Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 188189190191192 238>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 11:18am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Scheduling has nothing to do with how they performed last night tbh, its the exact same schedule every other team are on.

As I said in the previous post Wolves are being hugely under-credited with their awkward counter attack style where they specifically target full backs and have their winger and full-back double up on him and just shatter him. Did it to Mendy, did it to Young and yesterday Davies was another victim of it.

Wolves are a fine side and one of very few teams outside the top 6 or so to be able to properly rattle the top sides.

That being said, Spurs had a far tougher schedule than the likes of Liverpool. Shorter gaps between games. Spurs now play Tuesday again, Liverpool play Thursday. The rest and recovery time is essential and even if some of the sides Spurs are facing are in a similar boat, it's definitely more of a leveller for the lesser sides facing Spurs.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Sponsored Links

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 11:24am
I agree re Wolves. 
They are a top 10 side and with the financial backing can move upwards.

But Spurs should be beating them at home and I expect they would if they had 2 more days rest.

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 10:44am
Didn't realise Spurs haven't filled the quota for Homegrown players.

Makes sense why they didn't sign anyone/Went public with Toby's release clause. Need to sell before they can buy or he has to be English.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 11:02am

Makes sense why they didn't sign anyone/Went public with Toby's release clause. Need to sell before they can buy or he has to be English.

Vorm goes in the summer and will be replaced with an English keeper.
Dembele and Llorente are out of contract and will be sold in Jan if anybody wants them.
Janssen is not wanted so I suspect will be offloaded soon.

They currently have 6 so are only 2 short.
The keeper will be 1 so just need to add another assuming none of the other homegrown players leave.

Ideally they want to keep Vertonghen and Alderweirld but they are both out of contract in the next 18 months and are looking for that one last big contract.

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Dembele and Llorente are out of contract and will be sold in Jan if anybody wants them.

The keeper will be 1 so just need to add another assuming none of the other homegrown players leave.

Ideally they want to keep Vertonghen and Alderweirld but they are both out of contract in the next 18 months and are looking for that one last big contract.

From what I see. They have 24/25 players registered, but only 7/8 from the Homegrown quota.
Makes sense now why their only interest in the summer was Grealish.

Georges Kevin N'Koudou is the other player Spurs have on their books who's surplus to requirements
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 2:00pm

From what I see. They have 24/25 players registered, but only 7/8 from the Homegrown quota.

Georges Kevin N'Koudou is the other player Spurs have on their books who's surplus to requirements
The irony being that Spurs regularly select 3 or 4 English/home grown players every game, sometimes more.

Whilst eg Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal often struggle to pick one or two.

And I know the big EPL clubs will not tolerate being told who they must select, whilst there are probably employment/EU law considerations too.

But in principle at least, if you are going to have such a requirement, the test should not just be how many home grown players you have on the books, but should also have a minimum participation quota, too (imo).

That way you avoid the situation whereby the likes of Chelsea or City "farm" a load of young prospects in their U-23's, buying them off with huge wages/occasional loans/the odd Carabao appearance etc, before selling them off at a profit when the next generation comes through.

Mind you, City at least may have problems looming on the horizon, esp if they (and Chelsea) should face a mooted transfer embargo for improper youth signings. From March 2017:
"The identities of the four or five youngsters who will be included [in the squad list] has not yet been decided, but young Spanish playmaker Brahim Diaz, promising winger Jadon Sancho and explosive Paolo Fernandes are on the short list, in current form."

Sancho has gone, Diaz is going and Fernandes has spent this season and last on loan at Breda, where he hasn't played that much.

Still, Phil Foden plays every minute of every game, so at least he's all right... 

Edited by Territorial - 31 Dec 2018 at 2:02pm
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

The irony being that Spurs regularly select 3 or 4 English/home grown players every game, sometimes more.

They have 3 English players that are first choice in their positions and start most games. Walker, Stones and Sterling.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

They have 3 English players that are first choice in their positions and start most games. Walker, Stones and Sterling.

Fair point, esp if you include Fabian Delph, who's also appeared a bit recently. City's EPL starters this season have included:

Soton - RS
Leicester - JS, FD, RS
Palace - KW,JS, FD, RS
Everton - KW, FD
Chelsea - KW, JS, FD, RS
Watford - KW, JS, FD
Bournemouth - RS
WHU - KW, FD, RS
MU - KW, JS, RS
Soton - KW, JS, RS
THFC - KW, JS, RS
Burnley - JS
L'pool - KW, JS, RS
BHA - KW, JS
Cardiff - KW, FD, RS
Fulham - KW, FD, RS
Toon - KW, JS, RS
Wolves - KW, RS
Hudds - JS
Arsenal - KW, JS, RS.

I must say, I had thought Pep was rotating his players more - esp KW and JS - but it seems those two and RS are regular starters in the "big" games, with one or two of them usually being rested for the "easy" games.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

But that's the actual poorest thing about Dier. He does press lots of times, when he most definitely shouldn't. Then leaving gaping holes in front of the defence. He doesn't know when to stick or twist in that regard, an awful decision maker. Wanyama is miles and miles ahead of him in these scenarios reading the play defensively.
According to the Daily Mail, also the London Evening Standard, as well as wanting to sell Dembele in January (available on a free in the summer), Spurs are also open to offers for Victor Wanyama...

Pochettino Out!

Moleman In!

LOL
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 11:25pm
I think the bigger problem is that you read the Daily Mail.

Not only is it the worst possible out there but it’s not exactly l’equipe when it comes to football news is it
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 11:33pm

I think the bigger problem is that you read the Daily Mail.
I don't.

A Spurs mate texted me to tell me about it, so I googled it and the DM came up first.

It's also in the London Evening Standard, but what would they know about Spurs?

But heyho, why play the ball when you can play the man? Wacko
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 1:45am

But that's the actual poorest thing about Dier. He does press lots of times, when he most definitely shouldn't. Then leaving gaping holes in front of the defence. He doesn't know when to stick or twist in that regard, an awful decision maker. Wanyama is miles and miles ahead of him in these scenarios reading the play defensively.
According to the Daily Mail, also the London Evening Standard, as well as wanting to sell Dembele in January (available on a free in the summer), Spurs are also open to offers for Victor Wanyama...

Pochettino Out!

Moleman In!

LOL

That doesn't surprise me tbh. There's definitely something not right between Wanyama and the manager. It could be anything, but I'd be guessing that the amount of niggles Wanyama has that he might not play through the pain barrier at certain times. 

The reason a lack of trust in Wanyama could well be true makes sense, because if Pochettino had full trust in him, and Wanyama was regularly fit, there isn't a game that is played where he wouldn't be the favoured starter over Dier. 
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 5:18pm

Eric Dier. Simply abysmal. One of the poorest, dumbest footballers I've ever seen play at such a high level.
The 100 big-5 league players with the highest transfer value according to the exclusive CIES Football Observatory algorithm has Eric in at No.46, worth €81.2m:

That leaves him worth €3m more than eg John Stones - it'd probably be €4m more if he still had his appendix! LOL

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 6:11pm
Raheem Sterling the 4th most valuable player in the world was surprising 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Raheem Sterling the 4th most valuable player in the world was surprising 

Yeah but the value of Sterling is falling
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 6:21pm
Well that puts me back in my box on any issue regarding Eric Dier.

It would make perfect sense for any side to snap up Dier based on such a list who is a long long way ahead of the likes of Varane and Koulibaly LOLLOLLOL

I mean that's what we are doing here right, conflating actual football ability to the value of a contract or potential transfer fee? So Koulibaly and Varane are rightfully behind Dier and Sterling is now a far better player than Messi. Anyone who says differently, I'll just post a link to that list.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 8:35pm

Well that puts me back in my box on any issue regarding Eric Dier.

It would make perfect sense for any side to snap up Dier based on such a list who is a long long way ahead of the likes of Varane and Koulibaly LOLLOLLOL
What with the smilie and the appendix quip, I had hoped even you could see when I'm not being entirely serious. Oh well.

I mean that's what we are doing here right, conflating actual football ability to the value of a contract or potential transfer fee? So Koulibaly and Varane are rightfully behind Dier and Sterling is now a far better player than Messi. Anyone who says differently, I'll just post a link to that list.
I wasn't conflating anything.

But if you really want to play the serious game, answer me this, how many "absolutely abysmal" footballers might fetch even half* the value they assign to Dier's contract?

* - Here's a wee reminder: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/11/manchester-united-eric-dier-tottenham-new-bid
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 8:38pm
Just a tip there Terri, if you’re debating with Hans, using United’s transfer dealings from recent years to support your point just simply won’t work
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 188189190191192 238>
  Share Topic