface is sh*te. Overly complicated and doesnt allow for easy flicking around to see whats on compared to my old upc box. The wifi so far (supposed to be 240mb) is disconnecting to my phone and laptop. Assumed that horizon go allowed you to view sky sports but no. Absolutely raging we didnt get sky now.
You will never get 240mb on wifi, most you can expect is 45mb. Wired speeds will be greater but unless your equipment is capable of speeds of 240 then you wont get that speed. If more than one device is connected it will slow it down too. 

I had the issue during the week of the phone dropping the wifi signal. Try the disconnect for 30 secs and see how that goes. If no joy then reset the box by the button at the rear. If that fails they can do a reset from their side, which is what rectified my wifi issue.

Posted By: GREENISLE
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 6:29pm

TJ Just to let you know I changed to sky there at start of the month and it has been an absolute nightmare. Am waiting since 30/1 for broadband and still haven't got it, sky go is grand but documentary selection isn't as good as upc.. Wish I hadn't changed tbh.

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by GREENISLE GREENISLE wrote:

TJ Just to let you know I changed to sky there at start of the month and it has been an absolute nightmare. Am waiting since 30/1 for broadband and still haven't got it, sky go is grand but documentary selection isn't as good as upc.. Wish I hadn't changed tbh.

Really? Where you live? 

The UPC is doing my head in already. Seriously tempted to switch back to the old box. What fooking eejit thought he was being all clever with the menu and channel listing interface?  Fook sake keep it simple and quick.  Right pain in the hole to use.  I thought the old box was bad but this is worse.

I rang upc there sham and they reckon its all good with the speed.Confused  My phone is disconnecting to it and the internet is so slow I cant pick up that horizon go to try it out.

-------------

Posted By: rossieman
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 7:19pm
Was looking at a Horizon box a few weeks ago and it does seem overly complicated.Infairness to Sky their interface is excellent. Pity both Sky and UPC are way too expensive for the quality of content.

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 8:44pm
Horizon box is bollix. However, the UPC broadband speed is usually excellent. Try plugging your laptop into the router to see how fast it is when wired. Over wifi I got 86 Mbps, and I just tested that there now, when plugged in, it is even higher.

That's with the Ookla test too, so I trust it. However, the router UPC supply is shyte and we had to get a new one. Setting it up wasn't that straightforward either and involved some fancy stuff that my housemate did with the box (yes, while I was making the dinner, ha ha ha, you unfunny poxes) that I wouldn't have had a clue about, plus it cost about €100, but the speeds are now consistently excellent.

The connection is good, it's just the UPC hardware that's poor.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net