Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 214215216217218 238>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 7:24am
First half was brutal from Spurs.... the defence was all over the shop.
Walker, Trippier and Rose all sold recently. 
Vertonghen and Alderweireld are having poor seasons.

That’s okay when you can score goals but with Kane and Son out that compounds the problem.

They won’t beat de Germans away.

Main thing is to qualify for the champions league next summer. Top 5 might be enough and I expect they will finish 5th.

Sponsored Links

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 10:04am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Mourinho starting his usual public plea for money to spend on new players. 

Why doesn't he just accept the squad he has and do his business with owners behind doors?

Not a clue. It's wildly counterproductive. For a start, you alienate yourself with your owners. It isn't conducive to a good working relationship.

Also, it undermines morale, in two important ways. Firstly, it makes the players you have believe you do not trust them and will replace them given the opportunity; that is not conducive to them performing well. Secondly, it implicitly gives the players an excuse that the team is not good enough. They might believe *they* are good enough, but the fact is that it gives players an excuse to take it easy, if they believe that the manager thinks they aren't capable of winning.

It's awful management, across the board.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 10:54am
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

get simeone in to rescue this for you terri🤘

I make no claims for Mourinho (or Spurs).

But you might be advised to get past Atletico first, before you start gloating about Spurs.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 10:59am

Why doesn't he just accept the squad he has and do his business with owners behind doors?

Because that's his way and he can no more change it than a hyena his spots.

In the end it doesn't matter whether he whinges publicly or privately, Levy will give him whatever he's prepared to give him and no more.

If JM meets his targets all will be happy, if he doesn't, Levy will sack him* and Spurs will move on.

* - Hopefully next week (if not sooner.) LOL
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 11:19am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Not a clue. It's wildly counterproductive. For a start, you alienate yourself with your owners. It isn't conducive to a good working relationship.
At most clubs that would be a problem, but Levy is a cold fish i.e. entirely without emotion or sentiment when it comes to business. For instance, he and Poch were close personally (even going on holiday together), but when Levy decided he had to go, off he went. The point being that Poch evidently doesn't bear a grudge about it either. It was the same with Redknapp and can be the same with Mourinho, providing the latter is prepared to accept it.

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Also, it undermines morale, in two important ways. Firstly, it makes the players you have believe you do not trust them and will replace them given the opportunity; that is not conducive to them performing well. Secondly, it implicitly gives the players an excuse that the team is not good enough. They might believe *they* are good enough, but the fact is that it gives players an excuse to take it easy, if they believe that the manager thinks they aren't capable of winning.

It's awful management, across the board.
If you look at Spurs recent games, the one thing which has stood out is that even when under the cosh (eg Man City or Leipzig), the players he's been picking are still giving their all for the whole 90 minutes. That was not the case over the last few months under Poch, where there were half a dozen malcontents who were poisoning the atmosphere.

Fact is, JM has certain players he likes (eg Davies, Dier) and others he doesn't (Rose, maybe Sessegnon or Ndembele?). The latter get discarded while he builds a siege mentality around the former, against other teams, referees, governing bodies, the media and even the Board, if need be.

It's worked for him before at different clubs and even if he didn't manage it at Man U, that's not to say he won't at Spurs.

(Btw, just so everyone knows, whether or not it succeeds at Spurs, I still won't like him or his methods. LOL)
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

And the Spursy One keeps up the good start. Not long till Terri  is singing Jose's name 

True.

All together now: "Fcuk off Mourinho, fcuk off Mourinho, fcuk off Mourinho, fcuk off Mourinho...."

And in the meantime, I remind myself that every day he's at The Lane is another day closer to his leaving.

Yep, like a prisoner chalking up another mark on his cell wall, today is one day closer to our release from our sentence.

Worth a bump after yesterday's debacle.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 10:54pm
Wanyama signs for Montreal Impact 
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 9:41pm
Jose is showing that he has all the qualities to be a future Ireland manager!
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 10:53pm
Eric DierClap
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 11:07pm
Dier jumped into the crowd to fight with a supporter according to Twitter
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 11:13pm
Fair play to him! Clap
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 12:33am
A bloke behind me commented that it was "like watching Spurs from 10 years ago".

It was 1-0 at the time.

Says it all, really.

(Well apart from "Fcuk off now Mourinho!", which can never be said often enough.)

Edited by Territorial - 05 Mar 2020 at 12:34am
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 10:50am
So what happened with Dier?
Was he going after someone for racially abusing his team mate, or for saying something to his brother?
Also, if its the latter, how did Dier hear someone in the crowd saying something to his brother who I assume is also in the crowd, from the pitch?

strange story

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 05 Mar 2020 at 10:51am
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 11:29am
Some demolition job Mourinho is doing on that club. He's really gone to town on it - even by his lofty standards.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

So what happened with Dier?
Was he going after someone for racially abusing his team mate, or for saying something to his brother?
Also, if its the latter, how did Dier hear someone in the crowd saying something to his brother who I assume is also in the crowd, from the pitch?

strange story

Didn't see it myself, but the new stadium has a "Tunnel Club", a seated section immediately on either side of, well, the players' tunnel. There is only a perspex screen separating the fans in that section from the players as they enter and exit the field of play. Apparently Dier's bother was sitting there.

My guess is that Dier went over to his brother on his way off the pitch and s.o. nearby said something, probably "close up and personal", leading to Eric Dier nearly becoming Eric Cantona before someone pulled him off.

Assuming he didn't actually hit anyone, then "Fair play to him", I say - far too many fans think they are free to hand it out, then act all offended when a player gives it back.

Btw, when the stadium opened, a seat in the Tunnel Club cost £18k for the season, but they didn't sell them singly - you had to buy them in pairs (£36k). I imagine the ("free") food and drink is quite nice.

Edited by Territorial - 05 Mar 2020 at 11:47am
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Some demolition job Mourinho is doing on that club. He's really gone to town on it - even by his lofty standards.

Honestly, I have believed that Spurs’ model was built on sand, and would likely run out at a certain point. Like Southampton’s model in 2013- 2016 where they accepted any good offer for a player or or manager, to reinvest, it could only last so long, and after Koeman left it became exposed.

Spurs’ failure to upgrade over several windows came back to haunt them as some form of malaise set in after the Champions League Final last term, and I feel it is not recoverable with the current team and manager. Losing Kane has been a disaster, but there is more to it. 
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Honestly, I have believed that Spurs’ model was built on sand, and would likely run out at a certain point. Like Southampton’s model in 2013- 2016 where they accepted any good offer for a player or or manager, to reinvest, it could only last so long, and after Koeman left it became exposed.

Spurs’ failure to upgrade over several windows came back to haunt them as some form of malaise set in after the Champions League Final last term, and I feel it is not recoverable with the current team and manager. Losing Kane has been a disaster, but there is more to it. 

Yeah the lack of investment in the squad has hurt them, but it's also somewhat understandable given the cost outlays involved in the new stadium which, to be fair, appears to be a top notch facility.

Unfortunately for them Mourinho is the wrong manager at the wrong time - and at the wrong point in his career. The game has moved on significantly from his when he was in his pomp and he has not kept up with it at all. The lack of player turnover in the squad means the whole environment is likely to get progressively more poisonous as time moves on, whilst he also damages the development of their younger talent like Parrott (who may have issues behind the scenes but regardless doesn't seem to be getting managed well by Mourinho). Has he had any, even relative, successes since he moved to the club? Possibly yer man Tanganga but I'd be surprised if he hasn't fallen out with him or hung him out to dry in some fashion before the season is out.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 12:36pm
Struggling to figure out how this is Mourinho’s fault tbh.

Around December alot of the anger was directed at Poch for how out of shape the team looked.

Since then he’s had the small matter of going without a recognised striker for rest of the season, and wasn’t backed by Levy to get a new one, which hasn’t gone unnoticed.

He has a reputation but on this occasion he’s been made the scapegoat

Edited by coyne - 05 Mar 2020 at 12:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 214215216217218 238>
  Share Topic