Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 172173174175176 238>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Well beaten yesterday by Girona a team that finished 10th in La Liga. I know preseason games are only about fitness but I think Spurs will struggle this season without any real investment in their side. With Alderweireld and Dembele both rumoured to be leaving and the season starting next week, top 4 might be a huge struggle for them. Can't be relying on the likes of Sissoko and Winks to provide covers for midfield.

Beat Roma(4-1), Milan (1-0) and draw with Barca 2-2.
Nobody mentions it. 

Lose to Girona and now they are going to struggle!!
LOL

If Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea strengthened like Liverpool did then they would struggle for top 4.
As it stands none of them have greatly improved their squads.

Everybody bar City will be fighting for top4. 2 big teams will lose out.

Spurs have a young Squad so will be another years experience under their belt. 
I do feel they need one big signing to boost the fans for the new season. I’d rather they played youngsters than buy 30/40M players to sit on the bench.

Sponsored Links

reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 8:44pm
Grealish probably be the only signing unless they get Zaha but no way will Levy pay the asking price. Lucas has had a good pre season as have others. Wouldn’t be too worried. 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 11:00pm
When are Spurs going to learn they need to improve their team each summer?

DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2018 at 11:31pm
You would think some expert would just give them an oul ody cologne call and tell them wouldn’t YOU
Barna Bee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barna Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 1:01am
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Well beaten yesterday by Girona a team that finished 10th in La Liga. I know preseason games are only about fitness but I think Spurs will struggle this season without any real investment in their side. With Alderweireld and Dembele both rumoured to be leaving and the season starting next week, top 4 might be a huge struggle for them. Can't be relying on the likes of Sissoko and Winks to provide covers for midfield.

A bit lazy this 

Did you see the team Spurs had out? ....recognise many of the names there did you? as i didn't see too many 1st teamers. 

Winks is decent too 

As a fan its always nice to see new names coming in but it looks like it wont happen this window for Spurs ...The club has tied down some players to longe term contracts which is good .

The likes of Moura has had a chance to get a preseason under his belt now and should provide cover on the flanks andlllorente seems to have put his scoring boots on ..

Big Expensive signings means nothing 

Edited by Barna Bee - 06 Aug 2018 at 1:05am
"in di cup for Tottinghang!"
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 6:46am
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

You would think some expert would just give them an oul ody cologne call and tell them wouldn’t YOU

These experts are wasted just sitting on a bar stool telling everybody how one of the best run clubs in world football could be run better.
It really is wasted talent.

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 1:15am
Spurs should comfortably finish top 4 even if the likes of Dembele, Alderweireld move on. Unless the likes of Kane, Alli, Eriksen or Pochettino go, they are easily good enough to finish in the CL spots. 

The problem for Spurs is that this really is the opportunity to make a massive push on the pitch. They really aren't that far off being a really strong team year in year out in the PL and CL, as in actually challenging for those titles, but there's no doubt that the way they go about their transfer business is hurting them a bit. Even if they go and get 2/3 late additions to the squad, there is no time for them to settle. This policy has worked to a degree and there's no doubt that the club and the team are light years ahead of anywhere they've been in the past few decades, but to finally get over the line in one of the big competitions, they really are making life hard for themselves with their late transfer dealings.

It's funny because in one way, I actually think they are a brilliantly run club and brilliantly managed side, yet at the same time i feel like they are falling just short. Maybe I'm just not being relaistic, and I'm expecting more when I see so many good players at the club at the same time! They do plan brilliantly for the future - Trippier was ready to step in when Walker was sold, Sanchez is already nailed on in the side with Alderweireld possibly going. All the while, they are still managing to keep the likes of Kane. Back into their new stadium as well this season, so they are clearly doing plenty right. Would love to see them take that final step soon, but I get the feeling they'll just be short again this season. Should comfortably finish top 4 though.

"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 8:40am
If Alderweireld goes who does that leave at centre half? Sanchez, Vertonghen.....who else?

You would have thought they'd have learned from a few seasons ago when they only signed Llorente and Sissoko and it didn't really improve them. You can't afford to stand still. There are a couple of areas of the team that they could really do with a world class signing to improve the starting XI.

At the minute I wouldn't make them nailed on for top 4. Its probable but not a certainty.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

If Alderweireld goes who does that leave at centre half? Sanchez, Vertonghen.....who else?

You would have thought they'd have learned from a few seasons ago when they only signed Llorente and Sissoko and it didn't really improve them. You can't afford to stand still. There are a couple of areas of the team that they could really do with a world class signing to improve the starting XI.

At the minute I wouldn't make them nailed on for top 4. Its probable but not a certainty.

Yeah Spurs would hate to have another season like that.
After they signed Sissoko 
2nd the league - club record
86pts - club record by over 12 pts
Won 9 epl games in a row - club record

Sky would have you believe you need to buy to improve your squad. You actually can improve your current players and introduce youth players.

They have some young CBs that should get a chance this season.
Carter-Vickers and Foyth are both in their 20’s and promising.
Davies and Dier can also play there.
I’m sure Poch is on the case.

Spurs have been very consistent the last 3 seasons comfortably making top 4. Only City and Spurs have made top 4 in the last 3 seasons which shows throwing loads of money on big players is not always the answer.

Anyway Spurs will never be able to compete financially with City/Chelsea and Man U. They can afford to pay squad players £100k + and have them on the bench.
Players like Mata/Felleini/Herrera didn’t even make some United Squad last season and they would all be on top wages.

Spurs are in that 2nd tier with Arsenal and Liverpool trying to compete with the teams above.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 10:00am
Sorry my mistake, I thought Sissoko joined the summer after they finished 2nd.
They might not be able to compete with City and United financially, but that's no excuse really for them losing two of their better players this summer and not replacing them.

I'm just saying that surely some summer they should buy a few good players early in the transfer window that would improve the team.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Sorry my mistake, I thought Sissoko joined the summer after they finished 2nd.
They might not be able to compete with City and United financially, but that's no excuse really for them losing two of their better players this summer and not replacing them.

I'm just saying that surely some summer they should buy a few good players early in the transfer window that would improve the team.

Totally agree.
Liverpool were very smart this season.

I think the problem has been the crazy fees being quoted.
Spurs were quoted £70m for Zaha..... 

They obviously have money to spend but it’s difficult to find the right players at the right price.
Even Man U and City are finding it difficult. It’s probably worse for them as every club will immediately add on 25%.

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 11:21am
Agree with Zinedine. There are lots of ways of building a team, it doesn't have to take spending non stop millions to get it right. Actually, it's clear that some of the bigger clubs doing that have been running themselves into the ground just buying average player after average player for years now. The problem being then that these lads can't be moved as nobody else will pay similar wages, so the club can be stuck with raft of average players for years to come. Sissoko is an example of that imo. Not sure  if Spurs could move him now even if they were willing. When Spurs sold Walker last season, they didn't go and say let's buy any experienced RB for a massive price tag and wages that most fans would want to see. They had Trippier ready to start, confident that he would get better and better the more he played with the side. Trippier is now one of the finest attacking fbs in the league.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Agree with Zinedine. There are lots of ways of building a team, it doesn't have to take spending non stop millions to get it right. Actually, it's clear that some of the bigger clubs doing that have been running themselves into the ground just buying average player after average player for years now. The problem being then that these lads can't be moved as nobody else will pay similar wages, so the club can be stuck with raft of average players for years to come. Sissoko is an example of that imo. Not sure  if Spurs could move him now even if they were willing. When Spurs sold Walker last season, they didn't go and say let's buy any experienced RB for a massive price tag and wages that most fans would want to see. They had Trippier ready to start, confident that he would get better and better the more he played with the side. Trippier is now one of the finest attacking fbs in the league.

Even if Spurs do sell Sissoko they still owe Newcastle 20+m regardless
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 11:47am

Besides p*ssing away money on Aurier
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by HuntysCousin HuntysCousin wrote:

Besides p*ssing away money on Aurier

Stop telling the truth it doesn't fit Moleman's narrative.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 12:31pm
He did say massive price tag in fairness

Sold walker for £50M and bought Aurier for less than 1/2 that.

HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 1:21pm
By today's standards, 23m isn't a whole lot I agree, but that plus the high wages he is on can certainly be considered a huge waste of money given the state of his performances
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 1:51pm

Spurs should comfortably finish top 4 even if the likes of Dembele, Alderweireld move on. Unless the likes of Kane, Alli, Eriksen or Pochettino go, they are easily good enough to finish in the CL spots. 

The problem for Spurs is that this really is the opportunity to make a massive push on the pitch. They really aren't that far off being a really strong team year in year out in the PL and CL, as in actually challenging for those titles, but there's no doubt that the way they go about their transfer business is hurting them a bit. Even if they go and get 2/3 late additions to the squad, there is no time for them to settle. This policy has worked to a degree and there's no doubt that the club and the team are light years ahead of anywhere they've been in the past few decades, but to finally get over the line in one of the big competitions, they really are making life hard for themselves with their late transfer dealings.

It's funny because in one way, I actually think they are a brilliantly run club and brilliantly managed side, yet at the same time i feel like they are falling just short. Maybe I'm just not being relaistic, and I'm expecting more when I see so many good players at the club at the same time! They do plan brilliantly for the future - Trippier was ready to step in when Walker was sold, Sanchez is already nailed on in the side with Alderweireld possibly going. All the while, they are still managing to keep the likes of Kane. Back into their new stadium as well this season, so they are clearly doing plenty right. Would love to see them take that final step soon, but I get the feeling they'll just be short again this season. Should comfortably finish top 4 though.

I know the ips are different an all that but I feel like I'm reading SirAlex here
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 172173174175176 238>
  Share Topic