Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What team to support?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

LOI football is the best standard of live football for the viewing public on this island.

It my not be of a standard acceptable to some particularly to the customers of the multi billion pound industry that is the EPL but it is nontheless the best league in Ireland.

Whether you opt to support a league played in your own country, generally played by Irish lads from your own area, supported by Irish people from your own locality or prefer to support a league in another country thats up to you.

As an Irish person who loves football its great to have the option to support a league in my own country instead of helping to finance Wayne Rooneys latest hair transplant.

And as a LOI i do feel more patriotic to Irish Football than those who dismiss the LOI and chose other vehicles to demonstate their lifelong support.

To answer the original question go to a few games, give it a bit of time and make a call then..........

top post Clap
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Sponsored Links

Dukla View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dukla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Rovers are Dublin's club and are the default setting

FFS LOL
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by UCD AFC UCD AFC wrote:

I've been to both the above, and their fans have brought big crowds to UCD...point still stands - you have something against the league for whatever reason and are wasting your time trying to turn people away from it?

I don't have an issue with the LOI. I have an issue with LOI fans.

@ 9 fingers - I'm not from Darndale

but you're not from Greenhills either so my point still stands. Also to reference a tv3 investigates tv show is f**kin hilarious
TBWRA View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBWRA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 3:06pm
Using a tv3 documentary to reference LOI football even as a WUM
"The Football Grounds of Europe" about Dalymount that :- "You walk down lanes you'd expect to find a backstreet mechanic only to stumble onto a national stadium steeped in tradition and history"
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 3:06pm

Originally posted by Keeling97 Keeling97 wrote:

Hi,
I'm located near Swords, Co. Dublin and I really want to get into LOI football.
The two teams nearest to me are Shelbourne and Bohemians but I was wondering what both the teams are like?
This might seem stupid but I don't just want to choose one of them and then learn that all the fans are scum (not being offence).
I am hoping that someone could enlighten me a bit about the two teams and even if you don't support either of the two teams could you tell me what their away supporters were like?
Thanks.

I wouldn't bother supporting a LOI team.

You'll go to a game and they will start calling you a barstooler and start shouting 'who are ya' in an English accent.

You really are a scummy ****. 1/you always lurk on this section 2/ you actually jumped on the Shams bandwagon at one stage before discovering that supporting a team means actually travelling and going to games, not just clicking 401 on your remote control.

As for the comment below

You'll go to a game and they will start calling you a barstooler and start shouting 'who are ya' in an English accent.

Isn't 'your' beloved National teams songbook infact just knock offs of British club sides chants.

Altogether now OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by The Q Man The Q Man wrote:

Hi,
The two teams nearest to me are Shelbourne and Bohemians but I was wondering what both the teams are like?
This might seem stupid but I don't just want to choose one of them and then learn that all the fans are scum (not being offence).
I am hoping that someone could enlighten me a bit about the two teams and even if you don't support either of the two teams could you tell me what their away supporters were like?
Thanks.

I wouldn't bother supporting a LOI team.

You really are a scummy ****. 1/you always lurk on this section 2/ you actually jumped on the Shams bandwagon at one stage before discovering that supporting a team means actually travelling and going to games, not just clicking 401 on your remote control.

As for the comment below

Isn't 'your' beloved National teams songbook infact just knock offs of British club sides chants.

Altogether now OLE OLE OLE OLE OLE

Correct on everything you said there Quey.

I did go to games, alot of them too but stopped for number of reasons.
I still follow the league, and hope Shams do well.

And I'll probably go a few more games too.

But my point still stands. LOI supporters have a massive chip on their shoulder.
And the behaviour of the some LOI fans is embarrassing.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 3:24pm

Hi,
Thanks.

Your more than welcome at the Tolka and for your own sake I'm glad you don't have the option of having to support franchise fingal they wen't bust thankfully SmileSmileSmile.
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 3:39pm
Horsebox - Agree that the behaviour of some LOI is at times embarrassing, but they represent a tiny amount of the cohort of LOI fans and are usually "wannabes" who only turn up to throw a few shapes. Realistically when has there ever been any real trouble at LOI games ? In my lifetime the only night i can remember real trouble involving a LOI team was the night Bohs played Rangers in the UEFA Cup and that was nearly 30 years ago.

As regards the old chip on the shoulder chestnut, you could have a valid point but imo LOI fans feel somewhat agrieved that the League they love unconditionally receives so much negativity from people who regard themseleves as football fans particularly when those fans rarely attended matches....
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 3:51pm

As always lads, it's a minority who give it a bad name, be it spotty fookheads trying to fight (with other fans or themselves), the idiot in Sligo branding a decent man a "blow-in" or other chips on their shoulders (they normally have several).

I would never discourage anyone from going to L of I games (be it once, twice or infinitely).

People who dismiss the L of I as being sh*te while never actually going to games really aren't worth listening to, about anything.

Finally Horsey, agree with you on many things but bringing that abysmal and amateurish TV3 programme...........scarleh Embarrassed
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Snowie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Rovers are Dublin's club and are the default setting. Unless you have a family reason or psychiatric problem, then you would follow one of the smaller clubs. 

Wicklow's number 2
TBWRA View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBWRA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 4:03pm
Having been away with bohs all over Europe , Ireland all over Europe and indeed United I can safely say 100 times over the least offensive behaviour has come from LOI fans in fact does not even come close to replicating some of the scenes I ve witnessed with the latter
"The Football Grounds of Europe" about Dalymount that :- "You walk down lanes you'd expect to find a backstreet mechanic only to stumble onto a national stadium steeped in tradition and history"
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 4:04pm

The Green Street wannabes was on TV3 not so long ago and if you look on youtube you will also find these lads.

FFS only seen this post now TV3
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 4:09pm
The TV3 doc. not the old "traffic cone" armageddon outside the Hill 16 pub again. LOL
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 4:48pm

Originally posted by UCD AFC UCD AFC wrote:

I've been to both the above, and their fans have brought big crowds to UCD...point still stands - you have something against the league for whatever reason and are wasting your time trying to turn people away from it?

I don't have an issue with the LOI. I have an issue with LOI fans.

@ 9 fingers - I'm not from Darndale

Why wouldn't I go to a LOI game? I follow football and enjoyed going to these games.

However some of the behaviour of these so called fans are just embarrassing.

The behavior from small amounts of fans from every club in the world can be embarrassing or cringy. There are saps everywhere. This is not limited to LOI, there are a fair few in YBIG too.
Chips don't bounce
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 5:12pm
If you were to judge any fan group on its ignorant minority you would never support anybody.  

Ireland has muppets as fans so do Celtic, Liverpool, Spurs, Man United, Rovers, Pats, Bohs, Rangers, England the whole lot of them. 

Not supporting a team or going to games because you think some people there are muppets is Embarrassed especially when you also shout for Celtic and Liverpool.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 5:15pm
Some fine fishing here by Horsebox by the way.  BSM would be proud.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 5:17pm
Exactly i'm sure our national team is supported by gangsters, drug dealers, wife beaters, politicans etc. but thats no reason no to support them.........
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2013 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by TBWRA TBWRA wrote:

Having been away with bohs all over Europe , Ireland all over Europe and indeed United I can safely say 100 times over the least offensive behaviour has come from LOI fans in fact does not even come close to replicating some of the scenes I ve witnessed with the latter
Comma's man, comma's
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic