Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tottenham Hotspur Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 152153154155156 238>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 9:09am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Pochettino on his players diving vs Liverpool: “Football is about trying to trick your opponent. When you do tactics, it is to try to trick the opponent. When I was a player, it was part of training to learn to cheat."
This is a very Argentine viewpoint. They have a word for it (which I can't remember) that basically means cunning but not in the negative sense!  
Yes Maradona described his Hand of God using that term.

Didn't Mickey Owen fall over his shoelace when Pochettino challenged him winning the penalty that allowed England beat Argentina in 2002 WC ? 
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Sponsored Links

Reildogg View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reildogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Do people see diving as being any different to doping?

The reason for both is to gain an unfair advantage.

I would compare diving more to the "rough them up" a bit approach; or, the dragging at corners etc. Like if attacking players are being fouled consistently, I genuinely wouldn't expect them not to dive.

There is this illogical acceptance of leaving your leg in on someone or being overly physical with players as "part of the game" while outrage and abhorrence towards diving as it "ruins the game".I view them equally - against the rules - and don't understand why a dive is more morally reprehensible than a cynical foul or a late tackle.

Maybe biased due to the position I play, but if someone like Sanchez, Hazard, Zaha are getting booted regularly, good luck to them 'winning' fouls as a counter measure. As Pep said, "they are the artists"
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 10:29am
Cynical fouling is just as bad as diving. 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 10:35am
As much as I hate diving and cynical fouling, it is feigning injury that has been the biggest blight on the game as a spectacle.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 1:45pm
Harry Kane, who else.
Spurs have Arsenal in the ropes here, need to get a second.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

As much as I hate diving and cynical fouling, it is feigning injury that has been the biggest blight on the game as a spectacle.

Agree -
I find it hard to watch Spanish football with players pretending to be shot.
They should make players go off the field for 5 mins of treatment to stop 90% of this.

Hate cynical fowling too - a yellow card is not enough punishment IMO.
They need to introduce a 10 min sin bin or something to stop it.

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 2:15pm
Spurs far superior to Arsenal! Dembele is a class act.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Agree -
I find it hard to watch Spanish football with players pretending to be shot.
They should make players go off the field for 5 mins of treatment to stop 90% of this.

Hate cynical fowling too - a yellow card is not enough punishment IMO.
They need to introduce a 10 min sin bin or something to stop it.
I just think they need to book them for unsporting behaviour.
 I also think that, in certain instances, it can be a foul and a dive and that both players should be punished.
 Agree on cynical fowling, they should be tarred and feathered. Joking aside, I think any tackle where there is no attempt to play the ball, anywhere, should be a straight red. I detest these 'take one for the team' tackles.
deiseblue View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deiseblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 2:58pm
Spurs totally dominant but extremely wasteful against a clueless Arsenal
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by deiseblue deiseblue wrote:

Spurs totally dominant but extremely wasteful against a clueless Arsenal

Yeah it should have been 3/4 goals by the end.

Largest ever PL attendance - 83K

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 3:05pm
Saw the 2nd half in the gym (out of all places)

Kane’s header was world class, the missed header was easier than the one he scored and missed another chance 2 mins later, should of had a hattrick within a 5
minute window.
Then you had Son and Lamela queuing up for missed chances.

1-0 flattered Arsenal it could of easily turned embarrassing for them on
another day
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2018 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Saw the 2nd half in the gym (out of all places)

Kane’s header was world class, the missed header was easier than the one he scored and missed another chance 2 mins later, should of had a hattrick within a 5
minute window.
Then you had Son and Lamela queuing up for missed chances.

1-0 flattered Arsenal it could of easily turned embarrassing for them on
another day

Your favourite show Arsenal Fan TV will be comedy gold after that defeat LOLWink
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 9:40am
Great return for Spurs against their nearest rivals for a Champions league spot. 3 games 7 points. Chelsea away and City at home in April are the games left against top 6. They could have a very good run in. Utd have to play Chelsea, Liverpool, City and Aresnal.
Juventus next up and a good performance in Turin will make it a very successful 2 weeks.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 10:26am
Could have put 6/7 past Arsenal. That last week or so will be the start of a big run in the league I think. Should comfortably finish top 4 yet imo. The Juve game will tell a lot of how this Spurs team has come and how far they still have to go. Serious test, I think it will go right to the wire. Really tough one to call. Juves ability to grind results out is incredible. Really looking forward to this tie.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 10:30am
This is the time in the season when Spurs start to motor. They tend to have a slow start, drop silly points in August to October, then get warmed up and start to show their true potential around now, but are usually out of contention at this stage to be real live title challengers.

Begs the question, could they start a season in better form and put it all together

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 12 Feb 2018 at 10:31am
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 10:42am

This is the time in the season when Spurs start to motor. They tend to have a slow start, drop silly points in August to October, then get warmed up and start to show their true potential around now, but are usually out of contention at this stage to be real live title challengers.

Begs the question, could they start a season in better form and put it all together

I think overall the Spurs players will be hugely disappointed they are not closer to City in the table. They are miles better than their points tally currently shows. Went on an amazing run at this stage last season, that nearly reeled Chelsea in at the top. Still cup and CL available to them, CL obviously a long shot but not impossible at all. Would love to see them win the FA Cup as they really should something to show for how good they've been in the past couple of years.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 10:50am

Interesting analysis. I didn’t know this was a trend with Spurs.
How many times would you say this happened in the last 10 seasons?

I’m sure Spurs were the last unbeaten side in the EPL last season and Chelsea lost 2 out of the first 5. And then won 13 in a row!

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 10:53am
Spurs may have been the last unbeaten side but they had plenty of draws early last season that hurt them badly later. It was their incredible run in (was it 14 wins out of 15 or something), that gave them a small shot at the title. So last season and this, it's definitely some bit true to say they've started slower and come good towards the 2nd half of the season.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 152153154155156 238>
  Share Topic