You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 187188189190191 238>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 12:46am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

This is the most consistent I’ve ever seen Spurs.
Just shows, same manager and mostly the same squad the last few years pays off. They are beating all the teams they should be beating.
Under Poch, Spurs have always had at least as good a second half to the season as the first half:

2014/15 - 1st Half: 31 pts (48%); 2nd Half: 33 pts (52%); Total: 64 pts - Finished 5th.

2015/16 - 1st Half: 35 pts (50%); 2nd Half: 35 pts (50%); Total: 70 pts - Finished 3rd.

2016/17 - 1st Half: 39 pts (45%); 2nd Half: 47 pts (55%); Total: 86 pts - Finished 2nd.

2017/18 - 1st Half: 34 pts (44%); 2nd Half: 43 pts (56%); Total: 77 pts - Finished 3rd.

Total - 1st Half: 139 pts (46.80%); 2nd Half: 158 pts (53.2%); Total 297 pts (Ave.74.25 pts).

This season Spurs are on 45 pts at the half way mark. If they were to repeat their usual average improvement in the second half, they would total 96 points - enough to win the title every season since the inception of the EPL bar last time (M.City 100 pts), including the first three seasons of 42 games each.

Of course, that is a huge "if"... LOL

Still need cover for Kane. No other Spurs player has played more minutes than him.
They have cover everywhere else except up front and Llorente is not trusted.
Ideally, yes.

But which goalscorer worth his salt is going to sign for Spurs and watch from the bench 90% of the time?

The best they can try for is a youngster who shows potential (eg Janssen) or a veteran who doesn't expect to start every game (eg Llorente). Neither worked.

Tbh, I expect that were Spurs to lose HK for a period, they would rely on Son (esp), Dele, Eriksen and Moura to make up the deficit between them, at least in major part, until his return.
Sponsored Links

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 6:23am
Good point terry re the 2nd half performance. Hopefully they can keep it going and I reckon the home form in the new stadium will be excellent.
Big problem is we have Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea away.
Any points from those games is a bonus.

I think the league will be too much but top 4 looks a cert and hopefully we can go far in the champions league and win a domestic cup.

Son is away at the Asian games for a few weeks so he will be a loss.
We need another wide forward who can also play as a CF as cover for Kane. As you say we won’t get a direct replacement.
We’ve had the same problem for a few years now.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 3:34pm
Spurs make 4 changes today from the last game. Thankfully Sissoko is playing brilliant this season as Dier, Wanyama and Dembele are all out for another few weeks. Winks is getting lots of game time too. 
With Foyth and Walker-Peters promoted from the youth team it’s a better squad from last season.

Spurs well on top v Wolves.
Harry Kane with the left foot outside the box. He really does score them from everywhere.

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 4:41pm
Spurs are title contenders LOL
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 4:45pm
The minute Spurs are mentioned as title contenders they lose at home.

I think Liverpool will drop points today myself.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The minute Spurs are mentioned as title contenders they lose at home.

I think Liverpool will drop points today myself.

I can’t see it. That Arsenal team looks pretty weak 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 4:58pm
No energy in the 2nd half - not one shot on target.
I blame the scheduling.

reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 5:40pm
Very leggy in the second half, lacking concentration and making silly unforced errors. Wolves deserved it but thought Kane should have had a peno for the push at 1-2. The fact he went down too easy earlier (the yellow) meant he wouldn't be getting the benefit of any doubt.

I think Spurs get a little to comfortable at times against teams. Lots of possession with the odd burst but very little energy or urgency.

Edited by reddladd - 29 Dec 2018 at 6:26pm
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 6:14pm
Not enough credit given to Wolves.

Only Liverpool they haven’t managed to upset from the top 6 teams. As much as I despise them for their dodgy dealings, they’re adding something to the league
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 9:20pm
Only caught the first half hour of this, but Spurs were totally dominant at that stage. Disastrous result. They are definitely not as sturdy defensively this season in comparison to last season, and way off their defensive form of 2 seasons ago.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Only caught the first half hour of this, but Spurs were totally dominant at that stage. Disastrous result. They are definitely not as sturdy defensively this season in comparison to last season, and way off their defensive form of 2 seasons ago.

Very Harsh
Spurs are having an amazing season. Top 2 and Champions league 2nd round.
Man City have a wage bill that is nearly double Spurs and are currently behind them.
The 6th highest wage bill. Still boxing way above their weight. 

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 11:08pm
Don't think it was harsh at all, or meant to be harsh. I think Spurs are an excellent side and have been for a few years now. They have one of the best managers around over them, who given the circumstances has done a brilliant job since coming in at Spurs and with everything going on this season, has really done incredible work to keep that team stable and performing.

My comments about it being disastrous are based on the fact that Spurs had an outside chance of winning the title. They had done brilliantly recently to get themselves in that position, and today's result blew that apart. So today's result was disastrous. Everyone will now say they were never in the title race, and that's fair enough, but Spurs had a run of 8/9 fixtures including today's one that were very winnable. If they'd kept churning out the wins, who knows how the table might have looked come March for them. Maybe I just hold that team and Pochettino in far higher regard than most, I don't know. I think they were well capable of being there or thereabouts, but that one loss today has killed it.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 29 Dec 2018 at 11:09pm
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 8:58am
I really don’t think it was realistic to have Spurs as title contenders even tho they got to 2nd.
They still have to play Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea away.
They have a crazy fixture list in Jan and are missing a few players.

Top 4 again (4 years running) would be a good season.
A deep run in the champions league or one of the domestic cups would make it a great season.

Defensively they are conceding more goals than last year but you just need to look at who has been playing. It’s not a settled back 4 - due to various reasons we have chopped and changed the back 4 all season.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 10:52am
I struggle to get my head around Spurs. They are contenders, but at the same time you’d be hard pressed not to call the title race for a number of other candidates. 

Having said that, while playing effectively away from home each week, and spending nothing on transfers in 12 months, their current status is exceptional.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 10:53am
I wouldn't disagree with any of that. The only thing I'd say is that when an opportunity comes along to really challenge for the major honours, you have to take it. Spurs, even though they haven't looked like challenging Liverpool this season got into a position where they were in 2nd spot and 6 points off the leaders at the half way stage of the season. It was all about getting the next 5/6 league wins on the board and then seeing the state of play in all competitions at that point. It's just disappointing, because for me they were more than capable of getting those league wins over the next month or 2 to be right in the mix in the PL.

In a broader context, top 4 is a good achievement this season with the stadium issues, no new players brought in, etc. I agree if they win a trophy and finish top 4 it will be a very good season. Pochettino and this group of players are consistently there or thereabouts for the past few years and they have built something very strong and stable at the club now. Top 4 is almost getting taken for granted at this stage and that's an amazing achievement considering how rare that used to happen. Hopefully there's a big CL push now. Would love to see them go far.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 11:00am

No energy in the 2nd half - not one shot on target.
I blame the scheduling.

Bump for Hans....
Spurs had nothing in the tank v Wolves in the 2nd half. It was the 3rd game in 7 days.

With the champions league and 3/4 injuries it was always going to happen that they would drop unnecessary points.

They don’t have enough really good players for all the competitions.

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 30 Dec 2018 at 11:20am

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 11:03am
I know they had a tough schedule Zizu. Again I wouldn't disagree with anything you're pointing out. Their bench yesterday told it's own story, between injuries etc. they really didn't have many attacking options late on when trying to rescue the game. Hopefully Pochettino sticks around and 2/3 quality players are brought in the next year. 
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 11:05am
Scheduling has nothing to do with how they performed last night tbh, its the exact same schedule every other team are on.

As I said in the previous post Wolves are being hugely under-credited with their awkward counter attack style where they specifically target full backs and have their winger and full-back double up on him and just shatter him. Did it to Mendy, did it to Young and yesterday Davies was another victim of it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 187188189190191 238>
  Share Topic