You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 211212213214215 238>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:37pm
I'd say Pocchetino is just as glad to get the sack. His time as manager had run it's course
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

I'd say Pocchetino is just as glad to get the sack.

Don't you think he'd have much preferred to go on his own terms?

His time as manager had run it's course

Maybe, but it needn't ever have come to this, had he been given the backing he deserved i.e. get rid of the trouble-makers and replace them with players who want to play for the club.

As for Mourinho, I never liked him, so I'm not going to start now.

He'll either win trophies or he won't. If he does, he'll use that to repair his CV and get a job at a bigger club. And if he doesn't, he'll be off in a blaze of recrimination and controversy, with three years (max) for either eventuality.

Which makes the appointment incredibly short-sighted, whereas if backed properly, Poch could have been there for another 5 years, longer even.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

His time as manager had run it's course

Maybe, but it needn't ever have come to this, had he been given the backing he deserved i.e. get rid of the trouble-makers and replace them with players who want to play for the club.

As for Mourinho, I never liked him, so I'm not going to start now.

He'll either win trophies or he won't. If he does, he'll use that to repair his CV and get a job at a bigger club. And if he doesn't, he'll be off in a blaze of recrimination and controversy, with three years (max) for either eventuality.

Which makes the appointment incredibly short-sighted, whereas if backed properly, Poch could have been there for another 5 years, longer even.

And receive no pay-off? I'd say he's very happy with his current situation. 

He can sit tight and wait for the pick of jobs to come up. Will end up at Bayern, Arsenal, United or Real. Not bad options for someone who has just been sacked.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
ChesterCopperpot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 2:25pm
I can just about understand why Spurs got rid of Poch, but I can't get my head around Jose being appointed? He's like the anti Spurs Manager, attitude, tactics, pretty much the whole lot
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

And receive no pay-off? I'd say he's very happy with his current situation. 

He can sit tight and wait for the pick of jobs to come up. Will end up at Bayern, Arsenal, United or Real. Not bad options for someone who has just been sacked.

Except it doesn't usually work like that these days.

If you have, say, 3 years left on a contract, unless originally negotiated, then they don't pay you the full 3 years on dismissal. Often there is a break clause of, say, 1 year. Otherwise how do you imagine clubs with far less money than Spurs manage to sack managers so frequently?

And whatever the amount due, they invariably pay you it in installments, which cease when/if you get another job, on the basis that you couldn't do two jobs at the same time, so can't expect to get paid for two. (Unless you're Michael O'Neill Wink)

Which is why eg when Sven-Goren was sacked by England, he didn't take up another job for exactly 364 days i.e. his pay-off terms were for 12 months!

Presumably Sven was happy to sit on his arse, because the FA were paying him more in a year than he might have got elsewhere. But I'm sure Poch could negotiate a higher salary for his next job than Spurs were paying, so that if/when the Big One does come up, he's not likely to wait instead until his payments from Spurs stop, but take it while he can.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by ChesterCopperpot ChesterCopperpot wrote:

I can just about understand why Spurs got rid of Poch, but I can't get my head around Jose being appointed? He's like the anti Spurs Manager, attitude, tactics, pretty much the whole lot

Yep (just about) and Yep (no doubt).

JM will never be popular with Spurs fans, I reckon he'll only ever be tolerated if/when he wins trophies.

I really cannot believe Levy/Lewis have forgotten this guy, considering it was they (ENIC) who sacked him soon after they took over:

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 3:07pm
I'm aware how the pay-off's work. Pardew only received 1 year from Newcastle even though he had an 8 year contract. 

But it's still better to receive 1/3 of the value of your contract (using your example above as I'm not sure how many years MP has left) than nothing. 

Especially when your job prospects are actually enhanced by the sacking, rather than harmed by it.

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 3:16pm
It depends entirely on the negotiations. If, for example, Poch was to get a job that only paid him 80% of his Spurs wage, then Spurs could well be liable for the remaining 20% for the time that remained on his Spurs contract.... unless their discussions and settlement precluded this.

I don't know the terms of the discussions or settlement between Poch and Spurs, but it could have been a very simple wedge of cash, on the basis that he is likely to get another job that pays as well at the end of the season, if not before; it could easily be something like "we will pay you til the end of this season and that's it" and his reply was "fine, but I'm not paying anything back if I get a new job before then", and both sides were happy with that outcome.

There are plenty of variables and each discussion is different. In this case, where Poch has a reasonable chance at getting a higher paid job reasonably soon, you could make an argument that that strengthened Spurs hand, as it meant they are on the hook for less if they just sacked him and he gets a new job. Of course, they need to minimise the risk that he sits back and does nothing, which is why I'd guess they paid him off for a limited period, with potential upside for both teams: Spurs are in a stronger position than if they'd just sacked him and Poch is in a stronger position than if he kept his job, because he now gets a wedge of cash from Spurs and the potential at a new, higher paid job somewhere else.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 3:47pm

I'm aware how the pay-off's work. Pardew only received 1 year from Newcastle even though he had an 8 year contract. 

But it's still better to receive 1/3 of the value of your contract (using your example above as I'm not sure how many years MP has left) than nothing.

You're overlooking the option of negotiating an amicable settlement eg "here's a nice sum which saves us money, but still allows you to take up the next job immediately"

Especially when your job prospects are actually enhanced by the sacking, rather than harmed by it.

"Enhanced"?

If you're the owner of a big club, you don't want to be paying out big money to someone who may just have a "dodgy" attititude, who you could have to sack again in another year ot two.

Of course, this is just the first blemish on MP's CV, but he can't afford to fall out with his next employer, even if it's not his fault, otherwise he could start to gain a reputation.

Which is why it is ALWAYS better to leave on good terms, if only to leave the door open to coming back again some day.

Remember, Poch was a player at Espanol before he signed for PSG, then ended up playing for them again later, before being appointed manager soon after that.

And I say all that as a huge fan of his, putting the blame for his departure at 90%+ down to Levy - if not more!

Edited by Territorial - 21 Nov 2019 at 3:48pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

It depends entirely on the negotiations. If, for example, Poch was to get a job that only paid him 80% of his Spurs wage, then Spurs could well be liable for the remaining 20% for the time that remained on his Spurs contract.... unless their discussions and settlement precluded this.

Poch isn't going to be interested in a club which can only afford to pay him 80% of his Spurs wage, or worse still, could afford to pay the full whack, but are holding out for Spurs to pay the remainder.

He will have half a dozen big clubs in his sights, ALL of which will offer him a pay rise should they decide he's their man.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 3:59pm
Undoubtedly. That was a hypothetical.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 2:28pm
Mourinhio has always worked better with the (slightly) underdog team. Spurs might just be the right job for him. And if he's as big a failure as he was at Man United he will be a Spurs legend. Europa Cup, Carabo Cup and finished 2nd. 

The Spursy One Clap
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 2:59pm

Mourinhio has always worked better with the (slightly) underdog team. Spurs might just be the right job for him. And if he's as big a failure as he was at Man United he will be a Spurs legend. Europa Cup, Carabo Cup and finished 2nd. 

The Spursy One Clap

There will only be two outcomes.

One, he wins a couple of trophies, then sods off to a bigger club, his reputation restored, after 2 1/2 or 3 years (max).

Or two, he fails to win trophies (nothing major, at any rate), then sods off in a blaze of recrimination and bad feeling after 2 1/2 or 3 years (max).

In other words, completely short-term, leaving us no better off than when he arrived, and possibly worse, since he will have driven out lots of good players, whilst ignoring all the work the academy and backroon staff were doing at the club.

As for "finishing 2nd", that simply isn't going to happen this season, not least since regardless of what improvements he implements from the start, there is simply too much "traffic" on the road ahead of them to get a clear run at it. And winning eg the EL or Carabao, whilst nice enough for a day out I suppose, simply doesn't cut it against where Spurs fans want to be. (Which is why Spurs fans were so patient when Poch didn't win them)

Above all, if this season is a write-off in terms of Top Four, which it must be, why not give Poch a free shot to turn the club round again, so that if it hasn't happened by June, that's when you say goodbye?

Of course, the only other escape route would be winning the CL itself, and considering Poch's achievement in that last season, even while things were beginning to fall apart elsewhere, he surely must have had as good a chance of winning it this season as Mourinho.

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 3:18pm

The Spursy One Clap

Above all, if this season is a write-off in terms of Top Four, which it must be, why not give Poch a free shot to turn the club round again, so that if it hasn't happened by June, that's when you say goodbye?

Hence the timing of the sacking and the super quick appointment. Levy feels that top 4 is still possible and Spurs need to be there and not be playing on a Thursday night in a state of the art Stadium

Mourinho has come out and gone with the start with a clean slate approach, claims to of studied the game during his time out with new ideas and systems - He's ditched his 15 year long assistant for a 30 year old (with an extremely impressive CV for a 30 year old coach) along with his GK and fitness coach
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Hence the timing of the sacking and the super quick appointment. Levy feels that top 4 is still possible and Spurs need to be there and not be playing on a Thursday night in a state of the art Stadium
How are Spurs going to do that, then?

L'pool and M.City are nailed on, Leicester must be extremely close to it, and as for Chelsea, we're 9 points behind, so even if we beat them twice this season, we'd still have an enormous amount to do to catch them.
Meanwhile, teams like Wolves, Sheff U and even The Arse and Man U could cause us occasional problems along the way.
The only way JM could pull it off is if he made 3 or 4 big signing (minimum).
And even if Levy gave him the money, which he won't, you're not going to get the players you need in January anyhow.

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Mourinho has come out and gone with the start with a clean slate approach, claims to of studied the game during his time out with new ideas and systems - He's ditched his 15 year long assistant for a 30 year old (with an extremely impressive CV for a 30 year old coach) along with his GK and fitness coach
D'ya know, the funniest thing happened me this morning.
I went into the yard to feed the oul pet leopard and blow me, but it had only lost its spots and when I looked closer, sure wasn't it a lovely little labrador puppy I'd been sold by that fella who came to the door.

I can't wait to introduce it to the childer when they get back from school, they'll love Spotty, er, I mean Spotless.

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 2:26pm

The Spursy One Clap

As for "finishing 2nd", that simply isn't going to happen this season, not least since regardless of what improvements he implements from the start, there is simply too much "traffic" on the road ahead of them to get a clear run at it. And winning eg the EL or Carabao, whilst nice enough for a day out I suppose, simply doesn't cut it against where Spurs fans want to be. (Which is why Spurs fans were so patient when Poch didn't win them)

They haven't a hope of finishing 2nd. It was over the course of his few years in charge. 

It'll be Poch who very soon 
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 4:30pm
Dele 2 goals and Sissoko scores. The Jose bounce is in full flow. They don't look any less entertaining than under Poch albeit with plenty of long balls. 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 6:51pm
Alli is a superb player. Between injuries and Pochetino playing him out of position, he's had a rough 18 months or so. The manager change couldn't come quick enough for him personally I think. He'll rip it up playing right off Kane as opposed to last season where he was chasing lads in his own half as they danced past Harry Winks.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 211212213214215 238>
  Share Topic