You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 195196197198199 238>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Harry Winks looked the part today
He’s 23, he bided his time at Spurs
And yet everyone’s losing their sh*t every time Phil Foden doesn’t get on for City at 18 
Aye, like Spurs could sign eg a 25 y.o. Spanish international midfielder for £40m at any time to replace Winks.... Wink

Oh, and Winks is still only 22 (just). His breakthrough season was 2016/17 (33 appearances), when he was 20. Seeing as he's been with Spurs since he was a kid, he'll have known that under a manager like Poch at a club like Spurs, his chance was going to come sooner or later, after which it was up to him to prove he was good enough, which he's doing.

Whereas whether Foden's good enough or not, I can't see him being given the same opportunity by Pep so readily at the Emirates. I mean, if he wouldn't even pick him to start against Burton Bloody Albion at home in a Lge Cup game, preferring the likes of KDB, Mahrez and Silva instead... Ouch 
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 4:47pm
Pep when asked a few weeks ago about Foden going out on loan:

"Phil Foden loan? No way! No way, impossible. He's going to stay with us many, many years. Impossible. Believe me, if he plays, it's because we believe he can play. we are not here to be nice people to bring him on the pitch because he's a Manchester City fan or is a nice guy. It's because we believe he can do it. He's made mistakes and done good things - that's part of the process. Nobody was born knowing everything."

No need to panic, i'll trust Pep on this one.

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 5:04pm

Pep when asked a few weeks ago about Foden going out on loan:

"Phil Foden loan? No way! No way, impossible. He's going to stay with us many, many years. Impossible. Believe me, if he plays, it's because we believe he can play. we are not here to be nice people to bring him on the pitch because he's a Manchester City fan or is a nice guy. It's because we believe he can do it. He's made mistakes and done good things - that's part of the process. Nobody was born knowing everything."

No need to panic, i'll trust Pep on this one.
Actions speak louder than words. 

Fact is, Pep is absolutely ruthless in his quest for success. Now he may genuinely consider Foden to be a KDB or a David Silva in waiting.

But it must be equally likely that he instead sees Foden as a useful squad player, capable of playing in less important cup or European games, or filling in for occasional league games if/when City should have an injury crisis, or until they get to the next transfer window, when City can sign some top seasoned international from abroad for £50m etc.

In which case he'll say whatever it takes to keep Foden at the club on a long contract, on a "cake and eat it" basis.

We'll see.

Edited by Territorial - 21 Jan 2019 at 5:06pm
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 10:10pm
Alli out until March. You’d have to think they’re going to seriously struggle with their injuries. Can see United, Arsenal and Chelsea closing the gap on them.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 12:36am
Think they’ll be ok for top four. Utd’s honeymoon won’t last and both Chelsea and Arsenal have their own problems.

Edited by reddladd - 23 Jan 2019 at 12:36am
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 3:13am
The timing couldn't be worse with cups and top 4 all to play for. Both Alli and Kane out until around the start of March and it could well be a case that neither are back flying it until a good bit after that. So that is a serious dent to their attacking options, but with Son due back in 10 days or so at worst it will relieve the problem somewhat.

Either way, in terms of senior players with Dembele also being sold, Pochettino is really working with a light squad at an exceptionally busy time. The bench in the last couple of weeks has looked very light and it's not going to get any better now. They really could do with adding 1/2 players from midfield up asap. If they don't they better pray the likes of Son, Moura and Sissoko are back involved asap and no more first teamers pick up any injuries.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 7:36am
It's just as well they reached 40 points already, can't see them picking up many points in the next couple of months.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 9:06am
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 9:22am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

It's just as well they reached 40 points already, can't see them picking up many points in the next couple of months.

Did Hans not tell you, Dier is back so nothing to worry about.

Dele or Sissoko aren’t the issue.
It’s the (over) reliance on Kane and it’s been a problem the last few years. Son out makes it worse.

I’ve been saying for years they need another wide forward- no point getting a direct replacement for Kane. Somebody like Martial who was looked at in the summer would be perfect.

Still a decent gap over the chasing pack and Man U honeymoon period will end soon and Chelsea may go into meltdown.
Arsenal have their own problems too.

Top 4 will go down to the wire.

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 10:10am

If you're being serious, that's crazy talk.
They're still well good enough to beat most of the teams in the league. If they'd 37 points now for example they'd still have nothing to worry about.

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 23 Jan 2019 at 10:10am
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 12:10pm

They're still well good enough to beat most of the teams in the league. If they'd 37 points now for example they'd still have nothing to worry about.

I'm not so sure about that, looked at their remaining fixtures and 3 points for the remainder of the season is no guarantee.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 12:57pm

I'm not so sure about that, looked at their remaining fixtures and 3 points for the remainder of the season is no guarantee.

Ah Jesus Baggio, that’s way to easy a catch.

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

The timing couldn't be worse with cups and top 4 all to play for. Both Alli and Kane out until around the start of March and it could well be a case that neither are back flying it until a good bit after that. So that is a serious dent to their attacking options, but with Son due back in 10 days or so at worst it will relieve the problem somewhat.

Either way, in terms of senior players with Dembele also being sold, Pochettino is really working with a light squad at an exceptionally busy time. The bench in the last couple of weeks has looked very light and it's not going to get any better now. They really could do with adding 1/2 players from midfield up asap. If they don't they better pray the likes of Son, Moura and Sissoko are back involved asap and no more first teamers pick up any injuries.

The important question is, is Dier fit and ready? 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 2:50pm
Wanyama, Mousa and Sissoko all trained today.

Dier can replace Kane.

No problem.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Wanyama, Mousa and Sissoko all trained today.

Dier can replace Kane.

No problem.

LOL

Son will be on his way back to Spurs in at worst 10 days on. So if thoseoplayrrs mentioned above are up to speed soon, from the time Son returns they will manage. The problem is that anymore injuries resulting in a few weeks out would be disastrous timing.

In the United game recently the bench was incredibly thin, and that was with Son, Alli and Kane all playing. I don't think they need an out and out CF to come in either, as mentioned a wide forward who can fill in the CF role the odd time would be perfect. I actually think they are badly undermanned in CM also, unless Pochettino trusts Wanyama to come back in and stay fit. If he does, Wanyama will be a massive addition in the last few months of the season.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 3:07pm

I know this is all sarcasm, but there's no fear of Spurs. They will comfortably make top 4. Even with all the injuries, they are a far better side than most in the division.
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 3:45pm
If Son gets injured while away they'll be in serious trouble. The ideal scenario I'd assume would be for South Korea to lose on Friday, I'm sure Son would then be back in time for the Watford game maybe even the Palace one.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

I’ve been saying for years they need another wide forward- no point getting a direct replacement for Kane.
Agree about not trying for a direct replacement (more precisely, back-up) to Kane.  Both Jansen and Llorente have been tried and found wanting.

But as for a wide forward, didn't Moura fall into that category (signed incidentally during the January window)? Also Nkoudou who, although he hasn't worked out, at least demonstrates they are/were trying to solve the problem.

Tbh, even if you exclude VJ and FL, in the absence of Kane, Spurs still have Son, Dele, Moura, even Lamela, as very attack-minded players, plus Erikssen gets his share of goals and Spurs have flyers in Trippier and Rose to attack down the flanks from FB.

Sure, we'd all like to have seen them buy another player or two, but maybe we've just been particularly unlucky of late, rather than being understaffed?

Alternatively, had we been knocked out of the 3 cups earlier, we'd have been much better placed to manage the squad in the league. 

P.S. One other thing. Though it's not something you ever want to rely on, fact is, Harry Kane must be built like a tank, seeing as he's played 256 games, club and country, in just the last four and a half seasons. Pretty phenomenal! 

Edited by Territorial - 23 Jan 2019 at 6:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 195196197198199 238>
  Share Topic